The Ashes (again)

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

comeondarlo
Posts: 2614
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 am

Bogratsteve wrote:TBH i'm happy with it, we need a settled team and introduce some youngsters now otherwise we will be stuffed in a year or two, get Trott back fit then put Stokes in KP's role and the top order looks good

Cook
Carbs?
Trott
Bell
Stokes
Root
Prior/A.N.Other
Bres/Onions
Broad
Spinner
Anderson
It must have been a very tough decision!

It's done now and time to move on with Cook's team and harmony.

From your team above I'd put Root opening (Compton is another option) and bring Morgan in. Onions in depending on conditions, the spinner is the hardest short term option (maybe develop Root).
Who knows about Trott, hopefully he'll be ok.

Bogratsteve
Posts: 4031
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 am

Yeah the spin is the real tricky one

Monty - dependable but can be exposed
Borthwick - just not good enough currently
Tredwell - Dependable also but not going to pull any trees up
Root - maybe in time but need someone for the summer

I think Monty will get the nod

re: Morgan - could be idea but him & stokes & Prior together could be a massive score or all out very quickly and the tail exposed to a fairly new ball and a collapse - need someone who can digin as Geoffrey would say but i am not convinced Carbs is the right opener either!!

User avatar
TSQuaker
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by TSQuaker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:TBH i'm happy with it, we need a settled team and introduce some youngsters now otherwise we will be stuffed in a year or two, get Trott back fit then put Stokes in KP's role and the top order looks good

Cook
Carbs?
Trott
Bell
Stokes
Root
Prior/A.N.Other
Bres/Onions
Broad
Spinner
Anderson
I just can't help but think that KP has been made a scapegoat because of what happened in Australia.
Northern League Champions 2013

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Hilly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:26 pm

I doubt highly you'll ever see Onions back in an England shirt in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bogratsteve
Posts: 4031
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Hilly wrote:I doubt highly you'll ever see Onions back in an England shirt in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Totally Agree, he has said he will try to regain his place but I think its unlikely

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Hilly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:
Hilly wrote:I doubt highly you'll ever see Onions back in an England shirt in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Totally Agree, he has said he will try to regain his place but I think its unlikely
I'm surprised he said something like that to be honest. If I'd had the season he did and then got treated the way he did by the England management, I'd tell them to shove it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bogratsteve
Posts: 4031
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:34 am

Onions called into Lions squad for Sri Lanka tour as Mark Wood injured, they better not knacker bunny just before the start of the season, I would have refused if I was him tbh

User avatar
Hilly
Posts: 6251
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Hilly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

I feel a bit sorry for KP. Rumour has it that there was an argument before one of the tests when the team were told to do more fitness sessions on the eve of a game, when KP argued that they should spend more time on technique, and less time on fitness....and I tend to agree.

Any problems with fitness were there long before the eve of a test and are unlikely to be fixed overnight. Technique on the other hand just might - it might have just 'clicked'. Unlikely but still more likely that fitness improvements.

That's the reason the ECB are likely to illude to in a statement that may appear tomorrow i.e. the team couldn't move on because of KP's reluctance to abide to 'team ethics'. Bit of a cop out if you ask me.

comeondarlo
Posts: 2614
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: A Swimming Pool (usually).

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:31 am

Hilly wrote:I feel a bit sorry for KP. Rumour has it that there was an argument before one of the tests when the team were told to do more fitness sessions on the eve of a game, when KP argued that they should spend more time on technique, and less time on fitness....and I tend to agree.

Any problems with fitness were there long before the eve of a test and are unlikely to be fixed overnight. Technique on the other hand just might - it might have just 'clicked'. Unlikely but still more likely that fitness improvements.

That's the reason the ECB are likely to illude to in a statement that may appear tomorrow i.e. the team couldn't move on because of KP's reluctance to abide to 'team ethics'. Bit of a cop out if you ask me.
I think it's a bit of a totting up system and how he did it.

I reckon he was on his last warning and if what he said was done in front of the rest of team and undermined Flower/Cook. We are in a re-building stage anyway they've decided to re-build without their maverick best player, brave!
There'll be a lot of young ones in and around the team now, they didn't want them influenced by KP.

Brave decision though and would have made more sense if Flower was still in charge.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:Yeah the spin is the real tricky one

Monty - dependable but can be exposed
Borthwick - just not good enough currently
Tredwell - Dependable also but not going to pull any trees up
Root - maybe in time but need someone for the summer

I think Monty will get the nod

re: Morgan - could be idea but him & stokes & Prior together could be a massive score or all out very quickly and the tail exposed to a fairly new ball and a collapse - need someone who can digin as Geoffrey would say but i am not convinced Carbs is the right opener either!!
Agree with most of this. If England are ditching Pietersen as part of "moving forward" as the ECB put it, there's no way you can keep a mediocre trundler such as Carberry in the team.

Spinner is a really difficult one. I wouldn't go with Monty. He's past it and I just don't think he's what the selectors are looking for.

Moeen Ali might be an interesting one to look at during the Windies tour/ World T20. He's a good batter and handy as a spinner, although untested at international level. It'd be a massive risk throwing him in as the main spinner.

Or we could just go with 5 seamers, with Root's off-spin supporting. What's the point in trying to fit in a frontline spinner if they're not good enough?

I think Root will be opener and Gary Ballance will continue in the middle order. I'd like to see Sam Robson given the chance as he is a real talent. It'd be great for Onions to come back into the test side, although I'd be surprised if he did.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6128
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:TBH i'm happy with it, we need a settled team and introduce some youngsters now otherwise we will be stuffed in a year or two, get Trott back fit then put Stokes in KP's role and the top order looks good

Cook
Carbs?
Trott
Bell
Stokes
Root
Prior/A.N.Other
Bres/Onions
Broad
Spinner
Anderson
Basically the same team that performed poorly in Australia minus their highest run scorer in the series? Sorry but KP should not have been chucked on the scrapheap when he is better than most of them put together.

Post Reply