S&S make offer to club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AIDO
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: S&S make offer to club

Post by AIDO » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

.... so eloquently put ... even I understand that and am intrigued ...

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm

divas wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:i have read every word. Here is the key paragraph:

Relaxing the covenants might enable the pair to sell or re-develop the stadium. A share of the proceeds would go to the council, and could finance a more viable stadium for the Quakers

So chuck in your cash now, let us sell the land and make a priofit (what kind of share are they looking at for the council?) and let the council sort you out a new home. Now who do you trust most..................
The plan is a little more intricate than this and will safeguard all parties interest before anything is sold, however the trust would need to match S&S's short term gamble purely because of the lack of time
IF (A big IF) a deal can be done to ensure this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ happens and without the 50K from the trust the deal fails then they must put the money in. However, the deal has to be cast iron, water tight, boiler plated, 100% certain to get everyone what they want.

Otherwise it is a no go. We cant have the trust risk the money we need to start a new club.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm

m62exile wrote:Guys, I know its a long time ago but this is basically the speculation we had the other day (Weds) on the "out of the box idea" thread, albeit without the council putting in short term liquidity (to be fair to Divas, he said this wouldn't happen)
Or the article I wrote a couple of months back ;)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Beano wrote:As a 'dim fucker' I actually did misread that article.

That does sound very promising indeed. Very promising.

However, what happens when short term finance runs out and cannot be found, or the respective parties cannot agree a deal?
Then we'd be fucked - and that's why it is a gamble.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
divas wrote:

Relaxing the covenants might enable the pair to sell or re-develop the stadium. A share of the proceeds would go to the council, and could finance a more viable stadium for the Quakers

So chuck in your cash now, let us sell the land and make a priofit (what kind of share are they looking at for the council?) and let the council sort you out a new home. Now who do you trust most..................
The plan is a little more intricate than this and will safeguard all parties interest before anything is sold, however the trust would need to match S&S's short term gamble purely because of the lack of time
IF (A big IF) a deal can be done to ensure this^^^^^^^^^^^^^ happens and without the 50K from the trust the deal fails then they must put the money in. However, the deal has to be cast iron, water tight, boiler plated, 100% certain to get everyone what they want.

Otherwise it is a no go. We cant have the trust risk the money we need to start a new club.
Unfortunately there is not time to get a cast iron guarantee on everything before the trust has to put the £50K in. With the best will it will be a calculated gamble that S&S will match.

If no money is forthcoming the club will fold in the next week.

carver30

Post by carver30 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Why on earth would DBC now relax the covenants its the fact they have not budged for 18 months thats surely stopped Raj offering S&S. If they do its just sheer hypocrisy.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:48 pm

m62exile wrote:This deal, if it can be brought about, is a damn sight better than pissing about in the Wearside League on the bones of our arse scrabbling about for favours for a ground to play in.

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:49 pm

carver30 wrote:Why on earth would DBC now relax the covenants its the fact they have not budged for 18 months thats surely stopped Raj offering S&S. If they do its just sheer hypocrisy.

For the same reason Reynolds got to build such a big stadium .... they realise that there is substantial support for the club.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm

MKDarlo wrote:
divas wrote:

And we can't have the council making the right noises like today then doing nothing about it - something Raj accused them of on many occasions.

I'm not worried whether S & S will stick to their part of the bargain. I think they will. I don't think they want to make a profit - I think they just want to be able to get their money back, run off into the sunset and forget that they ever lent a dodgepot 4th division club 2 million quid.

I'm more worried about the council, beaurocrats and red tape.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm

divas wrote:
m62exile wrote:Guys, I know its a long time ago but this is basically the speculation we had the other day (Weds) on the "out of the box idea" thread, albeit without the council putting in short term liquidity (to be fair to Divas, he said this wouldn't happen)

Of course, apologies!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Bearing in mind this is the exact deal that Raj has been supposedly trying to do for the last 18 months what do you think his feelings will be if it does get the green light? The question posed of whether he'll write off the loans in that situation is very pertinent.

This will take a huge number of factors to come together

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

carver30 wrote:Why on earth would DBC now relax the covenants its the fact they have not budged for 18 months thats surely stopped Raj offering S&S. If they do its just sheer hypocrisy.
Raj was trying to get the stadium on the cheap to be fair.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

m62exile wrote:
divas wrote:

Of course, apologies!
Just pulling your leg mate

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm not sure that the council will automatically go along with this S and S suggestion that they use money from the deal to build a "community stadium". They accepted a knockdown price for the Arena land with the proviso that they get their full whack back should it go for other forms of development. That full whack is so that the council taxpayers are not short changed.

There's no stipulation that this money then has to go for community sport purposes and there'd probably be many who would be opposed to the idea that it should be used for a new stadium. In fact, many would no doubt say that this cash should go towards propping up hard-pressed essential council services at a time of massive cutbacks rather than sport and leisure. I don't think community sport is much of a priority at the moment.

There are a lot of ifs and buts before this S and S masterplan could come to fruition.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Quakerz wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:
divas wrote:

And we can't have the council making the right noises like today then doing nothing about it - something Raj accused them of on many occasions.

I'm not worried whether S & S will stick to their part of the bargain. I think they will. I don't think they want to make a profit - I think they just want to be able to get their money back, run off into the sunset and forget that they ever lent a dodgepot 4th division club 2 million quid.

You're right Quakerz. This offers a chance for S&S to get out, and DBC to get egg of their faces. It offers the best outcome for everybody and certainly the best outcome for DFC. By a mile.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm

darlotoon wrote:

For the same reason Reynolds got to build such a big stadium .... they realise that there is substantial support for the club.
I reckon they thought Raj was bluffing about pulling out. Now they have to act positively otherwise theyll be a laughing stock. It will be like the pedestrian heart / crackpot roundabouts but alot worse!!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not sure that the council will automatically go along with this S and S suggestion that they use money from the deal to build a "community stadium". They accepted a knockdown price for the Arena land with the proviso that they get their full whack back should it go for other forms of development. That full whack is so that the council taxpayers are not short changed.

There's no stipulation that this money then has to go for community sport purposes and there'd probably be many who would be opposed to the idea that it should be used for a new stadium. In fact, many would no doubt say that this cash should go towards propping up hard-pressed essential council services at a time of massive cutbacks rather than sport and leisure. I don't think community sport is much of a priority at the moment.

There are a lot of ifs and buts before this S and S masterplan could come to fruition.
But if DBC don't deal they get diddly squat back, remember? Nobody gets anything.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 pm

That money. Was raised by the fans ( us ) to safeguard D.F.C.

It must be used for this purpose. And re the Phoenix club idea. I know some people like it but I think it's not as romantic as some would wish it to be. See M62's post above.

People will fall away. Like they did when we got got relegated. A lot of fans come from out of town. They get drawn into Darlo because of the size of the club BUT if you want to watch real hard core non league, go to Bishop/Durham/Northallerton.

Darlo, this club, must be saved.

If this is a small chance, then let's do it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm

I think a lot of people thought Raj was bluffing.

He waited right until the last minute to get us out of admin when he came in. If he'd done it a bit quicker the team would have been better and we might have survived etc etc..............................................................
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Different deal though. Raj's had him having to put £2.5m up before he could even start which was a significant handicap. Also, there was nothing in it for the council - just for Raj/DFC.

This deal actually has an upside for DBC, especially if S&S are going to hand any additional revenue to DBC anyway. Completely different.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Quakerz wrote:
MKDarlo wrote:
divas wrote:

I agree - all parties must come to the table with clean hands and behave in an honourable and realistic fashion during any negotiations .

As for S&S i see it as only natural they would want thier money back (ASAP!) and to turn a profit. They wouldnt be succesful businessment if they didnt! I cant blame them for that either!

It puts the ball in the court of the trust and the council and absolves S&S of any blame if it doesnt work. Clever, very clever

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:That money. Was raised by the fans ( us ) to safeguard D.F.C.

It must be used for this purpose. And re the Phoenix club idea. I know some people like it but I think it's not as romantic as some would wish it to be. See M62's post above.

People will fall away. Like they did when we got got relegated. A lot of fans come from out of town. They get drawn into Darlo because of the size of the club BUT if you want to watch real hard core non league, go to Bishop/Durham/Northallerton.

S&S have pulled a nice little stunt in that they can now blame the Trust for the death of Darlington FC, and people seem to be buying into it. £50,000 won't keep us going for more than a month, and we still need a buyer because the rescue group have bugger all money and substantial debts to pay now that we are in administration. This is an attempt by S&S to paint themselves as the good guys and the Trust as the bad guys. The trust should not pour good money into a business that is not viable.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm not sure that the council will automatically go along with this S and S suggestion that they use money from the deal to build a "community stadium". They accepted a knockdown price for the Arena land with the proviso that they get their full whack back should it go for other forms of development. That full whack is so that the council taxpayers are not short changed.

Like I said earlier there are some more intricacies to this deal that will come out as and when but ALL parties stand to benefit from the proposal, even the council/taxpayer

carver30

Post by carver30 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:That money. Was raised by the fans ( us ) to safeguard D.F.C.

Have to agree as much as I loathe S&S and would hate to see them profit out of this, if the club survives but is owned by various bodies/fans and we can create a community club again then albeit, I just find the council totally hypocritical if they now change the covenants and you cant help feel sorry for Raj if they do.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:03 pm

What it would come down to is whether the council thought there was some sort of moral obligation on them to use money from the land deal to build a stadium for a football club and general community use. It is S and S who are saying that's what they could do. And that's assuming a lot.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm

mobi wrote:

S&S have pulled a nice little stunt in that they can now blame the Trust for the death of Darlington FC, and people seem to be buying into it. £50,000 won't keep us going for more than a month, and we still need a buyer because the rescue group have bugger all money and substantial debts to pay now that we are in administration. This is an attempt by S&S to paint themselves as the good guys and the Trust as the bad guys. The trust should not pour good money into a business that is not viable.
S&S have no need to be painted as the good guys,what they do have a need for is the money that they loaned to the club. This is the only way, in the short to mid term that they have of receiving this.

Now this next bit I have no knowledge of, but it's just a hunch that if signs are positive of something happening then a bit extra money may be found to keep the club going until the end of the season

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

divas wrote:Now this next bit I have no knowledge of, but it's just a hunch that if signs are positive of something happening then a bit extra money may be found to keep the club going until the end of the season
I would think S&S are of the view that if they put a bit up front then it will get them all their money back sooner rather than later. What they will want to see is others making a commitment to doing similar.

mobi

Post by mobi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:09 pm

divas wrote:
mobi wrote:

S&S have no need to be painted as the good guys,what they do have a need for is the money that they loaned to the club. This is the only way, in the short to mid term that they have of receiving this.

Now this next bit I have no knowledge of, but it's just a hunch that if signs are positive of something happening then a bit extra money may be found to keep the club going until the end of the season
So we die at the end of the season and the Trust lose their money? £50,000 will be gone just to pay the fuel bills.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 pm

mobi wrote:
divas wrote:
mobi wrote:

So we die at the end of the season and the Trust lose their money? £50,000 will be gone just to pay the fuel bills.
Mobi - not a loaded question, please don't take it the wrong way..what is your hope for DFC? Are you hoping for a phoenix club restart using the £50k?

Not trying to be confrontational, but the only options as I see them are this one or liquidation by Friday.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Who would buy the land......Tesco?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman