Team Supported: Darlington

FA Approach Roy Hodgson

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Much better choice than 'arry

funksoul

Re: FA Approach Roy Hodgson

Post by funksoul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm

surprise the fa are dumb who wudda thunk it?
personally i woulda chose pierce he knows the youth team best and hopefully the elder statesmen will be leaving soon.
or even redknapp tho as ive always said isnt a yes man so wouldnt get it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm

I think Hodgson is a good manager, and he also has international experience, which is a bonus. Wonder if it's temporary or permanent.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

al_quaker wrote:I think Hodgson is a good manager, and he also has international experience, which is a bonus. Wonder if it's temporary or permanent.
Dunno but his contract at west brom runs out in June

MB86DFC

FA Approach Roy Hodgson

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

funksoul wrote:surprise the fa are dumb who wudda thunk it?
personally i woulda chose pierce he knows the youth team best and hopefully the elder statesmen will be leaving soon.
or even redknapp tho as ive always said isnt a yes man so wouldnt get it.
So you would rather have someone like Harry who has consistently failed with a huge budget, or Hodgson who has regularly got a team with low budget to over achieve?

Darlo_George_96

Post by Darlo_George_96 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Only 1 month to prepare if he does take the job. Good luck Roy, good luck
@George_S96

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 pm

F U C K Harry and Roy, I'd give it to someone like Pearce or Paul Lambert assuming Fergie is a no go.

funksoul

Post by funksoul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:15 pm

i just think if you take away money issues etc redknapp will do what needs to be done bring in players wont take crap from older players not playing so well. and wont let the fa make the decisions. im not huge fan of redknappp id just like to see someone with passion who isnt just about the cheque there getting, tho redknapp is bit of a money man

funksoul

Post by funksoul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:17 pm

to be honest the manager wont make a difference aslong as the same team picks itself week in week out as usual. no chance for dropping players means everyone feels safe. same players over how many years underachieving and how many managers maybe we shud look at the players.
we shud take bets on how long after roy takes over and lampard etc say we love him to then them saying hes rubbish and the players dont wanna work for him

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:28 pm

hodgson is a good manager, i think he'd do well with england.

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm

DL5 wrote:F U C K Harry and Roy, I'd give it to someone like Pearce or Paul Lambert assuming Fergie is a no go.
Lambert is destined for better things.

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

I like Hodgson, I think he will do well.

He has more experience of european football than Harry and I think he is a better bet tactically than Redknapp.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Ugh God. Mr negative.

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:08 pm

the fa have never gone for the manager of either the big north west clubs or big London clubs before..why ? because they know it will weaken those clubs. When was the last time a manure,lfc arsenal or spurs manager got the England job ?

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Probably the best of a bad bunch if it has to be an English manager.

It's a thankless task for Hodgson to take on this disjointed England team. There's a group of senior players who are proven failures at international tournament level over the past decade - Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand etc. - who need to be phased out, yet feel they are owed a place. Terry in particular is absolute poison within the squad. Also, the knives will be out for Hodgson from day one from 'Arry's mates in the media.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm

I'd have Roy Hodgson over that over-rated, tax-dodging, over spending bollock face any day.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:07 pm

The FA can't win whoever they appoint. People would criticise whoever is the new manager, such is the apathy around the current England team.

If Hodgson gets it, he'd well advised to completely ignore the press. He's only going to get shite thrown at him anyway.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:12 pm

fat tony wrote:Probably the best of a bad bunch if it has to be an English manager.

It's a thankless task for Hodgson to take on this disjointed England team. There's a group of senior players who are proven failures at international tournament level over the past decade - Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand etc. - who need to be phased out, yet feel they are owed a place. Terry in particular is absolute poison within the squad. Also, the knives will be out for Hodgson from day one from 'Arry's mates in the media.
I agree with all of this. Hodgson is up against it as the media, the players and most of the country had already decided the job was Redknapp's.

Hodgson will be hounded out in no time, as he was at Liverpool.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am

Spyman wrote:
This, the red tops won't give to poor b****** a chance. Which is a shame as he's probably the best candidate for the job
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:33 am

he isn't popular at blackburn

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 am

Spyman wrote:
fat tony wrote:Probably the best of a bad bunch if it has to be an English manager.

I agree with all of this. Hodgson is up against it as the media, the players and most of the country had already decided the job was Redknapp's.

Pretty much agree with that as well.

I actually think Roy Hodgson is a good manager. He never got a chance at Liverpool (was his league record any worse than Dalglish's?). He has done well with some unfashionable clubs and hasn't had the millions that Redknapp has had. Essentially the England manager is akin to a club manager working on a shoe string. He doesn't have a massive pool of players to pull from and has to make do with what he has got. I hope he gets the chance to do alright.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am

Hodgson has proved at Fulham, Liverpool and West Brom that he can get the best out of very average players.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:03 am

LMAO @ mockney wanker Redknapp...not so smug now is he.
sacked by spurs as well i reckon if they dont make this seasons or next seasons champions league :clap:

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

In big games Spurs have collapsed this season, Arsenal and Chelsea, surely must of played apart, im quite happy with Hodgson getting it

Sent from my GT-I9100

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Spyman wrote:Hodgson has proved at Fulham, Liverpool and West Brom that he can get the best out of very average players.
Bollocks. Liverpool were horrendous to watch under Hodgson and that is why he was sacked.

He did well at Fulham, granted, but he seems to do well with underdogs as his negative approach suits them. As soon as he went to a big club, with expectations of attacking teams and dominating games, he failed.

I'd still prefer him to Redknapp like (I've went off him big style recently).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 pm

wow the fa never choose to take managers from the big north-west or london clubs because it will weaken them...there are always places in the world for conspiracy theorists aren't there!

I don't know who you would have taken over the past decade. The only managers of those clubs that I would offer the England job to would be Wenger/Hiddink or Mourinho.

Wenger (wants France), Hiddink (likes obscure nations where he can 'over-achieve'), Mourinho (won't be going international until he's a bit older and won a few more champions leagues)

Don't even suggest Ferguson because he is as Scottish as they come and think he threatened to 'relegate' England if he took charge!

I have my reservations over both Redknapp & Hodgson and I feel the FA already have their man (Stuart Pearce) ready in the wings for when they feel the time is right who they are just grooming to do as they say really.

All things considered, my vote goes for Ian Holloway especially as really...we don't have anything to lose in this Euros.

Alternatively why don't we get that ex Cambridge boss who did wonders with Zambia, well if the basis for international achievement is what Hodgson did with Finland then that french guy trumps him!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Spyman wrote:Hodgson has proved at Fulham, Liverpool and West Brom that he can get the best out of very average players.
Bollocks. Liverpool were horrendous to watch under Hodgson and that is why he was sacked.

He did well at Fulham, granted, but he seems to do well with underdogs as his negative approach suits them. As soon as he went to a big club, with expectations of attacking teams and dominating games, he failed.

I'd still prefer him to Redknapp like (I've went off him big style recently).
I was waiting for you to bite.

Liverpool may have been horrendous to watch, but as has been verified this season, they are (with a couple of notable exceptions) a team of quite ordinary players, and so in actual fact he was just getting the best out of them.

It is all very well saying he failed at a big club with high expectations, but you have to question whether Liverpool can be considered a 'big' club anymore and whether perhaps their expectations were perhaps a little unrealistic.

Yes, the football they are playing now is prettier, but the results are generally no better and Dalglish has spent a lot more money than Hodgson did.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:the fa have never gone for the manager of either the big north west clubs or big London clubs before..why ? because they know it will weaken those clubs. When was the last time a manure,lfc arsenal or spurs manager got the England job ?
When was the last time the manager of any of those 4 clubs was realistically a contendor?

Ferguson would never be considered a candidate and has been at Man Utd for over 20 years.
Wenger maybe, but has never indicated he's interested.
Benitez/Houllier/Evans?
And at Spurs, aside from Redknapp they've not had anyone that I'd consider to have been in the frame.

Glenn Hoddle left Chelsea for England.

DC