Liam Hughes signed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Hughes signed

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Given his own thread for discussion.

Seems a decent enough signing, 25 year old largely in and around the National League previsouly.

6ft 5in so a big lad. Attacking midfield.

Darlo_CR

Re: Liam Hughes signed

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Looks a decent signing! Billericay fans seem to have mixed views on him but he sounds like a good impact player for the final 20 minutes of a game.

Anyone else see the list of names on a notepad on the desk?
Senior
Miller
Hatch
Foster

TW feeling a bit nostalgic? :lol:
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Hmm seems to look decent enough. Played plenty for Cambridge in the Conf Prem and L2, short stint in the SPL, played last season in the Conf Prem again - so genuinely a player from a higher level.

Perhaps a sign we're going to stick with the same formation, maybe Hughes and Syers battling for that advanced midfield role just behind Styche/A.N. Other?

Completely out of the blue signing of a name no one had thought of, the type I like.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Decent pedigree, and a big lad too which will give us another option. Wonder whether he plays wide or centrally

Just listened to Tommy's interview and sounds like he's very versatile, which is another bonus considering we'll have a smallish squad next year

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Fuck me I just looked at his picture with Tommy and he's wearing flip-flops in this weather. What have we signed?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Quakerz, they're men's slides and they're in. You need to get with it like the rest of us dedicated followers of fashion :D

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Seems like the lads had his problems but hopefully this is a fresh start for him.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 pm

https://youtu.be/9ggBH_u88Sw

Looks like a good player, good in the air, has a decent strike on him and does have a good eye for a pass judging from this video

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Seems like a decent signing to be honest. I expect him to play through the centre, E.G, CM or behind the forward/s.

I think that’ll probably cover us in the middle with Turnbull, Wheatley, Hughes, Glover and Syers - providing that Wheatley doesn’t get snapped up at the V9 Academy of course.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 am

to be fair most signings from now on we probably wont have heard of, weve reached the point where we cant explore the limited north east pool of players anymore, as we need to focus on players who have been playing regularly at national prem level or above to kick us on again. there are still a few players in our squad who although good enough for this level have been with us through 2 or 3 divisions and don't quite have the quality to raise their game to the next level as they have reached the ceiling of their ability.
we are shopping in a different pool now, as weve seen by the release of the likes of Scott and Brown and Portas.
I would expect when we look at the teamsheets in 12-18 months time it will look quite a lot different, which is a good thing by the way

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 pm

An interesting - and difficult - read with Hughes here

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.c ... ld-demons/

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm

al_quaker wrote:An interesting - and difficult - read with Hughes here

Absolutely shocking what he has been through...

Quite brave to speak out about Mental Health, not enough men are prepared to talk about it...

The statistics around mens mental health is quite shocking

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:58 pm

murtonquaker wrote:

Quite brave to speak out about Mental Health, not enough men are prepared to talk about it...

Good for him for talking about it - clearly a talented player whose career has stalled due to personal issues which must be unimaginably tough to overcome.

From a selfish point of view I hope he's back on an upward curve and that we can benefit from it on the pitch!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Bloody hell that was deep - he is right, if having kids don't give you a reason to live then in my opinion nothing will (apart from football of course).
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 pm

murtonquaker wrote:

I couldn't agree more on this topic.

all joking and rivalry aside, its sad that people, and men in particular do not talk about this more. Its sadly almost a taboo subject and this makes it harder for people to raise their problems, which in turn results in them getting further into mental health issues.

There is a saying that if you replace the "I" with "we", then mental illness becomes mental wellness.

Very appropriately, this week is National Mental Health Week https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaig ... eness-week

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Welcome Liam! Hope things go well for you here, but have we got a shirt to fit him? Glad TW has added some height to midfield and has brought in such an experienced player. Seems like a great asset to the team.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

spen666 wrote:
murtonquaker wrote:

I couldn't agree more on this topic.

all joking and rivalry aside, its sad that people, and men in particular do not talk about this more. Its sadly almost a taboo subject and this makes it harder for people to raise their problems, which in turn results in them getting further into mental health issues.

There is a saying that if you replace the "I" with "we", then mental illness becomes mental wellness.

Very appropriately, this week is National Mental Health Week https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaig ... eness-week
Why it is still 'Taboo' I dont know, in my own experience, something happened to me in 1999 which I hid for 7 years.

Depression and Mental Health are easy to hide and difficult to spot in some, as Hughes said ' He would display a bubbly personality.

For Me, in one way or another, I have battled my demons since I was 9 and I am now 36, with 2 different diagnosis since I was 20 and probably have something else that I have not discussed till now. I always put my pride first, the thought of opening up made me feel less of a man at times

The statistics are shocking re: mens mental health, the suicide rate for men is shocking with 76% of suicides being Men under 35.

Anyway back on topic, he sounds like a decent player, can play many different roles and looking forward to seeing him play next season