Does anyone know a good IT training company for AutoCAD?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Does anyone know a good IT training company for AutoCAD?

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 7:58 am

I need to learn AutoCAD from the ground up so if you know of any good but local IT trainers please let me know.

Preferably in Darlo but Stockton/Thornaby/Yarm would be ok, and preferably one who teaches small groups. I need to go from being loosely familiar with (but utterly confused by) the AutoCAD interface, to being able to create basic drawings to scale, apply layers, and so on. Anything more advanced I can probably pick up myself from there.

I had a look on Yellow Pages and saw a few potential candidates but I guess a few of those are just computer shops who will teach you how to use Windows and Office, but just as a sideline.

I really need a proper tutor. When I worked in the offshore industry on Teesside we brought a professional tutor in who taught us all how to use computers (this was when Windows 3.1 came out and none of us had even touched a mouse) and also Word and Excel, and the courses were very well structured with exercises and so on. There is a plethora of self-teach stuff on the internet and, probably, loads of people who use AutoCAD who "think" they could also be a good teacher of AutoCAD - but there's no substitute for sitting in a classroom with a teacher and a group of other people who are learning at the same time, because a combination of our "stupid questions" will help answer things I might have in my own mind.
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Tue May 17, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Mr_Tibbs

Re: Does anyone know a good IT training company for AutoCAD?

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I got an answer back from this company which someone recommended to me - and their courses look very good.

Enliten IT

The cost of the beginners course (3 days) is £695 +VAT and the next level up (2 days) is £495 +VAT, but they never run them consecutively - usually about a month apart which is a bit difficult as I was hoping to spring a trip back to the UK to do this, and I doubt my company will pay for two trips.

I asked if they had any existing courses I could piggy back onto and they don't, but he said if I could get a group of 8 people together they could hit the road and come and run both courses one straight after the other at a location of my choosing for £6600 +VAT which works out at £825 per person (+VAT).

I've possibly already found 4 others (and hopefully do the training at their office at Preston Farm, but a bit more arm-twisting is required there) so that would just leave another 3 people to find.

Any takers?
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

Bernie Rhodes knows
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Thu May 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Darlington College run a C.A.D course probably starts in September/October. Run by a Darlo fan as well !

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Bernie Rhodes knows wrote:Darlington College run a C.A.D course probably starts in September/October. Run by a Darlo fan as well !
Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Do you happen to know how long it runs for? I'm looking for an intensive training course over 3-5 days as I want to fit it in on a trip back from overseas, so a course of short lessons over several weeks is no good for me.

Edit - I took a look and I think it's this one, but it's part-time over 25 weeks :(

http://www.darlington.ac.uk/courses/eng ... ed-design/
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join - Shop - Collect

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 12, 2016 9:49 pm

For anyone interested I just saw this 3 day introductory course in Durham for £675 +VAT

and this astonishingly expensive 3 day course in Darlington... or Middlesbrough, or whatever town name you replace on the end of the web address...

https://www.theknowledgeacademy.com/cou ... arlington/

The price? Just £3,995 - it doesn't say if that's per person but there's nothing to suggest it's a group price.

I just read some reviews (and not very complimentary ones at that) and it sounds like they really are that expensive :shock: :crazy:

Edit: For anyone else reading it sounds to me as though The Knowledge Academy are one to avoid (read the comments).
Last edited by Mr_Tibbs on Sat May 14, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu May 12, 2016 10:19 pm

I used to use AutoCAD inventor but haven't touched it in 4 years. One thing I do remember is that there were numerous tutorials available (possibly in the "help" section). These tutorials should walk you through everything that you could ever possibly want to do and are ordered in a sensible way. There was also a decent online presence to help if you have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:I used to use AutoCAD inventor but haven't touched it in 4 years. One thing I do remember is that there were numerous tutorials available (possibly in the "help" section). These tutorials should walk you through everything that you could ever possibly want to do and are ordered in a sensible way. There was also a decent online presence to help if you have issues.

Yes, I've seen loads of tutorials but I really need to sit down in a classroom with a good tutor, away from all of my many distractions. I did all my initial IT training that way many years ago and what I remember most about being taught in a small group is that there are more people struggling with similar concepts and a combination of all our (stupid) questions makes the penny drop in the minds of the others.

If it was just a basic office program I'd probably try and just plunge in using the help menu, and I did try the same with AutoCAD but couldn't manage more than half an hour before I had to leave it and do something else, and I just left it in the end.

My employer will also pay for me to come back to the UK if I can find a proper course, and I have some personal matters to attend to but can't afford to come back at the moment. My company are trying to help me out by covering it as part of their training budget.

3 days with a professional instructor could make all the difference.

I was reading more about the 3 day course in Durham (actually it's in Bowburn, so just off the motorway) and they are just a local company and not one of these nationwide train-u-anywhere companies, and the thing I like about them is that they say it's a bad idea to go straight from the 3 day basic course into the 2 day intermediate course. They recommend consolidating what you've learned and by using AutoCAD out in the real world for 2-3 months before taking the more advanced course.

I might get 2 trips :P

Bernie Rhodes knows
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat May 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Bernie Rhodes knows wrote:Darlington College run a C.A.D course probably starts in September/October. Run by a Darlo fan as well !
Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Do you happen to know how long it runs for? I'm looking for an intensive training course over 3-5 days as I want to fit it in on a trip back from overseas, so a course of short lessons over several weeks is no good for me.

Edit - I took a look and I think it's this one, but it's part-time over 25 weeks :(

http://www.darlington.ac.uk/courses/eng ... ed-design/

Yeah that's the one, gets you a Level 2 Qualification I think.
Not much cop I'm afraid if you need to cram it in

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat May 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I've got a quote from the company in Durham - hopefully I'll be back to do their course in mid-July. Just hope we have a friendly I can take in while I'm back.
Join - Shop - Collect