Interesting article on Rangers "newco"

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wishmaster3211
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Interesting article on Rangers "newco"

Post by wishmaster3211 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Thats a "No" then. Over half of it goes to the Old Firm. However it wont if Rangers get a big points deduction.

Quite honestly, the SPL is a bit if a joke, most mid ranking Chairmen arent willing to risk their cosy existences to challenge the big two. Hibs are renowned for being debt free. But then if you pay Conference wages on 11000 gates it does tend to be hard to compete when, well, pretty much anyone comes knocking....

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 pm

I can only see the new club staying in the SPL but with major point deductions (20 to 30 pts) for 2 or 3 seasons. That way they are seen to be punished and the TV money should remain similar.

Rangers fans I’ve spoke to have said they would rather be relegated to the 3rd division than have this happen but they are too big to be relegated that far (and maybe at all).

The way the money is distributed is just not fair so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that change in the future. Also I believe when the clubs are voting on issues if two votes go against the rest then the motion is not passed, which basically means if all the clubs other than Celtic and Rangers agree the money should be distributed evenly then it won’t happen.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes, that sounds about right. So if they were demoted that cosy duopoly would be broken and the others would be able to renegotiate the TV deal. However the deal itself would be much much smaller and the other clubs lack any sort of ambition to compete with the Old Firm. As i said Hibs got into second place for a while a few years ago, then lost all their best players to the Old Firm. Some of those players were on utter peanuts given their average gate. Really good players like Rob Jones then disappeared into the lower levels of the English League after Mowbray left and were still on more money.

CSJambo
Team Supported: Heart of Midlothian

Post by CSJambo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Vlad probrably would. Then again Vlad has been very outspoken against Rangers and Celtic (when you figure out what he means).

Saying that the highest attendance at both Tynie and Easter Road this season and last where both clubs other than the Old Firm, along with St Mirren in 2010-11, and Dundee Utd in 2011-12

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 pm

the other clubs lack any sort of ambition to compete with the Old Firm
Not really a fair statement given the revenue streams, gates of Motherwell for example at 5-6k, and old firm at 45-50k.
Saying that the highest attendance at both Tynie and Easter Road this season and last where both clubs other than the Old Firm, along with St Mirren in 2010-11, and Dundee Utd in 2011-12
The only 2 clubs in the SPL with stable/slight growth in gates over the last few years play in Edinburgh.

CSJambo

Post by CSJambo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 pm

wellindarlo wrote: The only 2 clubs in the SPL with stable/slight growth in gates over the last few years play in Edinburgh.
Hibs have been dropping as well. So only one team.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 pm

you are probably right, I don't have last seasons numbers yet

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Thats due to the lack of ambition and the fact that the Old Firm are stifling competition.

Every time anyone has a few decent players they just get bought, often in questionable manner halfway through the season, by one of the big two. You can see that these fees and wages were now a form of financial doping.

However, Hibs wages were so pitiful for club with 11,000 gates its just making fans despondent. There is no effort made to keep players or compete with the big two, under Mowbray and mcL*** at least they tried to beat them.

Mowbray and Collins both got pissed off with the pitiful wages they were told to offer players. Collins could have really built the club but was basically pushed out over this issue. This is not because they have no money, just that they wont spend it.

The story is probably similar at a lower level at some of the other sides. I worked with a Kilmarnock fan and he was desperate for the Old Firm to leave the SPL, and claimed their gates would go up by several thousand the moment it happened!

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:03 pm

DarloBear wrote:Go for it - give us a 3 year sabbatical in the lower leagues - be nowt to beat when we come back to the skint SPL for title 55 in 3 years time! Lots of big talk from fans of tiny clubs such as M'Well, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd who see this as a chance to humiliate Rangers. Could be an expensive humiliation for those fans when their clubs slide further into debt and they end up in the same mess. Thankfully some chairmen such as Kilmarnock's have a brain and see the bigger picture. When attendances for most clubs are so small the income received from sponsorship and TV becomes even more vital and that is the key to this whole equation. What hand will they want to play......their choice. Our club motto is 'Ready' and that is what I'm sure we will be for whatever the future holds. WATP.
http://www.kfcsa.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... 606121.pdf

Not if their fans have a say.

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:56 pm

The SPL fans bandwagon rolls on - I hope all the SPL turkeys enjoy their Christmas! :D

Enjoy the moment, it won't last and there will be a high price to pay afterwards.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Rangers will be playing in the SPL next season
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/sky- ... nM-;_ylv=3
@George_S96

CSJambo

Post by CSJambo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:Rangers will be playing in the SPL next season
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/sky- ... nM-;_ylv=3
According to Sky on twitter that is NOT the case.
Anyway the SPL will cease to exist by next season and have been merged back with the SFL, rumours have it this is due to the way the Chairman and sidekick's handling over this scenario and the SFA have had enough to force them to remerge.

Also neither newco or Dundee are going to be included in Mondays fixture list.

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 am

Would that be a good thing then? I feel some change is needed but only if its real change. I've always thought the biggest weakness of Scottish football is the small division sizes. Even when i watched Meadowbank turn about with Hibs there were teams you didn't want to see THEM play twice. So many meaningless, repetitive fixtures in a country with plenty of clubs....simply HAS to affect gates.

CSJambo

Post by CSJambo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:45 pm

wishmaster3211 wrote:Even when i watched Meadowbank turn about with Hibs there were teams you didn't want to see THEM play twice. So many meaningless, repetitive fixtures in a country with plenty of clubs....simply HAS to affect gates.
The fans preferred format is either a league of 16 (with a round robin league cup) or 18.

There are some good teams in SFL1, and you don't normally see them go up and then down again in the same season.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm

And the no's have it - Inverness, Hibernian, Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen and St Johnstone all confirming the way they will vote on the 4th July. Rangers now have to apply to the SFA&SFL to play in the SFL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18577192

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 pm

They are really in a mess arent they?

Any minute now I expect them to turn up at the Arena with Raj's Football share. Would "Darlington Rangers" be distinct enough??

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm

wishmaster3211 wrote:They are really in a mess arent they?

Any minute now I expect them to turn up at the Arena with Raj's Football share. Would "Darlington Rangers" be distinct enough??
Ah ha!
So that was why we had to change our name....

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm

How can the chairman take legal action against the players who havent transfered there contracts to the new co?
@George_S96

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:How can the chairman take legal action against the players who havent transfered there contracts to the new co?
I thought the newco had to TUPE the contracts? Or did we just choose to do so?
COME ON DARLO!

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
Darlo_George_96 wrote:How can the chairman take legal action against the players who havent transfered there contracts to the new co?
Scottish law is different to English law so there may well be a significant difference in how TUPE works.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm

The_Ponderer wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote:
Scottish law is different to English law so there may well be a significant difference in how TUPE works.
Isn't TUPE under EU law?
COME ON DARLO!

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 pm

@Mike,
This is getting very complicated now :shock:
Not sure TBH, I work for a multi-national company and we have had to suffer TUPE a bit over the years and different rules do seem to apply in different companies.
Not sure how much EU law the UK has signed up to and, again, not sure how much Scots law differs.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

The_Ponderer wrote:@Mike,
This is getting very complicated now :shock:
Not sure TBH, I work for a multi-national company and we have had to suffer TUPE a bit over the years and different rules do seem to apply in different companies.
Not sure how much EU law the UK has signed up to and, again, not sure how much Scots law differs.
I'm sure we will find out soon as Rangers are threatening to sue some players for walking away I gather? More twists and turns to come I'm sure.
COME ON DARLO!

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 pm

8 key players are now wanting to leave.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 pm

wellindarlo wrote:8 key players are now wanting to leave.
Cant blame them. Understand why they want to leave
@George_S96

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Kyle Lafferty on the move! Now, I wonder....

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:18 pm

I thought it was Laugherty.

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 pm

...well I 'll be laughing if he makes a return! :lol:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 pm

MikeinBlack wrote:
They do have to TUPE the contracts but the employees are within their rights to refuse and break the contract. Obviously none of the players here would as they were depending on the money that they were owed from the contract. Those that have decided to leave Rangers can probably afford to be without pay for a couple of months while they get fixed up at another SPL team rather than drop to the SFL and also pick up a bigger wage due to no transfer fee. Our lot were free on 1st July anyway so it was a no brainer, there would only have really been McReady who may have rejected it.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:07 am

Darlo_George_96 wrote:
wellindarlo wrote:8 key players are now wanting to leave.
Cant blame them. Understand why they want to leave
For me the best of the 3 big names we loaned (Kyle, lafferty and graham)