An early observation

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

comeondarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

An early observation

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am

Looking back at when we were nearly no more.

I (and Charlie) made no secret of the fact that I/we wished we'd reform. Now I don't really want to go over that argument again, it's been done to death and the fact is that we were saved. During these arguments I always understood the other sides point of view, of course I want Darlo in the league and I also understood the history that would be given up. BUT I did warn about the crowds, the standard of football we'd see and that we'd be lucky to stay in the league anyway.

Yesterdays crowd should not be a shock, 2nd bottom should not be a shock, poor players should not be a shock.

I said it at the time (so I'll say it again) we'll be lucky to stay up and crowds will keep falling (below 1k imo), so we'd better get used to it.

My real point to this post is this, I think we've started the season better that I thought we would. Losing 3-1 to Aldershot was about par, we played well against Leeds and losing only 1-0 was better than I expected. The Bury game was another tough one and should have been a draw; we lost (such as life). Fans are already having a go about........well, everything................what did you expect, you leave me baffled

Quakerz

Re: An early observation

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 am

Completely understandable what you say but you'll never stop fans from complaining about the standard of football even if they have asked for it. We all want to see our team win at the end of the day.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:51 am

Quakerz wrote:Completely understandable what you say but you'll never stop fans from complaining about the standard of football even if they have asked for it. We all want to see our team win at the end of the day.
Fantastic understatement from Quakerz, the champion complainer. Yes I agree with a lot of what COD has said. Fans are notoriously fickle, as the team is only as good as the last game they played. I fear that we'll see plenty more games like yesterday's before the end of the season.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:22 pm

comeondarlo wrote:Looking back at when we were nearly no more.

I (and Charlie) made no secret of the fact that I/we wished we'd reform. Now I don't really want to go over that argument again, it's been done to death and the fact is that we were saved. During these arguments I always understood the other sides point of view, of course I want Darlo in the league and I also understood the history that would be given up. BUT I did warn about the crowds, the standard of football we'd see and that we'd be lucky to stay in the league anyway.

Yesterdays crowd should not be a shock, 2nd bottom should not be a shock, poor players should not be a shock.

I said it at the time (so I'll say it again) we'll be lucky to stay up and crowds will keep falling (below 1k imo), so we'd better get used to it.

My real point to this post is this, I think we've started the season better that I thought we would. Losing 3-1 to Aldershot was about par, we played well against Leeds and losing only 1-0 was better than I expected. The Bury game was another tough one and should have been a draw; we lost (such as life). Fans are already having a go about........well, everything................what did you expect, you leave me baffled
yep agree, i have no expectations for this season, EXCEPT that i do expect todd to keep us up. I know Raj has understandably provided little budget but he may have to reconsider this if we become in real danger of going down, cos that would just be unthinkable for the club, the fans and Raj himself if we went, he has to protect his investment and if that means finding a bigger fund to pay for a better gk wages for example, then he'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. The problem is that i'll be going anyway, its the 500 fans who didnt go yesterday who were there last year that is the real worry.

I assume though you mean the crowds could drop below 2k, not 1k? that would mean season ticket holders would have to stop coming, if that happens then we really are fucked!!!

jqm18287

Post by jqm18287 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Totally agree with you COD. Many, many fans on here rounded on the realists for being negative but in other posts would say how finishing 22nd would be an achievement.

I believe staving off relegation this season would be an achievement but to finish 22nd means we will not score many goals, will not win many games, will play poorly often and will play in front of crowds below 2000.

Already people are criticising Thorpe. We can't afford a strikeforce of Hatch and Abbott. I actually think Thorpe is performing ok but we will not score goals like last season or with same frequency.

80% of the forum think we will finish mid-table or lower so losing the first two games should not come as a surprise but merely a slight disappointment.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:44 pm

jqm18287 wrote:Totally agree with you COD. Many, many fans on here rounded on the realists for being negative but in other posts would say how finishing 22nd would be an achievement.

I believe staving off relegation this season would be an achievement but to finish 22nd means we will not score many goals, will not win many games, will play poorly often and will play in front of crowds below 2000.

Already people are criticising Thorpe. We can't afford a strikeforce of Hatch and Abbott. I actually think Thorpe is performing ok but we will not score goals like last season or with same frequency.

80% of the forum think we will finish mid-table or lower so losing the first two games should not come as a surprise but merely a slight disappointment.
It would be much more of a worry if the first two matches had been against Macclesfield and Morecambe (say).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Fantastic understatement from Quakerz, the champion complainer
Who was complaining about the lack of free pies & drinking time last night??? :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm

I didn't complain about lack of free pies, so you can't of been on about me. I'm just not prepared to pay £1-60 for a mince pie, that was £1-10 last year. I wish the club didn't have to give away the pies for nothing at the end of the day. Clearly others aren't buying them either or they were expecting a much bigger crowd.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:37 pm

'I assume though you mean the crowds could drop below 2k, not 1k? that would mean season ticket holders would have to stop coming, if that happens then we really are fucked!!!' Quote from bigrichiet

You assume wrong, mark my words we will get one or two crowd under 1k.
A cold Tuesday night should do the trick!

LS is also correct, Pete you are moaning with the best of them. The bars, the RG suit, the team and so on will never be the same (unless someone who cares or is rich buys).

We were saved but still up s*** creek, everyone muist get used to it (or what is the point to being saved).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I didn't complain about lack of free pies, so you can't of been on about me. I'm just not prepared to pay £1-60 for a mince pie, that was £1-10 last year. I wish the club didn't have to give away the pies for nothing at the end of the day. Clearly others aren't buying them either or they were expecting a much bigger crowd.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=678

Is this not you moaning Pete? :lol:

hullfox

Post by hullfox » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:24 pm

As somebody who doesn't have the same pedigree as you guys who have watched the club for years, I have maybe a different slant to the norm.

I didn't renew my season ticket at Leicester this season following an extremely succesful L1 campaign. Despite winning the league we had booing at home games when we didn't win 4-0 week in week out. We too nearly went out of business a few years back and were lucky to be saved - unfortunately people are too quick to eradicate this from their memories and demand instant success, this may be the case with Darlo.

I came up for the Leeds game and I thought you (we) did okay for a good deal of the game without ever really threatening and that sounds as though it was repeated yesterday.

A few games into the campaign isn't long enough to form a solid basis of how the season will pan out (unless you are a Norwich Director) but if scoring is going to be difficult then you have to stop conceding. As a central defender himself you would hope that Todd will be able to build from the back in which case he may have to scout hard for loanees (not just from near neighbours) and be ruthless with who he is prepared to sacrifice.

See you on Tuesday.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:32 pm

A Leicester supporter who presumably lives in Hull? Attending Darlo matches, why?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

hullfox

Post by hullfox » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Work a lot in the North East.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Aaaaaaah riiiiiiight! Thought it all seemed a little bit random!

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:57 pm

hullfox wrote:As somebody who doesn't have the same pedigree as you guys who have watched the club for years, I have maybe a different slant to the norm.

I didn't renew my season ticket at Leicester this season following an extremely succesful L1 campaign. Despite winning the league we had booing at home games when we didn't win 4-0 week in week out. We too nearly went out of business a few years back and were lucky to be saved - unfortunately people are too quick to eradicate this from their memories and demand instant success, this may be the case with Darlo.

I came up for the Leeds game and I thought you (we) did okay for a good deal of the game without ever really threatening and that sounds as though it was repeated yesterday.

A few games into the campaign isn't long enough to form a solid basis of how the season will pan out (unless you are a Norwich Director) but if scoring is going to be difficult then you have to stop conceding. As a central defender himself you would hope that Todd will be able to build from the back in which case he may have to scout hard for loanees (not just from near neighbours) and be ruthless with who he is prepared to sacrifice.

See you on Tuesday.

Thank you for that post - decent summary

rj50

Post by rj50 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Does this mean Comeondarlo will still be attending matches when he can?

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm going to Vale away next week, Lincoln away on the 05/09 and Bournemouth at home on 19/09.

When I next see you on 19/09, I predict that we wont have many points (4 points max imo). We'll be bottom of the table and the crowd for that game (Bournemouth) well below 2k.

going_back_to_cali

Post by going_back_to_cali » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks for that mystic meg.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:00 pm

You obviously miss my point.

going_back_to_cali

Post by going_back_to_cali » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:04 pm

No I get your point ham but your predictions mean sweet FA

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 am

jqm18287 wrote:Totally agree with you COD. Many, many fans on here rounded on the realists for being negative but in other posts would say how finishing 22nd would be an achievement.

BRT just told me who you, spot on mate; Thorpe from what I've seen (Leeds game on telly) is our best performer (so far).

Fetish_bob
Team Supported: hartlepool

Post by Fetish_bob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:16 am

I honestly can't believe that fans off any club write their season off before a ball is kicked.

I recently had a letter printed in the local Hartlepool Mail having a go at a Pools "fan" (i'll call him that for the time being) who had Pools relegated before the season had begun.

Now I'm not saying that your season won't be hard, but once some fans start being negative it soons spreads to others.

Regardless if your crowds are 5,000 or less than a 1,000 it's the fans inside the stadium that game that have to show the player's they care, regardless of how the season is going.

As someone once said (I cant remember who)

Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.

If player's and fan's remember that then it may just be a better season than you think.
Ray Simpson - Saturday 22 October 2011:
"No doubt about it, Braintree are the better side"

Quakers outclassed by 'Essex pub team'Craig Stoddart Monday 24th October 2011