Young
Barry
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Crouch/Sturridge

I think that would be my lot, although I've only done it quickly. Walcott/Chamberlain give us the option to use one of them as an alternative striker while Rooney is suspended, Carroll has come in to a bit of form recently.

I've assumed Parker is unavailable, otherwise I'd take him. I think with Parker and Wilshere both out, Hodgson should move heaven and earth to get Scholes along to bring some class to the centre of the park, someone who can dictate games.

The other "biggie" is what to do with Terry/Ferdinand. I've always preferred Rio, and his fitness is a worry, but I think Terry proved at the last World Cup that he is just too much of a disruptive influence when he doesn't get things his way. He's not the player he once was, but we need the experience of one or the other of them in the squad to help the likes of Cahill along I think. Jones will benefit greatly from going along, and is also versatile enough to fill in a number of positions which is helpful in a tournament situation.

Beyond Joe Hart, goalkeepers are much of a muchness - I lose track of which ones haven't "retired" to be honest.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England squad - who would you take?

Post by Big Tim » Tue May 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Keepers:

Hart
Foster
Ruddy

Defenders:

Richards
Walker
Terry
Cahill
Ferdinand
Baines
Cole
Lescott

Midfield:

Young
A.Johnson
Walcott
Lampard
Gerrard
Parker
Scholes
Milner

Strikers:

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Carroll

1st match

Hart

Walker
Terry
Cahill
Cole

Parker
Gerrard

Walcott
Lampard
Young

Carroll

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Foster is definitely unavailable for selection by the way - he's said Hodgson getting the job doesn't change this.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue May 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Surely Hodgson will take Stockdale after managing him at Fulham :) I hope this is the case anyway!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Not really arsed who goes as we will be home before the postcards anyway
Hopefully Theo overated and utterly shite Walcott wont make it tho :D

Oh and Rio Ferdinand hadnt been anywhere near an England Squad in years until all this bullshit John Terry witchhunt started so Rio shouldnt be going either too old too slow & too crap :clap:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Ferdinand has had a pretty decent season after a dodgy start. His form is certainly better than Terry's at the moment. There would be a question mark over his ability to play several (3?) games in a short space of time, but his experience in the squad might counter-balance that.

As for Walcott, who else is there? Lennon maybe? They both blow hot and cold, but I think Walcott has a little more about him and gives another option up front with Rooney suspended.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Spyman wrote:23 places, who would you select?

GK
Hart
Stockdale
Carson

Defenders
Walker
Richards
Cole
Baines
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott

Midfielders
Walcott
Johnson
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Young
Barry
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Crouch/Sturridge
You'd pick Lescott ahead of Terry? No fucking way.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 3:25 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:

GK
Hart
Stockdale
Carson

Defenders
Walker
Richards
Cole
Baines
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott

Midfielders
Walcott
Johnson
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Young
Barry
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Crouch/Sturridge
Not on ability, no. But on his influence on the squad as a whole? Yes. Same goes for Cahill.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Spyman wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:

GK
Hart
Stockdale
Carson

Defenders
Walker
Richards
Cole
Baines
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott

Midfielders
Walcott
Johnson
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Young
Barry
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Crouch/Sturridge
Not on ability, no. But on his influence on the squad as a whole? Yes. Same goes for Cahill.
Fair enough. I'd still have to disagree with you though. I wouldn't feel too confident in the knock-out stages against one of the better teams with Lescott at the back (if we got an injury or two).

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I know what you mean, but then again Lescott has played a key role in the team that won the Premiership. Granted, he was alongside Kompany, and granted, he was nearly at fault for them losing on Sunday, but he deserves some credit for his season.

I wouldn't feel particularly confident against one of the better teams with Terry in the team either though - in fact I think central defence is looking like quite a weak spot for England at the moment. Hopefully Phil Jones really comes of age next season (or even at the Euros if he gets the chance).

DC

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

GK
Hart
Stockdale
Carson

Defenders
Walker
Richards
Cole
Baines
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott

Midfielders
Walcott
Johnson
Gerrard
Lampard
Scholes
Young
Barry
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Crouch/Sturridge

I think that would be my lot, although I've only done it quickly. Walcott/Chamberlain give us the option to use one of them as an alternative striker while Rooney is suspended, Carroll has come in to a bit of form recently.

I've assumed Parker is unavailable, otherwise I'd take him. I think with Parker and Wilshere both out, Hodgson should move heaven and earth to get Scholes along to bring some class to the centre of the park, someone who can dictate games.

The other "biggie" is what to do with Terry/Ferdinand. I've always preferred Rio, and his fitness is a worry, but I think Terry proved at the last World Cup that he is just too much of a disruptive influence when he doesn't get things his way. He's not the player he once was, but we need the experience of one or the other of them in the squad to help the likes of Cahill along I think. Jones will benefit greatly from going along, and is also versatile enough to fill in a number of positions which is helpful in a tournament situation.

Beyond Joe Hart, goalkeepers are much of a muchness - I lose track of which ones haven't "retired" to be honest.
I agree almost wholly with that except for Barry. I just don't rate him at all i would take Milner ahead of him. I quite like Milner in a central role, real workhorse and has a touch of technical ability

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

I'd take Carrick over Barry AND Milner. Carrick is totally underrated.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:I'd take Carrick over Barry AND Milner. Carrick is totally underrated.
Carrick's a good shout actually - you don't play that many games for Man Utd without having quality.

My ideal starting line-up would be something like:

Hart

Walker
Ferdinand
Cahill
Cole

Parker (Barry, or as suggested, Carrick, if Parker isn't fit)
Scholes

Rooney (Walcott in his absence)
Gerrard
Young

Wellbeck or Carroll, depending on the opposition.

I'd have Rooney, Gerrard and Young playing very fluidly, and include Wellbeck in that if he started.

DC

Brodie_Mill

Post by Brodie_Mill » Tue May 15, 2012 4:29 pm

GKs:

Hart
Carson
Stockdale

Defs:

Walker
Richards
Jones
Ferdinand
Cahill
Lescott
Baines
Cole

Mids:
Walcott
Milner
Gerrard
Parker (if fit)
Carrick
Scholes
Young
Ox

Forws:

Rooney
Welbeck
Carroll
Defoe

Team:
4-2-3-1
Hart
Walker
Ferdinand
Cahill
Cole

Carrick
Parker

Milner
Gerrard
Young

Welbeck

Focus on hard-work and fluidity in the team and then options from the bench. If Parker can't go then I'd have Phil Jones in midfield.
Twitter: @BrodieMill91

Brodie_Mill

Post by Brodie_Mill » Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Then Rooney comes back in for Welbeck or Young. Scholes would be a great option from bench IMO.
Twitter: @BrodieMill91

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Hmm tough one: Lennon or Oxlade-Chamberlain. Oxlade-Chamberlain has raw ability and the potential to become a much better overall player than Lennon, but he is still raw and not fully developed. Lennon on the other hand is a bit hit and miss but when on-form he scares the s*** out of defenders.

I can't decide.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:Hmm tough one: Lennon or Oxlade-Chamberlain. Oxlade-Chamberlain has raw ability and the potential to become a much better overall player than Lennon, but he is still raw and not fully developed. Lennon on the other hand is a bit hit and miss but when on-form he scares the s*** out of defenders.

I can't decide.
I'm of the attitude that this is a team in transition, and we need a good mix of youth and experience. I hope Oxlade-Chamberlain, in 2 years time, will be a big player for England and will fill the void on the right side that has been there since Beckham. I'd take him for experience and a bit part.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

DC

DTID

Post by DTID » Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Controversial as well I know but I'd take Rickie Lambert. Imagine Lambert in a decent England side?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Lambert would be a bold pick.....but it would be a right one.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Lambert would be a bold pick.....but it would be a right one.
No it wouldn't. We have a fair few better options than a player who hasn't been tested for even a season at the highest level.

In the same kind of vein I also think that taking Grant Holt would be a waste of a space.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

DTID

Post by DTID » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Darlo_H wrote:
walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Lambert would be a bold pick.....but it would be a right one.
No it wouldn't. We have a fair few better options than a player who hasn't been tested for even a season at the highest level.

In the same kind of vein I also think that taking Grant Holt would be a waste of a space.
Who are the "fair few" you speak of? I'd have Lambert over the likes of Carroll, Sturridge & Welbeck.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm

DTID wrote:
Darlo_H wrote:

Who are the "fair few" you speak of? I'd have Lambert over the likes of Carroll, Sturridge & Welbeck.

Based on what? Goals in the Championship?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

DC

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Exactly

Ricky fucking Lambert, some of the people on here :lol:

What about Darren Bent would you take a chance on his fitness or is that too much of a risk with Rooney missing for 2 games ?

