Darlington FC V Chorley Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Chorley Match thread

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm

In the first half I thought we were all at sea at the back particularly down the left side with Galbraith and Thommo. Chorley's right midfield and right back were cutting through us at will with Thommo not tracking back and going with the runner, leaving us exposed. First half I thought he looked lost and was poor but fair play to him he improved in the second half.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Sorry to disagree but I think Brown and Galbraith are out of there depth even though they always give 100%
I think Brown is struggling, but Galbraith didn't look out of place yesterday.
You must be watching a different game to me. If anything I thought Terry looked like he was off his game yesterday whereas Brown was decent, notably that last ditch tackle in the first half.
Totally agree Tez 's crosses(Corners) have not been as good this season as other seasons.. Yeah I'd agree he does seem to be struggling a bit.. But they can always have a few bad games... I'd say the same about Scotty regarding form

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

coles

Post by coles » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Sorry to disagree but I think Brown and Galbraith are out of there depth even though they always give 100%
I think Brown is struggling, but Galbraith didn't look out of place yesterday.
You must be watching a different game to me. If anything I thought Terry looked like he was off his game yesterday whereas Brown was decent, notably that last ditch tackle in the first half.
Totally agree Tez 's crosses(Corners) have not been as good this season as other seasons.. Yeah I'd agree he does seem to be struggling a bit.. But they can always have a few bad games... I'd say the same about Scotty regarding form

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Tez was awful yesterday looked a nervous wreck clearly short of confidence and this is the big thing now. It's not about systems or TW's tactics for the last few games that has been spot on but it's the players mental strength and confidence that is now the big issue. Browny said as much himself in his interview Tez looked a different player when he moved to left back late on where he was comfortable you can see the players are not playing with freedom as they are tense and nervous if we went two up against leamington next week I'm certain we would play some good football and get 3 or 4

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Could it be that this is the first time since we started in the Northern League that our defenders have actually had to do any serious defending? Turns out most of them aren't as good at defending as we though. Galbraith has always been great going forward and delivering set pieces, but he lacks pace and probably isn't good enough to keep his place at this level.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 am

I was a bit surprised when Thomo took the penalty ahead of Galbraith. Although thankfully Thomo buried it.

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 am

Yarblockos wrote:Could it be that this is the first time since we started in the Northern League that our defenders have actually had to do any serious defending? Turns out most of them aren't as good at defending as we though. Galbraith has always been great going forward and delivering set pieces, but he lacks pace and probably isn't good enough to keep his place at this level.
Our defending was not great last season but we were scoring goals,It was plan to see that most of our defenders had reached their limit last season,no complaints about their effort but just not good enough for this league.The problem we now have was the stupidity of giving two year contracts to players not good enough for this league. Which has resulted in problems to move them on.Hopefully we don’t get relegated this season and possibly have a chance to correct things in the close season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

ex-exile wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:Could it be that this is the first time since we started in the Northern League that our defenders have actually had to do any serious defending? Turns out most of them aren't as good at defending as we though. Galbraith has always been great going forward and delivering set pieces, but he lacks pace and probably isn't good enough to keep his place at this level.
Our defending was not great last season but we were scoring goals,It was plan to see that most of our defenders had reached their limit last season,no complaints about their effort but just not good enough for this league.The problem we now have was the stupidity of giving two year contracts to players not good enough for this league. Which has resulted in problems to move them on.Hopefully we don’t get relegated this season and possibly have a chance to correct things in the close season.
Evidence of poor defending is in our goals against column and lack of clean sheets. It is not good enough for us when we are one-nil up to be able to sit back and rely on defence to close out the game and take 3 points. This is compounded by our lack of goals from other positions, unlike previous seasons when most of the team got onto the goal-sheet. If Styche gets marked out of a game / injured / sent off, then we do struggle to score. Thommo is starting to show some signs of his previous seasons form, but several others have failed to impress for the whole 90 minutes - Caton, Gillies, Syers, Mills and others do not link up with Styche. Wright and White must get the defence sorted and find someone who can pair up with Styche to score up front. In the meantime, we the fans must keep supporting the team in a positive way. Biggest danger signal on Saturday was the attendance figure, but could put that down to the weather and Chorley fans not fancying the trip.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Thought Chorley had a decent turnout with a supporters coach and 3 mini buses considering the weather

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am

quakerste wrote:Possibility that a striker may be brought in next week.
Was this just hope, speculation or do you know something ? ;)
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

darlo reborn wrote:Thought Chorley had a decent turnout with a supporters coach and 3 mini buses considering the weather
Agreed it's hard to get fans to turn out, if the game appears to be under threat. I met a couple of them before the game and they seemed very decent, hope they do well for the remainder of the season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 am

Darlopartisan wrote:Thing is we have Alan White a very experienced defender who if he was a bit younger would be first choice in the centre of defence, he goes to Spenny as a defensive coach, gets the chance to be TW number 2, one would assume his main part in the management set up would be sorting out the defence, so either he isn’t being listened to or he can’t sort it out. AW must be able to see this chopping and changing is causing problems, so again why isn’t he sorting it out. Yes at the end of the day TW is the manager and has the final say, but AW is no shrinking violet so he needs to get it sorted.
A great post. I have a lot of respect for A.W. however he isn't being mentioned much in these threads about our defensive problems, meaning everything falls on to T.W"s shoulders.
Alan is the defensive coach, and a lot of conceded goals come from avoidable errors.

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:If we keep conceding 2 goals a game like we are, relegation is a certainty, we will never keep a clean sheet the way we are set up, massive gaps kept opening up down both wings which they exploited from the first minute and were even going for the win with 10 men so they must have fancied their chances.

I noticed this too.The 'massive gaps' and the fact that Chorley still went for a win with ten men. The Chorley manager must of been fuming about their player being stupidly sent off. At that point they were really imposing themselves on the game and would of most probably won as we looked out of steam and out of ideas.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!