REDUCTION IN GOVERNMENT GRANTS AND DARLINGTON CUT BACKS

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerfan
Team Supported: Darlington

REDUCTION IN GOVERNMENT GRANTS AND DARLINGTON CUT BACKS

Post by quakerfan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:40 am

The Northern Echo is running a petition to protest about the proposed cutbacks to Darlington services , these are really extreme . eg selling off the Covered Market and the Crown Street library building . If you want to protest sign the petition on line (it is easy) .
You can find the story and the petition on the D and S Times website if you do not pay to read the Echo on line .

Darlo_Pete

Re: REDUCTION IN GOVERNMENT GRANTS AND DARLINGTON CUT BACKS

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 am

Tell me about it, as I work for the Council. Fortunately I'm not affected, but I know plenty that will be. I can't see what effect the petition will do, as the Council's hands are tied and they're forced to cover the essential services and anything left over can b used for the none essential services. I can't remember the exact figures, but the budget will be something like £86.5 million and the essential services will use £84 million of that, so there will be virtually nothing left for what are deemed none essential services.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:20 am

No prosecuting for fly tipping? Less street sweeping?

Place will be a shithole.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:05 am

People will blame the council for the reductions in services, just the way these slimy Tory carpet bagging twats want it. Put council tax up to cover it and the sheep believe the governments propaganda. So just what are the government doing with the money from all these savings cos I sure as s*** ain't seeing any of it!!!

Plus I bet a very high proportion of people who moan about council tax don't even pay it!!!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am

I agree.

"Reductions in the council’s budget since 2010 mean the authority will have lost £44 million in funding by 2020"

That's all you need to know. So rather than blame the council have a word with the Tory paymasters. They would love you to blame the council.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:35 am

No. When Labour were in government and the financial crisis hit (world crisis I acknowledge), when leaving office did they leave a note which read "there's no money left"? Labour paid for everything on the credit card and had no reserves when the sh*t hit the fan.

Piss and moan as much as you want. I've signed the petition in support of a motion to reduce the cuts but there has to be cuts somewhere. This is what happens when, as a country, we have lived beyond our means for far to long!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:55 am

I don't live in Darlo but a couple of things spring to mind.

After the stories on the Echo site about this, literally 100's and 100's of the comments left, all say basically the same thing - which is how Dixon and Burns are both overpaid and incompetent. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a good word about these two, so if they are so unpopular, how come they get voted in?

Also it's hard to believe that DBC can't afford flowers, Xmas lights, and to turn on a water feature, when they have savings and pieces of art etc at their disposal.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm

love it! wrote:No. When Labour were in government and the financial crisis hit (world crisis I acknowledge), when leaving office did they leave a note which read "there's no money left"? Labour paid for everything on the credit card and had no reserves when the sh*t hit the fan.
No. That is simply a myth. Political spin, trotted out for far too long now.

As long as they fund the Civic Theatre because after I've paid my council tax (maximum rise possible of 3.99% fast approaching), cut my own grass verge (can I rent this out to angry allotment owners for £200 p/a too?), bought some tasty horsemeat from a "local" multi-national, tax-avoiding, minimum wage paying, food supplier, forced my way through the tramps, kids, gays, alcoholics, drug addicts and anyone else who all of a sudden will need to rely on volunteers, I'll be fucking itching to see a nice play to take my weary mind of the s*** hole we're being forced to exist in through the lie of austerity.

I'm just happy Google has fully obliged to contribute to the state of this country aswell, as how else would I know what will be on at the Civic without it?!

I'm off to the pub... if that hasn't fucking shut down aswell. :sick:

Okay as I feel that wasn't contributing to discussion, I'm glad Darlo Pete has kept his job, as without it the ROH might have to reappear. :shock:

On a serious note, the amount of people sitting at home blaming this "labour council" for the cuts is terrifying. If only they had a local library to visi.......

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:42 pm

Saw Bill Dixon earlier today, looked like he had the troubles of the world on his shoulders.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Some people need to understand the difference between the national debt and the deficit. See how much the national debt has increased since 2010 - mind blowing!

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Oh come on pete! We all know labour spunked far more on rejuvenating an econony than the tories have starving the very same economy. Oh. What? They havent? What do you mean starving consumer spending doesnt kickstart growth and never has in the history of this boom and bust economic model?

Inequality wouldnt be where it is if we were all in this together. Look beyond the headlines.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 pm

love it! wrote:No. When Labour were in government and the financial crisis hit (world crisis I acknowledge), when leaving office did they leave a note which read "there's no money left"? Labour paid for everything on the credit card and had no reserves when the sh*t hit the fan.

Piss and moan as much as you want. I've signed the petition in support of a motion to reduce the cuts but there has to be cuts somewhere. This is what happens when, as a country, we have lived beyond our means for far to long!

Oh dear. If you want to blame anyone blame Nigel Lawson for the Big Bang regards the banks! American banks brought the house down, not a labour government who stopped them all going pop at our expense which the slimy Tory twats have sold off at a loss to their mates!

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 pm

To be fair fatty he didnt say labour caused it. He said they had no money left. Both sides made mistakes since. They will continue to do so too as the system is cyclical and bonuses are too high.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:01 am

One thing that makes me particularly sick about this is that under a remodelled system for calculating central government funding to local authorities towns like Darlington in the North East now get a smaller slice of the cake and the stockbroker counties in the South East like Surrey get more . Can you guess where loads of Tory voters live ?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:43 am

I do wonder if the announcement is a bit premature. Surely the Feethams development is there to breathe new life into the town centre, you'd have thought the covered market could have a bit of a boost from it?

I think the library has been living a charmed life for a while. Most resources available there are accessed through the internet and from what I understand the activities for kids that are hosted there will be moved to the Dolphin Centre.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 am

quakerfan wrote:towns like Darlington in the North East now get a smaller slice of the cake and the stockbroker counties in the South East like Surrey get more . Can you guess where loads of Tory voters live ?
Surrey ?? I like a good quiz.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 pm

Over six thousand signatures so far . If the total reaches ten thousand the government is obliged to respond so if you haven't signed yet and you do care now is a good time to do it.
I know they are determined to stick to their policy but Cameron is a PR man and Osborne is desperate to be the next Prime Minister so maybe , just maybe , they may feel they should look over their shoulders to take notice of what people think . Also they are saying that they want to create a northern powerhouse so if they hear a good shout from the north east they might actually get their minds away from Osborn's focus on Manchester .

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:16 am

+1 :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 am

I thought 10,000 just means they have to debate it, aren't these the debates that take place at like near midnight when there are 4 people left in the commons who just want to claim their stay late allowance. I am a bit tired of these e-petitions to be honest there are way to many over minor disagreements.

The concept of the northern powerhouse will fail if the north east were to take funding - similarly it would also fail if the focus were just on Manchester. There isn't the population or talent pool in Manchester to compete with London, and geography doesn't help link up Newcastle sufficiently with Liverpool/Manchester & Leeds.

It has been adjudged that the covered market does not bring in enough to cover the outlay. If it were so beneficial to the rest of the town then there should be a contribution over and above business rates to cover it.

mikec

Post by mikec » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:13 am

If 10,000 sign up then the Government needs to respond. If 100,000 sign up then it gets debated. The issue is that the funding to local government is being cut and it is being cut most in Labour councils.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 45665.html

mikec

Post by mikec » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:16 am

You might not agree with what Darlington BC do and you might not like the personalities but the funding formula is wrong and needs looking at. Sign the petition and get all your friends to sign it ... might not do any good but you never know :)
https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... 6?ref=mmsp

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:08 pm

mikec wrote:If 10,000 sign up then the Government needs to respond. If 100,000 sign up then it gets debated. The issue is that the funding to local government is being cut and it is being cut most in Labour councils.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 45665.html
At 100,000 it gets considered for debate.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm going to a meeting hosted by Ada Burns on Thursday about the budget. One of the options that the Council could take is to hold a referendum, asking Council Tax payers if they'd vote for raising Council Tax by more than the maximum the Government would allow. One of the problems is that the Council wouldn't know how the majority would vote. But the principal problem is paying for it, especially if they lose. I'm prepared to take a days holiday and work for free on the polling stations. If volunteers can cover all the polling stations, then that should reduce the cost of holding the referendum considerably. Any views?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 pm

It won't happen a- cos the council can't afford it and b- people will vote no!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:55 pm

A major part of the cost is paying for staff to do the polling stations and the count, if that was removed by volunteers, then the cost would be fairly small. Of course people might vote no, but these cuts have caused a lot of bad feeling within the community, so a no vote isn't guaranteed.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm going to a meeting hosted by Ada Burns on Thursday about the budget.
Maybe you could ask her why, to repeat an oft-levelled criticism, she's (apparently) on a higher annual salary than our Prime Porcine Porker?
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm sure she will be asked that.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Pete, people will NOT vote to increase council tax.

Milky, you can't compare salaries with the prime minister due to all the ancillary benefits he'll get for the rest of his life.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05 am

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/142 ... sh/?ref=eb

Dont forgrt guys its overspending by the previous labour government that has resulted in cuts now. Only theres not been cuts they are reinvesting the money infact spending is increasing. What a fucking outrageous argument.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:
Milky, you can't compare salaries with the prime minister due to all the ancillary benefits he'll get for the rest of his life.
Way to deflect the discussion Fatty. The point was what does she do to justify her six figure salary?

It's amazing how the elite at the top of the council haven't done anything themselves towards helping this crisis.

Salaries for council leaders are just the same. We still have the same number of councillors, all earning the same level of "expenses."

Bill Dixon and the like don't give a stuff about ordinary people in the town. The elite is purely focused on preserving it's power and looking after other members of the elite.

It's the same at national level. Cameron et al will look after their friends in the City and media, and if you can't help them keep power, they don't want to know.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY