Darlington v AFC Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v AFC Telford

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Absolutely terrific performance from everyone. Hughes was fabulous as a centre half and rightly was awarded the MOTM. But there were many great performances, really chuffed for Maddison in keeping a clean sheet. Hopefully that'll silence the Tommy knockers, happy days. Remember we were playing the second placed side and we made them look very ordinary.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 pm

I don't often get the chance to blow my own trumpet but on this occasion I will ;

'from the Galbraith thread'

Agreed with that big fella Denton coming, it might be the right time to try Hughes at CB, its got to be worth a try, you never know this could be , 'why didn't we play him there before' situations, and as we are leaking goals anyway its got to be a shot.
:D :clap:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Absolutely terrific performance from everyone. Hughes was fabulous as a centre half and rightly was awarded the MOTM. But there were many great performances, really chuffed for Maddison in keeping a clean sheet. Hopefully that'll silence the Tommy knockers, happy days. Remember we were playing the second placed side and we made them look very ordinary.
Hughes & Galbraith - first choice centre-backs going forward? Happy for Hughes after receiving stick (including from me). I still maintain that he’s not a defensive midfielder. Hasn’t got the speed or stamina. Seems to be suited to centre-back and might be worth a shout as a CAM but defo not in the engine room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Really enjoyed the game some great goals the first was a result of excellent passing a clean strike, brilliant effort from the whole team, and that’s what it was a team performance.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Thought the ref had a really good game as well. It was great to see Saunders score a quality goal, he certainly is full of energy closing down there defenders and keeper.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Clean sheet, great win against #2 in league without several key players. Youngsters stepped up and Wheatley return.
Only bug was I missed the game..... :mrgreen:
What was the attendance?

aveda

Post by aveda » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:11 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Absolutely terrific performance from everyone. Hughes was fabulous as a centre half and rightly was awarded the MOTM. But there were many great performances, really chuffed for Maddison in keeping a clean sheet. Hopefully that'll silence the Tommy knockers, happy days. Remember we were playing the second placed side and we made them look very ordinary.
Hughes & Galbraith - first choice centre-backs going forward? Happy for Hughes after receiving stick (including from me). I still maintain that he’s not a defensive midfielder. Hasn’t got the speed or stamina. Seems to be suited to centre-back and might be worth a shout as a CAM but defo not in the engine room.

I think today was Burn's best performance so far. He and Hughes deserve the chance to show today was no flash in the pan. No need to rush Galbraith back

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Complete performance, never looked like conceding and could have scored more. Great save from their 2nd half keeper to push Saunders' header on to the bar and Syers hit the post as well. Trotman is looking more and more like a right-winger, gave their left back a tough game.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

divas

Post by divas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:10 pm

poppyfield wrote:I don't often get the chance to blow my own trumpet but on this occasion I will ;

'from the Galbraith thread'

Agreed with that big fella Denton coming, it might be the right time to try Hughes at CB, its got to be worth a try, you never know this could be , 'why didn't we play him there before' situations, and as we are leaking goals anyway its got to be a shot.
:D :clap:
Well done. Shame I’d already mentioned it about 5 posts before ;)

It was pretty obvious that his stature was what we were missing at the back but he was even more than that. He started off two of the attacks that we scored from. Proper chuffed for the lad who made some personal sacrifices to come and play here and hopefully he can continue in a simile vein.

Ironic that arguably our two best centre halves were signed as a midfielder and a striker.

Big decisions to be made by Tommy for the Southport game.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm

One of those games when I thought every Darlo player had a good game. Thought Saunders was quiet in the first half, he was isolated, but you can never question his effort. Second half he was really good. Thought Thommo was quiet most the game, however I dont think that head injury helped, he has a fantastic leap for one of the smallest players on the pitch, and the goal kicks are always sent in his direction - just shows that size isn't everything in football!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Fantastic performance. That is all.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:37 pm

An all round great team performance,
Hughes most definitely man of the match could easily have been more goals but darlington were the better team by a good margin and deserved the win. Onwards and upwards with Darlington fc, this is a tight league every team can beat any other team at the moment.

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Darlo2807 wrote:Hughes MOM, completely deserved. Brilliant defensive performance
This is spot on.
Hughes was exceptionally good today. Never put a foot wrong, relieved pressure regularly and had time to pick passes which he has the skill to deliver
He was not alone though, the whole team worked hard and were rewarded for their efforts and teamwork

Fans Lottery Admin

Post by Fans Lottery Admin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:48 pm

jjljks wrote:Clean sheet, great win against #2 in league without several key players. Youngsters stepped up and Wheatley return.
Only bug was I missed the game..... :mrgreen:
What was the attendance?
Attendance was 1212

(you missed a treat!)

darlogabbas

Post by darlogabbas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Just back from a few beers to celebrate our first home win, great game today by ALL the players Hughes and Tommo stood out for me.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Darlo2807 wrote:Hughes MOM, completely deserved. Brilliant defensive performance
This is spot on.
Hughes was exceptionally good today. Never put a foot wrong, relieved pressure regularly and had time to pick passes which he has the skill to deliver
He was not alone though, the whole team worked hard and were rewarded for their efforts and teamwork
Whilst I would never want to change a winning team after a performance like today, the long term prospect of Hughes and Galbraith at the back is very promising as their ability on the ball could be far above any other pairing at this level.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:56 pm

As much as I criticised Hughes 14 days ago I will praise him today. Very rarely have I seen a performance as good as that. I can’t remember a misplaced pass, an unwon header or a missed tackle. It was a rare 10/10 performance for me. Very pleased for him too. We looked untroubled for the vast majority of the game and the midfield were exceptional as was Harvey chasing everything. I can’t fault anyone today even Glover’s few minutes were very tidy. More of the same please. Tricky decisions for Tommy next week.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Unbelievable. We play hopelessly and then hammer an undefeated team with a weakened side. But let’s face it this darling and almost expected.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Thought the crowd today was pretty good, considering we'd had a run of defeats at home and then the steady rain in the lead up to the game didn't help either. Poor turnout from Telford. If we'd been in there position we'd have taken 300 to 400 down to Telford.

darlogabbas

Post by darlogabbas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Do all the twitter haters luv TW now?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 pm

What a great game and well deserved result against the second top (unbeaten team). Everyone put in a full shift today, attacking and defending as a team and closing down quickly.
Hughes and Burn solid in the centre, Hughes dominant in the air, good distribution and very aware, and Burn clearing up on the ground. Trotman, Thommo, O'Hanlon and Nicholson all showing attacking focus but also covering for each other in defence. Elliott and Wheatley excellent, full of energy and running the show in midfield. Syres gave us something extra up front, with Saunders full of running and took goal well. Maddison in goal being solid as a rock.
Totally dominated the game, and those not able to make the game, or just not turned up missed a treat. Difficult decision for TW next week with additional players expected back (Hope Elliott and Wheatley recover).

The team has shown in several games this year that they are good enough to challenge in this league and this was another one.

"Up the Quakers"

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:11 am

darlogabbas wrote:Do all the twitter haters luv TW now?
Not really, 'one swallow, doesn't a summer make'. Yes a good result but we'll see what happens against Southport away, whoever we get in the cup in a fortnight and Stockport.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Not really, 'one swallow, doesn't a summer make'. Yes a good result but we'll see what happens against Southport away, whoever we get in the cup in a fortnight and Stockport.
Stockport will have MG in charge by then

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Stockport will have MG in charge by then

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Well that'd be a help I guess. :twisted:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:15 am

Well worth the trip up from Mancland (and cancelled train going back) to watch the lads yesterday.

All were fantastic from the off.

For a smaller guy Nicholson doesnt half put himself about,he was the same at Ashton on a crap slopping pitch.Having Wheatley,Elliot and Syers around gave him a chance to really play.

Liam Hughes.......I would never have thought he could play like that at Centre Back but wow.....what a performance.By his own admission hes not fully fit yet ( lost a lot of weight since I last saw him at Kiddy though ) so can see now why Tommy signed him.

This is a good team when all fit and just hope Tommy keeps a similar team and formation for the next game at Southport.

An added bonus for the day was meeting Darlo Dodger who had also travelled up from Manchester for the game.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:42 am

How important is Wheatley to the way we play? Interested to hear thoughts. It doesn't seem a huge coincidence to me that we are a much better side with him in it. We really could use some kind of back up to him, if we can find one.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am

H1987 wrote:How important is Wheatley to the way we play? Interested to hear thoughts. It doesn't seem a huge coincidence to me that we are a much better side with him in it. We really could use some kind of back up to him, if we can find one.
Have to agree about his importance to the side. I noticed several times yesterday how he went about things with a quiet authority that shows total confidence in his own ability. He had a lot of potential last season but his call up and the academy have certainly put an extra gloss on this.
It seems that in a side that clearly has ability but has lost some confidence due to a poor set of results we needed that little bit of swagger that Wheatley brings to the side. You could certainly see that getting others in the side to play up to their potential in what was a wonderfully uplifting performance. Just need to do that another 30 odd times and we'll be alright this season.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:51 pm

Great performance all round. Very pleased for Hughes to put in such a good performance. The 451 system seems to suit our players much more - but of course no room for both Ainge and Styche

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm

I wasn’t there yesterday but it sounded like a strong performance. Personally from the games that I have seen this season Wheatley is instrumental in the middle and he has really gone up another gear since last season. Both him and Elliot have been outstanding when paired together.

Great to hear that Hughes had a good game at centre-half, personally I felt that he did well there against Alfreton coming up against Denton albeit only for 10-15 minutes or so. Having listened to his interview it sounds like he’s putting in a lot of hard work behind the scenes to get back to full-fitness.

I mentioned 4-5-1 a couple of weeks ago and that seemed to work yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised to see TW go 4-4-2 against Southport with the return of Styche and Ainge although I would like to see us set-up exactly the same as yesterday.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I think if you look at the league table and add the 2 points on that we should have got against Blyth then I would have thought that would have been a fair assessment on how we’ve been.

Perhaps another 2 points away to spenny would take us close to playoffs