Coming soon - Boost the budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coming soon - Boost the budget

Post by Quakerz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 pm

£4,323 now in - steady away.

Do we think that maybe this topic should be stickied?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Yes - so we can see the totaliser easily.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
spen666 wrote:The amount raised this season by a relatively small number of fans is a fantastic achievement. Its the equivalent of everyone donating the cost of an extra season ticket each ( without the need to pay VAT over to taxman).

The amount of money raised by the fans in 6 years for all purposes is staggering really.

No doubt the sum raised for the forthcoming season will be equal if not significantly more as there are no infrastructure development appeals to compete for funds

The big challenge will come when promotion to NL is eventually obtained, how can a fan owned club with a relatively small pool of donors, raise the funds to compete at that level, without external sources of income - eg external donors/ benefactors or income from 3G pitches etc.

I do not know how a club can compete in NL without significant external sources of funds, far in excess of what the fans can be expected to donate.

Also, a significant new challenge for players / funding may come next season. TW knows the players in the Midlands well and has recruited from that pool successfully. Next season Hereford will almost certainly be in the NLS and therefore likely to be a new name competing for players in the midlands. They are attracting crowds nearly 1000 more than Darlington, so are likely to be able to afford to compete on wages with Darlington and other clubs for midlands players at step 2 level
Does anyone know how much TV money each club gets from being in the National League? I think it's somewhere in the range of £1m per club in League 2.
I believe you get around 30k from the National League at the start of the season and 15k for National League North.

In terms of on TV, read somewhere around the figures of 8k if home team and 1k if away team. Not 100% sure exactly on those figures but those are around about what was mentioned. Basically very little really.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 pm

spen666 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
spen666 wrote:
The big challenge will come when promotion to NL is eventually obtained, how can a fan owned club with a relatively small pool of donors, raise the funds to compete at that level, without external sources of income - eg external donors/ benefactors or income from 3G pitches etc.

I do not know how a club can compete in NL without significant external sources of funds, far in excess of what the fans can be expected to donate.
These are fair points, but of course the club is exploring ideas around this in terms of the 3G pitches. And of course growing crowds would help - they probably need to be well over 2000 for us to realistically have a chance of stepping up and being able to compete.

The point about a small pool of donors is one that has concerned me. 180 people contributed last season to the boost the budget scheme (which is great), but I reckon if you asked every one of the 1500 who attend an average home game whether they'd chip in a pound or two a week to help give us a realistic shot at promotion, more than 180 people would think that's a good idea. I know last season was confounded by other fundraising schemes, but I'd guess there was reasonable crossover between contributors to the community share pitches and the boost the budget pitches (although that is a guess - I could be wildly wrong).

I know a few people who haven't chipped in to recent fundraising as they don't think small amounts will make any difference. It's frustrating, as they are missing the point of crowdfunding!

I think the average amount contributed was circa £220 per person per year. That works out at around £5 per week, which when you look at it that way is an amount many people may be able to afford.

I genuinely do not know how a club goes from being part time like Darlington currently are, to being a full time outfit without significant extra sources of income

Realistically for a lot of clubs, promotion from NLN/NLS to NL may be a step to far financially and administratively. Many clubs do not have suffient a presence or set up to generate significantly larger sponsorship income. for example, you would expect York or Salford to be able to persuade big name companies to advertise/ sponsor them easier than say Brackley would

The step up from NLS/NLN to NL is a huge step, and realistically its a bigger step now than from NL to L2.
You're not very good at taking in information, spen.

Bigger crowds are key to moving to full time without a benefactor. You'll never achieve it with home crowds os 500 for example, but 2,500 and it might be achievable with the right sponsorship income.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Interesting to see Morecambe had 893 there last night!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:22 am

Spyman wrote:
spen666 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
spen666 wrote:

These are fair points, but of course the club is exploring ideas around this in terms of the 3G pitches. And of course growing crowds would help - they probably need to be well over 2000 for us to realistically have a chance of stepping up and being able to compete.

The point about a small pool of donors is one that has concerned me. 180 people contributed last season to the boost the budget scheme (which is great), but I reckon if you asked every one of the 1500 who attend an average home game whether they'd chip in a pound or two a week to help give us a realistic shot at promotion, more than 180 people would think that's a good idea. I know last season was confounded by other fundraising schemes, but I'd guess there was reasonable crossover between contributors to the community share pitches and the boost the budget pitches (although that is a guess - I could be wildly wrong).

I know a few people who haven't chipped in to recent fundraising as they don't think small amounts will make any difference. It's frustrating, as they are missing the point of crowdfunding!

I think the average amount contributed was circa £220 per person per year. That works out at around £5 per week, which when you look at it that way is an amount many people may be able to afford.

I genuinely do not know how a club goes from being part time like Darlington currently are, to being a full time outfit without significant extra sources of income

Realistically for a lot of clubs, promotion from NLN/NLS to NL may be a step to far financially and administratively. Many clubs do not have suffient a presence or set up to generate significantly larger sponsorship income. for example, you would expect York or Salford to be able to persuade big name companies to advertise/ sponsor them easier than say Brackley would

The step up from NLS/NLN to NL is a huge step, and realistically its a bigger step now than from NL to L2.

Bigger crowds are key to moving to full time without a benefactor. You'll never achieve it with home crowds os 500 for example, but 2,500 and it might be achievable with the right sponsorship income.

You seem to think sponsorship is easy to find. Significant sponsors are not easy to come by. If they were then ask yourself why so many clubs struggle at NL level without a benefactor.

It's all very well to talk about increased gates and sponsors, but to go from 1500 gates to 2500 gates is going to require an increase of 60% on attendances. How is that going to be achieved in a timescale that allows a club to compete at NL level?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 am

Who knows. But if we don't and our budget can't compete we will be relegated. That is the natural order of things in football.

Not really sure I understand the whole worrying about the next level debate. Try and get there and then work it out from there would be my strategy as long as you don't over commit financially at the new level then you shouldn't end up in a spiral.

Clearly nobody on this board has the answer and frankly there isn't a single answer of how your budget inflates at higher levels. As Quakerz righty points out though often the standard of a high end semi-pro is better than the lower end professional.

I was still under the impression about 50% of the NL is semi-pro but that may have shifted a bit recently.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 am

Put my money into the scheme - direct debit - this morning. Every little helps and we are over £5k now.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 am

spen666 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
spen666 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
spen666 wrote:

You seem to think sponsorship is easy to find. Significant sponsors are not easy to come by. If they were then ask yourself why so many clubs struggle at NL level without a benefactor.

It's all very well to talk about increased gates and sponsors, but to go from 1500 gates to 2500 gates is going to require an increase of 60% on attendances. How is that going to be achieved in a timescale that allows a club to compete at NL level?
What timescale is that?

I've already said in this thread that a lot of hard work will be required to bring in more sponsorship and increase the fan base. Not sure why you're repeating that back to me.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

And this from the man who won't accept someone put a seven figure sum into his club.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:And this from the man who won't accept someone put a seven figure sum into his club.

A 7 figure sum?

Apart from in your imagination, what evidence is there of any person putting a seven figure suminto the club?

more importantly, if there was a 7 figure sum put in by one person, then where has it gone? Its not gone on the team or the ground

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

spen666 wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:And this from the man who won't accept someone put a seven figure sum into his club.

A 7 figure sum?

Apart from in your imagination, what evidence is there of any person putting a seven figure suminto the club?
Nothing, well apart from Spennymoor Town themselves admitting it:

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/news-moo ... -momentum/

"Club Chief Executive Bradley Groves has guided Spennymoor to the sixth tier of English football since taking over in July 2009 and has funded this development with a seven-figure personal investment."

Dontbuythesun has provided this link to an official club statement before and you've conveniently ignored it. Wonder what the response will be this time.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:47 pm

spen666 wrote: to go from 1500 gates to 2500 gates is going to require an increase of 60% on attendances.
That's some great math :lol:

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:
spen666 wrote: to go from 1500 gates to 2500 gates is going to require an increase of 60% on attendances.
Can we divert a fiver from the Boost the Budget call to buy spen a calculator? Fisher Price will do.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:16 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:
:lol: How embarassing.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

spen666 wrote:

A 7 figure sum?

more importantly, if there was a 7 figure sum put in by one person, then where has it gone? Its not gone on the team or the ground
Fuck me, just fuck me spen.

It was pointed out to you a few weeks ago on this very forum with several people pointing you to the link and digging at you over it!

You were even active on the threads where this happened and did not acknowledge it.

Groves said himself in the statement where he was asking for other investors that he had put in a 7 figure sum into Spennymoor!

Clearly the money has been put in over time. Spenny always had a big budget for players going back to the Northern League, they could pay as much as us and that's when your gates were 200! Although you obviously think the wage budget fairies must have taken care of it? I'm sure there have been several ground improvements in the last few seasons, clubhouse etc. Fairies again?

You truly are taking the piss if you claim to know nothing.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 pm

spen666 wrote:where has it gone?
spen666 wrote:the team

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Spyman wrote:
JamesDarlo wrote:
Not sure what people are laughing at here? Apart from spen being a two faced and deluded cretin?

As far as the maths go he's not a million miles out. To go from 1500 to 2500 would require an increase of 66.667%

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

This has all the makings of comedy gold. Spen never lets you down :clap:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

lo36789 wrote:
spen666 wrote:where has it gone?
spen666 wrote:the team
:lol:

The very reason why everyone called them "Spendy" as they dominated the NL for about 4 years in a row.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Not my spelling!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:
JamesDarlo wrote:
Not sure what people are laughing at here? Apart from spen being a two faced and deluded cretin?

As far as the maths go he's not a million miles out. To go from 1500 to 2500 would require an increase of 66.667%
Well yes - but why not say 66% then? It's basic maths and he's supposedly an educated man.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm sure he was being approximate for us idiots (although he should have said approximately 60%)

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

A 7 figure sum?

Fuck me, just fuck me spen.

It was pointed out to you a few weeks ago on this very forum with several people pointing you to the link and digging at you over it!

You were even active on the threads where this happened and did not acknowledge it.

Groves said himself in the statement where he was asking for other investors that he had put in a 7 figure sum into Spennymoor!

Clearly the money has been put in over time. Spenny always had a big budget for players going back to the Northern League, they could pay as much as us and that's when your gates were 200! Although you obviously think the wage budget fairies must have taken care of it? I'm sure there have been several ground improvements in the last few seasons, clubhouse etc. Fairies again?

You truly are taking the piss if you claim to know nothing.

I have no idea of where the figure of £1m put into Spennymoor by any one person has come from.

If its in an announcement by Brad Groves, then provide a link.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm

This just gets better by the minute...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Aren’t those in the legal profession meant to have some honesty / integrity about them?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Quakerz wrote:I'm sure he was being approximate for us idiots (although he should have said approximately 60%)
If that's the case then an intelligent man would say approximately 70%.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:Aren’t those in the legal profession meant to have some honesty / integrity about them?
But Spen can't be in the legal profession. No self-respecting legal professional would embarrass themselves so much.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Evidently Spen is so backed into a corner,
rather than admit to being wrong, he thinks not acknowledging the statement's existence will wind everyone up.