Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:41 pm

An interesting selections to pick from for the greatest try in the last 125 years.

https://www.rugby-league.com/125?utm_ca ... YY7,2SCE,1

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 pm

The magic weekend at St James Park is under threat from the coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52039338

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 pm
The magic weekend at St James Park is under threat from the coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52039338
Hadn't thought of that. Best value weekend of sport you can find. 6 games and it costs me a tenner for 2 people !!!! Plus a quick 30 minute drive and I am home.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am

Given the postponement of sport worldwide, I'd think it's almost certain that the weekend will be cancelled. Especially if football makes a comeback. Did anybody buy there tickets in advance, I guess you'll get a refund?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am
Given the postponement of sport worldwide, I'd think it's almost certain that the weekend will be cancelled. Especially if football makes a comeback. Did anybody buy there tickets in advance, I guess you'll get a refund?
Most clubs have been "Pre selling" since just after the season started to sell as many as possible rather than rush nearer the date I know KR have sold over 3000 for the second day and over 1000 for the weekend. I buy mine automatically with being a Gold life member.
Most won't think of this, but Newcastle always play on the Friday night pre magic and it is free entrance for anyone with the weekend pass as they make a shed load of money on food and drink. There are also other spin off's. Hotels, pubs, restaurants.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 am

Not good news that Mose Masoe is being asked to leave his hospital bed before he is ready to go home, in order for his bed to be used by a coronavirus patient. Hope he can continue to make progress & I hope his long term health & wellbeing is threatened by this decision. Tough times for everybody at the moment.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:13 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 am
Not good news that Mose Masoe is being asked to leave his hospital bed before he is ready to go home, in order for his bed to be used by a coronavirus patient. Hope he can continue to make progress & I hope his long term health & wellbeing is threatened by this decision. Tough times for everybody at the moment.
Yes we heard this 3 days ago. Mose has been up and working at walking with the help of parallel bars for the last few days. (Totally amazing in itself when you consider the original prognosis), and was due to move to the next stage of learning to walk which would have included him learning to stand himself without anyone's aid and to walk using a treadmill with hold rails for his arms to support him. Obviously going home means he does not have the equipment needed to move from stage to stage.
The club have asked the government if we pay is there is any way a room at his home can be adapted and equipment supplied. As his wife has changed the lounge round to take a bed for him, if this is not possible this would mean the fitting of a stair lift and setting up equipment in a bedroom for him.
Part of the problem the poor guy faces is that he still has no control in the bathroom department so is going to need someone either going in a couple of times daily or to "live in" for a period. Just to make things a tad harder his wife is nearly 6 months pregnant as well as having the 2 young girls to look after.
The guy really is amazing. He has been making a video every single day and posting it to KR members and not once during the entire episode has he not had a smile on his face or come across as being sorry for himself.

Ps, Thank you. It is always a boost to know that fans from other clubs are taking an interest in this remarkable man.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Great news for Mose Masoe as he is being allowed to remain in hospital to continue his recuperation from his horrendous injuries suffered in the pre-season game at Wakefield.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52213309

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm
Great news for Mose Masoe as he is being allowed to remain in hospital to continue his recuperation from his horrendous injuries suffered in the pre-season game at Wakefield.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52213309
Was just watching his latest video. He managed to walk about 10 yards using a zimmer frame yesterday.
I admit to see him stand on his own from his bed with no help and then do the distance brought tears to my eyes.
Well done to Pinderfields for insisting that the spinal unit had to remain

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:24 pm

More quick progression.
Mose walked yesterday using the aid of a pair of the long walking sticks that grip the upper arm.
He said his aim is to be able to walk out onto Craven Park to say thanks for all the good wishes the next time we play,be that this season or next, and I for 1 would not bet against him.
We call him "The beast" as a player and he is proving the name correct

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:43 pm

The SL clubs are asking all the staff to take a pay cut. The article by the BBC implies that some of thee larger clubs Leeds, St. Helens & Warrington will be affected most, not sure why?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52311952

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:49 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:43 pm
The SL clubs are asking all the staff to take a pay cut. The article by the BBC implies that some of thee larger clubs Leeds, St. Helens & Warrington will be affected most, not sure why?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52311952
I would have thought your lot would be in there as well. I know Leeds employ over 200 people all told,(from JJB on his show 2 weeks ago). That is a lot of people, but put against Manures 900 employee's manageable.
Of course clubs owning their grounds will still have to pay maintenance costs, while those renting will probably have lesser costs.

The comments on Salford made me laugh. Any loss they have the good Doctor will simply pay for them as usual.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Sad news but not unexpected that the Magic Weekend at St.James Park has been cancelled for the foreseeable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52367454

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:27 am

Will those people who bought tickets for the Magic Weekend get a full refund, as I know a lot of fans will have booked their tickets for the event, hotels & transport well in advance?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm
Sad news but not unexpected that the Magic Weekend at St.James Park has been cancelled for the foreseeable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52367454
Yes, when I saw this on another group I said I doubt if it can be fitted in at Sid James grotto at any other point this year so I think we have lost it for the season.
Next, if cutting the season with still games played, lets get rid of these bloody "loop" games rather than lose the cup.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm

I think the League Winners Shield should be awarded to whichever side is top of the table at the moment!!!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm
I think the League Winners Shield should be awarded to whichever side is top of the table at the moment!!!
I would give them the title.
Strongly detest this "League leaders " garbage. If you are top after a full season of games you are the best, ie the CHAMPIONS.
I would then have no problem with a "best of the best" type thing which the Grand final becomes.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:16 am

In case you missed it Pete, Mose is now home from Pinderfields.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 am

That's great news I hadn't heard. Hope his health continues to improve, it's nice to hear some positive news in these hard times.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:20 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 am
That's great news I hadn't heard. Hope his health continues to improve, it's nice to hear some positive news in these hard times.
Yes, his home is somewhat "changed" since he last saw it. We received a video of him going home on Monday.(He went home Saturday). We only saw the downstairs of his house but he was laughing and joking about the changes so he can get round.
The first tear we have seen since the accident arrived near the end of the video. Someone knocked at the door and his wife helped him outside. All his neighbours were outside their houses clapping and cheering him. The really nice part was that a number of them had Hull shirts on so would normally be giving him aggro as they pass in the street.
He said at the start of the road that his big ambition was to walk back out onto CP to thank everyone for the support. Everyone I know expected that to be in a wheelchair. Not now. I am convinced first game back we will see him walk out. Players from all clubs say CP is 1 of the noisiest in the game. I promise you, it will be bedlam when that happens.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:52 am

That's a lovely story & great to hear that Hull fans came out to show their support. RL will always survive when you have fans like these. Hopefully when RL finally returns, it will be to full grounds & not social distancing, which will kill any atmosphere.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Great news that he now at home, a long road ahead for him but best wishes from all RL fans everywhere

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 am

Good news for RL as they get a crucial loan of £16m from the Government for the top 3 leagues. It'll be interesting to see how it is divided amongst the clubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52493621

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 01, 2020 7:53 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:50 am
Good news for RL as they get a crucial loan of £16m from the Government for the top 3 leagues. It'll be interesting to see how it is divided amongst the clubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52493621
I would expect 10 mill to the SL with 1 mil to each of the 10 English clubs and the rest going 4 mil to the championship and 2 mil to league 1.
May or may not sound fair, but it has to be remembered that below SL they are part time in the main.
We know KR as an example have lost half a mil with the loss of Westlife, Little Mix, and Tom Jones concerts this summer.
I am sure a lot of owners have breathed a rather large sigh of relief as it was sure that more than 1 was going to the wall before we return.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 06, 2020 2:17 pm

John Kerr manager of Bradford Bulls is proposing that the Super League is extended to 14 clubs. Not sure this is a good idea, as you couldn't change it to 14 clubs until next season & it would leave the Championship short of teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52560445

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed May 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:17 pm
John Kerr manager of Bradford Bulls is proposing that the Super League is extended to 14 clubs. Not sure this is a good idea, as you couldn't change it to 14 clubs until next season & it would leave the Championship short of teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52560445
I just read it myself. John always has talked a lot of common sense.

This is NOT having a dig at you Pete, but you do not go to many matches. Believe me, KR v Salford 5 times a season is far too many. Even playing the Dullers that many times just gets boring.

These "Loop" fixtures are only 1 step up from the bloody 8's.

14 in the top league leaves 25 teams in 2 leagues with another Canadian side from next season so 26. I am sure we could find 2 clubs in the lower leagues who would like a crack at league 1, thus leaving 3 leagues of 14, ie, 26 league games plus magic or Summer bash, and sort a similar weekend for league 1 if they want it. Certainly Normanton Knights and Thatto Heath Crusaders come to mind as progressive clubs. Siddal and even a 3rd Hull side, West Hull could be interested. In league 2. Hull Dockers and Saddleworth Rangers and Gateshead storm from league 3 would all like to move up but are hampered by no automatic promotion, so I doubt we would have a problem in bringing leagues up to required numbers.
Would be interested to hear from Rob about Cas Lock lane as to could they sustain a place higher up.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed May 06, 2020 8:26 pm

I think RL suffers from not having many sides that want to progress to the semi-pro leagues. The only new teams that want to progress up through the leagues & have the potential to get up to the SL level are coming from North America.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu May 07, 2020 7:45 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:26 pm
I think RL suffers from not having many sides that want to progress to the semi-pro leagues. The only new teams that want to progress up through the leagues & have the potential to get up to the SL level are coming from North America.
I firmly believe that we need to expand the game round the world to be able to expand in this country. For that reason, and having talked to a couple of people involved at Toronto I backed them to come into our leagues, however, since hitting SL they have tried to twist and get rule exemptions which I find unacceptable.
I was told they aim to have a North American league inside 10 years, and to aid this Ottawa, New York and maybe 1 other should be allowed to come through our leagues to promote the game over there, but NOT to stay long term as there is little doubt SL will simply become an American/Canadian league because of the money issues.
There are some very very good sound clubs certainly in the Championship and league 1. Featherstone, Sheffield and London all come easily to mind while Newcastle and Doncaster could also step up to SL facility wise. When you have Dewsbury rattling round in league 1 you know there are clubs lower down that have the grounds to play in SL, certainly if Wakey is given as the example. Rochdale for example play at Rochdale fc ground. It felt so funny sitting in the main stand there in 17 for KR's game as with Darlo it has always been the opposite side.

For a lot of these sides the biggest problem is lack of exposure. While RL gets some small local coverage in newspapers, how often do you see anything in the national news? Just watch Sky news as an example. I do not know if it is deliberate but they run through a number of sports news items at the bottom of the screen. Formula 1, Rugby Union etc, then just as it comes to Rugby league turn, off we go to a break !!!!
Kids growing up, (unless there family drag them along from being babies), simply do not know the game exists, thus poor crowds and gate receipts.

The funny thing is that clubs for kids are well supported, but once they hit the age of 15-16 there is a yawning gap for upward movement. Once again, people lost to the game.

We need to get the game into papers and onto TV and radio more. My hope is that allowing Toronto etc through our leagues is going to help with this problem eventually.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm

I don't see a North American league happening for many years, they will want to dominate our super league, I can't see them accepting a sub-standard SL. I think the SL 10 years from now will be dominated by large city teams or teams with a large fan base from England, France, Canada & America. Time will tell.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 am

I see the players union have perked up and are trying to play hard men. The Union,(part of GMB), which is led by Garreth Carvell, an ex Dull player is insisting that once the game resumes any cuts must be repaid. (All SL clubs have agreed cuts of between 30 and 50% of wages).
Both Dull and KR have agreed 35%. Dull for 3 months while KR players have agreed to November.(The end of contracts).

Our chairman, Hudgie, puts in just short of 1 mill every season and most chairman do something similar. How on earth can a union think they can threaten these men? Disgraceful !!!!!

I only know of KR, but if the union keep this stance I can see a split because KR players fully support Hudgie.

As a "ps" the minimum wage in SL is £100,000 a year so near 2 grand a week. Even with a 35% cut that are not exactly on the bread line !!!!