The Hub

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

The Hub

Post by KCChiefs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Closing down apparently, didnt last long...

Shame as had a couple of v.good nights in there for the Retro Events. Dont know the reasons why, but the way the town has progressed over the last 5 or so years, its completely in the wrong place.

DIRTYDAVE
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Hub

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Never went in, Only know one person who went in. Yeah that part of the town is dead now anyway its all about the west end area.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 am

Never been in there, but no surprise as I have heard from a few people that the bouncers are right pricks.

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 pm

AndyPark wrote:Never been in there, but no surprise as I have heard from a few people that the bouncers are right pricks.
Think your getting confused with InsideOut Andy, sooner that place shuts the better.
><
X

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Sad news. Hopefully, the forum can take up some of the slack.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 pm

connor2k7ovdarlo wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Never been in there, but no surprise as I have heard from a few people that the bouncers are right pricks.
Think your getting confused with InsideOut Andy, sooner that place shuts the better.
I've had no problems there to be fair mate.

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I quite like InsideOut, only been to the Hub once and after about 20 minutes me and my mates left. Didn't enjoy it at all.

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Speaking to one of the lads who DJ'd for The Hub in their warm up bars (Avalon and Aspire), the reason why it shut down was because apart from Retro & Hedkandi, any other night in there was dire. I said all along it would suffer because there is no "routine" whilst making your way up there, where-as Harvey's and Inside Out are well situated in terms of bars and pubs around them.

It is safe to say though that the town is awful these days, having left Harvey's last month due to my new job at the Kings Hotel, I can honestly say I have not been tempted once by the night life and much prefer just going down the local.

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

quakermass

Post by quakermass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:07 am

Darlo town centre is like a ghost town on a Saturday night. The other week I walked past Yates's at about 8:30 and at the most there was 6 people in! In my youth we'd be queuing to get in at that time! Most people seem to opt for the ale pubs like the tapas bar and number 22 's. Darlo seems to be stuck in a time warp which doesn't help and people don't have the spare cash they used to in my hay day!

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 am

Totally agree Quakermass - and there's probably more bars in the town centre nowadays? so the crowds are more spread out..

I remember when the likes of Blacketts, Yates, Green Dragon, Humphreys, Berlins ,Buzz were rammed. Even Harveys now is only rammed the occasional Saturday.

You can still have a decent night and visit a few bars that are busy - Grange Road end but its certainly changed over the past 5 - 10 yr.

Me like a lot of others i know now spend more time in the likes of Durham, Newcastle & York.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 pm

quakermass wrote:Darlo town centre is like a ghost town on a Saturday night. The other week I walked past Yates's at about 8:30 and at the most there was 6 people in! In my youth we'd be queuing to get in at that time! Most people seem to opt for the ale pubs like the tapas bar and number 22 's. Darlo seems to be stuck in a time warp which doesn't help and people don't have the spare cash they used to in my hay day!
It used to be rammed out when I used to go to Darlo, as well. But the culture has changed in the last 20 years - more young uns smoke dope instead of drink so there aren't as many drinkers, supermarket beer is so much cheaper relatively than it used to be, and the smoking ban was the final nail - people just prefer to get some tins in, put their feet up and watch Sky Movies with the wife/couple of mates, than go out.

On rare occasions when I go out for a drink in Aycliffe or Darlo these days, I always feel a sadness going into the empty shells that used to be packed.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Too many coked up wannabes out and about now!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Too many coked up wannabes out and about now!
Getting the impression from the rest of the thread that there aren't enough!...

Free_Transfer

Post by Free_Transfer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:
quakermass wrote:Darlo town centre is like a ghost town on a Saturday night. The other week I walked past Yates's at about 8:30 and at the most there was 6 people in! In my youth we'd be queuing to get in at that time! Most people seem to opt for the ale pubs like the tapas bar and number 22 's. Darlo seems to be stuck in a time warp which doesn't help and people don't have the spare cash they used to in my hay day!
It used to be rammed out when I used to go to Darlo, as well. But the culture has changed in the last 20 years - more young uns smoke dope instead of drink so there aren't as many drinkers, supermarket beer is so much cheaper relatively than it used to be, and the smoking ban was the final nail - people just prefer to get some tins in, put their feet up and watch Sky Movies with the wife/couple of mates, than go out.
Can you blame them though? Cheap, warm, no chew, no daft twats giving your missus the eye or taking exception to the way you blinked...easy.

You'se could all come to Hartlepool for a good night out :lol:

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:18 pm

yep 20 years ago in the old dun cow, perrys cellar, the Bowes cellar, green dragon and humpries on a Saturday afternoon, happy days

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:yep 20 years ago in the old dun cow, perrys cellar, the Bowes cellar, green dragon and humpries on a Saturday afternoon, happy days

Yep, that was me too! :thumbup:

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

The town in my opinion is only going to get worse, if the council had given permission to the Key's on their plans for the old Retro building then maybe this wouldn't be the case. You look at some of the empty shells such as Aruba (use to love going in there when it first opened), Routes 66 (s*** hole) and Cactus Jacks (or whatever the hell it is called), and it just puzzles as to how it has gotten to this.

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Cactus jack is/was called audio got kicked out of their in my teens for being to drunk on a thursday night all you can drink for £10. Has Routes shut down too. Aruba closed its doors years ago because people were fighting with the routes crowd & now Rileys snooker hall has shut.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 pm

My later years before I moved away was spent in the Glittering Star, not when it was a gay pub I add, is it still open?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah, it's still open. Never been in, but it's still open.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Cheers Andy, always convenient for getting to Feethams and back quickly

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 am

DIRTYDAVE wrote:now Rileys snooker hall has shut.
Really? When did that happen? Grim times.
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

bigbitchtits
Team Supported: Sunderland

Post by bigbitchtits » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Our usual route when we first started going down was Tanners, Flares, Humphries, Atomic and then 2K! Seem to remember 2K being all you can drink for £10 aswell. The good old days... :-D

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Bizza wrote:
DIRTYDAVE wrote:now Rileys snooker hall has shut.
Really? When did that happen? Grim times.
Tuesday. :|

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:My later years before I moved away was spent in the Glittering Star, not when it was a gay pub I add, is it still open?
I called into the Glittering Star a couple of years ago for old time's sake. I ordered 2 pints and the Barman said "that's £2.70". I then tried to explain that I wanted two pints, not one. I nearly collapsed when he told me that was the price for 2 pints.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

carver30

Post by carver30 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Town very quiet these days went out recently on a Saturday and it was dead. Like the above person said its quite sad really.

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 am

Fucking hell i didn't know Rileys had closed, used to go quite regular but not so much now due to work.

Town is Awful nowadays. even when i turned 18 (only 2 years ago) it was a lot better then. Not surprised The Hub has shut, after the England-Sweden game in the Euro's about 8 of us decided to go, we were refused by the bouncers for apparently being to drunk. we were all pretty sober and calm, so there was no reason not to let us in.. Bouncers were bellends.

Night life is getting gradually worse with (as mentioned) the west end of the town the only half decent place to go (Hoskins, Joe's Bar, Avalon, Harvey's, Seen & inside out) the only other one that is really worth going to is Steads as a place to meet up with everyone as its cheap.

Its funny how the other places that have closed down are all in the same area Routes66 (shithole) Audio, The Hub, and now Rileys. i think the reason for these places closing down is the 'younger' generation and Where seen & inside out and harveys are situated, These 2 places are where the majority of the 'younger' ones go. and Town is full of 18-30 year olds so its no surprise the other places have closed down and the west end is where the night life is.

Retro (flares) also closed but i think that was down to the building not being safe or something.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 am

Scrap that, Inside Out are a joke .. Bouncers refused me and my mate on Saturday night as we was "casual". So to them, going down town smartly dressed is an excuse not to let you in. Pricks.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 am

AndyPark wrote:Scrap that, Inside Out are a joke .. Bouncers refused me and my mate on Saturday night as we was "casual". So to them, going down town smartly dressed is an excuse not to let you in. Pricks.
Bouncers will actively deny entry to people who are dressed like chavs or wearing chavvy brand clothes these days. its like back in the day when you used to get turned away from decent boozers if you were wearing clothes associated with football hooligans.
Last edited by Jazz Maverick on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 am

Or had frayed bottoms on your jeans or wore trainers.

The youth of today have it too easy gaining entry to boozers now!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!