England squad - who would you take?

Talk about anything you want in here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: England squad - who would you take?

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 pm

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 pm

So, no Scholes and Cole.
No Micah Richards, and no Daniel Sturridge.

Downing has never delivered for England, Defoe is past his best although I can see why his experience will be useful in the first couple of games.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Spyman wrote:England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)
That's actually not bad, far to many wingers though.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 16, 2012 12:23 pm

And no Stocky!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:37 pm

The reserve list worries me a little, in that Jordan Henderson is the midfield alternative if Scott Parker doesn't make it!

There's 4, maybe 5, wingers in that squad although Milner can be used centrally. We'll probably play with 3 attacking midfielders/wingers behind 1 striker.

DC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed May 16, 2012 12:40 pm

comeondarlo wrote:And no Stocky!

No but for some fucked up reason we have Jack Butland :wtf: who is Birminghams 4th choice keeper on the standby list !!!
Never played a game for the Brum last seen on loan at Cheltenham in league 2 :lol: :lol:
FFS at least Stocky has premierleague experiance

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Downing inclusion and Henderson on the stand-by list (seemingly in place of Carrick) is astonishing. These are players that have looked out of their depth in a mid-table Liverpool team. I can't for the life of me see what they will ever bring to England.

This is an England squad that should have looked to the future. We're in a transitional stage of having to phase out the serial tournament losers of the noughties (JT, Lamps, Gerrard etc.). so it's great to see AOC in there but it would have been good to have even more younger players with potential like Sturridge.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 12:51 pm

fat tony wrote:Downing inclusion and Henderson on the stand-by list (seemingly in place of Carrick) is astonishing. These are players that have looked out of their depth in a mid-table Liverpool team. I can't for the life of me see what they will ever bring to England.

This is an England squad that should have looked to the future. We're in a transitional stage of having to phase out the serial tournament losers of the noughties (JT, Lamps, Gerrard etc.). so it's great to see AOC in there but it would have been good to have even more younger players with potential like Sturridge.
I think Lampard and Gerrard are worth their places, and Terry given that Ferdinand isn't in - we need some experience in the centre of defence.

I can also see the sense behind Defoe, as without Rooney for 2 games we'd only have 3 strikers with a handful of caps.

Downing, and Glenn Johnson, really knark me though. Neither are good enough and we have other options.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I'd be surprised if Downing gets a game. At least, i'm hoping he doesn't.

Surely Lennon OR Johnson are better choices? Bizarre.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Disappointed with Downing. An average player. Apart from that it's OK. I probably would have gone with Micah Richards over Glen Johnson, but perhaps there's something wrong with him that your average person can't see. Dodgy positioning/not fit enough?

Lampard is certainly worth his place again. Another 15+ goals from midfield I believe this season. A good return.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm

So anyway, England fans; can Gerrard and Lampard play together in midfield?

And do you guys think JT will give 110% for the three lions?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Micah Richards missing out is an absolute travesty.

He is better at right back than Glen Johnson not only that but I think he is a better centre back than a fair few of those on the list (think he has more about him there than Terry, he is just as big and strong but also has the pace)

Defoe's inclusion above Sturridge is bemusing as is Downings over Adam Johnson.

Not very impressed to be honest. Don't even get me started on Stocky not getting the reserve goalkeeper slot.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I am quite pleased with the squad, saying that I would have liked Roy to have gone for Jagielka instead of Jones and Lambert instead of Wellbeck.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:Micah Richards missing out is an absolute travesty.

He is better at right back than Glen Johnson not only that but I think he is a better centre back than a fair few of those on the list (think he has more about him there than Terry, he is just as big and strong but also has the pace)

Defoe's inclusion above Sturridge is bemusing as is Downings over Adam Johnson.

Not very impressed to be honest. Don't even get me started on Stocky not getting the reserve goalkeeper slot.
Yeh, he's more experienced than the other two at sitting on the bench.

As someone above mentioned, fitness is a bit of an issue with Richards. He tends to tire towards the end of games and I've seen him caught out a few times this way. He spends so much of the first 80 minutes bombing around the pitch that he's buggered by the end.

As for Lampard/Gerrard? I think Lampard is now more of a bench player for England and we have to stop trying to accomodate both. Gerrard in the middle of the three attacking midfielders, and Parker sitting deep with Barry (Wilshere when he's fit).

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 1:40 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I am quite pleased with the squad, saying that I would have liked Roy to have gone for Jagielka instead of Jones and Lambert instead of Wellbeck.
Ah yes, your irrational hatred of all things Man Utd.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I am quite pleased with the squad, saying that I would have liked Roy to have gone for Jagielka instead of Jones and Lambert instead of Wellbeck.
Lambert instead of Welbeck!? One is a 30 year old striker who's had one (very good) season in the second tier of English football. The other is young player who's played very well for one of the biggest teams in the country, scored a decent number of goals, and looks to be forming a very good partnership with our best striker.

I would have liked to have seen Jagielka go though. I think him and Lescott make a very good partnership. Saying that, I still would have taken Jones, so I'm not sure who would have missed out.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Spyman wrote:
Ah yes, your irrational hatred of all things Man Utd.
not at all, I just think those two players are better and happen to be first choice for their clubs, had good seasons and have been very influential on their clubs season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:58 pm

after this competition just change the whole thing out with the old in with the new ready to take Brazil by storm...

hart

walker jones rodwell gibbs

oxlade-chamberlain wilshere cleverley johnson

rooney carroll

on the bench/squad

walcott
sturridge
ruddy
barkley
bertrand
mceachran
sinclair
smalling
richards

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:31 pm

I cannot believe Downing is in the squad. He has no goals and no assists this season I cannot understand why he is in the squad. Happy with the strikers and midfielders other than Downing. Don't know why Glen Johnson gets ahead of Micah Richards. Happy with goalies
@George_S96

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

The only reason I can see for Downing being in is that he's a naturally left-footed wide player. Young is right-footed but plays on the left.

That said, Adam Johnson is left-footed and much better (and younger) than Downing, so I've no idea why he isn't going.

Oh, and Walshy - I can see the argument for Jagielka over Jones, although I think Jones will benefit more and hasn't had an injury interrupted season, but Lambert better than Wellbeck? You can't honestly believe that?

DC

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Can't see us beating France
@George_S96

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed May 16, 2012 4:37 pm

At a glance I'd have liked to see Carrick included in the squad, probably over Parker due to his injury. I'd also much rather have Johnson over the woefully ineffective Downing and the inclusion of Micah Richards (though admittedly I'm struggling to decide who to drop to make space for him).

Rob Green is shyte as well but is the best of a bad bunch as No.2 keeper, though having Butland as stand-by keeper is a joke.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Spyman wrote:The only reason I can see for Downing being in is that he's a naturally left-footed wide player. Young is right-footed but plays on the left.

That said, Adam Johnson is left-footed and much better (and younger) than Downing, so I've no idea why he isn't going.

Oh, and Walshy - I can see the argument for Jagielka over Jones, although I think Jones will benefit more and hasn't had an injury interrupted season, but Lambert better than Wellbeck? You can't honestly believe that?
I've been very impressed with Welbeck this season. I would start with him, Welbeck will be an England regular for many years to come. I'd have Jone in too but Jagielka would be in for Lescott

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Darlo_H wrote:At a glance I'd have liked to see Carrick included in the squad, probably over Parker due to his injury. I'd also much rather have Johnson over the woefully ineffective Downing and the inclusion of Micah Richards (though admittedly I'm struggling to decide who to drop to make space for him).

Rob Green is shyte as well but is the best of a bad bunch as No.2 keeper, though having Butland as stand-by keeper is a joke.
What has RH got against Stocky?

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:44 pm

I think Stocky, like Adam Johnson have both suffered because of lack of club games and tbh I think it is the right call.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed May 16, 2012 5:47 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I think Stocky, like Adam Johnson have both suffered because of lack of club games and tbh I think it is the right call.
You really want Championship players in the England squad don't you?
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed May 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Spyman wrote:but Lambert better than Wellbeck? You can't honestly believe that?
He may believe that, but he'd be wrong.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Darlo_H wrote:
walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I think Stocky, like Adam Johnson have both suffered because of lack of club games and tbh I think it is the right call.
You really want Championship players in the England squad don't you?
I dont want players who are not first choice for their clubs. Maybe I should ask you....do you want bench warmers in your England squad ? If there was a player banging in the goals in the premiership then I would pick him before looking elsewhere. Same goes for all positions.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Downing is a strange one, I like him he is a decent player but has had a very poor season.

Maybe RH thinks that by showing faith in hime he can boost his confidance and get a performance out of him, personaly I would have gone for Adam Johnson, him & Milner really need to leave.

Jescott is a strange one, for England with Jagiellka he looks a really good player without him poor.

What is this obession with Ricky fucking Lambert on here its as if people have been watching Darlo too long and can't actually recognise the difference between standards of players.

Looks like it will be 4231, though should we have a chance of going through when Roney comes back I hope RH doesn't think Rooney can play centre forward as we have seen enough times that he can't.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Wed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:I dont want players who are not first choice for their clubs. Maybe I should ask you....do you want bench warmers in your England squad ?
I want players have shown they can compete at the highest level of English opposition and could carry this on to international level. Lambert and Butland have not. Welbeck has. Stockdale has.

I mean can you seriously see Lambert, in his current guise, scoring past Spain? Or France? No. I can see him looking lost and trying to impose his current Championship game at a much higher level and being a bystander for 85 minutes.