Cyrille Regis

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Nimrod
Team Supported: Darlington

Cyrille Regis

Post by Nimrod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

It has been bugging me that I’m sure I saw Cyrille Regis play against us. Now I remember- 95/96 season away at Chester he scored two against us I think. We had John Burridge in goal

Vodka_Vic

Re: Cyrille Regis

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Lost 4-1. Our only away defeat of the season. He ripped us to shreds at the age of 37 and was completely the difference between the 2 sides. In 35 years still the greatest individual performance I have seen against us.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Quite amazing that we only lost one away match that season. Pity we were crap at home - that 2-1 defeat to hapless Torquay ultimately cost us promotion

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

We always lost to Torquay who were always near the bottom of the league

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:51 am

It was my fault. I wore a new black PVC jacket to that match. Needless to say, it never went to another game...

I also think - and correct me if I'm wrong - that we played that game in our home kit, instead of the blue and yellow away monstrosity, for the only time that season. I was always attached to it for that reason. It might have looked like an eye test, but we never lost in it.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:02 am

blue and yellow away monstrosity
What !!! :o

That kit was frikkin brilliant.
Think before posting

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 am

I liked it too! It just hurt my eyes a bit...

boorman

Post by boorman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Ah, that Torquay game. I remember it well. I don't think we let ourselves down particularly that day. I think that was more down to Rodney Jack basically... wasn't that his debut?

I wasn't at that Chester away game but on the theme of best individual performances against Darlo, I'll nominate Michael Bridges (and to think we nearly signed him) in that 5-0 home defeat to Carlisle about 10 years ago. He was absolutely everywhere - lightyears ahead of anyone on the pitch that day. Despite being a centre forward he somehow managed to also run the game from midfield.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 pm

boorman wrote:Ah, that Torquay game. I remember it well. I don't think we let ourselves down particularly that day. I think that was more down to Rodney Jack basically... wasn't that his debut?
If it's that Torquay game we were very poor that day. I recall that there was a plastic carrier bag that blew round and round the pitch. The group I was with voted the carrier MoM, such was the players' performance.

boorman

Post by boorman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm

My view of it was that we went two down very quickly, owing to some blistering pace for the goals, and then we just couldn't break them down. Not a good performance, but not all that surprising that we couldn't come back from it. There was a good reason why that team had such a strong away record, and that was, in my view, because when teams came at us there were more gaps for Appleby and Bannister to spray the ball around (hence why the best home performances were against the likes of Plymouth and Gillingham, who had come to try and win). We were never very good at breaking teams down who simply set out to defend.

Higher up on the list of if-onlys for me that season was the home game against Doncaster. It should never have been played (remember the fog?!?) and worse, Gary Brabin's utterly disgraceful behaviour going unpunished by the ref. In fact, almost all of the Doncaster players were brutal - I'd never seen anything like it up until then. That home playoff game against Ramsbottom a couple of years ago is the only other game I can remember where I felt similarly sick to the stomach at the conduct of the opposition.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

On the subject of Cyrille and the other two "Three Degrees" Brendan Batson and Laurie Cunningham, can anyone recall did Laurie play in that Orient team we played in the FA Cup at Feethams was it 1977 or thereabouts?

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

bga wrote:On the subject of Cyrille and the other two "Three Degrees" Brendan Batson and Laurie Cunningham, can anyone recall did Laurie play in that Orient team we played in the FA Cup at Feethams was it 1977 or thereabouts?
I was at that match and am pretty certain that he played in that game

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm

boorman wrote:Ah, that Torquay game. I remember it well. I don't think we let ourselves down particularly that day. I think that was more down to Rodney Jack basically... wasn't that his debut?

I wasn't at that Chester away game but on the theme of best individual performances against Darlo, I'll nominate Michael Bridges (and to think we nearly signed him) in that 5-0 home defeat to Carlisle about 10 years ago. He was absolutely everywhere - lightyears ahead of anyone on the pitch that day. Despite being a centre forward he somehow managed to also run the game from midfield.
I remember that match, Bridges was insane.

But the absolute best performance I ever saw against us was Julian Joachim for Boston when they gubbed us 4-1. He beat us on his own that day, and was on another planet.

We signed him a few days later!

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Quakerz wrote:

I remember that match, Bridges was insane.

But the absolute best performance I ever saw against us was Julian Joachim for Boston when they gubbed us 4-1. He beat us on his own that day, and was on another planet.

We signed him a few days later!
According to BBC Lincolnshire driving home that night we signed him a few minutes later!!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm

.....paid for by a remortgaged Arena, it later emerged. We would have all withdrawn our cartwheels had we known.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 am

Who has been our greatest ever black player - my vote goes to Steve Mardenborough - remember watching him as a youngster - he was like lightening on the wing!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 am

Can there have been anyone more influential than Arthur Wharton.
Someone I feel certain Cyrille Regis would have admired.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Lloyd Maitland was class until his injury, Alan Kamara was good in poor teams, and Shelton Martis was a quality player.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Gary Chapman .... :lol:
Think before posting

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Gary Chapman .... :lol:
Ashlee Jones....