Welcome Greg Mills and Luke Trotman

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcjosh
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by dfcjosh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 pm

QUAKERS SIGN GREG MILLS

Darlington have today signed left winger Greg Mills from Nuneaton.

Greg, 27, started his career at Derby County, making two appearances for them in the Championship. He had loan spells at Solihull Moors, Macclesfield and AFC Telford United, where he scored 6 goals in 30 appearances.

When he was released by Derby in 2011 , he joined Telford on a permanent basis. After a season there, he went on to play for Worcester, Boston and Barrow, before joining Corby Town where Tommy Wright was manager.

He had a prolific goalscoring record at Corby, scoring 53 goals in 110 appearances before he joined Tamworth at the start of the 2016-17 season.

He was at Tamworth for five months before joining Nuneaton, but was initially hindered by injury. He has amassed an impressive 29 goals in 74 National League North games in his career.

He is now back to full fitness, and manager Tommy Wright said; “When he’s fit and flying, he can be unplayable. He is a very exciting player, who as well as creating goals, can score them.

“He scored some great goals for Corby when I was there, and he caused opposing defences no end of problems. He will entertain the fans.”

We would like to wish Greg a happy and successful stay at the club.

QUAKERS SIGN LUKE TROTMAN

Quakers have today signed Luke Trotman from Nuneaton.

Luke 20, is a right back who started his career at Luton Town, but then suffered a broken leg when he was drawing the attention of several other clubs.

When he recovered, he joined St Neots Town and then Loughborough University, from where he was signed by Nuneaton when Tommy Wright was manager, in the summer of 2017.

Darlington manager Tommy Wright said; “He’s a very good defender, who has got terrific pace and is very good at going forward. He’s also one of the nicest lads I’ve ever met.”

Luke, who played in Nuneaton’s 3-1 home win over Darlington earlier in the season, has also been studying at Loughborough University.

Alfie

Re: Welcome Greg Mills and Luke Trotman

Post by Alfie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:14 pm

As a left winger Mills seems to have a decent goalscoring record. I wonder if Trotman is more the sort of full back you would want playing a back 3 than our existing full back options?

Maybe some departues from those pushed down the pecking order?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Just the Galactico striker to come then!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Not sure where the young right back fits into the first team, but both are welcome additions. Lets hope we've turned a corner. :thumbup:

dfcjosh

Post by dfcjosh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm

H1987 wrote:Not sure where the young right back fits into the first team, but both are welcome additions. Lets hope we've turned a corner. :thumbup:
Personally I don't think Marrs is good enough. Plus, if we carry on with the 3 at the back, he'd be a good wing back

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 pm

I think Mills may have been the winger who ran us ragged in the defeat at Tamworth last season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

H1987 wrote:Not sure where the young right back fits into the first team, but both are welcome additions. Lets hope we've turned a corner. :thumbup:
He fits in at right back/right wing back - straight in the team no messing.

Marrs isn't good enough and has already been dropped, Thompson I'm not sure would be the answer long term as a right wing back if we persist with 3-5-2. It seems that Trotman can play all down the right hand side and is a bit of a star in the making. Nuneaton fans are gutted about him leaving.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Nuneaton fans are very upset about Trotman, but not so bothered about Mills - question his fitness and attitude.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Glad we've added a bit of pace - we've looked a lot slower than a lot of other sides this season.

Both have decent backgrounds. Mill's goal scoring record is very good at this level, and Trotman sounds a very good prospect.

If we can sign a striker this week then the squad looks a lot more balanced. According to the Echo we're linked with a striker who's previously played for Wright, but now these 2 have been announced I presume he isn't at Nuneaton. Wonder who it is?!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm

They sound like encouraging signings. Mills goalscoring record at this level is impressive for a striker, never mind a winger.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Alfie wrote:Nuneaton fans are very upset about Trotman, but not so bothered about Mills - question his fitness and attitude.
Doesn't mean out Some fans question some of our players attitude, So nothing to wet our pants about... New start and all

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 pm

al_quaker wrote:Glad we've added a bit of pace - we've looked a lot slower than a lot of other sides this season.

Both have decent backgrounds. Mill's goal scoring record is very good at this level, and Trotman sounds a very good prospect.

If we can sign a striker this week then the squad looks a lot more balanced. According to the Echo we're linked with a striker who's previously played for Wright, but now these 2 have been announced I presume he isn't at Nuneaton. Wonder who it is?!
Reece Styche has been heavily linked with us having previously played for Wright at Nuneaton.

As for the two new signings, both look good additions. I'm particularly pleased to see TW investing in the future with Trotman.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Interesting. Wonder where Mills has been brought in to play. Maybe up top as a second striker?

Trotman makes sense. I thought Marrs was our best player for the first half of last season but he has never seemed to recapture that form since his injury. If we are moving to 3-5-2 I don't think he's fast enough to play the he wingback role.

Interesting as well that there are still possibly some outgoings. My front of the queue would be Burgess must be on a decent wage and just doesn't cut it at the he his level for me.

Looking at who we have id set us up:

-------------------------Wilczynski---------------------------

------------- Brown, Collins, Heaton-----------------
Trotman -------------------------------------- Galbraith

---------------Portas, Turnbull, Wheatley--------------

------------------------------Syers--------------------------------

------------------------------ Mills -------------------------------

Bench: Vaulks, Scott, Gillies, Cartman, Saunders

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Reece Styche has been "heavily linked" only in that quite a few fans have guessed that we may be after him because he played 3 matches on loan for Nuneaton last season.

I might be wrong but I think one of those games was against us at our place. Their centre forward was a right handful and I think it may have been him.

I just don't see why Tamworth would sell their top striker, nor why he would want to move club again so soon - especially one where he'd have to do a lot of travelling. I just can't see it, although I really hope I'm wrong.

If the striker that we're supposedly signing has played for Wright before and is keen on linking up with him again, I'd suggest we need to be looking at players who played more than 3 times for him as you'd imagine that bond would be established over a longer time.

Maybe we should be looking for who played for Corby in 2015 and 2016, the mystery striker could be in there. Funnily enough, Greg Mills fits that bill, scored 1 in 2 whilst at Corby.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm

JE93 wrote:Interesting. Wonder where Mills has been brought in to play. Maybe up top as a second striker?

Trotman makes sense. I thought Marrs was our best player for the first half of last season but he has never seemed to recapture that form since his injury. If we are moving to 3-5-2 I don't think he's fast enough to play the he wingback role.

Interesting as well that there are still possibly some outgoings. My front of the queue would be Burgess must be on a decent wage and just doesn't cut it at the he his level for me.

Agree with what you're saying although the problem with Burgess is that he signed a new deal in the summer didn't he, so he may be on very good money now. In which case, no one will be able to take him.

Also I think Gillies days might now be numbered, but again it's finding a club who will pay the decent wedge that he will be on.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Quakerz wrote:
JE93 wrote:Interesting. Wonder where Mills has been brought in to play. Maybe up top as a second striker?

Agree with what you're saying although the problem with Burgess is that he signed a new deal in the summer didn't he, so he may be on very good money now. In which case, no one will be able to take him.

Also I think Gillies days might now be numbered, but again it's finding a club who will pay the decent wedge that he will be on.
South Shields aren’t short of money..

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Depends if they are happy not playing and picking up wages or would prefer to play even for less money at another club

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Delighted to finally see us sign a left winger!

Add a centre forward and we look significantly stronger.

offside

Post by offside » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

South Shields aren’t short of money..
Probs end up at spenny lol

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Delighted with these signings, makes us look quite strong on paper.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Looking forward to TW actually building a team again. The start of the season was bizarre. We had player after player signed up. Some of them appeared once or twice or not at all. It was like a revolving door. MG at times seemed to sign players because they were available, regardless of whether we already had players in those positions (death by midfielder). Hopefully Tommy is getting a system he's comfortable with and getting in players to fit into those systems. This season we have been a collection of individuals, not a team and there's simply no point in signing expensive players if they don't play as a team. We really need a manager who can mould a group of players into something greater than the sum of their parts.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

