Who will win the General Election?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who will win the General Election?

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Well we've had the election debate and nobody landed a knockout blow.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well we've had the election debate and nobody landed a knockout blow.
It's a shame Farages policies are terrible because I like him as a orator

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:48 am

Bogratsteve wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Well we've had the election debate and nobody landed a knockout blow.
It's a shame Farages policies are terrible because I like him as a orator
The lack of policies, is why I think when people get to the ballot box, they'll shy away from UKIP, especially as they are unlikely to be more than a protest vote in the vast majority of seats. It's a bit like the Lib Dems who always used to get the protest vote in by-elections, but then their support drifted away at a General Election.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 pm

There is one question that Farage will win on every time, and it was asked last night on TV.

The question was something like "what can we do to control immigration if we stay in Europe?"

Farage said "nothing" and that is the only answer applicable, so it was funny and idiotic when Clegg tried to argue to the contrary by changing the question to something else.

However, to me UKIP are a one question party. Take away the immigration/Europe thing and the rest of their policies are bonkers - I mean just for starters, they want to legalise hand guns again. :crazy:

And another thing. Some of their wannabe MP's look a little insane.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:31 pm

The Sun newspaper seems to be very much against Ed Miliband. They're back to calling him Red Ed and they were rubbishing his performance in the recent election debate. The Sun has for quite a while now, backed the party on election day, that went to win the election later that day. They say that they are responsible for that party winning the election.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Today's Sun on Sunday again attached Miliband over supposed notes for the leaders debate, telling what to do and act. I can't see them backing Labour on election day.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 pm

If he has to use a script for stuff like that then what chance does he stand face to face with someone like Putin?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:56 am

loan_star wrote:If he has to use a script for stuff like that then what chance does he stand face to face with someone like Putin?
Agreed that Miliband seems even less Prime Ministeral material than he did before. Labour would appear to be in trouble.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am

How can you imagine any political leader going into a meeting with "someone like Putin" without briefing notes of some sort ? Also Darlo Pete how can you give what seems to be intended as a serious reply to such a silly comment ?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Putin would take him to the cleaners without notes!! If you need reminders of what you are meant to do or stand for then you aint got a clue.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Sorry loanstar I won't bother you with any further comments, you so obviously speak without experience .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:16 pm

loan_star wrote:If he has to use a script for stuff like that then what chance does he stand face to face with someone like Putin?
I'd be amazed if any of the party leaders went into a debate or any other speech without notes prepared by their team.

Total non-story.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Spyman wrote:
I'd be amazed if any of the party leaders went into a debate or any other speech without notes prepared by their team.

Total non-story.
Throughout the debate, all the leaders were looking down at notes at some point.

This is nothing more than a right-leaning rag picking up on the slightest story to attack the Labour leader.

I'd rather leave my notes on a desk than leave my kids in a pub.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 am

But the notes were telling him what to do, like look at the camera, meaning his performance looked very robotic and not natural at all.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:36 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:But the notes were telling him what to do, like look at the camera, meaning his performance looked very robotic and not natural at all.
Miliband always looks unnatural. He's an odd person, so that was nothing to do with the notes.

Again, it'll have been the same for everyone. They'll all have had similar reminders. Clegg had something similar in 2010, "Look down the camera instead of at the audience." Yet he got praised for it.

You're getting hung up on a very minor story. There are much more important issues at play than whether he reads notes or not.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:But the notes were telling him what to do, like look at the camera, meaning his performance looked very robotic and not natural at all.
Miliband always looks unnatural. He's an odd person, so that was nothing to do with the notes.

Again, it'll have been the same for everyone. They'll all have had similar reminders. Clegg had something similar in 2010, "Look down the camera instead of at the audience." Yet he got praised for it.

You're getting hung up on a very minor story. There are much more important issues at play than whether he reads notes or not.
Precisely. My mind is far from made up as to who I vote for, but ultimately it is not a Prime Minister alone who makes decisions and policies, so voting for a personality or charisma is largely pointless.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:20 am

It seems that the election promises that both Labour and Conservative are making are dubious.

Both of these parties realise, the chances of getting a majority are slim - so this means that when they do their secret backstage deals with their new minor partners they can jettison the promises that are too costly or unworkable.

I call this "doing a Clegg"

Therefore you might choose to vote for one party because you feel very strongly about one topic, only to then be told by the new Prime minister "we can't do that now as our coalition partners won't allow it"

This all means that nobody really knows what they're voting for.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:23 am

The opinion polls have barely moved since the start of the election campaign.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:The opinion polls have barely moved since the start of the election campaign.
It really does seem to depend on which poll and particularly which paper is read.

Miliband's personal approval rating is ahead of Cameron's I read earlier. The same poll back in February has Miliband at -13.6 and Cameron at 0.8 it is now +3.2 Milliband and Cameron +2.3? Wouldn't describe that as 'barely' moved.

The only problem is that this is 'Survation's party leader approval polling for the Mirror' as soon as you see that you expect bias in favour of Labour.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:15 pm

The Labour is so pro Labour it's an embarassment, the same could be said for some of the Tory rags as well.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The Labour is so pro Labour it's an embarassment, the same could be said for some of the Tory rags as well.
So don't read the papers. You could always watch "The Daily Politics" on the beeb to see them all get ripped apart, but then you'd probably give up and not bother voting. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd be interested to know if when deciding who to vote for, do you vote for who is best for you and your circumstances or who you think is best for the country? I vote for who I think is best for the country and the economy.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:49 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'd be interested to know if when deciding who to vote for, do you vote for who is best for you and your circumstances or who you think is best for the country? I vote for who I think is best for the country and the economy.
I would also, if I could fit a cigarette paper between them. Until then I'll vote for the one I think holds the best chance of breaking up the two-party system we've suffered under all my life. :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:52 am

Opposition debate was interesting last night.

I was trying to work out if Farage has given up, or if true to form he is trying to use division to his advantage. Them and us is quite core to his message so maybe the whole annoying the office was just a part of that.

Nobody but UKIP and Lib Dems will work with Cameron. But Ed has claimed he won't work with SNP. Someone is going to have to u-turn.
joejaques wrote:Until then I'll vote for the one I think holds the best chance of breaking up the two-party system we've suffered under all my life.
Coalition is just compromise though. Not sure why you think that is a good position to be in it is just licence for any manifestos to be watered down and not delivered on. Minor parties can be of benefit if they are successful in influencing the major parties and pulling them left/right on various issues.

Ed really needs to have some clarity over what sectors are going to be cut and by how much. It a bit embarrasing when he is asked to clarify and he just repeats "outside of health and education..."

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:59 am

lo36789 wrote:Opposition debate was interesting last night.

I was trying to work out if Farage has given up, or if true to form he is trying to use division to his advantage. Them and us is quite core to his message so maybe the whole annoying the office was just a part of that.

Nobody but UKIP and Lib Dems will work with Cameron. But Ed has claimed he won't work with SNP. Someone is going to have to u-turn.
He's ruled out a coalition with the SNP (and the SNP have done the same) but even last night he didn't explicitly rule out a more informal deal. He undoubtedly tried to leave himself some room to manoeuvre.

And Farage knows exactly what he's doing. His message might alarm non-Ukippers, but it'll go down well with his core vote.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I interpretted last night and recent soundbites from Sturgeon that they would be open to a coalition with Labour, but only if Labour moved a bit further left than their current position.

The worry for Cameron must surely be that everyone has been pretty clear that they will not work with him and even if Tories were to get the most seats in May. I don't know if they will be able to get enough parties with enough seats to join with them to have a majority. Will Conservatives + Lib Dem + UKIP be enough?

Farage's message didn't really alarm/shock me anymore than usual. The thing that stood out last night was his clear desire for it to appear that everyone is against him. As I alluded to that is what he want - so he can appeal to those who believe all politics is out of touch with their circumstances.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 pm

The Conservatives would rely on any UKIP seats they win and the Ulster Unionists, but it won't add up to what the SNP will bring to the table.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 pm

in my humble opinion..............

you cant look beyond the Conservatives

1- they have done an immense job getting the economy back on its feet after the shambles labour made of it
2- cannot vote labour for the above reason, and they let too may immigrants in, just too soon after their disastrous government to even consider giving them the keys to our economy again
3- david cameron is a guy who isnt afraid to make hard decisions for the greater good even if he knows it might be unpopular
4- no other parties have the experience of goverment to even be worth considering

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:16 pm

This sort of s*** boils my blood. You do not vote for a prime minister as that position is not for us to decide. This is not America or a republic. You vote for a candidate in your constituency who you feel best represents your view points and interests.

The current bollox of "voting for who would be best prime minister" is why the political class has gone to rat s*** because people are fixated on a faux American electoral system!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:17 pm

God, we can't say s*** anymore!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!