Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloOnTheUp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England squad - who would you take?

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri May 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:I can understand Robinson quitting. He was England's most consistent GK for many years, but let in a couple of freak goals, had a bad start to the season, was villified by the media and was chucked right on the scrap heap. He's been immense recently in a s*** team but never got a sniff again, so agree he should tell England to fuck off.

The rest of them, yeah, they can go fuck themselves. I never understood the logic of retiring from England national team when you're not getting picked. You're not in the squad guys, you dont need to retire!
Robinson isn't that good like. He's a decent Premiership goalkeeper but not as good as you're making out.
Robinson was the most capable England keeper since Seaman and until Hart. Given his peers in this time were mainly Carson, Green and James this isn't saying too much, but the fact remains he was replaced by inferior players partly because of the medias near consistent desire to have a scapegoat.
I agree about the media BTW.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 am

I see Ruddy has broken his finger. Means Butland is going to be called up.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 am

al_quaker wrote:I see Ruddy has broken his finger. Means Butland is going to be called up.
Butland, an 18 year old who has only played competitive football for Cheltenham Town goes to a major international tournament over a 26 year old who has played in both the Championship and the Premier League.

Either Woy has something against Stocky or was trying to appear clever. Here's hoping Hart manages the whole tournament as Green hardly inspires confidence either.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 am

Darlo_H wrote:
al_quaker wrote:I see Ruddy has broken his finger. Means Butland is going to be called up.
Butland, an 18 year old who has only played competitive football for Cheltenham Town goes to a major international tournament over a 26 year old who has played in both the Championship and the Premier League.

Either Woy has something against Stocky or was trying to appear clever. Here's hoping Hart manages the whole tournament as Green hardly inspires confidence either.
Although it is not beyond the realms of possibility, it is unlikely we'll have to use him and I suppose if he does have potential then it at least gives someone who is likely to be in the frame in 4-6 years time a bit of experience in case he needs to step up to the plate in the future. At least as it is, if Hart gets injured/suspened, we have an experienced keeper to step in.

But yeh, Stockdale must feel pretty low having been a pretty regular squad member and having worked with Hodgson at Fulham.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun May 27, 2012 10:02 pm

This is a Darlo thing though, Dave Watson who is the coach who brought on Hart rates Buclkand above Stocky.

So I would take his opinion over the views on this message board.

What it does say is that Roy doesn't rate Ray Clem's opinion as he ( RC) was known (under the fabio era) to not rate Rob Green and really rate Scott Carson !

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun May 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Stockdale really needs regular premiership football if he's to progress and get in some England squads. I think he's got the ability, but he's not getting enough football. A bit like Adam Johnson.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:19 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:Dave Watson who is the coach who brought on Hart rates Buclkand above Stocky.

So I would take his opinion over the views on this message board.
What about his view over the fact that Buckland played League Two football this year not Premier League football? No offence but if Buckland really was 'better' than Stockdale right now he wouldn't have been doing that this season. If he was that good he would have surely have at least been playing for Birmingham!

Buckland may be a better prospect I am not in a position to say otherwise but to dismiss anyones opinions on here because Dave Watson said is not a fair argument!

Stockdale right now the evidence suggests is a better goalkeeper than Buckland and is more ready for an international call up. Buckland might have played awesome against Torquay, Macclesfield and whoever...Stockdale had awesome games against Manchester United & Chelsea.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
Buckland may be a better prospect I am not in a position to say otherwise but to dismiss anyones opinions on here because Dave Watson said is not a fair argument!
Its a far more valid argument than the logic used by clueless keyboard know nowts like you.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 am

al_quaker wrote:Stockdale really needs regular premiership football if he's to progress and get in some England squads. I think he's got the ability, but he's not getting enough football. A bit like Adam Johnson.
And Butland's experience comes from League 2 alone. If Hodgson really wants League 2 experience then Stocky has plenty of that as well.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 am

I only saw the first half on Saturday. Thought we looked solid against unspectacular opposition. We didn't create much, but what we did create seemed to come largely through Downing on the left. This shocked me, but hopefully he can show a bit more to justify his inclusion.

Jagielka will have done his chances no harm, and it looks like he's favourite to step in if Barry doesn't make it.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 28, 2012 11:58 am

Spyman wrote:I only saw the first half on Saturday. Thought we looked solid against unspectacular opposition. We didn't create much, but what we did create seemed to come largely through Downing on the left. This shocked me, but hopefully he can show a bit more to justify his inclusion.

Jagielka will have done his chances no harm, and it looks like he's favourite to step in if Barry doesn't make it.
Yes but do we really need another centre back? No. I know Jagielka CAN play in that defensive midfield role but he's primarily a centre back and that is where he excels. Carrick would be perfect; in fact, he should have been chosen ahead of Barry. But by spitting his dummy out I fear he's no longer an option.

I would even prefer Henderson over another centre-back-who-can-also-play-in-the-defensive-midfield-position. Although saying that, Jones is probably better in that position than he is at the back, so perhaps he could take Barry's starting place and Jagielka merely covers.

I would be happy with that. But I still want Carrick called up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 12:33 pm

I think Jones moving in to midfield and Jagielka becoming right-back cover is the most likely scenario. Hodgson has already said he's not neccessarily looking for a like for like replacement.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Spyman wrote:I think Jones moving in to midfield and Jagielka becoming right-back cover is the most likely scenario. Hodgson has already said he's not neccessarily looking for a like for like replacement.
In that case, surely Richards is a better option?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Maybe he is - but looks like he turned down the chance to be on the reserve list and so has cost himself a chance to be in the squad.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Jones to midfield - I prefer that anyway think his best performances over the last couple of years have been in CM.

If all else fails Rooney drops into midfield (and Gerrard falls back to defensive - does he have the legs to play a all action midfield role every 3 days now?) - we all know Rooney will end up searching for the ball on the halfway line anyway might as well play him there and play someone upfront who will actually play up front.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Don't forget we also have Lampard.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 2:54 pm

So Jagielka is indeed in the full squad. I suppose it also gives us extra cover in goal....

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon May 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Spyman wrote:Don't forget we also have Lampard.
Aye, and thinking about it, why the fuck did I say "Barry's starting place"? Parker is always going to be ahead of Barry anyways so Barry was nothing more than a backup himself.

In that case, Jones can now be the back-up to Parker instead of Barry and like you said we will have Lampard in the Euros as well.

Stan_Darlo

Post by Stan_Darlo » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm

lo36789 wrote:Jones to midfield - I prefer that anyway think his best performances over the last couple of years have been in CM.

If all else fails Rooney drops into midfield (and Gerrard falls back to defensive - does he have the legs to play a all action midfield role every 3 days now?) - we all know Rooney will end up searching for the ball on the halfway line anyway might as well play him there and play someone upfront who will actually play up front.
Bollocks, Jones is a center back and the sooner his managers start to realise that the sooner he will turn into the top class centre back he has the potential to be. Also playing Rooney in midfield would be a disaster.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I think it is good that Jones is getting a bit of experience in a few positions - should make him a more rounded player in the long run. He'll end up as a central defender, but there's no rush for him.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 am

Player numbers have now been given and may indicate who Hodgson sees as his starting 11. Possibly.

1. Hart

2. Johnson 5. Cahill 6. Terry 3. Cole

7. Walcott 4. Gerrard 8. Lampard 11. Young

10. Rooney

9. Carroll

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am

It will be a great shame, and a big mistake, if that is the midfield. Lampard and Gerrard doesn't work. Parker is now a more effective player than Lampard over 90 minutes.

I reckon those numbers are just done on preference/tradition. Lampard has always worn 8 and so has probably been given it again because it is 'his' number. Same with Rooney at 10.

I think the defence is largely confirmed as you've put it. We'll probably start with Young playing centrally at least until Rooney is back, with either Downing or Milner wide depending on how they perform up to the opening match. Whether Rooney comes back as the main striker, or playing behind one of the others will I suppose depend on how the others get on in the opening two games.

DC

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I generally argee with what you say, but I must take issue with your view that Parker is a more effective player than Frank Lampard.

Parker is a hard worker who can break up the play but has almost no passing ability at all, it is ok to win the ball but he constantly gives it away, cast your mind back to the Spain game, or even watch it again and look at the number of times he won the ball then gave it straight back to the Spanish midfield.

Lampard is still a fantastic player and (to me) we cannot think about going into the tournament by leaving him on the bench.

Gerrard is not disciplined enough to play in a central 2, he goes walk about and constantly gives the ball away with his hollywod balls.

I would play Parker in front of the centre backs put Young on the left and play Lampard in the middle, in a 4141.

Lampard has the tactical discipline to stay in the centre and allow Gerrard to roam about , alternatively it could line up as a 4231 or 4411 or 433.

However I think Roy will start with Downing left Young as No 10 and Gerrard & Parker in the middle, if we are in a position to progress when Rooney is available then Downing drops out and Rooney plays 10 and Young 11.

Ps Milner will start wide right

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I mean Parker is more effective if we are making the assumption that Gerrard starts in a midfield two.

DC

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Ahh....Ok in that case I agree with you :lol:

Still think we need to play a system that includes them both though, be it a diamond 433 whatever, we need to get Lampard into the side.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

You're a big Lampard fan. I think he's a very good player who can change a game, but I think his role should now be one largely from the bench where he can bring some experience and discipline in the latter stages of games.

For the first two games, I'd happily see Gerrard pushed up behind Carroll (assuming he gets the nod over Wellbeck, who I prefer, or Defoe), with Lampard sitting next to Scotty P.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 am

Spyman wrote:For the first two games, I'd happily see Gerrard pushed up behind Carroll (assuming he gets the nod over Wellbeck, who I prefer, or Defoe), with Lampard sitting next to Scotty P.
YES.

I also prefer Welbeck to Carroll.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 am

I can however see the argument for Carroll if we're going to be sittnig deep and playing a direct game. Once Rooney is back though, I'd like to see Young, Rooney and Wellbeck form a bit of a trio. They've got a good understanding having played the season together.

Defence based around Chelsea, attack based around Man Utd - surely the best way to go to get the most out of what we've got available.

DC

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 am

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:For the first two games, I'd happily see Gerrard pushed up behind Carroll (assuming he gets the nod over Wellbeck, who I prefer, or Defoe), with Lampard sitting next to Scotty P.
YES.

I also prefer Welbeck to Carroll.
I'd go with this as well. I can't stand Lampard, but in the Champions League final he really won me over playing in a very similar formation to the one Spyman describes - part of a deeper midfield two (with Mikkel) playing behind a more forward three of Kalou, Mata and Bertrand with Drogba up front. In England's case Carroll would be Drogba (LOL) and Gerrard would be Mata. In the final Lampard was disciplined, selfless and won a lot of ball - basically all the things I thought he couldn't do! If he could play alongside Parker and do those same things for England I think we'd have a really good engine room and supply line for the forward players.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

UH OH ....looks like Lampards crocked :thumbdown:

The mighty Jordan Henderson :lol: :lol: :lol: awaits a call up from the stand by list if Lamps dont make it :thumbdown: