Youth Team to face Wigan in Semi's

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakersam
Team Supported: Darlington

Youth Team to face Wigan in Semi's

Post by quakersam » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Craig Liddle's lads have another opportunity to test themselves against a Premier League side after been drawn away to Wigan Athletic in the Semi-Final of their League Cup competition (Youth Alliance Cup).
They claimed victory over Morecambe with a 3-2 victory at home on Saturday whilst they've also seen off Bradford City and Tranmere Rovers in the earlier rounds.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

divas

Re: Youth Team to face Wigan in Semi's

Post by divas » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:10 pm

That will be an area semi-final is it?

Wigan must be one of the only Prem league teams to have a team in the YA rather than the Academy.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

I would of thought so, and yes, them and Blackpool

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Any idea where and when this game is due to be played?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Saturday 19th February, 2pm kick off at Wigan's training ground

Christopher Park training ground, Standish Lover Ground, Wigan. WN6 8LB
Last edited by quakersam on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Sam do you know who's in the other semi-final?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Macclesfield v Oldham

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Cheers, if we can beat Wigan, then I fancy us to win the final as well.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Cheers, if we can beat Wigan, then I fancy us to win the final as well.
Based on what?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:40 pm

What a fantastic job Craig Liddle is doing with the youth team, here is a guy I would seriously give a long term contract to for what he has achieved, I cannot remember in all the years following Darlo where so many kids have made the first team, if we beat Wigan it would be great to have a game at the Arena if it is a 2 legged final.Good crowd would turn up I reckon.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:What a fantastic job Craig Liddle is doing with the youth team, here is a guy I would seriously give a long term contract to for what he has achieved, I cannot remember in all the years following Darlo where so many kids have made the first team, if we beat Wigan it would be great to have a game at the Arena if it is a 2 legged final.Good crowd would turn up I reckon.
Craig has done a very good job, however how many youth players have got into the team and performed at least on a semi-consistent basis?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Michael Smith, Josh Gray, Curtis and Burn are still kids and hopefully should get better, I am not including some of the others like Groves and Barnes who have only a few games between them.When did we last have 4 home produced kids make the first team, I certainly cannot remember if we have.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:15 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Michael Smith, Josh Gray, Curtis and Burn are still kids and hopefully should get better, I am not including some of the others like Groves and Barnes who have only a few games between them.When did we last have 4 home produced kids make the first team, I certainly cannot remember if we have.
I think a lot is down to the fact that at times we've struggled for bodies rather than the kids being any better than usual (altho they have done well in the jnr league, first team football with no reserve team is a different kettle of fish).

I don't think we have many, if any that would dislodge a senior pro if fit. Yes they are still kids, but how long can you keep giving them contracts if they aren't having a positive impact on the team - it's all budget used up. I think Gray, Barnes and Main will be candidates for release at the end of the season with Smith getting another year and Burn getting a pro deal.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Think that's a bit harsh on Corey Divas, he's one of the best products of the Youth system but hasn't been given a chance because he's a centre midfielder. The creativity he's got and the passes he can pick out are lightyears ahead of his age

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm

McReady as well, and he is good enough IMO.

Also there are one or two others coming through like Phil Gray who we've not really seen yet.

You only really expect 2 or 3 out of every 10 young uns given a first year pro deal to make it in the game, and at least we are getting plenty of lads to the stage where they are considered good enough to offer a pro deal to - 10 years ago we were producing nothing and Pools were constantly mocking us over it.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Spot on Q, it's a shame we can only give deals to a few as we're producing so much talent recently. Your right about McReady too, I watched him in the Youths last season and could see the potential he had, definitely one for the future

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 pm

divas wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:What a fantastic job Craig Liddle is doing with the youth team, here is a guy I would seriously give a long term contract to for what he has achieved, I cannot remember in all the years following Darlo where so many kids have made the first team, if we beat Wigan it would be great to have a game at the Arena if it is a 2 legged final.Good crowd would turn up I reckon.
Craig has done a very good job, however how many youth players have got into the team and performed at least on a semi-consistent basis?
Also, lets face it, most of these lads have had their chance when we've been at our lowest ebb for 20 years. Perhaps they don't need the same quality to break into a mid-table conference side as they would have to break into a upper mid-table League 2 side (which is at least what we've been for the previous 5 or so years).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC