Rugby League

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rugby League

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Wigan sign up Jackson Hastings for another year, great news for Wigan, bad news for the rest of the SL. :D

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:14 am

Bit of a shock last night as Hull beat Warrington & set up a game against Wigan next week. The winner of the Catalan v Leeds game tonight will play St. Helens also next week.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:51 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Wigan sign up Jackson Hastings for another year, great news for Wigan, bad news for the rest of the SL. :D
Not if you are a rugby fan and enjoy watching good players.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:22 am

Great to see that Catalan overcome losing home field advantage & beat Leeds. Now they face St. Helens next Friday for a place in the grand final.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 pm

We have today signed Ryan Hall.
His time in Aus did not go too well, but at the point he left not many UK clubs would have said "no thanks" to signing him.
32 years old so hopefully has the 2 years left in his legs that we have signed him for.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:25 am

Was he injured our in oz or was he just not fancied to play? At 32 he'll almost certainly be past his best especially as he is a winger, where you need to keep your pace to remain competitive & effective. Time will tell if he is a great signing or not.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:25 am
Was he injured our in oz or was he just not fancied to play? At 32 he'll almost certainly be past his best especially as he is a winger, where you need to keep your pace to remain competitive & effective. Time will tell if he is a great signing or not.
No the management simply did not fancy him. Think he played 6 games his first season and 5 last. May be the other way round, but I do know he was dropped to reserve grade after just 1 game. Not really given the chance to prove himself in my eyes.
Thing is Pete, he is not just a winger. He can play round the edge of the pack and he makes yards, loosing a yard of pace will not effect that, and that is what has been in short supply.
There is the added fact that with the 2 we have signed other players may well look and think "They are buying some good players so are determined to change things round".

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:03 pm

The man of steel nominee's have been announced & the winner will be announced on Monday evening. The nominee's are

Bevan French Wigan
Liam Farrell Wigan
Aidan Sezer Huddersfield
Lachlan Coote St. Helens
Paul McShane Castleford

It's hard to see beyond Bevan French for me, bur perhaps I'm biased.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54978614

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Sorry but this years "Man of Steel is a joke.
How they can even contemplate not giving it to Mose is totally beyond me.
So happy he has been asked to take the ball out to the middle at the cup final.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Well possibly because he hasn't played this season, it will be great to see him at the cup final. Can't see beyond a Wigan v St. Helens final.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Interesting on the Super League Show this week, both the pundits thought that Toulouse deserved & will be promoted to the Super League for next season.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 pm

I won't mind that. Only been the once, (2017), but enjoyed it and will also give me 2 trips a year to explore the castles and churches. That can't be bad !!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 am

Couple of massive semi-finals take place tonight & tomorrow. It's hard to see beyond Wigan & St. Helen's not progressing to the grand final, especially now a couple of Catalan players have received lengthy bans.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 am
Couple of massive semi-finals take place tonight & tomorrow. It's hard to see beyond Wigan & St. Helen's not progressing to the grand final, especially now a couple of Catalan players have received lengthy bans.
Just don't let bloody Dull win. I will never hear the end of it if they get to the final let alone win the bloody thing.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 am

Was that comprehensive enough for you? Awesome display by Wigan to reach the grand final next Friday.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 am
Was that comprehensive enough for you? Awesome display by Wigan to reach the grand final next Friday.
You do like to up your Wigwam lot don't you. You were under the cosh and visibly second best until Griffin had 1 of his "moments" and played silly buggers by ruffling ?'s head. That gave the entire Wigwam side a lift. Sort of "No bugger is coming onto our patch and taking the hiss" type thing.
I was glad you won. You deserved it in the end, but it was not as easy as it could have been, and yet again, both your first 2 tries had forward passes. The 1 with the catch and pass in 1 move actually the last 2 passes were forwards. I know it happens to everyone, but when the lino and ref are both up with the game they really should be spotting them.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:21 pm

If there is any doubt, then they should refer it to the TV ref. I agree one of the try's did have a forward pass in the build up. Thought that tackle by French to stop Hull scoring when Wigan were already safe was exceptional. Wonder who will win tonight, heart says Catalan, my head says St. Helens.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:46 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:21 pm
If there is any doubt, then they should refer it to the TV ref. I agree one of the try's did have a forward pass in the build up. Thought that tackle by French to stop Hull scoring when Wigan were already safe was exceptional. Wonder who will win tonight, heart says Catalan, my head says St. Helens.
A solid Saints win as expected. Fancy Cats having the cheek to take the lead. Well and truly put in their place.
1 game left and we are rid of this horrible season. Mind you, with KR now signing Korbin Sims, (if he is anywhere near as destructive as Ashton I will be well happy).. I am already quite enthusiastic for next season to start.
Got my new home shirt the other day. Saints in reverse comes to mind. Lots of Red with 1 wide and 2 narrow White v's. (I do hope the away is better when it is revealed).

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am

Funny how in both semi-finals the losing team scored a penalty first & then were thumped, although Catalan self destructed with their indiscipline. So who do you think will win on Friday?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am
Funny how in both semi-finals the losing team scored a penalty first & then were thumped, although Catalan self destructed with their indiscipline. So who do you think will win on Friday?
By default and because of my intense dislike of Wigwam !!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:29 pm

The new Super league season starts on March 11 2021. Great to see that the Magic weekend will be returning to St. James Park on the 29th & 30th May. Great news for all RL fans in the North East.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:57 am

Massive match tonight between Wigan & St. Helens. It should be an awesome game & it's hard to pick a winner, but hopefully Sean O'Loughlin will end off his glittering career in style with a Wigan win.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:29 pm

Great final! Nearly as good as Burrows one.

Chuffed St Helens won purely cos I can’t do with Zak Hardaker, karma......

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Yes it was a great final, can't believe it finished that way. Gutted.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:35 pm
Yes it was a great final, can't believe it finished that way. Gutted.
I was going to come on last night and comment but I wanted to see what you had to say. I bet if Wigwam had won it would have been a lot more than 13 words !

Have to say as someone who has no love for either club that has to be in the top 2-3 games I have ever watched. If it had been a Roy of the Rovers type thing they would have said it was an OTT storyline.
Had it been an NRL game people would wax lyrical for years to come. I hope in years to come this game gets all the credit it deserves.
From second 1 to the buzzer all 26 men on the pitch slugged it out. That it was 2-0 with so little time left defied logic,(mainly from Wigwams defensive point of view).
I was quite deflated when your lot went in front as I could not see another 4 pointer coming, and shocked when Saints refused the first penalty after you scored. 4-4 and the distance that Welsby made up on Bevan French when the ball hit the woodwork was remarkable. Had he been so fast first 10 minutes ok, but after that match with the hits everyone took? And then to actually out muscle French to get to the ball was classic.
By the way, as happens so often with football penalty shoot outs, the match did not end correctly as by the rules of the game Saints had to take the kick before the match ended. I know it is a small point, but it does show yet again, the ref's either do not know, or do not follow the laws of the game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:39 am

During the Grand Final the commentator said that he expects teams to return to training at the start of January, not much of a break for the players. When is the decision being made about who is replacing Toronto in the SL? Hope it goes to Toulouse.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:41 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:39 am
During the Grand Final the commentator said that he expects teams to return to training at the start of January, not much of a break for the players. When is the decision being made about who is replacing Toronto in the SL? Hope it goes to Toulouse.
It is not really a long enough of a break to re-mend battered bodies I agree, but at least they put the start back by a month to March. It means pre season games will start round about the time the season normally does. Wonder if the traditional boxing day games will go ahead this year in any form. That extra month also means we may be able to squeeze fans in as well if people do not go stupid over Christmas.
I expect us to revert to a February start next year, but to show exactly where we are at, KR normally do a month of hard work from mid November and have a few days break over Christmas so would have started training for next season before this 1 finished.

The decision on who replaces Toronto was meant to be taken on the 18th November, but was put back yet again until "the 3rd week" of December. Not fare on the chosen club as a short time to get squad sorted. That said, Leigh seem to have signed an awful lot of SL players for next term. Wonder if that is the clue.
Glad that Magic stays at Newcastle and also they have already announced that the season works the same as this with a top 6 play off. That of course also means the clubs get a longer break next year than with an 8's/loop games.

The bit I do NOT get is "Each club "will play 13 home matches,(which includes magic)". Now to me that says that all clubs are considered at home for magic, thus should be part of the season passes, yet the RFL have already asked me to book my seats. Work that 1 out.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:56 pm

If they are starting next season a month later & the Grand Final isn't being moved, how are they going to get these extra games played, unless they play some of them midweek?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:56 pm
If they are starting next season a month later & the Grand Final isn't being moved, how are they going to get these extra games played, unless they play some of them midweek?
Playing less games Pete. There are no loop games and what was meant to be top 8 is top 6 as this year. That means the bottom half play 6 games less than normal, and the rest depends on who goes through to the knockouts.
Remember we had a big gap with no games played. KR did not play from March 15th to August 30th a gap of 23 weeks. Just the number of games to be played in the new season. As the season starts the same week as the restart it leaves 6 weeks to the grand final at the end of the regular season. (cup matches not taken into account, but even that only adds a maximum of 4 games to win the thing for the top sides, and 1 more for the bottom 4.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Now that lived upto a classic Grand Final, happy Saints won and like comeondarlo have a definite dislike for Hardaker, as a Tigers fan he let us down so badly with his behavior then pissed off to Wigan never really apologised to Cas fans.
DP why Toulouse? I would rather see a traditional team like Featherstone given a chance, think league should be extended to 14 teams anyway, perhaps not next season but the one after, 26 games and maybe a Magic weekend as an extra.
Anyone know if England games are going to happen ?