Darlington v Buxton Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

njb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Buxton Match Thread

Post by njb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:13 pm

We were very disappointing in the second half onwards, the midfield just crumbled once they went on the attack. The annoying thing was their keeper was terrible yet we couldn't test him at all. I hope the new player is a strong central midfielder cos we are sadly lacking at the moment.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 pm

2nd Half we were non-existant. Absolute tosh

Came out for the 2nd half thinking we had already won the game. Match also changed when Galbraith went off and Scott went to left back. There was nothing in midfield at all
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Just back from the game and got to say for the last hour Buxton were the better side, much more shape than us and totally controlled the midfield. Never ever thought I would see a Darlo side throw a 3 goal lead away, but we were very poor in midfield and I thought Edwards was very weak and lightweight tonight, just does not do it for me.MG taking off Moore and Dowson weakened us and we totally lost our shape and struggled to make any chances in the second half. Left back seems a problem for Gray as he took Galbraith off again and switched Leon to LB, which weakened us without doubt .Hope to god this new signing is a strong midfielder because by god do we need one.

njb

Post by njb » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Edwards looks good when he has time but when he's under pressure he fades away. MG was screaming at Galbraith all second half for not marking up and eventually subbed him, but we went down hill from then on once Scott came out of midfield. I can't see a future for Paul Robinson, MG won't use him even when the we are playing badly in the middle. When he did come on in extra time he had a couple of decent touches but looks too slow. We need Weldon back at full back so Leon doesn't have to drop back.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 pm

njb wrote:Edwards looks good when he has time but when he's under pressure he fades away. MG was screaming at Galbraith all second half for not marking up and eventually subbed him, but we went down hill from then on once Scott came out of midfield. I can't see a future for Paul Robinson, MG won't use him even when the we are playing badly in the middle. When he did come on in extra time he had a couple of decent touches but looks too slow. We need Weldon back at full back so Leon doesn't have to drop back.
Agree with most of that, Scott good, Galbraith shite, P Robinson too slow.

Thought Weldon would have been back by now. We need two Leon Scott's
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Really embarrassing second half display - didn't compete for 30 minutes. Imagine the club's bean counters are counting the cost of our exit with the next round looking eminently winnable too

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Some interesting comments here regarding the midfield falling to pieces once Scott dropped to fullback.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Spyman wrote:Some interesting comments here regarding the midfield falling to pieces once Scott dropped to fullback.

Yeh but Spyman unless you have seen it live you can't comment.

It's disappointing more for the money it's cost us when really we should have been strolling to that £2.5k after the first half. Sheffield FC would have been a good tie but again never mind it would have been a tricky game and maybe our legs are best saved.

I don't think in my time supporting Darlington I have ever seen us knock a team from a division above us out of a cup competition. I've known Dagenham & Redbridge and Burscough to knock us out and I've seen us fail against Sheffield United, Manchester City, Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest.

The cup is the cup strange things can happen. The league is the important thing this season.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Some interesting comments here regarding the midfield falling to pieces once Scott dropped to fullback.

Yeh but Spyman unless you have seen it live you can't comment.

It's disappointing more for the money it's cost us when really we should have been strolling to that £2.5k after the first half. Sheffield FC would have been a good tie but again never mind it would have been a tricky game and maybe our legs are best saved.

I don't think in my time supporting Darlington I have ever seen us knock a team from a division above us out of a cup competition. I've known Dagenham & Redbridge and Burscough to knock us out and I've seen us fail against Sheffield United, Manchester City, Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest.

The cup is the cup strange things can happen. The league is the important thing this season.
That's what has really pi**ed me off too. Practically made it to the next round if we kept going the way we were and would have had a decent go at Sheffield too. This may cost us £6,000ish which we most definitely need at the minute!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:I don't think in my time supporting Darlington I have ever seen us knock a team from a division above us out of a cup competition. I've known Dagenham & Redbridge and Burscough to knock us out and I've seen us fail against Sheffield United, Manchester City, Bolton Wanderers, Nottingham Forest.

Is this the Forest game in early 2000's? I thought we'd beat them and then got hammered by Bradford City?

I could be way off the mark though.

The Drip
Team Supported: No One In Particular

Post by The Drip » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:12 am

AndyPark wrote:Fuck me, I expected them to be more of a challenge tonight haha.
You obviously know a lot more about football than you let on Andy :lol: :lol:

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 am

AndyPark wrote:Is this the Forest game in early 2000's? I thought we'd beat them and then got hammered by Bradford City?

Not sure if the Bradford thumping was the next round (I was there for that one) but we did beat Forest 2-1 at their place - I think that was the Elliot wonder-goal from way out with Beasant left floundering?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:19 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Is this the Forest game in early 2000's? I thought we'd beat them and then got hammered by Bradford City?

Not sure if the Bradford thumping was the next round (I was there for that one) but we did beat Forest 2-1 at their place - I think that was the Elliot wonder-goal from way out with Beasant left floundering?
I actually thought it was in the league cup, so on reflection there were two legs. I had it in my head that we lost the home tie but just looked it up on t'internet and we drew 2-2 - Elliot scored a penalty in that game. We lost the lead twice, maybe that's why it felt like a defeat! I didn't go to the away tie.

The Bradford 7-2 thumping was the next round.

Well that probably answers my earlier question about the last time we knocked out a team from a division above in a cup competition...last time in an FA competition anyone?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:23 am

Bristol Rovers few years ago
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 am

As a matter of interest....any reason why Martin Gray didn't watch the penalty shoot out, that's what it says in the Echo. Other than he obviously knows we are garbage at taking penalties lol.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 am

Chelsea 1958 and West Ham 1960

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:08 am

Sometimes you've really just got to hold your hand up and admit that the best team went through on the night. Buxton's never-say-die attitude and bottle left us looking every inch a team from a lower division in the second half. We were outplayed, outfought and outclassed and could barely get a foot on the ball for long stretches in that period.

We were already second best all over the pitch but from the moment of the switch after Galbraith went off it fell apart completely. We were totally over-run in the middle of the field (as at Ramsbottom) and the tactical switches proved a disaster.

Yes, the league is much more important but there were some worrying signs for the months ahead... the weakness in the middle when teams take the game to us and the fragility of the defence under pressure. It highlighted again how we are weaker than last season in key areas and I don't think that second half capitulation would have happened with the likes of Brown, Tait, Gott and Emms in there.

On the pens, it kind of had the air of Germany V England and they had already built up the confidence to finish off the job after the Great Escape.

Credit to the crowd, they stuck with the team all the way, even when we were running around like headless chickens. Just a shame the Buxton players were able to gloat at shutting us up big style.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 am

Very disappointing second half display, especially given the dominance of the first half.

The substitutions actually seemed to make matters worse. Scott from having a useful influence faded to non entity. With the exception of Hunter the defence were all over the place, Bell seems to be carrying an injury and let himself be bullied.

The other thing i noticed, and it was the same at Curzon, some of our lads (Edwards, Palatios to mention 2) tired badly in the last 20 minutes, 50/50 balls always going the opposition way.

Need to get all the squad fit, Weldon etc. Fisher playing ASAP and any new additions need to have spirit as well as skill.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 am

LoidLucan wrote:Sometimes you've really just got to hold your hand up and admit that the best team went through on the night. Buxton's never-say-die attitude and bottle left us looking every inch a team from a lower division in the second half. We were outplayed, outfought and outclassed and could barely get a foot on the ball for long stretches in that period.

We were already second best all over the pitch but from the moment of the switch after Galbraith went off it fell apart completely. We were totally over-run in the middle of the field (as at Ramsbottom) and the tactical switches proved a disaster.

Yes, the league is much more important but there were some worrying signs for the months ahead... the weakness in the middle when teams take the game to us and the fragility of the defence under pressure. It highlighted again how we are weaker than last season in key areas and I don't think that second half capitulation would have happened with the likes of Brown, Tait, Gott and Emms in there.

On the pens, it kind of had the air of Germany V England and they had already built up the confidence to finish off the job after the Great Escape.

Credit to the crowd, they stuck with the team all the way, even when we were running around like headless chickens. Just a shame the Buxton players were able to gloat at shutting us up big style.
Brilliant post and what a b***dy good game. Fans were superb. My only point of contention with your post is whether (Tait aside) the players you mention would have necessarily done any better. Emms could conceivably have plugged the wide left midfield gap better where we were horribly exposed but for me I've reached the view that tapping into the 'best of the NL' may not be good enough to crack it in this league. I reckon Martin's approach is right to look at players with backclass or potential.

Looking at the 3 goals for buxton all were defensive howlers. !st goal - 2 lads marking the same man, 2nd goal - poor tracking back from CM and 3rd goal just embarassing marking on the edge of the box. individual errors. can't quite work out if the 1st goal was offside.
Last edited by princes town on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 am

We were gash for 90 minutes last night. That's the truth. The linesman on the dugout side looked as if he'd been bought off with the Buxton management constantly whispering in his ear and him giving them 99% of the decisions.

From the second half onwards only hunter could hold his head up after that performance.

Oh and I've only just thawed my feet out from last night!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 am

Totally agree with Lucans post, my feeling is we desperately need 2 full backs and a midfielder who can all add steel and physical strength to our team which is sadly lacking this season.MG has already signed the 2 young lads Pilatos and Edwards on 18 month contracts and for me are not ready physically, and lack the experience to compete at this level. Galbraith seems to be just strolling through games with little impact, nowhere near the player he was last season, and again is this level a step too far for him. Harrison and Gott were better than Pilatos and Edwards and are proving a big miss for us.Looks like Paul Robinson is not part of MG,s plans which is a shame because he has undoubted ability but just lacks that yard of pace but I would still start with him on Saturday if Leon is at LB. Having seen the games this season it is obviously much more physical and far better in quality than the Northern League and we need to match these teams physically if we are to even think about the play-offs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Quakerz wrote:Brilliant scoreline so far, retribution for Saturday?
Your a jinx Quakerz, haha.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 pm

First home game I missed last night, but from what it sounds like on here we were shambolic in the 2nd half. We need this to be sorted out quick.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Brilliant scoreline so far, retribution for Saturday?
Your a jinx Quakerz, haha.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Panic stations everyone :roll:

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:51 pm

The whole team switched off in the second half until we were 3-2 up. After that we started playing again & it was an even contest through to pens.

So whilst the second half performance was abysmal it should be remembered that over two games against a team a level above us we at the very least held our own, were never behind at any point and only have ourselves to blame for not winning.

The main problem with the team, as many people have pointed out, is in midfield - especially centrally. The loss of Gott & Galbraith has been massive. Also whilst Chris Moore is excellent going forward when supplied with the ball otherwise he offers very little defensively or in build up play. Ideally we'd be able to bring someone else in to challenge him.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 pm

No panic but there are issues that need sorting if we are to make progress this season. Last night wasn't the first time those issues have surfaced although it did result in the most demoralising defeat so far.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

We can't seem to keep a clean sheet in any game now. If our defensive frailities aren't addressed very soon, then we'll not even get into the end of season play-offs.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:We can't seem to keep a clean sheet in any game now. If our defensive frailities aren't addressed very soon, then we'll not even get into the end of season play-offs.
We havn't been keeping clean sheets all season. If we continue as we are - we will get into the playoffs the table tells us that much.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We can't seem to keep a clean sheet in any game now. If our defensive frailities aren't addressed very soon, then we'll not even get into the end of season play-offs.
We havn't been keeping clean sheets all season. If we continue as we are - we will get into the playoffs the table tells us that much.
It was a premier team we played as well. We're a bit of work in progress but play offs are definitely feasible if we can cut out the individual errors.