Darlington V Alfreton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Beano
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Alfreton Match Thread

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Quakerz wrote:Not happy with the results obviously, but fuck me we've been unlucky with injuries and that hasn't helped.

I'm happy to see TW get until christmas, no point getting rid so soon - who knows, he might take us on a cup run.

What we need to remember is that for a club of this level a manager has to have one eye on the off field, it's not just about on the field.

TW has successfully wheeled, dealed, brought the budget down, brought in transfer fees, it cannot be overstated how important this is. He needs to be given the opportunity to have a go at the cups as well.

Don't press the panic button yet people.
Unless we’re threatened with relegation, which I feel is very unlikely to be the case, he needs the full season.

We don’t have the money to bin and replace the management team and playing squad at the first sign of difficulty, nor do I want us to be that type of club.

We’ve played very well in spells, awful in others, but from what I’ve seen we could been sat on 3-4 wins on a different days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am

Yep, I don’t think DJ would make any rash decisions either - as a club we need stability.

TW deserves a fair few more games yet IMO, we’re not even in a position to even consider replacing TW so early in the season because things aren’t going our way.

I still think there’s a lot more to come from this team too. A few weeks ago after Blyth we were 1-2-1, should have been 3-0-1. Since then Wheatley has been a big-miss and we’ve been unlucky with injuries. Styche & Ainge = Goals and that has been taken away the last few games.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am

Alfreton were my outside team to win the league because of the manager and money they have spent... Yesterday they won YES but did not outplay us and maybe if we had a full team to select from the result could of been better they wernt outstanding but got an ugly 1-0, god we would take that right now

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:39 am

Quakers83 wrote:Yep, I don’t think DJ would make any rash decisions either - as a club we need stability.

TW deserves a fair few more games yet IMO, we’re not even in a position to even consider replacing TW so early in the season because things aren’t going our way.

I still think there’s a lot more to come from this team too. A few weeks ago after Blyth we were 1-2-1, should have been 3-0-1. Since then Wheatley has been a big-miss and we’ve been unlucky with injuries. Styche & Ainge = Goals and that has been taken away the last few games.
Tactics from TW not great before or during the game, injuries happen to all teams,fan numbers falling spectacularly(soon back to 1000 hardcore) but if we are knocked out of FA Cup and FA Trophy early on as usual then for sure by November we will have another managerial change.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 am

In fairness to Tommy, losing 5 players out of our squad is a massive blow and the starting 11 pretty much picked itself.My gripe is playing one of the best strikers in the league wide on the left....Harvey should have played there with his pace, and not bringing in a loan player to play LB.Would other teams play there main striker on the left wing to keep stifle Trotman ?.Anyway possibly 4 players back this Saturday, a must win game, no excuses and let's start a run going.Got to stay positive.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:Yep, I don’t think DJ would make any rash decisions either - as a club we need stability.

Tactics from TW not great before or during the game, injuries happen to all teams,fan numbers falling spectacularly(soon back to 1000 hardcore) but if we are knocked out of FA Cup and FA Trophy early on as usual then for sure by November we will have another managerial change.
If TW does go I would like Alan White to be given a chance. I think we have lost our focus - we are a part time North East club, and a majority of our players ideally should be from the North East, whereas now it seems that it is a minority. Yes that may have got to where we are and maybe we are at the limit of the talent pool in the area, but we still should be able to pick up some very good talented players who have roots in the North East. Hopefully TW will turn it around, but we need a couple of more additions.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 am

Looking back at the comments on this and the TW tactics thread there do seem to be enough of our posters who are either wanting or expecting a change of manager as they believe without it our season will be over before it has begun. I confess to being one of those less certain members of our community who would, I hope, be more in line with the greater number of fans who want to give it a little more time and see how things pan out. All this deadline setting for when we need to get TW out by seems rather premature.

I know that the expectation levels are higher than they were in the middle of last season, but given the new players, a couple of sendings off, and the injury impact on a small squad I'm more inclined to go with what Dave Syers has been saying in his post match interview, that the team just need the kick start of a couple of games to go their way and get the confidence flowing.

When things do start to look a bit bleak and life seems to be kicking your team in the teeth, I like to remind myself of the 95-96 season. That year there was a team in our division that began with 6 straight losses (two cup, four league). That was Plymouth Argyle who ended up beating us in our first play-off final. Can't see any opera dames warbling just yet so let's just hold on and see what happens when we have more of our players available.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 am

Rather than getting rid of TW could we promote AW to joint manager rather than assistant. AW is far more tactically savvy and as an equal could hopefully have more say in what tactics we use. In his interview post Ashton he knew what was needed to sort out our defence but at the moment doesn't have the power to implement his ideas.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:33 am

Maybe to be fair to everyone it's best to take a longer term view of TW's managerial record over more than a season.

If you include his time in charge of both Nuneaton and Darlington over the course of last season and this season so far his record is:
Played 48, Won 14, Drawn 13, Lost 21. That's a win ratio of 29.17%.

His Darlington record since he was appointed in October last year is:
Played 34, Won 10, Drawn 10, Lost 14. That's a win percentage of 29.41%.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:

If TW does go I would like Alan White to be given a chance. I think we have lost our focus - we are a part time North East club, and a majority of our players ideally should be from the North East, whereas now it seems that it is a minority. Yes that may have got to where we are and maybe we are at the limit of the talent pool in the area, but we still should be able to pick up some very good talented players who have roots in the North East. Hopefully TW will turn it around, but we need a couple of more additions.
A part time north east club who are competing with some other part time big spenders in our area. Players with roots in our area? isnt that how weve got Jonny Burn?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:17 am

en passant wrote: Looking back at the comments on this and the TW tactics thread there do seem to be enough of our posters who are either wanting or expecting a change of manager as they believe without it our season will be over before it has begun. I confess to being one of those less certain members of our community who would, I hope, be more in line with the greater number of fans who want to give it a little more time and see how things pan out. All this deadline setting for when we need to get TW out by seems rather premature.

Yep, agree. The people wanting a change of manager need to settle themselves down a little. We've had a tough run of games, we've had players missing, we haven't had much luck in front of goal.

T.W. could maybe be criticised for some of his transfers in and out but it's too early to judge that now.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:46 am

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:

A part time north east club who are competing with some other part time big spenders in our area. Players with roots in our area? isnt that how weve got Jonny Burn?
And Madisson.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
en passant wrote: Looking back at the comments on this and the TW tactics thread there do seem to be enough of our posters who are either wanting or expecting a change of manager as they believe without it our season will be over before it has begun. I confess to being one of those less certain members of our community who would, I hope, be more in line with the greater number of fans who want to give it a little more time and see how things pan out. All this deadline setting for when we need to get TW out by seems rather premature.

Yep, agree. The people wanting a change of manager need to settle themselves down a little. We've had a tough run of games, we've had players missing, we haven't had much luck in front of goal.
When do you stop making excuses for him? People say it's too early etc - he's been here nearly a year. Are we any further forward? No we're not. As for tough start, we beat Brackley and put in a good performance v Spennymoor. It's nothing to do with a lack of ability in the squad as clearly we have that. But can TW draw out our potential?

Yes he's had a budget cut, but according to our chief executive, TW's budget is still competitive. I don't for one minute believe it's a bottom third budget.

Every time it's gone wrong for TW, people have made excuses. Injuries, bad luck, bad referees, a tough start, suspensions, or when all else fails, blame MG.

I'm sorry but TW's record across his career is mediocre at best. I'm not agitating for a change yet because I think TW earned the chance to prove himself last season.

But with poor tactics and unconvincing signings, he's blowing that. As I said elsewhere, if we continue to struggle, at some point we need to question how long we leave it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

When do you stop making excuses for him? People say it's too early etc - he's been here nearly a year. Are we any further forward? No we're not. As for tough start, we beat Brackley and put in a good performance v Spennymoor. It's nothing to do with a lack of ability in the squad as clearly we have that. But can TW draw out our potential?

Yes he's had a budget cut, but according to our chief executive, TW's budget is still competitive. I don't for one minute believe it's a bottom third budget.

Every time it's gone wrong for TW, people have made excuses. Injuries, bad luck, bad referees, a tough start, suspensions, or when all else fails, blame MG.

I'm sorry but TW's record across his career is mediocre at best. I'm not agitating for a change yet because I think TW earned the chance to prove himself last season.

But with poor tactics and unconvincing signings, he's blowing that. As I said elsewhere, if we continue to struggle, at some point we need to question how long we leave it.
I agree with this, people are talking like he's only been appointed in the off season... there was a stat above where his win record with us and Nuneaton.. a professional side, is less than a third... I'm sorry but which part of that convinces people he's the answer?

Those saying this is our ceiling - it isn't! not my words, our Chairman's. Johnston has stated we have a competitive budget in this league. We have the 8th highest average attendance out of 22 teams... if we were in the south we'd have the third highest... we'd be in the top ten in the National League with our current gates, and I'm sure they'd rise if we were promoted so we'd probably be in the top 6 or 7.

Alfreton and BPA are in the top 4 in the league yet they have the 18th and 20th highest in the league. We are a far more sustainable propopsition than these clubs.

Our ultimate goal is to succeed through operating within our means and over achieving. At the moment we are under achieving. We need a manager who can get the best and more out of our players and also have an eye for a player. His recruitment has been mixed, some good, some bad... but he's not getting, nor has he ever really gotten the best out of our squad.

Johnston seems like a man to not make snap decisions, but Wright has to improve, or else his position is completely untenable. Hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not confident.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Darlogramps wrote:As I said elsewhere, if we continue to struggle, at some point we need to question how long we leave it.
That's what I was saying, it's just that "some point" isn't now.
SwansQuaker83 wrote:We have the 8th highest average attendance out of 22 teams... if we were in the south we'd have the third highest... we'd be in the top ten in the National League with our current gates, and I'm sure they'd rise if we were promoted so we'd probably be in the top 6 or 7.
We're not in the South so that's irrelevant - and in fact attendances aren't the be all and end all, it's how much money you can raise to put towards the playing budget, that's what counts!

So looking at Alfreton’s goal it seems we were half asleep. When it happened I noticed when the ball reached Denton, Hughes hardly jumped and the 2nd defender got there late, after the flick on, the video shows (to me) that the scorer had too much room - Ainge wasn’t tight enough or quick enough react.

A bit of work for A.W. to do.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:As I said elsewhere, if we continue to struggle, at some point we need to question how long we leave it.
SwansQuaker83 wrote:We have the 8th highest average attendance out of 22 teams... if we were in the south we'd have the third highest... we'd be in the top ten in the National League with our current gates, and I'm sure they'd rise if we were promoted so we'd probably be in the top 6 or 7.
We're not in the South so that's irrelevant - and in fact attendances aren't the be all and end all, it's how much money you can raise to put towards the playing budget, that's what counts!

So looking at Alfreton’s goal it seems we were half asleep. When it happened I noticed when the ball reached Denton, Hughes hardly jumped and the 2nd defender got there late, after the flick on, the video shows (to me) that the scorer had too much room - Ainge wasn’t tight enough or quick enough react.

A bit of work for A.W. to do.
At this level attendance is a huge part of our core income and sustainability.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:16 pm

We may have a competitive budget, but we were hardly inundated with managers applying for the vacant post and once one heard the budget we had he fucked off back up the road.

Tells you all you need to know. We aren't going out and bringing anybody else in so we are where we are, if Caton/Collins want to move on then lets hope they do quickly so we can pay players who want to play for the club.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:54 pm

dfc4me wrote:Rather than getting rid of TW could we promote AW to joint manager rather than assistant. AW is far more tactically savvy and as an equal could hopefully have more say in what tactics we use. In his interview post Ashton he knew what was needed to sort out our defence but at the moment doesn't have the power to implement his ideas.
If our assistant manager can’t influence the team then pray to god if he is let anywhere near a managers job. This whole post is surely a wind up?
TDS wrote:If Caton/Collins want to move on then lets hope they do quickly so we can pay players who want to play for the club.
James Caton plays for Warrington now.

To be fair I agree with Darlogramps. Tommy has earned the right to stay and time to get the team to gel. The defensive frailties could be down to familiarity / confidence more than anything. He does need to start getting some results sooner rather than later though.

Those saying Nuneaton were full time whilst strictly true it was basically a team of YTS players - proof is that we’ve managed to sign these so called ‘full time’ players on a part-time budget.

I’ll be honest from a far there are mixed messages. Some are saying organisationally we look shambolic others are saying we played well and actually were unfortunate not to win. All that really says to me is that people have already made their minds up - those who already didn’t like TW are saying the former those who like him are saying the latter.

I expect the truth is somewhere in the middle - we look like we can play but we are not playing to our strengths and individual errors and lack of confidence is costing us at crucial moments.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 pm

We’re exactly where we where pre Leamington last season. Playing some good stuff but not being ruthless enough in either box. A couple of signings (Heaton & Pears) steadied the ship last time. Let’s see what he can do this time.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:06 pm

lo36789 wrote:James Caton plays for Warrington now.
Permanently? Do you think they will pay him what Gray did? Doubt it.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Gray didn't pay the players. We did.
TDS wrote:
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Was about to say, a lot of the comments sound similar to pre-Leamington - ie individual mistakes and poor decisions are costing us. Remember last season Talbot getting sent off in the last minutes of a game we were clinging on to and Styche's infamous penalty miss. Stupid individual stuff that strips back any good work done by the collective team.
divas wrote:We’re exactly where we where pre Leamington last season. Playing some good stuff but not being ruthless enough in either box. A couple of signings (Heaton & Pears) steadied the ship last time. Let’s see what he can do this time.

DC

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Spyman wrote:Gray didn't pay the players. We did.
TDS wrote:
And we still are, which was my point before your non-point.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
OK then - that's fair enough. But at what point, for you, would you start considering a managerial change? How bad would things have to get?

For me, I agree there's no need for hitting the red panic button now. But certainly in the next 5-10 games, we need to see a greater consistency in team selection (no more putting Styche on the left wing, for example), improvement in performances and obviously for us to be picking up more points.

No win in five, one win all season (of which we're 20% of the way through now) and no clean sheets is not good enough, regardless of the excuses people come up with.

feethams

Post by feethams » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

It looked to me that Styche was moved out wide because we could hit him as a target man, and have him bring the ball back inside, as opposed to him being out fought by their two centre backs in the middle who were pretty big guys.

I don't think us being thin on the ground can be fully blamed on TW. He didn't expect to have Heaton leave, and I think from memory that a few of the South Shields boys weren't expected to go either (Turnbull / Hunter) which didn't help.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 am

feethams wrote:It looked to me that Styche was moved out wide because we could hit him as a target man, and have him bring the ball back inside, as opposed to him being out fought by their two centre backs in the middle who were pretty big guys.

I don't think us being thin on the ground can be fully blamed on TW. He didn't expect to have Heaton leave, and I think from memory that a few of the South Shields boys weren't expected to go either (Turnbull / Hunter) which didn't help.
Styche was moved to the left to press their right back, i wasn't too concerned with that as a plan as I did feel that with he makeshift back 4 and the goal threat they had it made sense to try and cut off a large part of that threat at source. I'd rather have put harvey there to press, but I do think with it being styche their RB had a lot more to think about.

Probably should have switched it about early on though so our biggest goal threat was in front of goal.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:25 am

feethams wrote:It looked to me that Styche was moved out wide because we could hit him as a target man, and have him bring the ball back inside, as opposed to him being out fought by their two centre backs in the middle who were pretty big guys.
To me though, rather than nullifying your main goal threat by playing wide and out of position, you just get him to drop deeper and get one of the midfielders to push further forward.

It mixes things up and poses more questions of their centre backs. Or you use Styche to tie up the defence, move the centre backs about and create more space for Thompson, Saunders and Syers.

Just about every side will target Styche because it's no secret he's our main goal threat. So it's about how we respond and moving our main goal threat away from goal doesn't seem sensible.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
OK then - that's fair enough. But at what point, for you, would you start considering a managerial change? How bad would things have to get?

For me, I agree there's no need for hitting the red panic button now. But certainly in the next 5-10 games, we need to see a greater consistency in team selection (no more putting Styche on the left wing, for example), improvement in performances and obviously for us to be picking up more points.

No win in five, one win all season (of which we're 20% of the way through now) and no clean sheets is not good enough, regardless of the excuses people come up with.
My thoughts on our managerial situation at present are still positive. I still feel that T.W. will get things sorted but obviously this may not be the case, so in answer to your question I would go at least until the end of your proposed time scale, 10 games plus - which takes us into December.

At this point, if we are still out of sorts, we should start "considering"
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm

The difference between the Alfreton game and the Altrincham game the week before, is absolutely massive. We played pretty well against Alfreton. On another day we could have won that game. I thought it was telling that at the end of the game, the team got a standing ovation from most of the fans left in the ground. Hopefully we'll get a few of our key players back for this Saturday.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:The difference between the Alfreton game and the Altrincham game the week before, is absolutely massive. We played pretty well against Alfreton. On another day we could have won that game. I thought it was telling that at the end of the game, the team got a standing ovation from most of the fans left in the ground. Hopefully we'll get a few of our key players back for this Saturday.
I think standing ovation is a bit over the top, essentially most people are stood up at that time.

The team got applauded for effort and endeavour and not being totally s***, and for turning up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk