Rolling Euro 2012 thread

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rolling Euro 2012 thread

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:35 am

The only thing Portugal seem to be missing is a top class striker. As it stands though, Ronaldo seems to have turned up, so they don't really need one at the moment! A Spain v Portugal semi could be interesting. Spain with all the possession, but with Ronaldo and Nani, Portugal could do some damage!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:34 am

of course ronaldo is the key man i don't think that was ever in question...i think anyone that is in the top 2 players in the world you would expect him to be a key man for his country!

Portugal are missing a lot more than a top striker...they need a centre midfield, a right back, a goalkeeper and a centre back...Portugal managed to win 1-0 against a Czech Republic side who seemed to be playing for a 0-0 draw and penalties - I wouldn't be tipping them as winners unless I see a bit more from them in their next match!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:29 am

lo36789 wrote:of course ronaldo is the key man i don't think that was ever in question...i think anyone that is in the top 2 players in the world you would expect him to be a key man for his country!

Portugal are missing a lot more than a top striker...they need a centre midfield, a right back, a goalkeeper and a centre back...Portugal managed to win 1-0 against a Czech Republic side who seemed to be playing for a 0-0 draw and penalties - I wouldn't be tipping them as winners unless I see a bit more from them in their next match!
The only reason they didn't win by more was because they missed a hat full of chances! i.e. they could do with a very good striker.

Of course all areas of the team could be improved, but a CM of Veloso, Moutinho and Meireles is good. Joao Pereira is a decent enough RB. The GK has his moments, but isn't bad. I maintain that if they had a top quality striker they would be a force to be reckoned with. As it is they rely a bit too much on Ronaldo to pull them through, and if he has an off day they will struggle to score. If he plays well then they can beat anybody.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Remember Ian Butterworth? Apparently he's doing the scouting for the Italy game... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro20 ... Italy.html

I can remember Hodgy saying that he was really ambitious and wanted to go far in coaching. Sounds like he's done quite well for himself.

Also from that article... it's difficult to take the Daily Mail seriously at the best of times, but can anyone make sense of this passage...
At times during a training session, Hodgson will direct a player much like a Grandmaster moves a chess piece. It will be slow and precise, such is the England manager's meticulous approach; his attention to detail.

As well as his coaching drills, he will surprise his players by calling them together to tell a joke now and again.

The other day he told the fable of the scorpion and the frog; of how a scorpion persuades a frog to carry him across a river by pointing out that they will both drown if he stings him. Except that the scorpion does sting the frog and with his last breath, paralysis setting in, the frog asks why. 'It's my nature,' says the scorpion before they both slip beneath the surface of the water.

The point? The players were laughing too much to digest what Hodgson was saying. But right now it remains in England's nature to play a certain way and their boss is sticking to that plan.
Hard to tell if they're trying to take the piss out of Hodgson or not!

Darlo4eva2012

Post by Darlo4eva2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Did you know? Roy Hodgson took Fulham to the Europa Cup Final where they knocked out Ukrainians in Donetsk, beat Italians in the next round, defeated Germans in the Semis before losing to a Spanish side in the Final

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:39 pm

So the Germans await us in the semis if we beat Italy.

At least they will beat us long before penalties are required.
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18554699

The French players are fighting amongst themselves again so I'd be surprised if Spain didn't win tomorrow.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:52 pm

I know it was only a two goal margin in the end, but fuck me the Germans look good. They just never fluff their lines, completely clinical.

I can see us having a decent chance against Italy. I reckon we could beat Spain if we 'did a chelsea' and shut their passing game down. But Germany? I don't see a single chance that we could beat them, they're just such a good tournament team.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 pm

One position this tournament has really excelled in is left back - philip lahm, cole and cointreau. Lahm is one of my favourite players of all time. Never see him hurried.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 am

princes town wrote:One position this tournament has really excelled in is left back - philip lahm, cole and cointreau. Lahm is one of my favourite players of all time. Never see him hurried.
There've also been some shocking left back performances though - Kadlec vs Russia and Holebas against the Czechs spring to mind.

I agree about Germany, although it would be interesting if one of Hummels and Badstuber got injured and Die Abwehrlatte was forced into action. It is saying something though when someone as talented as Mario Götze has barely had a look in yet.

princes town

Post by princes town » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am

The young dutch left back Willems was a bit dodgy as well

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:I know it was only a two goal margin in the end, but fuck me the Germans look good. They just never fluff their lines, completely clinical.

I can see us having a decent chance against Italy. I reckon we could beat Spain if we 'did a chelsea' and shut their passing game down. But Germany? I don't see a single chance that we could beat them, they're just such a good tournament team.
I agree Germany look the best of the bunch - but they missed plenty of great chances last night.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Is Ronaldo the only player to ever change his hair style at half time?
@George_S96

princes town

Post by princes town » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18554699

The French players are fighting amongst themselves again so I'd be surprised if Spain didn't win tomorrow.
AS you predicted. They are a complete disgrace. the Gallic temperament is something else. Who was that clown at the end of the game asking for Alonso's shirt. Gotta admit Jamie Carragher is starting to impress me with his comments.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Spyman wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:I know it was only a two goal margin in the end, but fuck me the Germans look good. They just never fluff their lines, completely clinical.

I agree Germany look the best of the bunch - but they missed plenty of great chances last night.
They put away some pretty tasty ones too! Not even in top gear and they never looked like they would do anything other than comfortably beat a dogged greece side, even at 1-1.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Right all, another gauranteed non-loss tomorrow thanks to bet365.

£50 on England to win pre-match.
£50 in-play on the draw (put the bet on as soon as kicked off)
£50 on Ladbrokes (or other) on Italy.

A draw will be the only result that doesn't see a profit (but you'll break even on current odds of 2/1). A win in 90 mins either way will give about £35 profit.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Spyman wrote:Right all, another gauranteed non-loss tomorrow thanks to bet365.

£50 on England to win pre-match.
£50 in-play on the draw (put the bet on as soon as kicked off)
£50 on Ladbrokes (or other) on Italy.

A draw will be the only result that doesn't see a profit (but you'll break even on current odds of 2/1). A win in 90 mins either way will give about £35 profit.
Decent offer that. If England qualify tonight (any method) then I get £120 back as I put a tenner on Portugal to win, Germany to win -1, Spain to win, and England to qualify.

But I might use that offer to increase my winnings a bit. Initial £10 on England and draw double chance (safe bet so, as long as England avoid defeat, I gain an extra £4). Free in play bet on something more risky, such as Rooney to score first and England to win at 8/1.

But then Italy winning in 90 mins fucks all of that up! :lol:

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Congratulations on your prediction about the Greeks DOTU.

See I can be nice to you :)
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 pm

im on bet365 to, but never seen a game where its been even across the board, england/draw and italy all 15/8 even the correct scores are the same. that doesnt happen often.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Whats the odds on Balotelli to score 1st and to get sent off. Not both to happen just sepperate odds
@George_S96

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:55 pm

cant log in right now,saying my login details are wrong but they are not, wonder if the sites got a glitch im guessing itll be busy tonight

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm

quakerray wrote:cant log in right now,saying my login details are wrong but they are not, wonder if the sites got a glitch im guessing itll be busy tonight
Same here, absolute joke really.

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 pm

yeah, gt everyone to get the bets on and screw up the in play free bet

sites down due to maintainance

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Try now mate, my login worked finally.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Congratulations on your prediction about the Greeks DOTU.
Seems I was right about Hodgson as well. Worst England performance I've ever witnessed. I actually feel embarrassed to be an England fan after that horrific showing.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:34 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Congratulations on your prediction about the Greeks DOTU.
Seems I was right about Hodgson as well. Worst England performance I've ever witnessed. I actually feel embarrassed to be an England fan after that horrific showing.
Oh fuck off DOTU :lol:

I always assumed you don't actually watch much football but that corker proves it.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Oh fuck off DOTU :lol:

I always assumed you don't actually watch much football but that corker proves it.
What is incorrect about my statement exactly?

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Well there you go then, outclassed in the end but not disgraced IMO, we had our chances but beaten by the best team, can't argue with that if I'm being fair

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Nothings wrong about it, it just shows you havent watched England play at an international tournament in the last 8 years.

A more realistic opinion being shown by DL5 I see, and all of the media reports I've seen so far. But I'm sure your hysterically OTT reaction is right.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:Nothings wrong about it, it just shows you havent watched England play at an international tournament in the last 8 years.

A more realistic opinion being shown by DL5 I see, and all of the media reports I've seen so far. But I'm sure your hysterically OTT reaction is right.
I have watched England at every major tournament since '98. So it doesn't show anything in that respect. It DOES show, however, how inept tonight really was. We were decent for the first half hour then pathetic after that, and it isn't even a particularly strong Italian side.

Yet we made them look like world-beaters.