DARLO PLAYING FOOTBALL AT THE ARENA 2013

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_H
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DARLO PLAYING FOOTBALL AT THE ARENA 2013

Post by Darlo_H » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:32 pm

divas wrote: All well and good if we'd had this ground when we kicked off in the NL and had something basic we can add to each season.

However we're now looking at the probability that this ground will have to be up to BSN standard straight away.
This. The likelyhood of us springing a BSN standard ground in the town before we actually get there is practically none, which leaves Mowden or the Arena.

To be honest, I'm not sure if either of them would be particularly interested in having us.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Mowden is the arena. What are the main stumbling blocks of us getting a BSN ground in the next couple of years. Land, planning permission and cash, I can probably only see one being a big issue and that can be worked at.

Don't get me wrong it could well be one of the poorest stadiums at that level but it would be ours.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Darlo will wrote:Why the f*** do people even think about going back to that graveyard? If anything goes wrong at HP im sure the board could sort another ground share with say shildon or waste aukland, although the latter would double rental charges
Agreed, to a point.

The two grounds you have mentioned do not meet Evo Stik level grading, if HP went tits up our next best bet would probably be Spenny!
Sod Shildon, look what happened last year when we nearly played there instead of HP, as for Wank Shitland, they would want us like a dose of the clap, not wanted at all...Your right about there grading, Shildon is not graded above the Northern League, and them down the road probably aren't either. As for Spenny, no thank you, it may be the only choice pretty much and closer to a higher grading than HP, Dean Street and West, but if we thought last seasons fixture congestion and backlog was bad at HP when it waterlogged, then I would bet the Spenny pitch is just as bad, if not worse.
Darlo will wrote:I was making the point that anything is better than the arena! I dont get why people dont understand that that place has killed us, what idiots we would look going back
Yes, the Arena killed us, no doubt about it, but right now, it's not the worst option to think about, where is there another ground that meets a Grade B srandard, Spenny could probably achieve it with minimal work, Bishop probably as well, after that, who is left, Gateshead and York are probably too far, and the only other option is, well, that does not bear thinking about.
Darlo will wrote:
divas wrote:Given Bishop don't even own the ground I'd find it highly unlikely that if something happened to them we'd not be able to utilise it.
do bishop rent it then? if they went tits up could we not take over as landlords?
Not sure who owns HP, but if it came to that, I cant see why we could not become landlords, I also cant see why we could not do something like what AFC Wimbledon(although there is different reasons to ours)did and buy Kingsmeadow, I think the deal is something like Kingstonian pay a nominal fee for rent with a Pre Season Friendly between the 2 every year and if/when Wimbledon move back to Merton then Kingstonian have first refusalmt8 buy it back for a nominal fee...If push comes to shove, we could look into that as an option, although it is an option I dont particularly like and would not support it fully...

The facts are quite clear, the only real viable option is unfortunately the Arena, it was a breeze block round our necks, it was terminal and ultimately fatal.

If we were to go down that route, I would rather see us at the Arena in Conference North rather than HP and stuck at step 3, and if it were too happen, it should be done with promises that we still look for a new ground.

As a fan owned club, we, as fans, obviously makes us the kingmaker so to speak, and can call the directors out with issues, a new ground being most peoples biggest issue
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:49 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Darlo will wrote:Why the f*** do people even think about going back to that graveyard? If anything goes wrong at HP im sure the board could sort another ground share with say shildon or waste aukland, although the latter would double rental charges
Agreed, to a point.

The two grounds you have mentioned do not meet Evo Stik level grading, if HP went tits up our next best bet would probably be Spenny!
Sod Shildon, look what happened last year when we nearly played there instead of HP, as for Wank Shitland, they would want us like a dose of the clap, not wanted at all...Your right about there grading, Shildon is not graded above the Northern League, and them down the road probably aren't either. As for Spenny, no thank you, it may be the only choice pretty much and closer to a higher grading than HP, Dean Street and West, but if we thought last seasons fixture congestion and backlog was bad at HP when it waterlogged, then I would bet the Spenny pitch is just as bad, if not worse.
Darlo will wrote:I was making the point that anything is better than the arena! I dont get why people dont understand that that place has killed us, what idiots we would look going back
Yes, the Arena killed us, no doubt about it, but right now, it's not the worst option to think about, where is there another ground that meets a Grade B srandard, Spenny could probably achieve it with minimal work, Bishop probably as well, after that, who is left, Gateshead and York are probably too far, and the only other option is, well, that does not bear thinking about.
Darlo will wrote:
divas wrote:Given Bishop don't even own the ground I'd find it highly unlikely that if something happened to them we'd not be able to utilise it.
do bishop rent it then? if they went tits up could we not take over as landlords?
Not sure who owns HP, but if it came to that, I cant see why we could not become landlords, I also cant see why we could not do something like what AFC Wimbledon(although there is different reasons to ours)did and buy Kingsmeadow, I think the deal is something like Kingstonian pay a nominal fee for rent with a Pre Season Friendly between the 2 every year and if/when Wimbledon move back to Merton then Kingstonian have first refusalmt8 buy it back for a nominal fee...If push comes to shove, we could look into that as an option, although it is an option I dont particularly like and would not support it fully...

The facts are quite clear, the only real viable option is unfortunately the Arena, it was a breeze block round our necks, it was terminal and ultimately fatal.

If we were to go down that route, I would rather see us at the Arena in Conference North rather than HP and stuck at step 3, and if it were too happen, it should be done with promises that we still look for a new ground.

As a fan owned club, we, as fans, obviously makes us the kingmaker so to speak, and can call the directors out with issues, a new ground being most peoples biggest issue
442 Football Crazy Admin

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:06 pm

How is it viable?

We are not wanted there.

And again, you can't enter into a groundshare agreement to achieve ground grading for promotion purposes! (Or to avoid relegation).

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:The facts are quite clear, the only real viable option is unfortunately the Arena, it was a breeze block round our necks, it was terminal and ultimately fatal.

How is it viable?

We are not wanted there.

And again, you can't enter into a groundshare agreement to achieve ground grading for promotion purposes! (Or to avoid relegation).
We may not be welcome at the Arena, i fullly accept that but where is the other fit grounds that could step 2 football, forget Gateshead or York, the only other choice is unthinkable, as my signature says, if it looks like a turd and all that.

I know the groundsharing rules do not permit shares for teams purely for the purpose of promotion, I can see us keeping climbing for at least the next 3 years, but what will happen if we win the Evostik Premier in 2014/15

Marxista Fozz
442 Football Crazy Admin

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:23 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:The facts are quite clear, the only real viable option is unfortunately the Arena, it was a breeze block round our necks, it was terminal and ultimately fatal.

How is it viable?

We are not wanted there.

We may not be welcome at the Arena, i fullly accept that but where is the other fit grounds that could step 2 football, forget Gateshead or York, the only other choice is unthinkable, as my signature says, if it looks like a turd and all that.

I know the groundsharing rules do not permit shares for teams purely for the purpose of promotion, I can see us keeping climbing for at least the next 3 years, but what will happen if we win the Evostik Premier in 2014/15

Marxista Fozz

What ever happens in 2014/15 doesn't change the rules.

And it doesn't change MPRFC mind either.

Two choices: Build our own ground or upgrade HP.

That's it!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I see it the same way as Fibonacci and something we may have to accept in the long run. Say it cost 100k to upgrade Bishop but we could get a grant for half, then we may well have to accept its the only option. I can see us going up his year but maybe money going into stadium instead of squad could hold us back in Evo Prem for a year or so.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Furthermore, we actually have 3 more seasons that we can play at HP.

So, although it is not a great amount of time, it is 12 more months than previously thought.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:

How is it viable?

We are not wanted there.

Marxista Fozz

That's it!
Point taken pal, but surely there is nothing wrong with talking to them every now and again, infrequent dialogue between both sides is not going to kill people...

So, if we were to follow FA Rules to the letter, should we have not been stopped from playing Heritage Park, as we had been dealing with Shildon and only from what my hazy memory recalls, we ditched Shildon knowing we could only get promoted out of HP...

I dont like the idea of the Arena, it is a soulless arena, it has no heart, I only went a few times and absolutely could not stand the place..l would not piss on the place if it went up in flames...But as a stictly short term option is surely worth taking about...

Whats the craic with the RA, could that place be upgraded or notmfor Conf Nat and Conf North

This issue is one that we can argue about till were blue in the face and not find the right solution to it
442 Football Crazy Admin

The Lincoln Quaker

Post by The Lincoln Quaker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Unless I have missed it been said elsewhere. There has been massive changes since the arena. For a start if we went back we wouldn't be charging £18 for a ticket. That MUST have put some supporters in the town off as costs are a huge part not just because they didn't like the arena. This time round it be around £10 and that's got to attract more people from Darlo.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:29 pm

The rules are different because we never played at all at Shildon. And considering we had just left the Arena, you can't say we went to HP to get promoted.

And the move to HP was on H&S grounds. Wheelchair access etc.

As for talking to MP, yes there is no harm talking to them.

However, there isn't anyone listening.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:32 pm

If you look at the satellite picture of the RA's ground it's pretty obvious what the problem is. The pitch is shoe-horned in. The only prospect of obtaining the necessary standing and seating capacity together with adequate toilets and changing rooms is to build on the cricket pitch. I can't foresee the RA Cricket section of the RA Sports & Social Club allowing that. Even in the extremely unlikely event that they did, the development would require planning permission. There is zero off-street parking in the area. Therefore I can not foresee the Borough Council granting planning permission for a development to create a capacity for 3,000 people (may be 6,000 for aspirations above Conference North) with parking to be absorbed totally by surrounding terraced streets. Traffic impact would be unbelievable. It's bad enough as it is on a match day with the 60 spectators + players at the RA.

Don't see any problem with maintaining dialogue with MPRFC, perhaps they might warm to the idea to a season-long groundshare as long as Darlo have committed plans to be somewhere else.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:If you look at the satellite picture of the RA's ground it's pretty obvious what the problem is. The pitch is shoe-horned in. The only prospect of obtaining the necessary standing and seating capacity together with adequate toilets and changing rooms is to build on the cricket pitch. I can't foresee the RA Cricket section of the RA Sports & Social Club allowing that. Even in the extremely unlikely event that they did, the development would require planning permission. There is zero off-street parking in the area. Therefore I can not foresee the Borough Council granting planning permission for a development to create a capacity for 3,000 people (may be 6,000 for aspirations above Conference North) with parking to be absorbed totally by surrounding terraced streets. Traffic impact would be unbelievable. It's bad enough as it is on a match day with the 60 spectators + players at the RA.

Don't see any problem with maintaining dialogue with MPRFC, perhaps they might warm to the idea to a season-long groundshare as long as Darlo have committed plans to be somewhere else.
I see what you mean regarding it being hemmed in. Personally, as for our eventual home, I would like to see a capacity of 4000 to start with, that is Conference Minimum I think, I think we would also need to get permissionmmgranted to put an extra 1000 as/when we start getting close to challenging for round the top half of the BSP
442 Football Crazy Admin

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes a capacity of 4000 is required for the Conference, with the ability to increase to 5000.

I don't know for certain, but I suppose the ability to increase capacity by 1000 would include having the necessary planning permission.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
fozzovmurton wrote:

How is it viable?

We are not wanted there.

Marxista Fozz

That's it!
I think we'll end up doing both one way or another. HP is good as it is for next season (2013-14) and the one after (2014-15), but if we get two more promotions in that time ;) then HP will need upgrading for the BSN before 2015-16 or a new ground built by then. This, like most people suggest, is pretty unlikely, but the Darlo new ground will be presumably be "well on it's way". Hence the HP upgrade is really the only way forward actually.

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:16 pm

The only place I can see us ending up in Darlo is Blackwell Meadows, not sure who owns the place and if they would want us. Obviously, it already has changing facilities, bar, clubhouse etc. so what would it need to upgrade?
If this isnt possible could we ask Boro if we could share with them, cant be much further than HP for folks to drive and no grading worries

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 pm

How is it viable?
As owners it isn't.

As tenants, depends on the rent doesn't it?
We are not wanted there.
We'll see about that a year or two down the line.
Wrong.

That rule is to prevent teams who own their own grounds gaining promotion through spending on their team rather than upgrading their ground, and then ground sharing somewhere else.

We do not own our own ground and are nomads, we'll be able to move from ground to ground if we need to.

So stop saying "again" like this is some sort of fact that you keep on having to repeat over and over, because it was never correct the first time that you said it.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Furthermore, we actually have 3 more seasons that we can play at HP.

So, although it is not a great amount of time, it is 12 more months than previously thought.
How is that then?

Evostik 1
Evostik Prem.

We'll piss them both, that's two seasons, then what?

HP isn't BSN graded.

Yes we may be given grace to upgrade the ground to BSN level, gaining us a 3rd season, but then that does require a commitment from us to do that work. Hardly going to do that work and then walk away are we? Do that and we might as well stay there 10 years and watch the club go down the tubes.

So no, we don't have 3 seasons - we have two seasons OR two seasons + do the work and stay there many seasons. Fuck that.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:20 pm

If we keep climbing and get to the BSN in the next 2-3 yrs the Arena as tennants is the only viable option within the town short term. We need to work something out with Mowden or else we have a whip round for £5 million or so to build a new stadium that has the relevant grading

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Furthermore, we actually have 3 more seasons that we can play at HP.

How is that then?

Evostik 1
Evostik Prem.

HP isn't BSN graded.

Yes we may be given grace to upgrade the ground to BSN level, gaining us a 3rd season, but then that does require a commitment from us to do that work. Hardly going to do that work and then walk away are we? Do that and we might as well stay there 10 years and watch the club go down the tubes.

So no, we don't have 3 seasons - we have two seasons OR two seasons + do the work and stay there many seasons. Fuck that.
Yes we do have 3 seasons at HP.

For promotion to BSN you need to have grade B by 31st March of the following season.

This is from the FA handbook.

"To be considered for promotion to Step 2 clubs must meet the requirements of Grade C and
attain Grade B by 31st March in the year following promotion."

As for your comments on ground sharing, I hope you are right.

Rule 5.6 doesn't give any info on what would or wouldn't be accepted.

Fair enough if I'm wrong.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Yes we do have 3 seasons at HP.

For promotion to BSN you need to have grade B by 31st March of the following season.

"To be considered for promotion to Step 2 clubs must meet the requirements of Grade C and

That is quite interesting...so we could go up into BSN so long as we what show we have plans to upgrade by 31st March and if we don't get it done then we get relegated regardless of finish?

Hummm obviously ideally we will have something sorted by that point, but, if we don't that could give us well a begging (rather than a bargaining!) position with MPRFC.

When you get into the pits of desperation you never know who starts trying to influence the parties involved. Unless there is a really good reason why we can't play at the arena it would be down right rotten for them not to let us if we were potentially relegated due to ground grading!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Yes we do have 3 seasons at HP.

That is quite interesting...so we could go up into BSN so long as we what show we have plans to upgrade by 31st March and if we don't get it done then we get relegated regardless of finish?

Hummm obviously ideally we will have something sorted by that point, but, if we don't that could give us well a begging (rather than a bargaining!) position with MPRFC.

When you get into the pits of desperation you never know who starts trying to influence the parties involved. Unless there is a really good reason why we can't play at the arena it would be down right rotten for them not to let us if we were potentially relegated due to ground grading!

It's how it reads to me.

But like I say, if I've got it wrong, then fair enough I apologise.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:

How is that then?

Evostik 1
Evostik Prem.

HP isn't BSN graded.

Yes we do have 3 seasons at HP.

Yes I know all that, but did you not even read what I said?

Its all well and good saying we have 3 years citing that rule, BUT it also means that to get the 3rd year, we HAVE to commit to upgrading HP. In other words, after 2 years, if we got promoted from the Evostik Premier, then we would only be allowed into the BSN with that commitment. So, it's a 3rd year with major strings. Or in other words, not really a 3rd year in the terms that you're trying to present it.

jarramel

Post by jarramel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I see it the same way as Fibonacci and something we may have to accept in the long run. Say it cost 100k to upgrade Bishop but we could get a grant for half, then we may well have to accept its the only option. I can see us going up his year but maybe money going into stadium instead of squad could hold us back in Evo Prem for a year or so.
Might be wrong but i don't think we would be elegible for a grant for HP, with us being tenents i would think it would be up to the landlords to apply.
As i say i may be incorrect it's just that i feel landlords are usually responsible for repairs/modernisation.
Unless it is temporary of course which would render any grant null and void.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:34 pm

jarramel wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:I see it the same way as Fibonacci and something we may have to accept in the long run. Say it cost 100k to upgrade Bishop but we could get a grant for half, then we may well have to accept its the only option. I can see us going up his year but maybe money going into stadium instead of squad could hold us back in Evo Prem for a year or so.
Might be wrong but i don't think we would be elegible for a grant for HP, with us being tenents i would think it would be up to the landlords to apply.
As i say i may be incorrect it's just that i feel landlords are usually responsible for repairs/modernisation.
Unless it is temporary of course which would render any grant null and void.
Yep would have to go through in Bishop's name, but basically as it's mainly for us we may well have to financially back the programme of upgrade.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Hard to believe there's yet another thread on this when the situations remains the same. The best outcome is for us to have our own ground and we need to stick together in trying to make this happen. The Arena is a contingency plan but that's it. If we ever get to the stage where we are playing there without having at least having started to build a new ground we are most likely stuck forever.

If, after a year or so the new ground is impossible then we need to reevaluate and maybe go cap in hand to DMP but that will never be as good a long term solution.

No, I don't think it will be easy and no, I don't know how long it will take but rolling over now and whimping back for the easy option would be pretty pathetic.

I think the board are spot on with the way they are going about this. Great strides in the community, creating some pride and by all accounts having positive dialogue with the council.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 pm

m62exile wrote:Hard to believe there's yet another thread on this when the situations remains the same. The best outcome is for us to have our own ground and we need to stick together in trying to make this happen. The Arena is a contingency plan but that's it. If we ever get to the stage where we are playing there without having at least having started to build a new ground we are most likely stuck forever.

If, after a year or so the new ground is impossible then we need to reevaluate and maybe go cap in hand to DMP but that will never be as good a long term solution.

No, I don't think it will be easy and no, I don't know how long it will take but rolling over now and whimping back for the easy option would be pretty pathetic.

I think the board are spot on with the way they are going about this. Great strides in the community, creating some pride and by all accounts having positive dialogue with the council.
I don't think it's as pathetic as going cap in hand to a pub league team to play at their ground miles from Darlo. Beggars can't be choosers, after what we've been through if the price is right at the Arena until we can properly finance a more suitable ground who gives a stuff about the "atmosphere"?. In fact if the price is right I'd go back for good.

Darlo_Manc

Post by Darlo_Manc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Finding a way to have our own ground is the key, spending money on Bishop's ground just seems a waste really as the aim is to get back into Darlo. I hate the Arena and dont want us to move there unless its a temporary measure whilst a new ground is built.

The decision on our ground is a huge long term issue, if we spend money at HP then we are basically committing to spending 20+ years there realistically.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 am

The point is .... We need to have plans in place for a NEW Darlo community 4000 stadium that will allow us to play at BSN level in 2015-2016. Failure to win the required promotions aside, the only stumbling block in my eyes, is the timing, hence thoughts about an HP upgrade to tie us over til it's completed (we aren't talking millions here). DMP's Arena could also tie us over but from what I heard (reliably), they want nowt to do with us. This is a blind alley that am certain the CIC hierarchy are aware of. MPRFC feel the same about us as the cricket club did/do ....

The upgrade of HP is a logistical means to an ends if the timing of the completion of the new ground doesn't meet regulations for BSN legitimate membership. Looking into it now, does not mean that it would replace plans for a new ground in Darlo. It would be interesting to know however, what is required and what the cost of any upgrade might be.