The Hub

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Hub

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Didn't look like nothing a chavv, I don't go to town wearing Jeans! Had nothing to do with chavv branded clothing aswell.

Didn't realise wearing a Jeff Banks trousers and a shirt from Bank Clothing are chavvy clothes nowa-days?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Andy, invest in a quality classicly styled suit mate.

They may think you're undercover dibble or have pots of cash to spend.

I've never been turned away whilst wearing one.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I'd like to start wearing a full on suit for a night out aswell :lol:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm

You'd get in a nite klub!

Sartorial elegance hides many faults. Looking trendy or cool doesn't!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:My later years before I moved away was spent in the Glittering Star, not when it was a gay pub I add, is it still open?
I called into the Glittering Star a couple of years ago for old time's sake. I ordered 2 pints and the Barman said "that's £2.70". I then tried to explain that I wanted two pints, not one. I nearly collapsed when he told me that was the price for 2 pints.
Still a Sam smiths pub then :lol: used to get trousered in there for £20 and still have enough for a kebab on the way home, when I was a lad............

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Last time i was down town i got refused entry into inside out for wearing a Voi polo top, for starters Voi isn't a 'chavy' make, yet someone looking like something from one direction got in.

pretty much the only way of getting in is wearing a non branded top, Chinos (wouldn't be seen dead in them) or jeans that cuff in at the bottom with plimsolls.. if not they label everyone as a young chap!
Last edited by cameron-darlo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigbitchtits
Team Supported: Sunderland

Post by bigbitchtits » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm

cameron-darlo wrote:Last time i was down town i got refused entry into inside out for wearing a Voi polo top, for starters Voi isn't a 'chavy' make, yet someone looking like something from one direction got in.

pretty much the only way of getting in is wearing a non branded top, Chinos (wouldn't be seen dead in them) or jeans that cuff in at the bottom with plimsolls.. if not they label everyone as a young chap!
Scratter :lol:

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Funny that when I was a lad the north side of the town was the place to go, Blacketts, Zhivago`s, lucinda`s all so rammed full you had to queue for ages just to get in. I dont go in to town that often these days, but the best places to go are all now on the south side, places like The grange, Harveys, Joes, Hash, and the new Champagne bar.
Cant think of a worse night out than Yates, Tanners, Nags head all places were you will meet the Voi top and Ben Sherman crew.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Vio clothing is a young chap label. Its popular and loads of people where them.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Any clothing brand that produces jeans with cuffs on the bottom and jogging pants that hang off your backside, are young chap esk, Chavvy

Superdry Are also heading that way although I do have quite a few bits of their stuff.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 pm

I am a bit disappointed with the route superdry has gone down. Too many people now where that brand and we all look like superdry clones, just how many people now own a superdry windbreaker? I am one of them. Oh and I also have cuffed jeans, but then I am still young. I actually wore a voi jumper to work yesterday, went down well with the young uns.

Back to the town, can't understand what has happened, I used to be heaving, queues to get into humphreys after 11, and Yates was the place to be. Wouldn't dare step foot in the place now. Could it be that people's tastes have changed. These days most of us think we are better than what we are. I just go to william steads, the grange and Harvey's these days. Although I don't go out that often. People are also too cool to go out in Darlo and think heading off to yarm or Newcastle as being a better bet.

You used to go out and "do the route", haven't got a clue if anybody has a route anymore, which is maybe why these pubs all look empty. Yates, the Bowes, flares, humphreys, Route 66 if you're skint or staggering to 1ab on north road. Happy days.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am

The problems with town is when you have a bad night out you think “I’m not going back there again”, there are only so many places that you can say that to before you have nowhere to go. When one person decides they are not going into town they also reduce the chance of their friends going out so it has a snowball effect.

The club and bars are too quiet to be turning people away (unless they think you are a trouble maker) but they still do. I’ve been with a friend who was turned down for wearing the wrong make of t-shirt and on a separate occasion I have been turned down because I had a little logo on my polo shirt, when that happens it ruins your night and that of your friends so in future you decide to go to Newcastle and have an infinitely better night (for a similar amount of money) and it’s guaranteed not to be dead. It isn’t hard to see why town is so quiet.
As I said it’s a snowball effect, it’s quiet so people don’t enjoy themselves and don’t go out as often which makes it quieter and people don’t enjoy themselves even more etc etc etc.

I also think then economy could have effected people going to town either directly (not being able to afford to go) or indirectly (“my friends aren’t going out” or everywhere is so quiet it’s not worth going out).

p.s. Scott I hope I don’t see your jeans with cuffs …. I don’t think I’ll be able to hold back my laughter! As for being young enough for them I am early 20s and I would be seen in them!
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 am

I think there's alot more university goers nowadays who leave darlo at 18 and go out in cities where their uni is based, only to return in the holidays (Xmas particularly) but may decide to make Newcastle/Boro/Yarm the place to go as darlo is, as people have pointed out, dead.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 am

The nightlife is just in general, s*** in Darlo.

cameron-darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 am

Newcastle is defiantly the best place in the north east for a night out, the nightlife is absolutely brilliant.

couple of 'pre drinks' in Steads, go and get the train through to Newcastle at 10 ish, then work our way up to the Gate, First train back to Darlo, top notch!

Better than going into Darlo and getting refused Entry because you have a little Voi Logo on your top!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 am

Voi clothing is s***!

FACT!!

If I owned a boozer you wouldn't get in. I'd rather go bankrupt!

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 am

I bought some Voi swimming shorts for my holiday. Didnt really know what the fuck Voi was but thought they looked nice.

My girlfriend laughed at them, called me a chavvy northerner and told me to take them back :lol:

cameron-darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Voi clothing is s***!

FACT!!

i dont understand what people's problem is with Voi, there's nothing wrong with it :lol: its just a brand, like adidas, nike, etc... people should be told what they can and cannot wear.. a standard pair of Voi jeans costs around £60, yet most places don't allow you in, yet you're allowed in with a £10 pair of Chinos. fuck that.

Don't understand why people are labelled as chavs if they were it.. Chavs don't wear makes like Voi! :lol:

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:32 am

cameron-darlo wrote:

FACT!!

i dont understand what people's problem is with Voi, there's nothing wrong with it :lol: its just a brand, like adidas, nike, etc... people should be told what they can and cannot wear.. a standard pair of Voi jeans costs around £60, yet most places don't allow you in, yet you're allowed in with a £10 pair of Chinos. fuck that.

Don't understand why people are labelled as chavs if they were it.. Chavs don't wear makes like Voi! :lol:
By assuming the cost of something = its level of class, you've pretty much set your stall out as being chavvy right away. Its got fuck all to do with price.

Yes, they're all just brands, but its how they're perceived and by extension how the bars/clubs want to be perceived. For example - Burberry, Aquascutum, Hackett all make pricey and good quality gear. Unfortunately, they got very much taken over by the townie/football culture, and therefore lost their status as fashionable, desirable clothes and instead became the mark of dickheads that no bar would want to let in.

The clothes themselves are no worse, its the demographics they're attached to that make the brand stand out as one you dont want in your venue. Voi is going the same way by all accounts.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am

Proper Burberry, a nice Burberry rain coat, is a very classy bit of gear, which no chavvy scrote could get close to affording.

It was the rip-off stuff with the Burberry check plastered all over it that signified "young chap", but I doubt much of it was actually Burberry.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 am

Spyman wrote:Proper Burberry, a nice Burberry rain coat, is a very classy bit of gear, which no chavvy scrote could get close to affording.

It was the rip-off stuff with the Burberry check plastered all over it that signified "young chap", but I doubt much of it was actually Burberry.
Aye, but whether the gear they were wearing was fake or not, the damage to the brand and an establishments view of people wearing it was already done.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Should I be concerned that I have no idea what 'voi' or 'young chaps' is?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 pm

fat tony wrote:Should I be concerned that I have no idea what 'voi' or 'young chaps' is?
"young chap" appears to be the auto-correct for "chav scrote"
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 pm

fat tony wrote:Should I be concerned that I have no idea what 'voi' or 'young chaps' is?
Me to, is the same as in the country where i live we have Hunter wellies and young farmers :lol:

cameron-darlo

Post by cameron-darlo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:
cameron-darlo wrote:

FACT!!

By assuming the cost of something = its level of class, you've pretty much set your stall out as being chavvy right away. Its got fuck all to do with price.

Yes, they're all just brands, but its how they're perceived and by extension how the bars/clubs want to be perceived. For example - Burberry, Aquascutum, Hackett all make pricey and good quality gear. Unfortunately, they got very much taken over by the townie/football culture, and therefore lost their status as fashionable, desirable clothes and instead became the mark of dickheads that no bar would want to let in.

The clothes themselves are no worse, its the demographics they're attached to that make the brand stand out as one you dont want in your venue. Voi is going the same way by all accounts.
Can't disagree with what you've said to be honest.. i just wish Clubs/bars wouldn't label everyone as a 'young chap' or Troublemakers because of what they're wearing, i wear Voi but i'm in no way either of those things, in my opinion people should be allowed to wear what they like, and if they were to cause trouble then the doormen step in, thats what they're paid for isn't it?, rather than not letting someone in because they have a tiny little logo on their top with is branded as 'chavvy'

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Most of these bouncers are steriod chavv's anyways!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm

AndyPark wrote:Didn't look like nothing a chavv, I don't go to town wearing Jeans! Had nothing to do with chavv branded clothing aswell.

Didn't realise wearing a Jeff Banks trousers and a shirt from Bank Clothing are chavvy clothes nowa-days?
Since when was wearing jeans chavvy? :lol:

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 am

Didn't say they was young chap, I said I wouldn't wear them to go to town in.

TheFriendlyFan

Post by TheFriendlyFan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Whenever my mates are back from uni we go out in Darlo and it's easy to get in anywhere just wearing jeans, T-shirt and dark colored trainers, i've personally never even been questioned about my clothing. There's also never any need to queue and hardly ever any people inside anywhere other than Steads.

I agree Darlo is a poor night out, but i really can't be arsed to go to Newcastle every time i want a night out. At least Darlo's cheap and easy to get to/about in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DarloFaithful

Post by DarloFaithful » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

cameron-darlo wrote:Newcastle is defiantly the best place in the north east for a night out, the nightlife is absolutely brilliant.

couple of 'pre drinks' in Steads, go and get the train through to Newcastle at 10 ish, then work our way up to the Gate, First train back to Darlo, top notch!

Better than going into Darlo and getting refused Entry because you have a little Voi Logo on your top!
I go to uni in newcastle so have a fair few experiences of nights out here, most of them great, none of them involving the Gate. When there are places like Digital, World Headquarters, TupTup and Perdu it fucking baffles me as to why anyone would step near the place. And if the last train back is before two it hardly seems worth it.