uefa's priorities

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

uefa's priorities

Post by Lawman3 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Niklas Bendtner - Fined 100,000 Euros for showing "Paddy Power" on the waistband of his pants after scoring a goal. Also banned for 1 match.

Russian Football Federation - Fined 30,000 Euros for fans throwing fireworks, displaying illicit banners and a fan invading the pitch v Poland (separate from incidents regarding fan behaviour v Czech Republic).

Not forgetting;
Croatian FA - in 2008, Fined £15,000 for fans directing racial abuse and monkey chants at Emile Heskey.

Serbian FA - in 2007, Fined £16,500 for continued racial abuse of England's black players by both fans and players throughout an under 21 game.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

lo36789

Re: uefa's priorities

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Unfortunately that is the way of the world...that PaddyPower moment could of in theory cost UEFA hundreds of millions of £ if they didn't stamp it out.

Money rules, unfortunately.

MB86DFC

uefa's priorities

Post by MB86DFC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 pm

How could it have cost them hundreds of millions?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm guessing that in typical lo12346 fashion he's over labouring the theory that companies would pay players to display their logos instead of paying uefa for billboards.

I doubt very much that players waistbands and under shirts are ever going to devalue uefas advertising capacity to any tangible extent.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Paddy Power are properly cheeky, for those who don’t know, Epi Taione, a Tongan Rugby Union player (who happened to spent a short time playing at Darlington Mowden Park) changed his name to Paddy Power during the 2007 rugby world cup.

I’m not sure if I think it’s just a bit of fun or if it’s just not cricket
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Paddy Power have undoubtedly got more publicity from UEFA taking action than they would have if nothing had been done.

I for one had no clue Bendtner had done anything until I read it in the news today, and I was watching the match in question.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Spyman wrote:Paddy Power have undoubtedly got more publicity from UEFA taking action than they would have if nothing had been done.

I for one had no clue Bendtner had done anything until I read it in the news today, and I was watching the match in question.
Same here. It's almost a Streisand effect similar to the one with the girl who had her school meals blog banned for a little while last week.

Amazing how often this sort of thing happens really - no-one has a clue something has happened until the body complaining about it makes it public knowledge.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm

i'll be honest - i know the value of the fine seems ridiculous given the severity of the crime but...

Bendtner is personally to blame it is specifically against the rules to do it, he must have gained financially (how much who knows) they can pin point a culprit and fine him. Why should he be allowed to make money when no other players can in a similar manner (but then what is so different about a name on ur underwear to wearing a Nike pair of boots/gloves etc. etc.).

I actually would probably have an issue if UEFA was issuing huge fines to FA's for crowd misdemeanour. At the end of the day a Football Association can only do so much. I feel like fines and other punishment should be suspended depending on the action they are seen to be taking against the individuals who are the culprits. I don't really think fines solve the problem directly they just cost more innocent people more money in theory.

You also have to fine to an amount that is in keeping with the wealth of who you are punishing...I know the FAs will have a decent cash reserve but really FAs are funded by their population...497 euros is the average monthly salary in serbia...how does that compare with Bendtners probable £200,000 per month!? If you are going to fine it has to mean something!

Russia were given suspended 6 point penalty from next Euro qualifiers as well weren't they for their first instance and then they had the second incident.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 am

I'd be amazed if PaddyPower haven't paid the fine for him, what with the amount of extra publicity they're received from him being punished.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

aveda

Post by aveda » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Going off on a tangent, why are bookies' ads on the telly so bad ? The current ones for Ladbrokes, Paddy Power and the usual Bet365 ones are horrendous.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:32 pm

off topic for a moment, does anyone remember Robbie Savage once getting a huge fine for having a shite in the referees toilet???
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:42 pm

aveda wrote:Going off on a tangent, why are bookies' ads on the telly so bad ? The current ones for Ladbrokes, Paddy Power and the usual Bet365 ones are horrendous.
I like all of them, Grandad.

Actually, the bet3656 - not bad Raymondo - advert is starting to annoy me, but I enjoy doing a Ray impression when it comes on, getting louder and louder and swearing more and more as the advert goes on.

"Bet in play NAAAAAA you SLAG or I'll come round your 'ouse and do your kneecaps in with my baseball bat. BET NAAAAAA"

DC