England squad - who would you take?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England squad - who would you take?

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Don't know how anybody who watched James Walshaw this season could ever suggest Ricky Lambert for England stepping up a level isn't easy.

This may just be a stigma I have attached to Ricky Lambert, but how many penalties has he scored this season?

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed May 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Exactly, and for it to have any chance of working ( stepping up a level and remaining a success) it usually helps to have been in a side that has stepped up together, i.e Grant Holt, or Kev Phillips when he was at Sunderland.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 pm

I read today that in the last 2 seasons, Downing has the second highest number of assists for England. Perhaps that is the reason why he has been picked.

Butland is a slightly strange one. I know he's really highly rated. However, you'd think Stockdale or Carson would be chosen as the back up. Although the chances of the 4th choice keeper having to play are pretty slim!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:25 pm

what has happened to Joe Lewis these days?

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

The reason Butland is back up is because even if he does have to go he won't play and it will be a good experience for him
@George_S96

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:The reason Butland is back up is because even if he does have to go he won't play and it will be a good experience for him
Its still a complete joke tho.
We are talking someone whos been playing in league 2 FFS

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed May 16, 2012 8:23 pm

al_quaker wrote:I read today that in the last 2 seasons, Downing has the second highest number of assists for England. Perhaps that is the reason why he has been picked.

Butland is a slightly strange one. I know he's really highly rated. However, you'd think Stockdale or Carson would be chosen as the back up. Although the chances of the 4th choice keeper having to play are pretty slim!

I can remember 5 years or so back when John Ruddy was 4th choice at Everton and had to play a couple of games :oops:

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:38 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:
Darlo_George_96 wrote:The reason Butland is back up is because even if he does have to go he won't play and it will be a good experience for him
Yeah but apparently he's the next big thing
@George_S96

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed May 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:
davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:
Yeah but apparently he's the next big thing

So was Chris Kirkland :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:So was Chris Kirkland
To be fair to Chris Kirkland he was a very good goalkeeper if it wasn't for his injuries, when he was fit for Wigan he kept them in games and in the Premier League really!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 17, 2012 7:20 am

I see Carrick is not in the squad because he 'doesn't want to be a bit-part player'.

What is it with these not quite good enough players? If you're in the squad and not in the team, work hard and force yourself in. It should be an honour to get in the squad at all, yet we have these players thinking they are too good to only play a bit here and there. Also a bit insulting to his colleagues who have earned their place.

Robinson, Carragher, Carrick - the lot of them can fuck off.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 am

I can understand Robinson quitting. He was England's most consistent GK for many years, but let in a couple of freak goals, had a bad start to the season, was villified by the media and was chucked right on the scrap heap. He's been immense recently in a s*** team but never got a sniff again, so agree he should tell England to fuck off.

The rest of them, yeah, they can go fuck themselves. I never understood the logic of retiring from England national team when you're not getting picked. You're not in the squad guys, you dont need to retire!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 17, 2012 9:12 am

Even so with Robinson, stick it out, fight your way back. If you're not picked, you're not picked, but when the call comes, take the opportunity.

Scholes, Shearer and anyone else of that ilk that feels they've given there all and want to prolong their club career - I'm fine with that. They've made their contribution. But don't 'retire' because you're not good enough.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 am

I disagree about the not good enough bit though. Since Robinson was dropped and Harts emergence the England national team has fannied about with Scott Carson, Rob Green and David James. Two liabilities and a well past it back-up-man.

Robinson was by far the best option, even after he was dropped. He was just the victim of the British media's need for a scapegoat after the farcical goal in Croatia and Spurs bad start to the following season. I would have told England to go fuck themselves, stick the diplomatic 'ive retired' line up their arse.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:03 am

Jazz Maverick wrote:I disagree about the not good enough bit though. Since Robinson was dropped and Harts emergence the England national team has fannied about with Scott Carson, Rob Green and David James. Two liabilities and a well past it back-up-man.

Robinson was by far the best option, even after he was dropped. He was just the victim of the British media's need for a scapegoat after the farcical goal in Croatia and Spurs bad start to the following season. I would have told England to go fuck themselves, stick the diplomatic 'ive retired' line up their arse.
Fair point.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:23 am

Jazz Maverick wrote:Robinson was by far the best option, even after he was dropped. He was just the victim of the British media's need for a scapegoat after the farcical goal in Croatia and Spurs bad start to the following season. I would have told England to go fuck themselves, stick the diplomatic 'ive retired' line up their arse.
I agree to an extent but it was just the manager that decides the team/squad thats who he should have the issue with.

Back then he should have been number 1 (so maybe rightly had a problem and walked), right now he should be 2nd choice and if were offered that should he not come back?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 am

lo36789 wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:Robinson was by far the best option, even after he was dropped. He was just the victim of the British media's need for a scapegoat after the farcical goal in Croatia and Spurs bad start to the following season. I would have told England to go fuck themselves, stick the diplomatic 'ive retired' line up their arse.
I agree to an extent but it was just the manager that decides the team/squad thats who he should have the issue with.

Back then he should have been number 1 (so maybe rightly had a problem and walked), right now he should be 2nd choice and if were offered that should he not come back?
Thats the issue though lo, its not really just the manager who decides the team. The media has a ridiculous influence on the England manager in this country, it would have been career suicide to keep picking Robinson once the media decided he should go.

I imagine it was more a case of Robinson saying fuck you to the establishment, more than the England national team itself. He wasnt even getting in the squad, snubbed in favour of players who were liabilities at club and national level. He'd be a hypocrite to come back now, I'd respect him more for sticking to his guns.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:44 am

It only matters if Hart gets injured I suppose. In my opinion though Ruddy has been as good as Robinson this season if not better so long as he gets the nod above Green then i'd accept that.

I have never even heard of this other lad though, I thought Alex Smithies was the 'next big thing' in goalkeeper terms.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 am

lo36789 wrote:It only matters if Hart gets injured I suppose. In my opinion though Ruddy has been as good as Robinson this season if not better so long as he gets the nod above Green then i'd accept that.

I have never even heard of this other lad though, I thought Alex Smithies was the 'next big thing' in goalkeeper terms.
He dosent even get a game a Huddersfield these days
@George_S96

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Smithies has had trouble with injuries over the last couple of seasons.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Well I reckon I should go, just because it'll be good experience for me. I can bring back my experience to my 5 a side team. Idiot.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 17, 2012 2:10 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Well I reckon I should go, just because it'll be good experience for me. I can bring back my experience to my 5 a side team. Idiot.
What's with all the hostility towards George, Andy?

Is it because you think you've found someone stupider than you? Maybe you feel that even you can get one up on him, an easy target if you will?

Either way, it's misplaced, because I can inform you that you are still the thickest, biggest waste of space to grace the land.
Last edited by Jazz Maverick on Thu May 17, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Soz Mr Hardman!

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:56 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Seeing as your so intelligent why don't you explain why we have a teenager who has been playing in league 2 as our back up keeper?
@George_S96

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu May 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:I can understand Robinson quitting. He was England's most consistent GK for many years, but let in a couple of freak goals, had a bad start to the season, was villified by the media and was chucked right on the scrap heap. He's been immense recently in a s*** team but never got a sniff again, so agree he should tell England to fuck off.

The rest of them, yeah, they can go fuck themselves. I never understood the logic of retiring from England national team when you're not getting picked. You're not in the squad guys, you dont need to retire!
Robinson isn't that good like. He's a decent Premiership goalkeeper but not as good as you're making out.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:I can understand Robinson quitting. He was England's most consistent GK for many years, but let in a couple of freak goals, had a bad start to the season, was villified by the media and was chucked right on the scrap heap. He's been immense recently in a s*** team but never got a sniff again, so agree he should tell England to fuck off.

Robinson isn't that good like. He's a decent Premiership goalkeeper but not as good as you're making out.
Robinson was the most capable England keeper since Seaman and until Hart. Given his peers in this time were mainly Carson, Green and James this isn't saying too much, but the fact remains he was replaced by inferior players partly because of the medias near consistent desire to have a scapegoat.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 pm

David James, while capable of some howlers, was a much under-rated keeper. I'd say he was as adequate a keeper as Robinson (also capable of some howlers, as most keepers are, except me).

DC

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 am

Spyman wrote:David James, while capable of some howlers, was a much under-rated keeper. I'd say he was as adequate a keeper as Robinson (also capable of some howlers, as most keepers are, except me).
I notice James was kept out of the team by Dean Gerken at the end last season, you don't appreciate the calibre of player we've had in the past until afterwards

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 am

DL5 wrote:
Spyman wrote:David James, while capable of some howlers, was a much under-rated keeper. I'd say he was as adequate a keeper as Robinson (also capable of some howlers, as most keepers are, except me).
I notice James was kept out of the team by Dean Gerken at the end last season, you don't appreciate the calibre of player we've had in the past until afterwards
I dunno, I think it was pretty widely accepted that Gerken was a class act during the few games he had with us. Reminded me of Andy Lonerghan when we had him.

DC

DarloFaithful

Post by DarloFaithful » Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 pm

There really is a disproportionate number of Liverpool players in the squad, here i was thinking they'd had a s*** season.

I can just about fathom Carroll's inclusion but Downing being in is ridiculous. Pleased Chamberlain has made the cut, if a little surprised. Defoe's inclusion came as a shock and i'd have taken Jagielka, probably in place of Terry.

Overall, pretty standard.