Darlington FC v York City FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC v York City FC

Post by divas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:45 pm

You’d hope some of the players on 2 year contracts could actually play at the level below. Don’t really foresee a massive reduction in revenue, it’s not like getting relegated from the conference where you suddenly lose huge league and TV money. Admission prices would have to be lowered but apart from that I don’t see a huge drop in revenue. Crowds may drop slightly but apart from losing the 3 “big” games I can’t see a huge decrease.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Maybe like kevin burgess... whitby 0 lancaster 5. And maybe caton would be the messi of the glue league.. wouldnt fancy holding my breath on that one. I suspect it would be many a long year before we rose again what with s shields and other clubs suddenly chucking money at it.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Let’s just pull the shutters down IF it happens then eh?!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:22 pm

The landscape has changed significantly even in the 2 years since we were in the Evo-Stik. We would no longer be the biggest local club, with Blyth, Spenny and then South Shields who would have overtaken us. We would also no longer be a club on the up. I would suspect that we would have to play a lot more youngsters, as attracting players would be much more difficult. Like both MG (unfortunately) and David Johnston both said, once you lose momentum and slip back then it becomes very difficult to regain it. Relegation would be a disaster from this point of view and I suspect crowds of sub 1000 watching a team of youngsters in mid-table Evostik would not be what anyone was envisaging I'm sure at the start of this season back at Blackwell Meadows. This is why we must arrest this slide sooner rather than later.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 pm

I just think it is heartbreaking that we're plummeting in this direction when we're resourced to be top ten or so.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:The landscape has changed significantly even in the 2 years since we were in the Evo-Stik. We would no longer be the biggest local club, with Blyth, Spenny and then South Shields who would have overtaken us. We would also no longer be a club on the up. I would suspect that we would have to play a lot more youngsters, as attracting players would be much more difficult. Like both MG (unfortunately) and David Johnston both said, once you lose momentum and slip back then it becomes very difficult to regain it. Relegation would be a disaster from this point of view and I suspect crowds of sub 1000 watching a team of youngsters in mid-table Evostik would not be what anyone was envisaging I'm sure at the start of this season back at Blackwell Meadows. This is why we must arrest this slide sooner rather than later.
I agree relegation would be a disaster but I think to go from our budget to one that would be a team full of youngsters is taking things to silly extremes.

Lets be a bit more sensible, although the current situation is a worry.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 pm

With us being totally incapable of defending for 90 mins we simply have to have one less attacker in our lineup and one more defensive player to give us a more solid look.We had Styche, Thommo, Saunders, Mills and Syers as attack minded players, one too many, too much of a luxury and we have to start thinking about ugly 1-0 wins which may not be pretty but needs must, otherwise teams will continue to just pick us off.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:With us being totally incapable of defending for 90 mins we simply have to have one less attacker in our lineup and one more defensive player to give us a more solid look.We had Styche, Thommo, Saunders, Mills and Syers as attack minded players, one too many, too much of a luxury and we have to start thinking about ugly 1-0 wins which may not be pretty but needs must, otherwise teams will continue to just pick us off.

We had one less against Harrogate away and most said we need to get more attack mind players forward and give Styche more support.

Wright seems to change his team/formation far too often for me, anyone have any idea from week to week what to expect because I don't. I guess he is trying to find a winning formula and he probably needs time but I just don't see a steady plan from week to week, players are playing all over the place and the formation seems to constantly change.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 pm

York didn't really pick us off though - 1st goal we gifted them, and the second goal we over committed men forwards for a set piece. 1st half we were pretty solid on the whole - same as the 1st half at Harrogate.

Ideally we need another striker in - Saunders is nowhere near ready for regular football at this level.

I still think we'll be OK to be honest - York are one of the most expensively assembled teams in this league, they're full time, and there wasn't that much between the teams.

Of course, the last game we had which was deemed 'winnable' we turned in a horror performance, so this confidence will be short lived if we get a Gainsborough style performance against Alfreton or Leamington this month.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Surely on Thursday night they did drill after drill practicing defending a quick break from our own attack. Obviously not, it was just schoolboy to be outnumbered yet again. If it's not working why doesn't Wright insist on keeping 4 back until we get it sorted if need be.
I know he hasn't played well recently but surely to drop turnbull in a game where an experienced midfield was needed was a mistake. He chops and changes the team every game, particularly midfield, it's just not working.
Why he does he not use all his subs? York were fitter than us, expected given they are full time, but why not send fresh legs on for last 15 at least. Mills was ineffective yet again, so surely Gillies can at least show a flash of genius to score a goal.Mills certainly cannot.
Why also not send say Heaton or Brown up front for last 10 instead of last 2 minutes, we were going long for last period with no height.
The only player to me that Wright seems to have had a positive affect on is Thompson who is playing best for a long while even in wing back positions!
Sorry, but surely it's basic stuff, and Wright so far looks out of his depth. Nice guy for sure, and would like him to turn it around, but see few signs of that happening.
Sad that we are crying out for solid defenders, with Collins clearly not fit, and sounds like Spennymoor are likely to get Harrison. Sign of where we are I guess.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Scott Harrison would be a cracking loan signing for us but galling as it is we cannot compete with the mighty Spenny.It really is difficult to accept.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:30 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Scott Harrison would be a cracking loan signing for us but galling as it is we cannot compete with the mighty Spenny.It really is difficult to accept.

They have a sugar daddy and we don't , get over it....

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Harrison has been utter garbage for Pools, hardly likely to come to a club in a relegation dogfight and suddenly find some form

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Scott Harrison would be a cracking loan signing for us but galling as it is we cannot compete with the mighty Spenny.It really is difficult to accept.

They have a sugar daddy and we don't , get over it....
Not now they haven't, hasn't it been reported he will not be funding anymore.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Divas is right. Pools fans describe him as a liability... hardly what's required for us in this situation.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Divas is right. Pools fans describe him as a liability... hardly what's required for us in this situation.
My bet is he would still improve us at the back, beggars and all that.We have to do something as none of us want to go to Whitby again.Just wish Tommy can get rid of 4 players and bring in some fresh blood.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm

I'm not convinced we even need new players. What we do need is leadership, organisation and a consistent, coherent way of playing where every player knows his role. TW said when he took over that he felt privileged and honoured to have such a great squad and we were going for the play-offs. My fear is that what the Nuneaton fans said is now unfolding here... that they weren't solid enough and were all too frequently defensively disorganised and weak. They were in a relegation fight when we took him as manager.
At this level it is unusual, to say the least, to appoint a manager who lives 150 miles away, even if he was a popular player some years ago, is articulate, honest and a nice bloke, but TW needs to start delivering, particularly in the "winnable" games that we keep hearing are coming up.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not convinced we even need new players. What we do need is leadership, organisation and a consistent, coherent way of playing where every player knows his role.
This.

As others have said, Wright hasn't settled on a regular team, formation or tactics. There's no coherence to the side or the way we're trying to play.

We don't need more wholesale changes - this was Gray's response and it is neither sensible or practical. Wright's had his chance to bring in players.

Now he has to mould them into a team. Pick a team, pick a strategy and stick with it. Tweak it if needs be, but don't be chopping and changing.

I've said from the start that I was unconvinced by Wright - but he's our manager until he decides (financially I don't see us being able to get rid, even if we wanted to). I desperately want him to do well. But I just don't see it happening.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 pm

al_quaker wrote:I still think we'll be OK to be honest - York are one of the most expensively assembled teams in this league, they're full time, and there wasn't that much between the teams.

Of course, the last game we had which was deemed 'winnable' we turned in a horror performance, so this confidence will be short lived if we get a Gainsborough style performance against Alfreton or Leamington this month.
There's the rub though. While we can probably expect to drop points against teams in the top half of the table without worrying too much as we expect our closest rivals to do the same, we really need to be taking points off those other strugglers and we're not. So far we've taken (i think) 8 points from a possible 24 against teams currently placed 15th or below.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am

Hugely disappointed by yesterday. Not just the result but the manner of it. Again a Darlo implosion is the reason we ate not celebrating taking some points from the game. We weren't particularly out played. We just shot ourselves in the foot... twice.

To be fair to Tommy and Alan I was nervous when I saw the team selection. I thought we'd be far too exposed without extra protection for the CB's and additional cover for the full backs. But first half we more the Matched them and Styche comes up with a great goal to give us a lead at half time.

God knows what we say to our players at half time. So many times we come out for the second half looking sloppy when I a good position and handing the game to the opposition. I know it's not very inspiring but I'd have put Leon Scott on for Saunders at HT. His only job would have been to sit between attack and defence and break up play. Keep everything very safe. It's negative but that's the position we're in. We need points. 1-0 is enough for 3 points if we keep conceding 2 goals a game we make it impossible for ourselves.

Well we had the joke of Cornalties (when us conceding a corner was as bad as a penalty cause our marking from them was so bad) in the evo Stik days. But Christ if we're giving Cornalties from our own corners there is no hope. Is the solution not simple? I know our CB's give us an attacking threat from corners. But until we stop conceding we'll never win a game. Heaton is our best defender by far. Keep him in the halfway line with another 2 FB. Again might be negative but if it stops us conceding the 2nd goal yesterday then we could have been on here talking about at least a point.

We need to give Collins time to get fit. We're clearly playing the lad injured every game. In addition couldn't believe we didn't have 1 defensive option on the bench today. Despite Marrs and Trotman being fit to play.

In terms of players in the squad. There are a couple who are really battling to show that they are good enough to remain at this level. Galbraith looked so asured last season. Needs to refind his form. Brown not so much yesterday but in previous games has let us down with his decision making. Turnbull needs to get back to his best. Syers similarly. Harvey tries hard and is good off the bench but we need someone with a bit more nous if we're going to play 2 strikers.

In addition to those players we have what I can only imagine are some very expensive passengers. Gillies, Caton, Burgess. I know Burgess is out on loan but we need to make it permanent release us from the liability of his wages should the loan end. Gillies just hasn't showed anything like last seasons form this year. If you can bring quality bring graft. And he is so suspect in his defensive work it puts pressure on his team mates. If South Shields are still interested and we could generate a fee then might be the best decsion. Caton, well what can I say. My hopes of playing football at any sort of level are rekindled by seeing that this lad has played professionally. Marrs, decent player in my book but if you don't fancy him Tommy then move him in and use the wages better!

Maybe if we could get rid of these players that would give us the budget to bring in another CF or a hardworking winger.

Looking at the squad, I'm happy with:
Talbot

Trotman
Heaton
Collins
Vaulks

Thompson
Turnbull
Wheatley
Portas
Syers
Glover

Styche
Saunders

For me these players are on extended trials for the rest of the season:
Galbraith
Brown
Scott
Hunter
Wilczynski

And these players we can move on if we can find takers:
Marrs
Gillies
Caton
Burgess

Doubt we will get much change out of salford even if they are in bad form. So next Saturdays game away at alfreton is looking huge.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:26 am

The fact Mills did so little he hasn't even made your squad of what to do with them says it all :lol: :lol:

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:29 pm

22 goals conceded now in 9 games. Simply not good enough.

And a look at some of the goal times:

Blyth Spartans: 48', 57'

Kidderminster: 54'

Harrogate: 55', 59'

Gainsborough: 11', 21'

Harrogate: 48', 54'

York: 46', 53'

So in 5 games (out of 9) we have absolutely collapsed and conceded 2 goals within 10 minutes of themselves or less. Shocking.

7 goals have been within 10 minutes of the restart after half-time.

And I would genuinely be interested to see what is being said at half-time. 16/22 conceded have been after the break.

The second goal yesterday was appalling. Did we learn anything from the goals we conceded against Tamworth or Harrogate?

3 opposition red cards in the only two games we have picked up points from.

Had we had been beaten yesterday by 2 fine moments of skill I would have been more optimistic. The performance was alright, and I certainly don't think we deserved to lose. But it's our ability to consistently throw matches away with some horrendous errors (and how we react to these with 10-15 minutes of madness after conceding ala Blyth, Harrogate, York etc) which is a massive concern.

I am worried.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Relegation would be a complete disaster, lets be quite blunt about it. The defence is a horror show, and for gods sake Tommy, get a defensive midfielder in, but if you're not going to, at least deploy some of the existing personnel to do it. Turnbull, Scott and even Galbraith should all be capable. Play two of them, and concentrate on winning the damn ball.

We have too many luxury players playing. Gillies, Syers, Thompson et al are fine going forward, but they give the defence no protection at all.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 pm

H1987 wrote:The defence is a horror show, and for gods sake Tommy, get a defensive midfielder in, but if you're not going to, at least deploy some of the existing personnel to do it. Turnbull, Scott and even Galbraith should all be capable. Play two of them, and concentrate on winning the damn ball.
Totally agreed, as this is where we are repeatedly losing the ball.
H1987 wrote:We have too many luxury players playing. Gillies, Syers, Thompson et al are fine going forward, but they give the defence no protection at all.
I would disagree regarding Thompson - he is the only player whose form has significantly improved since the managerial changes. Gillies has the potential to be brilliant, but I'd take the previously rumoured fee from South Shields if it came, and Syers is a luxury we can't afford in midfield, but perhaps would be more viable in a front two?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Pretty mortified by Stoddart tweet saying he only realised it was a 3-4-3 formation when tw said so after the game.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 pm

tdk1 wrote:Pretty mortified by Stoddart tweet saying he only realised it was a 3-4-3 formation when tw said so after the game.
I get the feeling Tommy is still experimenting with his formations and blends to get to know his squad. A good tactic in theory. In practice, by the time he hits on the correct formation we will be 8 points away from safety with 3 games left.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Just what do they do at half-time in the dressing room? A cracking goal from Styche just before half time, the crowd well behind them and tails were up - so why did we come out a couple of minutes ahead of York then froze? Seemed like they had been doped with Rohypnol and conceded two poor goals. Thommo guilty of tracking across the field and getting caught in possession when it was easier to lay it back or just whack it upfield. Sucker goal from a free kick some 85 yards up the field and then getting caught on the break with our big defenders waiting for the cross that never came from Mills. Someone behind me said it all -'never thought I would say it but Gillies should come on for Mills'. Just can't see why Mills got his starting place, poor crosses & never had the pace or skill to beat his man. Why did we sign him?
Styche showed a lot of good stuff but couldn't do it all for 90 minutes without support.
Heaton gave another mature display and best of our defenders.
Talbot kept a clean sheet for 45 mins but had little chance with either the pen or goal. Sure it was not deliberate but appeared to be kicking long balls always to Saunders who was not capable of either holding it up or flicking it on to Styche resulting in us losing possession too easily.
Thommo showing some penetration, then not clearing the lines when he had time.
Galbraith, some decent touches but not yet match fit. Our best bet for LB in future.
Collins obviously injured and must be given time to recover 100%, otherwise too slow.
Wheatley did cover the ground, but not making chances or capable of winning the ball in midfield. Portas did seem to be more assured in midfield when he came on.
Brown shows spirit and some great blocks but then caught out of position after long throws and set-pieces. Silly booking for kicking the ball away unnecessarily. White needs to register as a player and get back into our back four to give it a backbone.
Syers had little or no influence on the game and doesn't seem to have the heart for a relegation battle. The least he could have done was to stay behind at the end of the match and help put the covers on.
Second half was just abysmal and the big BM crowd will not be back to watch us get suckered and concede goals due to schoolboy errors. York were not a good team and MG must have laughed all the way home.
TW & AW need to sort out the defence, shore up midfield and get a striking partner for Styche up front. Last season, we were capable of scoring goals from nearly every position in the team. This season, only Styche seems willing to give it a go. Sort it out!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

jjljks wrote:Just what do they do at half-time in the dressing room? A cracking goal from Styche just before half time, the crowd well behind them and tails were up - so why did we come out a couple of minutes ahead of York then froze? Seemed like they had been doped with Rohypnol and conceded two poor goals. Thommo guilty of tracking across the field and getting caught in possession when it was easier to lay it back or just whack it upfield. Sucker goal from a free kick some 85 yards up the field and then getting caught on the break with our big defenders waiting for the cross that never came from Mills. Someone behind me said it all -'never thought I would say it but Gillies should come on for Mills'. Just can't see why Mills got his starting place, poor crosses & never had the pace or skill to beat his man. Why did we sign him?
Styche showed a lot of good stuff but couldn't do it all for 90 minutes without support.
Talbot kept a clean sheet for 45 mins but had little chance with either the pen or goal. Sure it was not deliberate but appeared to be kicking long balls always to Saunders who was not capable of either holding it up or flicking it on to Styche resulting in us losing possession too easily.
Galbraith, some decent touches but not yet match fit. Our best bet for LB in future.
Collins obviously injured and must be given time to recover 100%, otherwise too slow.
Wheatley did cover the ground, but not making chances or capable of winning the ball in midfield. Portas did seem to be more assured in midfield when he came on.
Brown shows spirit and some great blocks but then caught out of position after long throws and set-pieces. Silly booking for kicking the ball away unnecessarily. White needs to register as a player and get back into our back four to give it a backbone.
Syers had little or no influence on the game and doesn't seem to have the heart for a relegation battle. The least he could have done was to stay behind at the end of the match and help put the covers on.
Second half was just abysmal and the big BM crowd will not be back to watch us get suckered and concede goals due to schoolboy errors. York were not a good team and MG must have laughed all the way home.
TW & AW need to sort out the defence, shore up midfield and get a striking partner for Styche up front. Last season, we were capable of scoring goals from nearly every position in the team. This season, only Styche seems willing to give it a go. Sort it out!
Yes,let’s get Alan White back in the side.Someone who was getting done for pace two divisions ago.Job done,no probs.
You get my vote for manager of the month :thumbup:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes let's get the golden oldie back in the side... Fcuk me i despair sometimes

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Emdubya wrote:
jjljks wrote:Just what do they do at half-time in the dressing room? A cracking goal from Styche just before half time, the crowd well behind them and tails were up - so why did we come out a couple of minutes ahead of York then froze? Seemed like they had been doped with Rohypnol and conceded two poor goals. Thommo guilty of tracking across the field and getting caught in possession when it was easier to lay it back or just whack it upfield. Sucker goal from a free kick some 85 yards up the field and then getting caught on the break with our big defenders waiting for the cross that never came from Mills. Someone behind me said it all -'never thought I would say it but Gillies should come on for Mills'. Just can't see why Mills got his starting place, poor crosses & never had the pace or skill to beat his man. Why did we sign him?
Yes,let’s get Alan White back in the side.Someone who was getting done for pace two divisions ago.Job done,no probs.
You get my vote for manager of the month Image
Other than the Alan White suggestion, his post was spot on.