The Tory Leadership Election Thread

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: The Tory Leadership Election Thread

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Henley wrote:It's merely the BBC hanging their hope on to loose threads. For a couple of reasons (Royal Perogative and the way the referendum bill was drafted and ultimately passed), the Government have the right to trigger Article 50.

The only reason anyone would try to contest this through the courts is to delay the triggering because they would end up losing.
John Redwood agrees with you:

Parliament and Article 50
John Redwood MP wrote:Parliament effectively control the prerogative powers of government. The government can send a letter triggering Article 50 without asking Parliament. Like all such deeds Parliament can review or vote down any action of the government. If the government uses powers in ways Parliament does not like Parliament can pass a vote of no confidence. We do not need lawyers telling us how to legislate or control government.
Unfortunately an application for judicial review was lodged by all these legal weasels in the High Court last week and now the government cannot act within it's clearly stated right until the court has given its approval.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Telegraph pulls article that claims Theresa May is ‘terrible Home Secretary’
The Telegraph has pulled a comment piece describing Theresa May as a “terrible Home Secretary” as she fights to become leader of the Conservatives and the next Prime Minister.

The piece was published on Friday in the News section of telegraph.co.uk but has since been taken down from the website.

It was written by Jonathan Foreman, according to Media Guido who says the article was pulled after May’s campaign team leaned on editors at the national daily.
Hardly surprising when you read what it said - here's the cached version!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Only May, Leadsom, and Gove left in the race now. Fox got eliminated and Crabb has dropped out of his own accord.

I now think that Theresa May will be the next PM (not that I want her to be) so I guess that means Osborne and Hammond will be retained, and Tony Blair will be drafted in to smooth things over with your European overlords. It won't bother the rich much - they'll lose a bit but still be in control.

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Fox got eliminated
Did Fox get eliminated by Hunt ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Only May, Leadsom, and Gove left in the race now. Fox got eliminated and Crabb has dropped out of his own accord.

I now think that Theresa May will be the next PM (not that I want her to be) so I guess that means Osborne and Hammond will be retained, and Tony Blair will be drafted in to smooth things over with your European overlords. It won't bother the rich much - they'll lose a bit but still be in control.
I can see May being pretty much nailed on amongst the MPs, but a closer battle with Leasdom at the grassroots level.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Theresa May it is then!

This should be interesting.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Surprised it all happened so quick. Before all the predictable comparisons like Thatcher Mk2 etc are made, we need to give the lady a chance and not pre-judge based on prejudice and misconceptions. She says she wants to make things better for working people, not just the elite; that would be a popular start. She was a safe pair of hands at the Home office and should provide a steady hand at the helm. Now all we need is the oposition to get their credibility back and provide some effective opposition.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Have to say I'm glad it's Theresa May over Andrea Leadsom.

Leadsom was hopelessly inexperienced and would have struggled massively. That interview with the Times showed her naivety and how she wasn't ready for senior office just yet.

I voted for Brexit but I do think she was by far the strongest candidate out of the 5 who stood for the leadership.

It's also a bit bizarre for Labour to be calling for a snap election. Given how divided they are, they'd be hammered if there was an election right now.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Pretty glad it's not Leadsom basically. I haven't heard one sound bite from her to date which I agree with. Be it her stance on fox hunting, gay marriage, brexit or the minimum wage.
Darlogramps wrote:It's also a bit bizarre for Labour to be calling for a snap election. Given how divided they are, they'd be hammered if there was an election right now.
There are two sides to it. Not sure if they are really thinking they could get a majority - not even close.

The thing that is an interesting dynamic. I think it would be foolish (and wrong) for any party to suggest no Brexit in their manifesto - the terms of that Brexit are another matter and I suspect between Greens, Lib Dem, Labour and SNP there could be some consistency in the terms that would be wanted to be achieved - and they could all make very similar pledges.

That plus some tactical allocation of resource - i.e. put all your money into the tory marginal and leaves each others marginal seats alone and it could be an interesting result.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:09 pm

May seems to have made a very good start and already looks very prime ministerial.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 am

What should a Prime Minister look like, Pete?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm

As though they'd know what they are doing, even if they don't, haha.