Tommy Wright

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

rj50
Team Supported: Darlington

Tommy Wright

Post by rj50 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 pm

We seem to have over looked him,will this season make or brake him? Come on Tommy fire those goals in and prove us all wrong.

divas

Re: Tommy Wright

Post by divas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:04 pm

With Cooper wanting to sign 2 more strikers I'd be surprised if he even got in the matchday squad barring a raft of injuries

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:50 pm

It is up to Tommy Wright.

I suspect we are playing a front three. At the moment, before any other signings you'd probably have HITMAN, Walshaw and Campbell up front. It only takes one suspension or injury or lack of form and Wright is in there with Smith battling for the place, although hopefully Smith will have been palmed off somewhere on loan.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I honestly don't, like.

I'd start Wright ahead of Smith every time, and that is even taking into account that Wright is a red card timebomb.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DARLO360

Post by DARLO360 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:24 pm

I have to admit..I fucking love Tommy Wright! But, that said, he does need to up his game through pre season and take that into the start of next season. He may be prone to getting yellow/red cards fairly often, but he has the capability to score goals, he's shown us that in the past. Giving him stick won't help his confidence, he needs the fans to back him in order to produce goals and play like the old Tommy Wright we once knew. He also seems to be a big character in the dressing room, so in terms of team spirit, he's pretty vital.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:38 pm

DARLO360 wrote:I have to admit..I am Tommy Wright!
:shh:

DARLO360

Post by DARLO360 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:
DARLO360 wrote:I have to admit..I am Tommy Wright!
:shh:
:oops:

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 am

Think that Tommy needs a run of games, last season was unfortunate in that he never really got that.

I dont feel he played that badly when he did get a chance, but didnt score as many as we all would of liked.

Hopefully he'll get a pre-season and he can kick on from there, or gets a club to go out on loan to.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:14 am

If Tommy can take in his performances from the last month of the season he'll do fine

moz1963

Post by moz1963 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:If Tommy can take in his performances from the last month of the season he'll do fine
Agreed, just needs to be a yard quicker., and yes, Tommy ahead of Smith.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:29 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:If Tommy can take in his performances from the last month of the season he'll do fine
Aye that free header from 6 yards he missed at Wembley is just what we need next season ;) :lol:

DL5

Post by DL5 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 am

divas wrote:
Aye that free header from 6 yards he missed at Wembley is just what we need next season ;) :lol:
That memory slightly darkens that great day for me.

Smith or Wright?, it's like debating whether we should play a cabbage or cauliflower up front.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:41 am

That header he missed at Wembley wasn't easy, he had to dive to reach it and the keeper had the post covered. It didn't seem like it should be a certain goal to me.

number_one

Post by number_one » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 am

It was an easy header, but in typical Tommy style he was trying to make it look good rather than just get it in the net.

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 am

number_one wrote:It was an easy header, but in typical Tommy style he was trying to make it look good rather than just get it in the net.
When I saw it live from behind the goal, it looked easy but just a bit unlucky, shaving the post. But on the video, from the side, it was a more difficult chance, still unlucky, and the way the game was going I had the sinking feeling of losing on penalties.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 am

mrcoops1984 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:That header he missed at Wembley wasn't easy, he had to dive to reach it and the keeper had the post covered. It didn't seem like it should be a certain goal to me.
He didn't HAVE to dive - he just opted to !! I've watched it over and over again on the DVD. The guy is an absolute plank. Bottom line is - he bottled it. Stop sticking up for him.

If that was M.Smith it would have been a sitter.....
Michael "scored less goals per minute than Tommy Wright" Smith wouldn't have even been there though.

He would have been ineffectively prancing around at the edge of the 18 yard box. Anything to avoid getting into a genuine goal scoring position.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:35 am

Quakerz wrote:He would have been ineffectively prancing around at the edge of the 18 yard box. Anything to avoid getting into a genuine goal scoring position.
He'd have made a token lunge at the ball and been 5 yards short as per

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 am

I'm not Wright's biggest fan and his performance at Wembley was very poor, but I'd still rate him ahead of Smith as a threat in front of goal. The difference is that Smith could and should get better, whereas Wright peaked a few years ago as an average L2 striker and seems to have got quite a bit worse since then.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

I'd love it if Tommy kicked back into gear for us this season. I really liked him first time round with us; has a bit of character about him on the pitch and I always fancy him for a goal in a way I never did with some of the tat we tried up front - MSmith, Modest Offiong, Louis etc.

No complaints from me that some of his performances were below-par last season although I do think he should have been given more gametime as he's always dangerous. Even when he started he'd get subbed off and ended up only getting a full 90 minutes three times all season - on one of those he got the equaliser at Mansfield, and in the Final he hit the bar and post in extra time.

He probably needs to work out what type of striker he is. Most of his goals seem to be poachers efforts in the box and he seems to have a decent instinct for getting on the end of things. But too often he tries to be the target man with his back to goal which he isn't really that good at!

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 am

One thing i will say about Wright, is like you say Tony, he does have that knack for getting into decent positions - something Smith could do with.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am

divas wrote:One thing i will say about Wright, is like you say Tony, he does have that knack for getting into decent positions - something Smith could do with.
Smith could also do with two new feet.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 am

And some balls.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 am

Homegrown first year pro scores 5 goals & 3 assists in first full season despite missing half his apprenticeship with serious injuries yet is deemed "s***" by popular messageboard consensus.

All I hear when I raise concerns about our summer transfer activity is "trust Cooper, he knows what he is doing"...

...MC wants to ship out Wright (someone please, please take him) and gives Michael Smith a two year deal.

The facts speak for themselves.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 am

MC wants to ship out Wright because he hasn't given value for money. That doesn't make Michael Smith better than Wright.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:10 am

Quakerz wrote:MC wants to ship out Wright because he hasn't given value for money. That doesn't make Michael Smith better than Wright.
He wants to keep Smith. He wants to get rid of Wright.

Its not rocket science Q.

In Cooper we trust...
Last edited by Robbie Painter on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:11 am

Smith definitely has potential, but he needs to put in a lot of hard work.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:MC wants to ship out Wright because he hasn't given value for money. That doesn't make Michael Smith better than Wright.
He wants to keep Smith. He wants to get rid of Wright.

Its not fucking rocket science Q.

In Cooper we trust...
That doesn't make Smith a better player than Wright. In fact he isn't a better player than Wright, end of.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I do think Wright is better than Smith at the moment but the real difference is that Wright is unlikely to get any better, while Smith (and the reason we have to give him a chance) has the potential to get much better. Whether this actually happens only time will tell.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Im not Wrights biggest fan by any means but to say Wrights performance at Wembley was very poor is way off the mark.

He certainly wasnt outstanding but i bet if you ask Foster and the other Mansfield Centre Half they will tell you they had been in a battle - he gave 110% that day and had a right good ding dong with their CB's, held the ball up well on numerous occasions and brought others into the game.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:06 pm

KCChiefs wrote:Im not Wrights biggest fan by any means but to say Wrights performance at Wembley was very poor is way off the mark.

He certainly wasnt outstanding but i bet if you ask Foster and the other Mansfield Centre Half they will tell you they had been in a battle - he gave 110% that day and had a right good ding dong with their CB's, held the ball up well on numerous occasions and brought others into the game.
Wasn't very poor, but wasn't very good either. Did hit the bar twice from set pieces, but in open play was in Foster's pocket throughout. The fact that Foster, at the age of near enough 40, could still give him 5 yards start in extra time tells you everything about Tommy's fitness levels. Not his fault - I think his leg's have gone due to the injuries he's had. Will see the last year of his contract out, as he knows he won't get a comparable offer anywhere else.