We look at 3 triallists

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

We look at 3 triallists

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 am

The club has been looking at 3 triallist this week. Rikki Baines & Darren Williams who are both defenders and a certain Kevin Gall who is a winger. Gall is known to us as he played for us last year, as he has now been released by Carlisle. I've never rated Gall and I'd be disappointed if he came to the club.

Darlo_Weststand19

Re: We look at 3 triallists

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:53 am

I have to disagree, Kevin Gall went to Yeovil after leaving Darlo. Think he did ok. Regardless he can also chip in with the odd goal or ten. For certain he is better than Convery. Williams was/is with Dundee and Todd seemed to like him but had no funds. Ricky Baines have to look him up on the net. Think he has boro connections.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:55 am

Have we not already had a look at Williams? he is getting on a bit but i think he could do us a job.

Gall we all know and love! However he is better than Convery so it might be the lesser of two evils.

Darlo_Weststand19

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 am

Ricky Baines, ex Coventry and Macclesfield. A center half. Doubt that will further.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am

Gall played for Yeovil before he came to Darlo, did well for them then, but thn moved onto Carlisle, after going back to Carlisle he ended up at Lincoln and Port Vale, got to admit, he'd do a decent job on the wing for us, a better job than Mark Convery

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:55 am

Baines played for us against Park Avenue at right back for the second half but didn't do much good or bad. Williams is slow but solid and would provide us with cover across the back. Not sure about Gall . . . .
Does this mean Todd has a bit more money to make signings - perhaps from the Leeds game?

inappropriateh

Post by inappropriateh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 am

For me Gall was a total disappointment last time around. However he was stuck up front most of the time and it is clear that he is not a striker. Not sure about him on the wing. He always seemed to be busy but without any end product. I woul dbe disappointed if he returned.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:09 am

isnt gall left footed? or have i just made that up?

for all he did bot all, he was in a decent team, who knows he might look better in a poorer team and at least he does have a bit of pace.

Bones

Post by Bones » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 am

As I remember ,Gall looked a good player until he got the ball ,i think he scored once and it was a miskick a yard out

long_man

Post by long_man » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

I'm 95% sure that Gall was carrying some kind of injury during the time he was with us - I maybe wrong.

I'd have him in the squad.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 am

Gall would be a waste of a wage, he's been loaned out time and time again because he's s***, nobody wants him. There's much better around and he probably won't come cheap

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am

Gall is certainly not a striker.

Neither is he a winger.

He is utter garbage and fans from every team he ever played for say the same. He only gets stuck on the wing because he doesn't score goals and he is fast, not because he is a good winger.

I'd be mortified if Todd signed that clown, and I'm also mortified that anybody is even contemplating signing him because he is better than Convery - he isn't.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:25 am

He did wear nice blue boots, though. That's all I remember about him.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 am

He did do well against us away to Port Vale last season. I would have him back on a short term deal as we are desperate for a right winger.
Baines played right back against Park Avenue but as said above didn't show much at all. To be released by Macclesfield says it all really doesn't it. As for Williams, a maybe but do we need more cover? Fozz and Dusty are going to start with Plummer as back up
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 am

Williams can play full back aswell though Sam. He certainly did for Bradford when we played them in 07/08 ( he marked Johann Smith out of the game! :eh: ). . how much cover do we have if Bower or Arnison were to get injured at the moment?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am

We lack cover in the full back areas which is probably why CT is taking another look at Baines and Williams. Gall I'm 50/50 on, would be a versitile player in terms of forward options but hasn't shown much of that where ever he's been in the last 2/3 seasons.

This summer saw probably more players than ever released by clubs and I think we could do better than these three, but then again maybe this is as far as our budget can stretch.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 am

Oh right ;) Well not alot at the moment. Todd is trying to bring in two loanees which one is from Sunderland, though no new additions are expected before tomorrow. The loan deals are expected to be a left back and a right winger. Also, according to the Gazette, Gall is going to be offered a short term deal..I expect until January?

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am

Quakerz wrote:Gall is certainly not a striker.

Neither is he a winger.

He is utter garbage and fans from every team he ever played for say the same. He only gets stuck on the wing because he doesn't score goals and he is fast, not because he is a good winger.

I'd be mortified if Todd signed that clown, and I'm also mortified that anybody is even contemplating signing him because he is better than Convery - he isn't.

I would be of the opinion Gall would be more of a useful addition than Convery because he can play upfront! and has pace which we are lacking in the side at the moment IMO.
However I think there are better right wingers out there! Ive given up on Nathan Porritt ever signing on loan..

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Bones wrote:As I remember ,Gall looked a good player until he got the ball ,i think he scored once and it was a miskick a yard out
What a great line on Gall, couldn't have put it better myself. Yep I remembered seeing Baines at Bradford PA, looked distinctly average and for me wouldn't add anything to the team or squad.

Santino

Post by Santino » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Gall was crap when he played for us but if we can get him cheap I'd have him in our threadbare squad.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:17 pm

It would be better, and even cheaper, to have nobody.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm

I greeted this news in a similar way to the news that we had Craig James back with us.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:59 pm

piggy wrote: I would be of the opinion Gall would be more of a useful addition than Convery because he can play upfront!
No he can't play up front. Or on the wing.
and has pace which we are lacking in the side at the moment IMO.
A greyhound has pace but I've never seen one that is any good at football.

Dig it?

A pointless signing and waste of a wage if we carry it through.

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 pm

I aint denying he's not the best, but it was a toss up between him and convery I would probably go with Gall.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm

I wouldn't. Convery is miles better.

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:37 pm

To be fair their both crap!

Lets play Chandler on the right and be done with it!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 pm

And when injuries come along?

piggy

Post by piggy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:22 pm

fucked if i know sam!

Barnie-Pete

Post by Barnie-Pete » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 pm

If you sign Darren Williams we'll have to call you Pools reserves! Seriously though he was described by my lad as a total dog of a footballer whilst at the Vic, he is absolutely piss poor. He makes Paul Arnison look like george Cohen.

monkey

Post by monkey » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Here's a crazy idea, we could look at the youth team for players instead of giving trials to people who have been deemed as not good enough by other clubs! Just a thought!