It's also good that TW knows the players and they have played under him as well, so he'll know exactly what we're getting.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Looking forward to TW actually building a team again. The start of the season was bizarre. We had player after player signed up. Some of them appeared once or twice or not at all. It was like a revolving door. MG at times seemed to sign players because they were available, regardless of whether we already had players in those positions (death by midfielder). Hopefully Tommy is getting a system he's comfortable with and getting in players to fit into those systems. This season we have been a collection of individuals, not a team and there's simply no point in signing expensive players if they don't play as a team. We really need a manager who can mould a group of players into something greater than the sum of their parts.
...something that MG hasn’t been able to do when money got tight and a coach had to earn his stripes. I’m excited by these two signings and impressed with TW’s approach so far. Building a team is the key, not just bitching about the need for outside investment every time we drop points

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Totally agree Nick, TW seems so likeable compared to Gray, even when we were winning he still looked full of hell, just wonder how the York players are finding him?.Really hope Tommy and Whitey are a big success, a win Saturday will hopefully kick start our season before a run of tough games.If we can sign a good striker to compliment what we already have, we can easily get back into the top 7.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Quakerz wrote: Maybe we should be looking for who played for Corby in 2015 and 2016, the mystery striker could be in there. Funnily enough, Greg Mills fits that bill, scored 1 in 2 whilst at Corby.
If we're going along these lines (and assuming Mills is not the mystery striker), Spencer Weir-Daley was Corby's top scorer in the year Wright got them up to the National league North.

I'm semi-joking here, although he does fit the criteria.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo-and-Back

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Looking forward to TW actually building a team again. The start of the season was bizarre. We had player after player signed up. Some of them appeared once or twice or not at all. It was like a revolving door. MG at times seemed to sign players because they were available, regardless of whether we already had players in those positions (death by midfielder). Hopefully Tommy is getting a system he's comfortable with and getting in players to fit into those systems. This season we have been a collection of individuals, not a team and there's simply no point in signing expensive players if they don't play as a team. We really need a manager who can mould a group of players into something greater than the sum of their parts.
...something that MG hasn’t been able to do when money got tight and a coach had to earn his stripes. I’m excited by these two signings and impressed with TW’s approach so far. Building a team is the key, not just bitching about the need for outside investment every time we drop points

These two post say it all....

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 am

It's a positive sign TW is adding competition and freshening things up. My slight concern is, these signings are Midland based players which means a hell of a lot of travelling. I'm fully aware players do travel at many clubs in the league but 2hrs 30mins is a big ask (5hrs there and back) twice sometimes three times a week. Is it sustainable? Probably not.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

Radar wrote:It's a positive sign TW is adding competition and freshening things up. My slight concern is, these signings are Midland based players which means a hell of a lot of travelling. I'm fully aware players do travel at many clubs in the league but 2hrs 30mins is a big ask (5hrs there and back) twice sometimes three times a week. Is it sustainable? Probably not.
Car-sharing with the boss, presumably.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 am

Radar wrote:It's a positive sign TW is adding competition and freshening things up. My slight concern is, these signings are Midland based players which means a hell of a lot of travelling. I'm fully aware players do travel at many clubs in the league but 2hrs 30mins is a big ask (5hrs there and back) twice sometimes three times a week. Is it sustainable? Probably not.
But they are both only training twice a week instead of 5 times like they were....

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Quakerz wrote: Maybe we should be looking for who played for Corby in 2015 and 2016, the mystery striker could be in there. Funnily enough, Greg Mills fits that bill, scored 1 in 2 whilst at Corby.
If we're going along these lines (and assuming Mills is not the mystery striker), Spencer Weir-Daley was Corby's top scorer in the year Wright got them up to the National league North.

I'm semi-joking here, although he does fit the criteria.
Not only that but he's from Leicester - 4th man in a car share.

Also, as he's playing for Redditch United now, probably for buttons - you can see why he'd be keen to link up with Wright again.

His goalscoring record is very good, although a lot of his goals have been scored at Evostik Prem/Southern Prem level - the question I would have with this one would be, at the age of 32 can he step back up a level and do it in this league.

Look at Cartman, good goalscorer in the Evostik Prem, prolific in Evostik 1N, but hardly scores at this level.

I think you've hit the jackpot with SWD - I think it's him.