Styche is our new striker!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_CR
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Styche is our new striker!

Post by Darlo_CR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 am

Indeed, it was Nuneaton's decision to pursue Greg Mills that allowed Styche to sign a permanent Lambs deal, after representing us on loan in the 2015/15 season.

Commenting on the signing, Manager Andy Morrell said “I'm delighted Reece has agreed to stay on. He had interest from other clubs but he loves it at Tamworth and wanted to continue working with Mike (Fowler) and I.
This is from the Tamworth website when he signed for them. It certainly raises questions as to why he’d want to play for Wright again if he was overlooked previously.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
Indeed, it was Nuneaton's decision to pursue Greg Mills that allowed Styche to sign a permanent Lambs deal, after representing us on loan in the 2015/15 season.

Commenting on the signing, Manager Andy Morrell said “I'm delighted Reece has agreed to stay on. He had interest from other clubs but he loves it at Tamworth and wanted to continue working with Mike (Fowler) and I.
This is from the Tamworth website when he signed for them. It certainly raises questions as to why he’d want to play for Wright again if he was overlooked previously.
A bit of verbal badge-kissing there.

Footballers are no different to the rest of us - we may love doing what we're doing for our current employers but the thought of doing the same thing for more money for a different gaffer soon turns the head.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am

Ball has re-signed for Barwell.

Got to be Styche we are in for.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Ball has re-signed for Barwell.

Got to be Styche we are in for.
Why not Weir-Daley?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Would this be a cartwheel signing?

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm

...or maybe both if Harvey Saunders is on his way to York?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:...or maybe both if Harvey Saunders is on his way to York?

Would Saunders really go to York where his progress is likely to be stalled by not getting much game time under MG? I suspect he'll have more of an opportunity under our current managers than down the road.

Unless there is a hefty pay rise in the offing.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Just as long as we sign him before we parade him round in a Darlington scarf and bring SkySports cameras to our chairman's house to film him pulling up and hugging him...

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:...or maybe both if Harvey Saunders is on his way to York?

Would Saunders really go to York where his progress is likely to be stalled by not getting much game time under MG? I suspect he'll have more of an opportunity under our current managers than down the road.

Unless there is a hefty pay rise in the offing.
Is this a whoosh moment ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Where have you heard this, surely Gray has enough strikers?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Mutterings on The Tin Shed Facebook page so could be / probably is rubbish. Thought it was worth mentioning though as someone else might confirm or deny. It wouldn't surprise me though. He's a decent prospect and York would offer him the experience of being a full-time pro.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

To be fair to Gray, you can understand why he would want back-up... he currently only has SIX strikers on the books at York and, looking elsewhere in the squad, he's now down to just four keepers (with one of them out on loan). Wait until he really gets into his stride with his signings :shock:
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:To be fair to Gray, you can understand why he would want back-up... he currently only has SIX strikers on the books at York and, looking elsewhere in the squad, he's now down to just four keepers. Wait until he really gets into his stride with his signings :shock:
He's like a loose cannon with that budget, I honestly could not see an awful lot wrong with York when we played them, god knows what their budget is and gates are only around the 2400 mark.Surely they will go P/T if they fail to go up.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Plenty of clubs at our level are maintaining full-time players on lower gates than York are getting. You just need a rich benefactor.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Mutterings on The Tin Shed Facebook page so could be / probably is rubbish. Thought it was worth mentioning though as someone else might confirm or deny. It wouldn't surprise me though. He's a decent prospect and York would offer him the experience of being a full-time pro.

The same person also reckoned Gray had part ownership of Saunders, which is of course complete bollocks.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Plenty of clubs at our level are maintaining full-time players on lower gates than York are getting. You just need a rich benefactor.

Just look at Brackley. Not full-time but they have a large, well resourced squad that features a fair number of players that won the Conference North title with Solihull Moors in 2015-16. They didn't attract them with peanuts. Currently second top, unbeaten at home and only lost two all season and last night's crowd to watch another victory... 343. They have an extremely wealthy backer (who used to play for them and went to school in the town) who ploughs the cash in without any fuss or fanfares and doesn't want anything in return. If they were relying on gate money and fundraising, they'd be somewhere deep down in the Glue Leagues (or Southern equivalent).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:To be fair to Gray, you can understand why he would want back-up... he currently only has SIX strikers on the books at York and, looking elsewhere in the squad, he's now down to just four keepers. Wait until he really gets into his stride with his signings :shock:
He's like a loose cannon with that budget, I honestly could not see an awful lot wrong with York when we played them, god knows what their budget is and gates are only around the 2400 mark.Surely they will go P/T if they fail to go up.

There didn't look a lot wrong with us against York either but look what has happened since then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

There didn't look a lot wrong with us against York either but look what has happened since then.

Were you watching the first half of that game?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Can't believe we haven't signed this mystical striker yet. Wright out

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

They were all over us in the first half and looked a far better side than us and were very unlucky not to win by 3 or 4. Were you there by any chance Spyman?

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Well, I was at that game and agree that they were the better side in the first half. But we were the better team in the 2nd half.
Don't really know how they were unlucky not to win by 3 or 4 though. Could say that we were unlucky not to score whith our two very good chances.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

They were all over us in the first half and looked a far better side than us and were very unlucky not to win by 3 or 4. Were you there by any chance Spyman?

And the Salford game?

What's your point? Everyone was very positive after our start to the season. Right or wrong?

In fact, you said the following after Salford:
"What a result that was, good on MG with his team selection and we still have Thommo, Burgess and possibly Feaney(Fewster) to come into the squad.Roll on Wednesday and a good crowd at BM."

So you thought the squad looked good at the start of the season. Just like York's maybe did?

DC

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:40 am

Have to agree with Quakerman on this one. We came back into the game second half against York but first half they battered us and should have been 4-0 up if it wasn’t for some of the worst finishing I’ve seen in years. Time to focus on the positives now...the 3 signings TW has brought in all seem promising and IMO a couple of good forwards and there’s still time to turn this season around (with the right balance of players).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

quakermass wrote:Have to agree with Quakerman on this one. We came back into the game second half against York but first half they battered us and should have been 4-0 up if it wasn’t for some of the worst finishing I’ve seen in years. Time to focus on the positives now...the 3 signings TW has brought in all seem promising and IMO a couple of good forwards and there’s still time to turn this season around (with the right balance of players).

I don't disagree about the York game but I'm not talking about individual games - I'm just pointing out that we looked strong and everyone was positive after the first few games, so things can turn very quickly and maybe that happened at York too.

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 am

Spyman wrote:
quakermass wrote:Have to agree with Quakerman on this one. We came back into the game second half against York but first half they battered us and should have been 4-0 up if it wasn’t for some of the worst finishing I’ve seen in years. Time to focus on the positives now...the 3 signings TW has brought in all seem promising and IMO a couple of good forwards and there’s still time to turn this season around (with the right balance of players).

I don't disagree about the York game but I'm not talking about individual games - I'm just pointing out that we looked strong and everyone was positive after the first few games, so things can turn very quickly and maybe that happened at York too.

But my original point Spyman was why MG needs to make significant changes to that York side who looked good that night.IMO this is typical of Gray.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

al_quaker wrote:Can't believe we haven't signed this mystical striker yet. Wright out
Think I spotted him in the queue behind Paulo Mendez in Poundland yesterday.
Well I was on my way to Specsavers :ugeek:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

If there was nothing wrong with the York team that played us, why then did Mills get the sack? Football has a lot to do with confidence and momentum. York like us clearly lost it and you need to bring someone new in to restore your fortunes and hopefully regain confidence and momentum.

Against York we were almost overrun in the first half, with Bartlett stopping us being thumped. Rarely does a side maintain such an advantage for a full 90 minutes. So we came back and shaded the second half, but on the balance of play York probably deserved to get a narrow victory, purely based on their dominant first half display as the second half was not dominated by us to the same extent.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

But my original point Spyman was why MG needs to make significant changes to that York side who looked good that night.IMO this is typical of Gray.

I agree with you - I don't see why either.

I was pointing out that many (not necessarily you) have also suggested over the last couple of months that we needed significant changes, yet barring some injuries we've had the same squad that beat Salford, drew with that York squad, and finished in the playoffs last season.

Sometimes players need to find their way again and rebuild confidence. Gray has never had the patience (or perhaps the coaching ability) to follow that route.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am

Spyman wrote: I was pointing out that many (not necessarily you) have also suggested over the last couple of months that we needed significant changes, yet barring some injuries we've had the same squad that beat Salford, drew with that York squad, and finished in the playoffs last season.

Sometimes players need to find their way again and rebuild confidence. Gray has never had the patience (or perhaps the coaching ability) to follow that route.

I wonder if Gray felt vulnerable without a financial war chest backing him up and couldn't be as 'in yer face' with the players as before?

Without a big squad and with limited finances he couldn't threaten players with losing their place in the team if they didn't (or couldn't) perform 100%.

Obviously players need a rest too.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Obviously players need a rest too.
They've had plenty of time off this season.

Chorley away, the second half at Blyth and at home to Brackley.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly