Dave Mills - Steps down

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Dave Mills - Steps down

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Dave Mills wrote:It is with deep sadness that I need to inform you that I am stepping down from my role of volunteer Director of Darlington 1883 Ltd, with immediate effect. Some of you will know that I suffered a mini-stroke recently, this event was a wake-up call for me and was life changing and since that time I have drastically changed my lifestyle. Removing unnecessary stress by retiring from any employment was one of the changes I have made (alongside healthier eating, which maybe was noticeable to some!)

Volunteering for DFC has, particularly over recent months, become much more demanding, both in time and pressure, than myself and my family ever envisaged or imagined it would be. It is all encompassing and has no limits on the demands on me. Protecting (and I must re-iterate and emphasise that this considered action is a preventative measure and by no means a reaction to any singular event) my health must be my priority and this is the only way for me to regain some normality and sense of balance in my life. There was never going to be a good time to make this decision. I will never be able to explain how hard this decision has been for me. Many sleepless nights worrying about everything to do with the football club, has given me quite a bit of thinking time, and the time has come where I have to consider the risks to my health and longevity, and the effect this is having on my family.

2016 will be the most exciting time in the Club’s recent history, of that I have no doubt! Significantly, and in terms of succession planning, I have ensured that galvanisation between the football club and the Darlington Football Club Supporters Group (DFCSG) is now complete, and as the Corporate Director of Darlington 1883 Ltd and majority shareholder, the DFCSG is now in the best position to maximise its position fully on the Board of Directors and represent the views of fans. The Directors of the DFCSG, led by John Tempest, will be the strategic driving force of DFC moving forward and the club is truly in the safe hands of the fans as we always wanted it to be. Harry Dunn, Club Secretary and David Watson, General Manager, will maintain the footballing operational links between the management, coaches and players to the Board of Directors.

John Tempest has been very actively fulfilling his role of Corporate Director of Darlington 1883 Ltd for the last four months, he has also been instrumental in the advanced agreements with Darlington Rugby Football Club and the return to Darlington, and I know John will see this through to its completion in the very near future. Overall, I’m content that all of the hard work to get us to this stage will be carried on in the same way, the return to Darlington process will not be affected at all, and the outcome we’ve all been working for isn’t very far away.

John and the DFCSG Board will of course always require help and support and I again urge anyone with time to give and the appropriate skills to contact John to discuss this opportunity further. With many hands the job of fan ownership becomes manageable, without additional resource going forward the workload will always land on the few, which makes DFC more vulnerable.

As everyone knows, the Club will launch a major fund raising activity very shortly. The full background and context to this fundraising initiative has been well documented recently and can be found in the Annual Review, Directors’ Report and Financial Statements for the year ended 30 June 2015, which was discussed with shareholders at the Club’s AGM on 5th November 2015 and also discussed with supporters at the Fans’ Forum on 11th November 2015. As a fan owned Club I’m confident that all supporters will dig-deep to support the fund raising objectives and reach the targets which have been set.

Finally, I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to every volunteer, everyone connected with Darlington Football Club and the DFC Supporters Group, for their help and support during my voluntary time with DFC.

I am a fan, I have always been a fan and I will always be a fan. Keep the faith and get behind our Club and the DFCSG, I certainly will be!

JE93

Re: Dave Mills - Steps down

Post by JE93 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:24 pm

First and foremost I think everyone will wish Dave well and hope he gets back to good health as soon as possible. He will be remembered as a corner stone of this era of DFC, without him and Martin Jesper the club would not be in the positive position it now is.

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Dave Mills contribution has been immense.
He has shown amazing enthusiasm ~ effort ~ committment ~ professionalism and quality.

Thank You Dave!

bga

Post by bga » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:48 pm

I echo the comments above Dave. Thanks for all you have done to keep the club afloat. As you say your health must come first.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 pm

A massive thank you to Dave for everything you have been involved in over the last few years you will be a big miss.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Over the last four seasons I think he has been the most influential person at the club on or off the pitch.

Think everyone at the club thanks Dave for all he has done, will be impossible to replace

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Absolutely gutted to see him step down but totally understand the reasons behind his decision. I echo the above sentiments that he's going to be a difficult one to replace, his enthusiasm is infectious and his energy seemed limitless.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Just want to add another voice to say "thank you" to Dave Mills whose contribution has been beyond compare .

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 am

Can only echo what's been said in here already. Thank you for everything Dave, and all the best.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:36 am

Immense contribution over the last 4 seasons. Cannot be underestimated how crucial a role he has played in getting the club this far. Well done.

GraemeT

Post by GraemeT » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am

Thanks Dave

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for everything you've done Dave. :clap: Look after yourself and be sure to come along when fit enough.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 am

A great shame but understandable and a huge amount of thanks must go to Dave Mills.

If we have more like him who can step up to the plate then we'll be ok.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Bad news & terrible, terrible timing. It was only under 3 months ago that DM said at the last forum that he was committed to his new CEO role & seeing through the move back to Darlo so this news is a real shock.

We've lost, & not replaced, 2 CEO's (& FD effectively) in the last few months whilst at the same time trying to negotiate a return to Darlo, launch a significant fund raise and coming into the crucial time of year to tie up a shirt sponsor for next season, setting budgets, contract renewals, etc.

From the outside, for anyone thinking of investing money into the club, this does not engender confidence!

Clearly the demands on a small board of directors for a voluntary role have been too great and going forward we need more people, with suitable skills, to spread the workload. Will anyone step forward? Is John Tempest up to the job? Feels like we are back to crossing our fingers & hoping again.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Why do you look at a negative Robbie painter,
The man has not walked out on the club ,he's worked himself
To a standstill.overdone it and is now unwell ,the club can only prosper
From davids hard work ethic and what he's helped put in place.
Hope to see David at a home game when he is fit well and able. :thumbup:

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:46 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Bad news & terrible, terrible timing. It was only under 3 months ago that DM said at the last forum that he was committed to his new CEO role & seeing through the move back to Darlo so this news is a real shock.

We've lost, & not replaced, 2 CEO's (& FD effectively) in the last few months whilst at the same time trying to negotiate a return to Darlo, launch a significant fund raise and coming into the crucial time of year to tie up a shirt sponsor for next season, setting budgets, contract renewals, etc.

From the outside, for anyone thinking of investing money into the club, this does not engender confidence!

Clearly the demands on a small board of directors for a voluntary role have been too great and going forward we need more people, with suitable skills, to spread the workload. Will anyone step forward? Is John Tempest up to the job? Feels like we are back to crossing our fingers & hoping again.

Robbie is in no way being negative, rather he raises issues that have to be faced in the weeks ahead.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:50 pm

onewayup wrote:Why do you look at a negative Robbie painter,
The man has not walked out on the club ,he's worked himself
To a standstill.overdone it and is now unwell ,the club can only prosper
From davids hard work ethic and what he's helped put in place.
Hope to see David at a home game when he is fit well and able. :thumbup:
Losing two extremely capable people in Martin Jesper & Dave Mills is negative.

Its far from a given that "the club can only prosper" given we've now got a new, unproven, board running the club.

Obviously on a personal basis I've got nothing but good wishes for Dave.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Really sad news about Dave standing down, but given the situation completely understandable. Hope that suitable replacements are in place for staff that have recently left.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

A big thank you to Dave Mills for all his work and commitment over the years, he will be a hard act to follow. It's imperative that we have willing volunteers of the right calibre stepping forward asap

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks for everything Dave!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:49 pm

best of luck Dave - thanks for contributing so much to ensure we still have our Darlo to follow...

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Bad news & terrible, terrible timing. It was only under 3 months ago that DM said at the last forum that he was committed to his new CEO role & seeing through the move back to Darlo so this news is a real shock.

How selfish.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I can only echo the comments on here, Dave has been brilliant for the football club and will be a huge loss, the right decision though, health should always come first

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Of course the timing is bad but if the job is affecting his health then he has made the right choice. I do wonder if Saturday's postponement and the problems that always follow was simply the last straw and, if he was in any doubt, it made his mind up for him. Think the club should make him a Vice President for life after all he has done.

billieloid

Post by billieloid » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Think the club should make him a Vice President for life after all he has done.

What a good idea.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:57 pm

QuakerPete wrote:A big thank you to Dave Mills for all his work and commitment over the years, he will be a hard act to follow. It's imperative that we have willing volunteers of the right calibre stepping forward asap
I would think that people with the right experience are within our fan base. However whether these people have the time to commit to such a role is the big question.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Agree with timing not being great but a healthy life surely comes first, I've heard from people at the RC it has been John Tempest pulling all the individuals together after a rocky few months last year. Instead of waiting for them to fail why not get off your arse and volunteer to help instead of questioning whether they should fail or succeed.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 pm

loan_star wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:A big thank you to Dave Mills for all his work and commitment over the years, he will be a hard act to follow. It's imperative that we have willing volunteers of the right calibre stepping forward asap
I would think that people with the right experience are within our fan base. However whether these people have the time to commit to such a role is the big question.
That may be correct but I wonder if it would require more than 2 new directors in order to spread the load to make those positions less than full-time. Otherwise the talent pool could be quite small

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 pm

The more people we have the better. Even if you know you can only do a bit if you think you have skills which the club can utilise I would urge you get in touch. The more people we have the easier it is for everyone involved.

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 am

This is the issue for me, nobody knows what skills are required?

Also despite people potentially having the skills they are fans first and foremost and any other capacity requires them to become much more than that and clearly the stress involved is substantial.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk