Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Threads covering important moments in Darlo's past, be they big games, big days or big events.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

solentfish71
Team Supported: Fisher

Re: Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Post by solentfish71 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 am

Fisher FC fan here. Magnificent OP. Just been reading in the NLP about the brilliant support you all showed at Barrow yesterday, well done all of you, you are fantastic supporters and deserve much better than you've been put through.

We've been through it and come out of the other side, Fisher Athletic went bust 3 years ago after our sugar daddy didn't pay bills to those nice people at HM Revenue & Customs. We formed the Supporters' Trust-owned Fisher FC straight away, and are alive and well and enjoying life as the owners of our proud community club.

First and foremost I hope a buyer is found to keep you alive in the Conference, but if not, I wish your magnificent fans every success in creating a new Darlington club for 2012-13. If that happens take my advice and go for Supporters' Trust ownership, every member holding exactly one share. Hope the Skilltrainingltd Northern League - a proud league rich in history with some great friendly clubs - let you in!

All the best Darlo, many more seasons - happier ones - to you all.

polam lane
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by polam lane » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 am

solentfish71 wrote:Fisher FC fan here. Magnificent OP. Just been reading in the NLP about the brilliant support you all showed at Barrow yesterday, well done all of you, you are fantastic supporters and deserve much better than you've been put through.

We've been through it and come out of the other side, Fisher Athletic went bust 3 years ago after our sugar daddy didn't pay bills to those nice people at HM Revenue & Customs. We formed the Supporters' Trust-owned Fisher FC straight away, and are alive and well and enjoying life as the owners of our proud community club.

First and foremost I hope a buyer is found to keep you alive in the Conference, but if not, I wish your magnificent fans every success in creating a new Darlington club for 2012-13. If that happens take my advice and go for Supporters' Trust ownership, every member holding exactly one share. Hope the Skilltrainingltd Northern League - a proud league rich in history with some great friendly clubs - let you in!

All the best Darlo, many more seasons - happier ones - to you all.
I remember seeing Darlington at Fisher in the 1989-90 season when Millwall fans took over the show. I think Mike Bailey was your manager at the time!

Rumours were rife at the time that the clubs funding came from drug barons! You survived for years in the Conference on gates of 150. Happy days!

geoffpayne
Team Supported: Barrow

Post by geoffpayne » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Barrow supporter living in southern California and I hope you are able to get thru

this difficult period. I thought your support at Barrow was fantastic and it is just one indicator of

how much your supporters care about your club.

Barrow went thru a similar difficult time 12/13 years ago with an infamous owner , so I can

totally empathize with all supporters.

Once again , it's never over ..........................

old & red
Team Supported: forest

Post by old & red » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:10 am

I don't think I've shed a tear in thirty years or more (tough old sod me!) but that had me reaching for the kleenex.
I can't remember the last time I read something so obviously written from the heart .
I have fond memories of visiting your old ground for a cup match some years ago, which ended in a draw. You then came to the City Ground and won against the odds with a wonder goal.
I sincerely hope Darlo survive and then thrive.
Best wishes to you all.

A Nottingham Forest supporter.

Scott_Fulton
Team Supported: Crawley Town

Post by Scott_Fulton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Smashing OP there, Crawley Town supporter here, pleasure to play you twice last season.

Thoughts will be with the team and all the fans for all the remaining fixtures.

Scott.

Rufc123
Team Supported: Rotherham

Post by Rufc123 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Awsome.

Big Red fox
Team Supported: Carlisle utd

Post by Big Red fox » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Carlisle fan here,
Always loved playing Darlo, sorry to see you in this position, but when someone posts like this there is no doubt your fans will see you through no matter what comes in the next few days. We have been nearly there with Knighton and I blame Reynolds for your position now, but you will get through this if you remain strong.
WHAT A POST :thumbup:

JerseyDarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by JerseyDarlo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 pm

I opened this at work and had to stop and read it tonight because like a big soppy git I was welling up.

Keep believing... I just donated and i hope people from Darlo and the other good football people who see this do too even if its only a couple of quid. I live in Jersey and have only been to Darlington once. (Although to Wembley with them twice :-)) I follow Darlo because my mum as a kid attended home games with her dad (my grandadand who had also gone for years) and i want my kids to be able to know the 'joys' of being a darlo fan too. That tin shed has a hell of a lot of great people in and so from one football fan to another please just do a little to help save a great club.

Its great to have all the support and the comments and the sheer volume of people viewing this thread but only one thing will keep the club going and thats cash. Best of luck to everyones nerves and having sat through the other two times i have to say that this is the worst by far but also the most positive response. When your backs are against the wall you suddenly stop being a miserable bunch and show some proper Darlo heart. Keep believing and help however you can. If we can keep Darlo ticking over then I really believe we can keep Darlo alive.

If everyone who reads this post gives a quid and shares the link with a few footy mates then we can do it!

Fleet Supporter
Team Supported: Ebbsfleet United

Post by Fleet Supporter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Amazing post.

Never visited Darligton in my life and probably never will however my sincere best wishes go all supporters and players of Darlington Football Club from an Ebbsfleet United supporter.

My fingers are crossed that in someway Darlington FC are able to come through this mess and are able to prosper and look forward to the future.

There for the grace of god.

ktfcfan
Team Supported: Kettering

Post by ktfcfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

it's so sad to see such a well known loved club in crisis, the one good thing about this happening is it unites everyone together you fans, and others from the league, wish your club all the best(of what time it may or may not have left) Clubs like darlington and Kettering are what football is all about, proper supporters that care about their club..

EnglishRed
Team Supported: Wrexham

Post by EnglishRed » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Wrexham fan here, I signed up to your board as I wanted to say how sad I have been to read about your plight, to wish you luck in your fight and just to say keep fighting until the bitter end. It is YOUR club and it isn't over till its over.

Whatever happens (and I really hope you can get out of the current situation) the whole family of football fans are behind you. Darlo are a proper football team and a proper football town. I was very impressed when you came to the Racecourse on the 30th November- looked like you had some really promising young players particularly,and in fact we were extremely lucky to win! and I sincerely hope that I get a chance to watch you play us in seasons to come.

Keep the faith.

And to get a bit fruity: "Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

PompeyPaul
Team Supported: Portsmouth

Post by PompeyPaul » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi All,

Having heard of your situation I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck whatever happens... Remember it's the fans who make a club and if you all pull together I'm sure Darlington will rise again!

I'm a Portsmouth fan so I know exactly how it feels when a club you've done nothing but support is nearly taken away from you and all the other loyal fans through no fault of your own, to hear of any football club going out of existence is truly a sad day for football as a whole.

I'll be donating to your fund and I'll do my best to spread the word about it! I just hope it's not too late to help

I'm sure I speak for all Pompey fans, and indeed all football fans when I say Come on Darlo!

Paul
Portsmouth

WHJ
Team Supported: West Ham

Post by WHJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I feel total sympathy for all you Darlo supporters. As a West Ham season ticket holder I know what its like to be shafted by club owners who are only interested in lining their own pockets and working hard at being self-important, and in some cases using the club to launder their ill gotten gains!.

I know most genuine football fans will hope you survive this situation. We do not need football clubs (even Millwank) going out of existance at any level, let alone the grass roots clubs which are the foundation on which the so called big clubs survive.

If the worst happens, don't despair too much. Look at what AFC Wimbledon have managed to do.

The club is the supporters, owners come and owners go but supporters, in the main, don't have a choice, they're born into it. It's especially true of supporters of clubs like yours. It's easy to support the Man Utds, Man Citys, Arsenals and Chelskis of this world who are pretty much guaranteed of silverware every other season or so. They also have true supporters albeit with a fair share of glory hunters and 'johnny come latelys'. It 's not always so easy supporting the other teams and gets harder the lower you go. That's also what makes it so special, because a one off win against the 'giants' can mean a successful season.

If you avoid the worst, you will have had a bigger victory than any other club this season

Good Luck Darlo.

priv
Team Supported: torquay

Post by priv » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:53 pm

hi, i'm a torquay fan but like all the other rival fans hope you survive, for such a rich popular sport its hard to comprehend how so many clubs are in trouble, our friends down the road at argyle have only just escaped doom and are now trying to survive football wise.

I can only echo other people good luck darlo

mobileseagull
Team Supported: Brighton

Post by mobileseagull » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 am

I grew up in Newport, followed Newport County as a very young lad. In later years, went to Brighton for uni and since then have followed BHA (keeping an eye on my boyhood team).

I've seen two teams close and dear to my heart get shafted. Its a truly awful experience and I hope that you pull thru these dark, dark days knowing that clubs do survive, that real fans across the world (I live in Vancouve now) and from tons of other clubs are pulling for you and that whatever the outcome, you will bounce back.

Don't ever give up. Don't let anyone tell you it cant be done. Spread the word, keep the faith and remember that fans united will never be defeated.

Brian

will1017
Team Supported: Kilmarnock

Post by will1017 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:41 am

Kilmarnock fan here. Gutted if youse do go bust really wanted to go to the NE Arena looked really good from the train. Hopefully if there is a new team youse play there.

alexandralfc
Team Supported: Liverpool

Post by alexandralfc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 am

I'm still screaming at people on Twitter and FB to try and get you lot some more help.

I hope you don't mind. I don't mean to sound like someone who has invaded the forum and gone on a mission! I would genuinely hate to see you go.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks all. We're just a bunch of fans like you - I think we were a bit slow off the mark getting our act together but this thing's hit us like an express train. Hopefully some miracle will happen to save the club in it's present form but we're still actively seeking any help we can get to ensure that, if the worst thing happens, we have what it takes to quickly re-establish ourselves as a community-led club.

If we can do that, and learn from the successes and failures of other teams before us, then your support will go towards ensuring that there is a viable model for other clubs to follow - and spare fans of other clubs some of the heartache if their clubs go under. The current top-heavy nature of the football business is killing off the roots - but maybe we're just part of a much needed "correction" to the current system. At least we have hardly any debts - some clubs are in a far worse financial state that we are, and everyone needs to be looking over their shoulders at what's happening to teams like us.

We'll be back!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

HeartsFC
Team Supported: Hearts

Post by HeartsFC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:47 am

Hello from a Hearts fan.

Great OP. Wish you guys all the best. Hearts future is a bit uncertain at the moment too, so can feel for you guys. Always had a soft spot for the Quakers since playing Soccer Boss (remember that!?) on the Amstrad.

Anyway, the OP made our forum too:
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php ... your-club/

Fingers crossed for you guys :thumbup:

Fuck the Hibs ;)

NYCOWL
Team Supported: Sheffield Wednesday

Post by NYCOWL » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 am

Good luck from a Sheffield Wednesday fan. Whatever happens, you won't die. It's the fans that hold the heartbeat of the club.

Super stag
Team Supported: Mansfield Town

Post by Super stag » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Mansfield fan here.

The original post is fantastic! Gave me goosebumps!

I was there at Wembley in May and was devastated when Chris Senior scored in the last minute. I certainly didn't expect that 7 or 8 months down the line you'd be facing extinction. I really hope that someone comes in at the 11th hour and sorts you out. I would also like to see the black and white take to the Field Mill turf on February 4th and for many seasons to come.

Best of luck to you!

JSterling

Post by JSterling » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:57 pm

What a post! I was directed here from the Liverpool boards after reading the OP's fantastic contribution. I may not be a Darlington supporter, but this post is a poignant reminder of what football means to the people who support it. At the end of the day fighting for your club no matter what the results. That is what being a supporter is all about. I had to come on here and give you my support for your dedication and zeal.
Stay strong Darlington.

JordzLFC

Post by JordzLFC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:03 pm

What a post! I was directed here from the Liverpool boards after reading the OP's fantastic contribution. I may not be a Darlington supporter, but this post is a poignant reminder of what football means to the people who support it. At the end of the day fighting for your club no matter what the results. That is what being a supporter is all about. I had to come on here and give you my support for your dedication and zeal.
Stay strong Darlington.
___

This. It's so tragic to see this happening to any club (maybe not the Mancs...) and I hope that something happens to sort it out. You seem to be a quality club with great fans who'll stick together, so Darlington won't ever die. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about the club, nor have I been to the town, but we were almost placed into Admin last season and even that was tough for us fans, so I can't imagine what you're going through.

Best of luck Darlington :clap: :thumbup:

Valencia
Team Supported: Forest

Post by Valencia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Whatever happens i wish you all good luck for the future, Aldershot showed what can be done when a team goes under. Hope for brighter times on the horizon!!!!!!!!

cazforvale
Team Supported: port vale

Post by cazforvale » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Port Vale fan here who comes in peace just to offer my most sincere sympathies to you all. What a terrible time for such a great established club.

We have massive massive problems at Port Vale. We managed to oust one board but the replacement board are a bunch of .... i'm sure you'll get the idea without me having to type the words. :)

Anyway, back to Darlington. It's such a sad sad day but i'm sure you'll do your best to fight for your club...never give up. Fan power can achieve wonderful things and you're all just gonna have to be strong and do whatever you can. I followed a link on a website that I admin on Onevalefan.co.uk where you'd be most welcome. That OP has just made me cry and i'm not ashamed to say it!

Just keep fighting, never give up and I wish you all the luck in the world.

jim

Post by jim » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Lincoln City fan here. Very sad what has happened to your club. Good luck with all your efforts. Hope you are successful in setting up a new club.

LBNo11
Team Supported: Fulham

Post by LBNo11 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 pm

...Fulham fan here, posted this message in your visitors section too, embarrassed to say that I have only just heard about your clubs' plight, sadly I have seen this scenario too many times in the recent past. Fulham fans have not forgotten our roots, or how fortunate we are to have been saved by a multi-millionaire, there but for Fayed go we.

Over the years Fulham fans have done their best to help Stockport County and York City as they too suffered the ravages of greed. These are difficult times for most normal folk, money is tight but the more the word is spread the better the chance that someone will donate the fiver that may make the difference, be it to save the Darlo we know, or help the AFC Darlo that may come from it.

Also equally embarrassing is the fact that just one premiership footballer on say £25-30K a week (ye gods) could, by donating just weeks wages, make the difference between a whole clubs survival and oblivion. Sadly the chances of a premiership footballer donating his clubs own tracksuit is unlikely as they care for themselves, not for the sport and the fans that put them where they are.

Would one of you fine people register on behalf of your trust on the independent website I help run www.friendsoffulham.com, call yourself Darlo Trust and I will authorise immediate access to our message board so that you can make your pleas.

I cannot vouch for any written or financial response, but you will be treated to respect and understanding - LBNo11

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am

LBNo11 wrote:call yourself Darlo Trust
Ouch! Would be better if you authorised someone under the name of "Darlo Uncovered" because the Darlo Trust have been as much use as a chocolate teapot throughout all of this.

This may come as a shock to most visitors here but I'm not sure THEY (they Trust) have even met with the Administrator, or called any sort of emergency meeting at all, or swung any sort of plan into action to coordinate fund-raising. How about that?

PLEASE READ HERE TO SEE WHAT WE THINK OF THE DARLO TRUST

Our own fault really, for neglecting the need to have a strong and effective Trust in our corner, and that's all going to get rectified IF we get the chance to do it.

There's a lesson there for all footie fans - don't let this happen to you! Support your Trust and do whatever you can through fund-raising to build up enough cash for just such a monsoon as we are currently drowning in.

This message board and the Supporters Club have been working wonders by raising as much cash as they can because we've been left to our own devices with no-one (like the "Trust") to step forward and speak up for us - only the DFC Rescue Group which is really just another bunch of fans who hastily organised themselves into a group to plug the gaping hole where should have stood the Trust.

Right now we need help to save our club, and buy time - not just to put right all those things which we've failed to have in place but to ensure that we keep everything together and preserve some sort of continuity between what we have now, and what we may be facing tomorrow because there's a very real danger that, instead of reforming, we may simply be consigned to the pages of history.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

BuryFan
Team Supported: Bury

Post by BuryFan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am

Bury Fan Here...Good Luck in your plight to stay in exsistance.

Don't know why but your fight for survival touches the heart more than any other club that has fallen, maybe its because of the good match days ive enjoyed at feethams in the past and the fact you have always been in or around the same league as us for the past 20 years. Darlington are a proper football club with a small loyal band of supporters who follow the team through thin and thinner (just like our own), you have always been a friendly and welcoming bunch and i really hope you can pull through this, but regrettably going of the latest news its very unlikely :cry:

Darlington maybe down but by no means do i think you will be out, i hope you regroup and re form and come back fighting stronger than ever before. ive no doubt whatsoever we will meet again someday in league football which is were you deserve to be. If the Bury fans can help in any way im 100% certain they will put money in buckets for your club just like you and other clubs did for us during our darkest years

Here's to meeting you again in the Football League and taking the customery 6 points from you ;)

Up The Darlo

grecianred
Team Supported: Exeter

Post by grecianred » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 am

Hey guys Exeter supporter here just wanting to add my best wishes. We've been thru similar ourselves (incidentally at the time of the 0-2 at home to you lot YouTube footage from the other thread we were at a v low ebb - we signed a Sunday league keeper and had 40yr old trev Morgan upfront in that game and it shows).

It's criminal that clubs like ours can be on the brink when the wages of a tevez for the week would pay the wages of a couple of city players for the year. It looks like you're pulling together well as a club and if poxy clubs like aldershit can come back I am sure you can too.

PS I remember at the time wondering how the hell a club like yours had players of the calibre of painter and blake - both must signs on champo 2!!