Northern Echo Arena

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Northern Echo Arena

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 am

In the echo today, its reported that the rugby club have submitted plans to develop The Northern Echo Arena into a multi-million pound sports village.

It will be interesting to see how this develops considering the issues we had with development during our tenure.

http://ht.ly/qI1E50fuDMx

Vodka_Vic

Re: Northern Echo Arena

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:57 am

They can submit all the plans they like. Look how far Houghton and Singh got. Would it be any different this time? Unless Raj knew something we don't when he wanted to come back a second time, as it was fairly common knowledge that the Arena was part of his plans. It could be that behind the scenes that the council have declared that they would be more favourable to development this time. It's 6 years since plans were submitted last time as far as I know.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 am

I'm guessing sports village fits within the original scope of the council so would pass much easier than entertainments and offices?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:01 am

I don't think the council ever had any real issues with proposed development it was the funding for such a project that never materialised

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:16 pm

DBC do seem to bend over backwards for the rugby club. They seem to lower restrictions on car boots and other events, let people park for free for big events and also turning a blind eye to people abusing the residents parking scheme for these same events. Anything the football club tried to do seemed to be met with some kind of restriction.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm

I’d be disappointed, and a little surprised, if the FC board had not been talking to DMP and DBC about this.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 pm

If the Arena is developed into a Sports Village, I fear it would be a join them or be cast aside mentality from DBC.

Blackwell Meadows couldn’t compete with that.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Perhaps the plans include a nice little 5000 seater football ground :shock:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Surely a sports village would have to include several well supported sports - are we not the best supported sports team in the town?

How are they proposing to fund the sports quarter (as I presume it will be called - every new development is a quarter these days)? I thought they were struggling to pay the bills as it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Spyman wrote:Surely a sports village would have to include several well supported sports - are we not the best supported sports team in the town?

How are they proposing to fund the sports quarter (as I presume it will be called - every new development is a quarter these days)? I thought they were struggling to pay the bills as it is.

With private investment - also DBC are considering using some of their adjoining land for residential development as part of this partnership so there would be revenue for them there. (for DBC that is, not DMP)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:18 pm

m62exile wrote:
Spyman wrote:Surely a sports village would have to include several well supported sports - are we not the best supported sports team in the town?

With private investment - also DBC are considering using some of their adjoining land for residential development as part of this partnership so there would be revenue for them there. (for DBC that is, not DMP)
Raj Singh?

Perhaps that's why he wanted to get back in with us - having the town's best supported sports team aligned with a sporting hub would presumably make the council more attuned to the idea.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Pie in the sky without DFC going back there the footfall from other sports just wont be enough without us.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Coincidence that our presentation evening on the 11th is called 'The way forward' when this story has just broken? I'm inclined to think it is, especially as we've just funded the stand.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Spyman wrote:
m62exile wrote:

Raj Singh?

Perhaps that's why he wanted to get back in with us - having the town's best supported sports team aligned with a sporting hub would presumably make the council more attuned to the idea.

I've been thinking this, but if so, why the need for the back door stuff with MG, unless things have moved on behind the scenes since then.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Coincidence that our presentation evening on the 11th is called 'The way forward' when this story has just broken? I'm inclined to think it is, especially as we've just funded the stand.
Apart from the foundations it can all be moved, and its ours :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

trevstanley
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by trevstanley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:17 pm

If the fans are annoyed that permission would be granted then best thing to do is organise a petition objecting to the proposals and citing the restrictions the same council applied to Darlington FC.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am

poppyfield wrote:Perhaps the plans include a nice little 5000 seater football ground :shock:
Unless Santa really does... :thumbup:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:16 am

They're debating on that thread about whether we could be part of the plans. It's a non-starter due to repayment of FSIF grants.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:They're debating on that thread about whether we could be part of the plans. It's a non-starter due to repayment of FSIF grants.
No need to worry Raj will sort that out.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:They're debating on that thread about whether we could be part of the plans. It's a non-starter due to repayment of FSIF grants.
Don’t the grants have a time limit on them where after so many years we don’t have to pay them back if we move, I thought it was 5 years, but I could be wrong .

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:45 am

norwich darlo wrote:
Spill more, Mr. Cryptic.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

Let's see what happens. If we were to be involved then of course the FSIF grants would be a consideration, but I doubt they'd be a dealbreaker. There would obviously be issues with existing agreements with DRFC to consider as well.

I've really no idea whether there'd be any hope of progressing as part of the sporting hub as there are so many unknowns in terms of finance and legal issues but certainly if a proposal comes about that has the landowners and the council aligned and on the same page it would be daft not to be included in the talks at this stage.

I'd expect the council will be positive on the 5th as they've indicated and that will be the point that business plans can start to be formalised.

As an aside from DFC for a moment, the area has been developed for 15 years now and clearly there needs to be some flexibility with how it is used. The council will not want to see another sport club go under so I'd very much imagine they'll be all ears to any chance of development, particularly if it gives certainty to the area as they'll then be able to use some of the 42 acres they own to create revenue and also hit their housing supply targets.

I'd have thought therefore the council will be keen to see some progress with how the land is used.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:57 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
norwich darlo wrote:
Spill more, Mr. Cryptic.
Easy it's called a joke.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Next thing Raj will sort is TW being sacked, MG reinstated with Steve McLaren and Gary Pallister brought in as Directors of Football. New accommodation will be included in the plans to house Dave Hodgson's Portuguese and Congolese U-21 starlets

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:Pie in the sky without DFC going back there the footfall from other sports just wont be enough without us.
:lol: :crazy:

I am 100% confident of two things.

1. We're not part of their plans.

2. Mowden have got by for the last 5 years without us and need us as much as we need them.

The Arena is in the past and is no longer any of our concern.

However I will be interested to see how this pans out, as much as I hated the Arena it did annoy me that within a year of moving in Mowden had new built new pitches over the back after we had faced red tape from DBC for a good couple of years when Houghton wanted to develop the land.

There's probably no doubt that some arses were twitching in Billy boy's inner circle at Town Hall when the Football Club left it and unfortunately they've already been far more forthcoming with Mowden than they were with us.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm

quaker4life wrote: 2. Mowden have got by for the last 5 years without us and need us as much as we need them.
If they need us as much as we need them then obviously they aren't making ends meet. :?
The only reason they have got by in the last 5 years is the fact they had £5m in the bank, leftover from the sale of their old ground.
If they were managing ok then why the need to build a sporting village? Also with private outside investment, not their own!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 pm

quaker4life wrote:
DarloDave40 wrote:Pie in the sky without DFC going back there the footfall from other sports just wont be enough without us.
:lol: :crazy:

I am 100% confident of two things.

1. We're not part of their plans.

2. Mowden have got by for the last 5 years without us and need us as much as we need them.

The Arena is in the past and is no longer any of our concern.

However I will be interested to see how this pans out, as much as I hated the Arena it did annoy me that within a year of moving in Mowden had new built new pitches over the back after we had faced red tape from DBC for a good couple of years when Houghton wanted to develop the land.

There's probably no doubt that some arses were twitching in Billy boy's inner circle at Town Hall when the Football Club left it and unfortunately they've already been far more forthcoming with Mowden than they were with us.
From memory, weren't Houghton's plans in the £12m-plus region? And weren't they all football-related as opposed to the mixed development with some private funding now proposed? Not sure how or why he was going to fund that as he had zero interest in the club. And wasn't it Houghton's decision not to proceed with the development rather than the council refusing permission?
As for Singh, he didn't own the Arena and land so he wasn't in any position to propose development (or be refused) planning permission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 pm

loan_star wrote:
quaker4life wrote: 2. Mowden have got by for the last 5 years without us and need us as much as we need them.
If they need us as much as we need them then obviously they aren't making ends meet. :?
The only reason they have got by in the last 5 years is the fact they had £5m in the bank, leftover from the sale of their old ground.
If they were managing ok then why the need to build a sporting village? Also with private outside investment, not their own!
Exactly.

So if it were to go tits up it would probably have an equally adverse affect on us.

And we're struggling to make ends meet ourselves, somehow I can't see the viability of upping sticks from BM to there.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

QuakerPete wrote: From memory, weren't Houghton's plans in the £12m-plus region? And weren't they all football-related as opposed to the mixed development with some private funding now proposed? Not sure how or why he was going to fund that as he had zero interest in the club. And wasn't it Houghton's decision not to proceed with the development rather than the council refusing permission?
As for Singh, he didn't own the Arena and land so he wasn't in any position to propose development (or be refused) planning permission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember all the ins and outs of it and there was a lot of politics involved that were above my head.

However my understanding was that Houghton hit a road block with his development plans and was at an impasse with DBC and could no longer sustain the level of funding required to manage the club as it was when the recession kicked in.

I think he said we were losing £50k a week?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Next thing Raj will sort is TW being sacked, MG reinstated with Steve McLaren and Gary Pallister brought in as Directors of Football. New accommodation will be included in the plans to house Dave Hodgson's Portuguese and Congolese U-21 starlets
People on Twitter are actually believing this :lol: :lol: :lol: