Worst ever Darlo player

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Worst ever Darlo player

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm

DL5 wrote:Worst ever player would be someone from the Northern League season who never really made a massive impact and/or wanted to be "home for tea" then moved to other 9th division clubs and hasn't played any higher.
You're probably right, but it's all relative. Frankly a professional who didn't cut the mustard is much worse that a semi pro already at that level, in my opinion.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:26 pm

DL5 wrote:Worst ever player would be someone from the Northern League season who never really made a massive impact and/or wanted to be "home for tea" then moved to other 9th division clubs and hasn't played any higher.
So someone like, say, Adam Clough or Mark Ellison then?

To be fair, neither were bad, they were just quickly replaced by better players.

But relatively speaking, someone like Craig James was "worse" than those two.

In fact didn't James end up in the NL anyway, where no doubt he was still shiit.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:19 pm

dickdarlington wrote: But my personal worst ever Darlo player (and this is controversial) is Gary Chapman. He played for three seasons (when i first started watching too - it's a wonder i still go), and scored 9 goals. 9 goals in three seasons. Not even double figures! And i think three of them were against Colchester in the 7-3 game (though i'm not sure). He has to be our worst ever 'regular' player.
He was with us 2 seasons. 9 goals in 2 seasons is still cack but considerably less cack than 9 in 3. 65 starts, 18 subs and 9 goals.
I once part-sponsored Gary Chapman's warm-up top.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Quakerz wrote:
So someone like, say, Adam Clough or Mark Ellison then?

To be fair, neither were bad, they were just quickly replaced by better players.

But relatively speaking, someone like Craig James was "worse" than those two.

In fact didn't James end up in the NL anyway, where no doubt he was still shiit.
Yeah I was thinking someone like Adam Nicholls or Daz Richardson for example whose levels seem to be Northern League

Some of our promotion heroes of the past 4 seasons are far worse players man for man than some of the names that have been banded around already in this thread.

It's all relative, without wanting to sound disrespectful to what we've achieved how many of these players could cut it in League 2 or even the conference?, some have hit their ceiling at NLN this year.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Surely you can only judge them fairly at the level they're playing at.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:14 pm

divas wrote:Surely you can only judge them fairly at the level they're playing at.
How are we quantifying "worst"

worst as in skills and playing level they achieve

or

worst as in looking consistently shite when turned out in a Darlo shirt regardless of what level it was.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

I'd say the latter.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Yeh it's got to be relative!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

The Craig Russell & Matt Clarke strike partnership was always an interesting one (Matt Clarke as a defender doesn't belong on this list, although I never particularly rated him either).

Craig James was awful. Must be something about players called Craig... oh wait.

I remember Bert Bossu having a few horrible games, but if memory serves he wasn't that bad in the end. Or maybe he was, not sure; could be mixing him up with Gomes at Spurs. I'd rate Michael Price as our worst regular first choice keeper from our League 2 days since 2000, although to be fair he's in good company.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 am

Matt Clarke was a better than decent player, he should be nowhere near this list.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 am

To be fair he wasn't that great. He was decent but always preferred a Joey Hutchinson style defender than Matt Clarke.

Clarke was good at what he was good at...but I remember that for a professional footballer his lack of ability to play simple 10-15yard passes was noticeable.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Matt Clarke was a better than decent player, he should be nowhere near this list.
According to Wikipedia he plays for Guiseley these days.

edi: after further research he left them in November 2013! No idea where is he now, if at all.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

grytters

Post by grytters » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
Undercovered wrote:Steve McMahon, too many s*** players to mention
THE worst player ever. Terrible.

( Followed swiftly by Clint Marcelle)
Seconded.

See also Phil "The Bench" Lineacre, and "Dim" Parkin.
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Matt Clarke was a better than decent player, he should be nowhere near this list.
According to Wikipedia he plays for Guiseley these days.

edi: after further research he left them in November 2013! No idea where is he now, if at all.
That's interesting, last I heard a few years ago was him moving to a club I think was in Malta.

feethams

Post by feethams » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Has to be Noel Whelan, although Lee 'no goals' Nogan was also a player I really did not like.

DFCSC_1

Post by DFCSC_1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm surprised no one's mentioned David Shearer!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:53 pm

feethams wrote:Has to be Noel Whelan, although Lee 'no goals' Nogan was also a player I really did not like.
Again nowhere near worst ever. Not sure any regular member of a playoff final squad can be close to worst ever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Yeh Nogan was no where near - surely Gabbiadini benefited somewhat from him. Jeff Smith was pretty diabolical from what I remember.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Steve mcmahon

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Another few that come to mind.

Clayton Fortune. Solid as quicksand, Stevie Wonder could read tge gane better. Think he's still around in the National League South somewhere.

Adam Proudlock. Probably not the worst ability wise, but was always about 2 stone overweight and a bit of a twat.

Stephen Thomas. Was two weeks away from fitness for about a year before leaving.

Nathan Porritt. Thought he was the dogs bollocks, turned out to be just bollocks.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 am

Ex-Derby player Roger Davies, only played a couple of games for us, before being shown the door and certainly not the great player he used to be.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:35 am

Paddy Deane anyone? Or have we all erased him from memory?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:35 pm

divas wrote:Paddy Deane anyone?
Who?

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Ex-Derby player Roger Davies, only played a couple of games for us, before being shown the door and certainly not the great player he used to be.
Did he not score a couple of goals away at Hartlepool? If so, can never be one of our worst players.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Darlo_H wrote:Another few that come to mind.

Clayton Fortune. Solid as quicksand, Stevie Wonder could read tge gane better. Think he's still around in the National League South somewhere.
Hereford, just won promotion to Southern League Prem so one step below NLS next season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:11 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Ex-Derby player Roger Davies, only played a couple of games for us, before being shown the door and certainly not the great player he used to be.
Did he not score a couple of goals away at Hartlepool? If so, can never be one of our worst players.
Don't think so, I remember him having a stinker at home. I've checked his playing record and he played 10 games for us scoring 1 goal, not a great return for an out and out striker.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Going from Pawel Abbott up front in 08/09, to Lee "Toblerone Head" Thorpe at the start of 09/10 was a culture shock.

Mor Diop was another from that horrific Staunton season. I've somehow managed to repress the memory of most of them, although there were about 50 of them.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Santino wrote:Going from Pawel Abbott up front in 08/09, to Lee "Toblerone Head" Thorpe at the start of 09/10 was a culture shock.

Mor Diop was another from that horrific Staunton season. I've somehow managed to repress the memory of most of them, although there were about 50 of them.
Surprised it's taken this long for players from the Staunton era to come up! Thorpe was absolutely useless.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Clint Marcelle as well, remember him playing against us at the Arena once (think it was for Grimsby) and didn't look too bad, but he was dreadful for us.

offside

Post by offside » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:41 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Paddy Deane, Noel Whelan, Ashlee Jones, Rikki Bains - in fact, just pick any of Staunton's signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tadhg Purcell wasn't too bad