O/T Swine Flu

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

rj50
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: O/T Swine Flu

Post by rj50 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:31 pm

So when you have a cold/flu your mrs has no sympathy for you Coddy?

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 am

i reckon its the most over hyped load of crap ever, im not even gonna contact the NHS if start getting flu symtoms, they drag you in for loads of tests then give you pills which probably do nothing. I'd rather just stay in bed and sweat it out like any normal flu
It's Clobberin' Time

Duffelcoatman

Post by Duffelcoatman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 am

Mullet69 wrote:What's an underlying health problem, and how do I know if I've got one?

That is a serious question by the way, kind of anyway.
I think those with Peanut or Bee Sting allergies are royally fooked mate.... :D
@hobartpaving76 on twitter

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 am

[quote="DL5"]Who's going to be the first on here to get it? :shifty:[/qu

can we catch it from using a keyboard, cos a have a anti-virus software :lol:

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:14 am

Hawkeye wrote:Has anybody seen anyone wearing face masks yet? I'm in Barcelona where it's nowhere near as bad as Britain (I think there's only 6 confirmed cases in the whole of Catalunya) and on my way to work the other day I saw somebody wearing one... could have been for some other reason but I'm not sure what that would be.
I went to turkey 2 weeks ago and before anyone got off the plane doctors with facemasks handed health questionaires out to fill in then everyone had to pass through a thermal imaging camera to check for fever and high temerature, most staff were wearing facemasks and i dont think they have many if any confirmed cases.

darlobhoy

Post by darlobhoy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 am

I've not heard any official guidance as to whether it's worse than Bloke Flu' or not.

I've taken precautions tho' - series linked Shameless on my V+ Box.

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:06 pm

darlolad1690 wrote:Branksome school has one confirmed case also.
The one over branksome I think is in the same household or the neighbour of the household with the case from Magnet, this was in quarintine (spelling) last week from what i gathered.
><
X

The Love Slug

Post by The Love Slug » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 pm

and the young girl who died had a reported underlying heart problem, so not heard of anyone dying from it on its own.

I think its all a load of scaremongering by the media again, as they did with the african killer bees, sars, ricin poisoning and anthrax in letters!

DL5

Post by DL5 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:24 pm

There's 10 kids in my son's class off with suspected swine flu now :shock:

There's no avoiding it, everyone in the country's going to be exposed.

I never get colds or flu, watch this one redress the balance with a vengeance :lol:

jazzydfc

Post by jazzydfc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:04 pm

DL5 wrote:There's 10 kids in my son's class off with suspected swine flu now :shock:

I never get colds or flu, watch this one redress the balance with a vengeance :lol:
What school does your son go to, if you don't mind me asking.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm

jazzydfc wrote:
DL5 wrote:There's 10 kids in my son's class off with suspected swine flu now :shock:

What school does your son go to, if you don't mind me asking.
Vane Road, Aycliffe

jazzydfc

Post by jazzydfc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Cheers DL5, I've got a nephew who goes to school in Aycliffe so I was just wondering.

crapname

Post by crapname » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:41 pm

I work in a school in Boro and about 6 kids are off with it.
Apparently they are treating everyone with flu like symptoms with the swine flu cure thing. People are assuming they have it when they probably havent.

Watch me die of the fucker tomorrow.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:52 pm

crapname wrote:I work in a school in Boro and about 6 kids are off with it.
Apparently they are treating everyone with flu like symptoms with the swine flu cure thing. People are assuming they have it when they probably havent.

Watch me die of the fucker tomorrow.
Spot on (not the die tomorrow bit!), they are not testing for it now.
I reckon there's a lot of people taking advantage of the situation

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm

The Love Slug wrote:and the young girl who died had a reported underlying heart problem, so not heard of anyone dying from it on its own.

I think its all a load of scaremongering by the media again, as they did with the african killer bees, sars, ricin poisoning and anthrax in letters!
The only difference between this and SARS, bird flu, ebola and all the rest is that swine flu has actually made it here and is spreading very quickly. The current outbreak itself isn't worrying at all for most of us, it's the fact that flu outbreaks similar to this one in the past have had a mild outbreak in spring/summer then come back much worse in the winter (which won't necessarily happen this time, but by all accounts it's likely).

I know medicine has moved on quite some way since then, but the 1918 outbreak killed anything up to 100 million people, which was probably about 1/50 people in the world (and a lot more than died in WWI). That probably explains why some people are pretty worried about it, although I really doubt it will get anywhere near as bad as that.

Basically if you get it, you get it and there's not a lot you can do about it. The ginger guy from Harry Potter had it and said it was just like normal flu. I think Susan Boyle has it too.

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Just watch how bad this will get over the next few weeks. We will all know someone who gets it and many of us will get it ourselves.

If it mutates or combines with avian flu, then we are facing a whole new ball game. Hopefully it won't.

I always remember my grandad telling me about Spanish flu in 1918. People he knew died from it. He caught it and survived. Everytime I got a cold as a kid and said it was flu, he used to go mad. "How dare you say you've got flu lad, you don't know what flu is". I can still see him saying it even though the old boy has been gone since 1982.