England squad - who would you take?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloOnTheUp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England squad - who would you take?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:UH OH ....looks like Lampards crocked :thumbdown:

The mighty Jordan Henderson :lol: :lol: :lol: awaits a call up from the stand by list if Lamps dont make it :thumbdown:
People bang on about calling up the young players, but Henderson is one of them! Yet because of one indifferent season everyone is on his back all the time all of a sudden.

Give him a fucking chance. He's only young still and still developing. He has a LOT of potential. Anyone who does not see this does not know what they are talking about.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm

International tournaments aren't really places for players with 'potential' though.

You'd like to think we, the mighty England, would have enough established international grade players going into a tournament.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm

They have lost 2 in 2 days though Jazz !

This would be the time to call on Carrick if he hadn't spat his dummy out.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed May 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Spyman wrote:You're a big Lampard fan. I think he's a very good player who can change a game, but I think his role should now be one largely from the bench where he can bring some experience and discipline in the latter stages of games.

For the first two games, I'd happily see Gerrard pushed up behind Carroll (assuming he gets the nod over Wellbeck, who I prefer, or Defoe), with Lampard sitting next to Scotty P.
How can you not be a fan of a guy who has played at the top level for 10 or so seasons been a 20 goal a season box to box man for most of that time and has now re invented himself into a Paul Scholes type midfield general ?

The dislike of the bloke and lack of respect for his ability amazes me to be honest.

Heres a one for you, during the whole Lampard / Gerrard debate SG was always the one who was shunted around, is that because Gerrard is the better all round player and therefore can be more effective away from his favoured position, or is it because a succession of England managers actually thought that Lampard is/ was better as the attacking midfielder, therefore SG needed to move ?

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:International tournaments aren't really places for players with 'potential' though.

You'd like to think we, the mighty England, would have enough established international grade players going into a tournament.
Bit harsh. We've lost two players from the same position just before a tournament (if Lampard's scan indeed proves this to be the case). Plus Carrick has spat his dummy out.

Also, the likes of Wilshere and Rodwell are injured too. So that's five players from the same position; all of whom are excellent players.

Yet "the mighty England" still have plenty of players to choose from: I wouldn't say we're struggling, despite all the drop-outs from one position. I would actually put Cleverley ahead of Henderson but never mind: they're both good prospects who would benefit by gaining some tournament experience.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Lampard out, Henderson in.

Shame as Lampard has been very good towards the end of the season. I think Henderson will develop into a good player. However, it's probably a bit early for him. Quite a weak looking midfield now:

Half fit Parker (hopefully he'll be OK by the time the Euros come round), Gerrard who's not been in great form recently, Henderson, and I suppose Jones and Milner. Hmmm...

As long as Gerrard and Parker stay fit it should be OK.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 pm

I bet Carrick is kicking himself now. Serves him right. He's paid all that money but spat his dummy out because he wasn't seen as first choice. Oh boo fucking hoo. My heart aches for you.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Thu May 31, 2012 6:43 pm

There has been talk of him geting over an achillies strain mate, so he may not have been available anyway.

So the big question is 4231 with Jones / Milner as the 2nd holder or 4411/ 4141 with Parker alone as the deeper midfielder ?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 31, 2012 10:37 pm

4231 with Gerrard and Parker sitting, one a little deeper than the other, and Young/Rooney playing off Carroll/Wellbeck.

Although based on Saturday, it will be more of a 442/4411.

Forget Carrick, Scholes is the man we really needed to come out of international retirement. Parker to win the ball, give it to Scholes to distribute. BOOM!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:55 pm

I see England's prolific abject failure has even made it onto the cover of the next Time Magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/pacific ... 11,00.html

And we haven't even played the tournament yet :lol:

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Spyman wrote:4231 with Gerrard and Parker sitting, one a little deeper than the other, and Young/Rooney playing off Carroll/Wellbeck.

Although based on Saturday, it will be more of a 442/4411.

Forget Carrick, Scholes is the man we really needed to come out of international retirement. Parker to win the ball, give it to Scholes to distribute. BOOM!
I would have loved to have seen Shoalzy/the Little Fella back in an England shirt, but would he still have the legs for tournament football?

Wouldn't mind seeing Milner in midfield, as he's got the discipline to do a variety of jobs as well as decent ball skillz. His acne seems to have cleared up these days too.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 am

Just heard on the radio that the FA are hopeful that Gary Cahill hasent cracked his jaw and hopeful that John Terry's hamstring problem won't keep him out of the Euros. Why are we getting so many injuries?
@George_S96

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Because we are England it's what we do best.

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Cahill out, another average liverpool player called up to replace him.
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

Notts_Quaker

Post by Notts_Quaker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Bizza wrote:Cahill out, another average liverpool player called up to replace him.
Micha Richards would've been a better choice to replace him with.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Roy for me picked a pretty good squad, i'd of made very little changes, for instance Richards would of been in there from the start. But I'm losing faith in him already, some of his replacements have been dreadful, Kelly and Henderson are average in an average team and Jageilka is not a midfielder so he obviously plans to use Jones out of position, which is stupid. Terry and Lescott aren't a bad starting pair thankfully.

This does however prove that Ferdinand was left out for non-footballing reasons.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 pm

DFCAnth wrote:Roy for me picked a pretty good squad, i'd of made very little changes, for instance Richards would of been in there from the start. But I'm losing faith in him already, some of his replacements have been dreadful, Kelly and Henderson are average in an average team and Jageilka is not a midfielder so he obviously plans to use Jones out of position, which is stupid. Terry and Lescott aren't a bad starting pair thankfully.

This does however prove that Ferdinand was left out for non-footballing reasons.
:lol: two 1-0 wins, keeper not troubled in either game...... Only on a Darlo board

I quite like Micah Richards, but two fairly decent football managers have now swerved him for England, that should tell you that there is something wrong with his game that he needs to sort out.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
DFCAnth wrote:Roy for me picked a pretty good squad, i'd of made very little changes, for instance Richards would of been in there from the start. But I'm losing faith in him already, some of his replacements have been dreadful, Kelly and Henderson are average in an average team and Jageilka is not a midfielder so he obviously plans to use Jones out of position, which is stupid. Terry and Lescott aren't a bad starting pair thankfully.

:lol: two 1-0 wins, keeper not troubled in either game...... Only on a Darlo board

I quite like Micah Richards, but two fairly decent football managers have now swerved him for England, that should tell you that there is something wrong with his game that he needs to sort out.
Didn't he spit his dummy out as well as Carrick though? I think that's why he chose Kelly: because Richards decided to be a fanny.

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:

Didn't he spit his dummy out as well as Carrick though? I think that's why he chose Kelly: because Richards decided to be a fanny.
No he didnt he said he was disappointed not to be chosen and he would still try to get into the team in the future
@George_S96

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:50 pm

I still believe we can win, and I am happy with the results and performances... But his selections have been bemusing to say the least. Half the liverpool team is in there and they were rubbish this season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:

No he didnt he said he was disappointed not to be chosen and he would still try to get into the team in the future
He said he didn't want to be a standby for the Euros, but wasn't ruling himself out in the future.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote: No he didnt he said he was disappointed not to be chosen and he would still try to get into the team in the future
Yes he did. He refused to be on the standby list along with Carrick, which was fucking stupid as they both would have been called up by now.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:42 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Darlo_George_96 wrote: No he didnt he said he was disappointed not to be chosen and he would still try to get into the team in the future
Yes he did. He refused to be on the standby list along with Carrick, which was fucking stupid as they both would have been called up by now.
Carrick through in the towel when Capello was in charge, and as a result I don't think Hodgson even considered him.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

DC

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:11 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
When did he say he refused to be on the standby list? Carrick did yes but I cant find anything that says Richards did
@George_S96

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

That took me all of two seconds...
Viv Anderson has told talkSPORT that Micah Richards made a big mistake by refusing to go on England’s standby list for Euro 2012.

The Man City star decided against being on call after not making the cut for Roy Hodgson’s original 23-man squad but following injury to Gary Cahill, England have been forced to turn to Liverpool youngster Martin Kelly.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Darlo_George_96 wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
When did he say he refused to be on the standby list? Carrick did yes but I cant find anything that says Richards did
He told Stuart Pearce that he wouldn't be on the standby list.

I read an article in the Times this morning basically criticising Richards for his actions which were apparently motivated by Hodgson asking Pearce to make the phone call, saying it shouldn't matter to Richards who it is that asks him to be on the reserve list.

Funny how the media slated Capello for getting Baldini to have those sorts of conversations with players before the World Cup!

DC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Rio Ferdinand should never play for England again after his little hissy fit ...he aint good enough simple as .
Neither should Carrick or Richards after their arrogant stance