P.S

I agree with most of your squad, I would take Terry myself as he & Cahill have at least played together, Lescott I am 50/50 prefer Jagiellka myself.

Scholes again that is a 50 / 50 Scholesy is probaly my favourite English player of the PL era but is he really what we need in a tournament , I suppose the response is yes as he can pass a ball but I just don't think he will want to play.

I like Milner he can cover a few positions, has a good engine and can beat a man and get a ball in so I would find room for him.

I haven't a clue re the 1st 11 or what shape will we play, @ WBA & Fulham RH tended to play 4411 ( which will suit Rooney) but I think 4231 tends to be the only system that allows Lamps & Gerrard to play in the same team and function, and no matter what people think we haven't got enough good players to think about not picking them both.

More questions than answers to be honest

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 pm

GK
Hart
Ruddy
Stockdale

Defenders
Walker
Richards
Cole
Baines
Jones
Smalling
Cahill
Jagielka

Midfielders
Walcott
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Young
Johnson
Gerrard
Lampard
Milner

Forwards
Rooney
Welbeck
Sturridge
Carroll
Zamora

I think Ruddy over Carson/Foster particularly based on this season

If Kyle Walker is injured then Glen Johnson will have to slot in...I would go with Richards predominantly as a CB though and play him alongside Phil Jagielka.

Ferdinand can't hack the number of games & John Terry is a liability he causes so much unrest amongst the team. His antics in the Barcelona game were just confirmation that he is a thug - he is completely off the boil in his performances on the pitch looks shockingly slow and error prone all this season.

It's a huge risk...but I would be tempted to really mix it up. Go with a midfield 5 of walcott, gerrard, phil jones, rooney, oxlade-chamberlain then go with Andy Carroll up top on his own.

Arsenal were absolutely sparkling when they had chamberlain/walcott buzzing around van Persie. Rooney always has too much pressure on him to score goals when he plays for England and ends up falling back and playing in a link-up midfield role by the end of the game anyway.

With Phil Jones & Rooney being adept to playing in midfield I wouldn't bother with Gareth Barry, would rather take Bobby Zamora just in case Carroll picks up an injury, I know Crouch would get other peoples shouts as a target man but personally I think Zamora holds onto the ball better than Crouch does.

Starting XI

Hart

Walker, Richards, Jagielka, A. Cole

Walcott, Gerrard, P. Jones, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Carroll

Never tried/tested but what we have been doing hasn't worked, hasn't inspired...mix it up and see what happens.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Smalling is out injured.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:Exactly

Ricky fucking Lambert, some of the people on here :lol:

What about Darren Bent would you take a chance on his fitness or is that too much of a risk with Rooney missing for 2 games ?

P.S

I agree with most of your squad, I would take Terry myself as he & Cahill have at least played together, Lescott I am 50/50 prefer Jagiellka myself.

Scholes again that is a 50 / 50 Scholesy is probaly my favourite English player of the PL era but is he really what we need in a tournament , I suppose the response is yes as he can pass a ball but I just don't think he will want to play.

I like Milner he can cover a few positions, has a good engine and can beat a man and get a ball in so I would find room for him.

I haven't a clue re the 1st 11 or what shape will we play, @ WBA & Fulham RH tended to play 4411 ( which will suit Rooney) but I think 4231 tends to be the only system that allows Lamps & Gerrard to play in the same team and function, and no matter what people think we haven't got enough good players to think about not picking them both.

More questions than answers to be honest
You've hit the nail on the head with Bent - worth the risk if we had enough other options, but if we take him we risk 2006 all over again, when we started with Rooney unfit, Walcott completely unready, and just Crouch and Owen, who then got injured.

But honestly, if we're going to take Ricky Lambert, why not call for David fucking Nugent? Maybe Lambert will prove himself next season, but to take someone who has never come up against a top quality defender to a major International competition is absolute madness.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Ferdinand and Walker both out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18081125

So that would pave the way for Terry and Glenn Johnson in my squad.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 pm

another one...

Glen Johnson & Dawson (instead of Smalling) in mine.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:another one...

Glen Johnson & Dawson (instead of Smalling) in mine.
Dawson is also injured.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 pm

...are you serious!?

Lescott is just too slow, Terry is just a liability, Smalling/Ferdinand/Dawson all out, can we just take Ledley King and keep him on the sidelines for the final if we ever make it.

Play Jagielka & Richards in the rest of the tournament.