Alfreton V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alfreton V Darlington FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Wonder who will go in goal next Saturday or will Talbot still be available before his ban comes into effect?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder who will go in goal next Saturday or will Talbot still be available before his ban comes into effect?
No he won’t, hopefully Ed has a recall clause in his loan.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:43 pm

It's all getting a bit nerve wracking!! For everyone.

Years ago this relegation scrap thing used to happen quite regularly, I can remember John Williams warming up before a must win relegation match at Feethams. He looked totally up for it, scored, and we won that day.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
But it's not unfair to point out Harrogate only had nine men by the end. We should be beating a side with only nine men, particularly if we had two penalties. I don't think anyone would dispute that.
In the interests of fairness, we also were beating them when they had 11 men.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
But it's not unfair to point out Harrogate only had nine men by the end. We should be beating a side with only nine men, particularly if we had two penalties. I don't think anyone would dispute that.
In the interests of fairness, we also were beating them when they had 11 men.
Yep, I'd already said we deserved to win.

But if you're a team low on confidence, going into the last seven minutes 2-1 up against a title-challenging side, your job is made easier if the opposition then have two men sent off. Pretty sure everyone would agree on this.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I was at the game and felt on edge. I didn't think it was comfortable at 1-0. There was that fragility that meant we were never far away from conceding a goal. And so it proved.
Have you ever not been to a game where its 1-0 and it hasn't been nervy in the last 20 or so minutes? If so then you have been a very lucky person.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I was at the game and felt on edge. I didn't think it was comfortable at 1-0. There was that fragility that meant we were never far away from conceding a goal. And so it proved.
Have you ever not been to a game where its 1-0 and it hasn't been nervy in the last 20 or so minutes? If so then you have been a very lucky person.
You said the team was comfortable at 1-0. I didn't think they were. Not difficult to understand.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm

The focus on Wright dragging us into a relegation fight is ignoring how poor the team were before he took over. Aside from the first three games of the season (all wins), Grays record was 1-5-4. Including defeat to South Shields. The. 1-1-2 in the interim. Followed by our most effective players being poached.

I’m not defending the current form. But we’re not actually any ‘worse’. Add to that the Wright is working with a more realistic budget, is anyone surprised we’re finding it hard.

I want him to succeed. But perhaps this is a longer term project that could take three or four seasons to bear fruit. We’ve had five years of boom whilst on the verge of bust. I’m hopeful that a more sensible approach will bear riper fruit in the long term.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 pm

dickdarlington wrote:The focus on Wright dragging us into a relegation fight is ignoring how poor the team were before he took over. Aside from the first three games of the season (all wins), Grays record was 1-5-4. Including defeat to South Shields
Eh? You can't just start deleting victories to suit your purpose. It's false reasoning.

It's like saying, if you exclude the eight defeats, Wright is unbeaten.

You're correct in saying we were in bad form when Gray left, but if you're looking at Wright's record in its entirety, you also have to include all of Gray's games this season.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:
You said the team was comfortable at 1-0. I didn't think they were. Not difficult to understand.

I didn't think they were particularly threatening for most of the 2nd half but when you are one down and start launching balls into the box it is always nervy. Had Talbot not had his rush of blood I thought we were containing them but at 1-0 it is always heart in mouth when the ball goes in the box, no matter if you are top or bottom of the league.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder who will go in goal next Saturday or will Talbot still be available before his ban comes into effect?
Come on how many times has this question been asked and answered... FFS do u just do this so people talk to You???

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:The focus on Wright dragging us into a relegation fight is ignoring how poor the team were before he took over. Aside from the first three games of the season (all wins), Grays record was 1-5-4. Including defeat to South Shields
Eh? You can't just start deleting victories to suit your purpose. It's false reasoning.

It's like saying, if you exclude the eight defeats, Wright is unbeaten.

You're correct in saying we were in bad form when Gray left, but if you're looking at Wright's record in its entirety, you also have to include all of Gray's games this season.

My point is that those early results put us in a false position.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Going to have to disagree there. The squad which got those results was the same as that which finished 5th last year.

They beat Salford, got four goals in the next two games before getting a creditable draw with York.

I'd say it's more we struggled with everything going on off the pitch, with Gray in particular losing concentration and motivation. And then we appointed a sub-standard replacement (who everyone seems desperate to provide excuses for).

Given we have a top half budget, and a lot of players who were part of a 5th-placed finish last year, there's no way you can tell me this squad should be finishing in the bottom third.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm

It`s a good job we had them results or we would be in deep s***

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Going to have to disagree there. The squad which got those results was the same as that which finished 5th last year.

They beat Salford, got four goals in the next two games before getting a creditable draw with York.

I'd say it's more we struggled with everything going on off the pitch, with Gray in particular losing concentration and motivation. And then we appointed a sub-standard replacement (who everyone seems desperate to provide excuses for).

Given we have a top half budget, and a lot of players who were part of a 5th-placed finish last year, there's no way you can tell me this squad should be finishing in the bottom third.
We certainly cannot say we don't have the players to compete for the top half. Anyone who actively says otherwise is mental. The only player we haven't adequately replaced is Ferguson.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Finishing fifth last season is no guarantee of repeated success. Other teams have improved, spent big, gone full time etc. Last season we had major defensive issues which were glossed over by us scoring more at the other end. The defence hasn’t been bailed out this season to the same extent. Last year’s tactics of hitting Beck and him creating and scoring chances did not work once he was crocked (which he still looked at Harrogate on NYD). Maybe we were found out and had no plan B?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Finishing fifth last season is no guarantee of repeated success. Other teams have improved, spent big, gone full time etc. Last season we had major defensive issues which were glossed over by us scoring more at the other end. The defence hasn’t been bailed out this season to the same extent. Last year’s tactics of hitting Beck and him creating and scoring chances did not work once he was crocked (which he still looked at Harrogate on NYD). Maybe we were found out and had no plan B?
I didn’t expect a playoff place this year, due to a number of clubs going full-time or with bigger budgets, but we can’t pretend our budget isn’t competitive - it is, and it is a top half budget.

And, before it is said, Martin Gray didn’t sign an entire squad of high earning duds, only Burgess and Caton have looked truly lost this season.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Beano wrote:
grimsbyquaker wrote:Finishing fifth last season is no guarantee of repeated success. Other teams have improved, spent big, gone full time etc. Last season we had major defensive issues which were glossed over by us scoring more at the other end. The defence hasn’t been bailed out this season to the same extent. Last year’s tactics of hitting Beck and him creating and scoring chances did not work once he was crocked (which he still looked at Harrogate on NYD). Maybe we were found out and had no plan B?
I didn’t expect a playoff place this year, due to a number of clubs going full-time or with bigger budgets, but we can’t pretend our budget isn’t competitive - it is, and it is a top half budget.

And, before it is said, Martin Gray didn’t sign an entire squad of high earning duds, only Burgess and Caton have looked truly lost this season.
At what cost is our budget in terms of the future of the club though? Is it necessary to be as high as it is, or as I have stated on another thread, just overhang of unnecessarily risky ambition of MG and a board happy to oblige?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:56 am

Beano wrote:

Tbf I'd add Gillies to that list and based on return for money Beck wasn't great value.

Gillies & Caton describe themselves as full time footballers on social media - probs gives some clue to the level their wages are inflated

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Alfreton just sacked their manager following their dreadful record this season. They truly were appalling mind.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Alfreton just sacked their manager following their dreadful record this season. They truly were appalling mind.
tbf they did only manage to draw at home with Darlington

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Guess they couldn't stand the shame :oops:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:28 pm

On watching the 'highlights' it would seem that Alfreton are a right bunch of dirty fickers! Our young goalie seemed to take a number of hits before his sending off, also numerous other fouls spread all over the park. :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:On watching the 'highlights' it would seem that Alfreton are a right bunch of dirty fickers! Our young goalie seemed to take a number of hits before his sending off, also numerous other fouls spread all over the park. :thumbdown:
They were the same last season down their place...

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm

On watching the highlights again, it appears that after Talbot catches the ball from the cross he collides with the Alfreton player, they both go down, as Talbot goes to stand up you can see the Alfreton player kick his leg out at Talbot, Talbot reacts, and as they the rest is history.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 pm

poppyfield wrote:On watching the highlights again, it appears that after Talbot catches the ball from the cross he collides with the Alfreton player, they both go down, as Talbot goes to stand up you can see the Alfreton player kick his leg out at Talbot, Talbot reacts, and as they the rest is history.

I think you underplay the behaviour of the Alfreton player. On the footage, he clearly twists himself to deliberately kick Talbot. It was more than an instantaneous action by the Alfreton player. It should have been a red card for him.

I can't tell from the video what Talbot does as it appears not be be clear.

It should have been a free kick to Darlington as the kick by the Alfreton player precedes the reaction from Talbot

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I agree. It's pretty obvious the Alfreton player kicked out so even if talbot warranted a red for whatever he did, we should have had a free kick when play resumed. More like when we played telford in the trophy and their keeper was sent off than jameson and his rush of blood at the same ground last year.