Troubleshooting the new layout

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

mikkyx
Site Admin

Troubleshooting the new layout

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 pm

'lo all :thumbup:

I've tested the forum layout etc. in a few browsers but if anyone spots anything not working, or the layout is a little off (even if it's just microscopic font sizes etc. - had to fix a couple of those already) then post in this topic letting me know what's up (and what browser / OS you're running, as it may be relevant), and I'll try and sort them out as soon as I can.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

quakerfan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Troubleshooting the new layout

Post by quakerfan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 am

Just a small point but maybe one you could look at while still tweeking the design details , if it is not too much trouble .
I like to browse through the site from one topic to the next and presume others do the same .
As it stands I read to the bottom of the page and then have to scroll back to the top to click on next topic . Can we have " previous topic/next topic " at the bottom of the page as well as at the top , it would make browsing easier without this (admittedly minor) irritation .
Thanks

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 am

Is it just me or is the text size and the spacing between the list of posts getting bigger?

Looks wrong to me.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Hilly wrote:Is it just me or is the text size and the spacing between the list of posts getting bigger?

Looks wrong to me.
Some line heights are going a little odd, yep. The joys of the cascade in style sheets. :(

Will take a proper look at 'em when I'm at home tonight.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 am

'lo all,
As you've probably noticed we've launched some of our early setup overnight - and some of it may not work properly in older browsers. Unless staying on these older browsers is out of your hands you should really think about upgrading anyway:
http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/bl ... -software/

In the meantime, rest assured I will be looking at these issues tonight. If you are having problems, drop them in this thread - and remember to mention your browser of choice. :thumbup:

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 am

looking very nice indeed, well done, already loads better than rivals.

dont know if its possible but is it possible to add a date/timestamp to the articles (bit anal i know) also is it possible to add the facility to comment on the article? either underneath the article or even have it link into the forum where a thread is available for comments on the stories?

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:55 am

i am jumping in and Mike will have more of an idea of this but when I start adding new stories it will automatically put a new thread on the board with a link to the story. When people comment on the thread those comments will automatically be added to the bottom of the story and archived for us all to see in the future.

As for the other stuff, the date stamp is something which I have asked for and am sure is in hand.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am

great stuff!!!! the site is getting better by the day.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 am

It's great to see the site 'up and running'. My only comment is that at the top of the page, to the right of the crest, I just see a black space. I think it says Darlo Uncovered, and if it does, then the text needs to be lighter.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:06 am

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:It's great to see the site 'up and running'. My only comment is that at the top of the page, to the right of the crest, I just see a black space. I think it says Darlo Uncovered, and if it does, then the text needs to be lighter.
That's more a case of adjusting your monitor settings!

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 am

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:It's great to see the site 'up and running'. My only comment is that at the top of the page, to the right of the crest, I just see a black space. I think it says Darlo Uncovered, and if it does, then the text needs to be lighter.
Yeah, I think I'll change it slightly so it stands out just a little more, I like that it's quite subtle though.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:57 am

A bit too subtle! The wording is visible on my PC at home, but on my crappy work PC it's invisible. And I have adjusted the brightness/contrast. :cry:

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:08 pm

divas wrote:looking very nice indeed, well done, already loads better than rivals.

dont know if its possible but is it possible to add a date/timestamp to the articles (bit anal i know) also is it possible to add the facility to comment on the article? either underneath the article or even have it link into the forum where a thread is available for comments on the stories?
Thanks, it's only the beginning, there's plenty more in the pipeline.

Sorry if it look a bit messy for anyone with older browsers, but we've still got more testing to do, there's lots to do and very little time you see.

The articles do have a date stored against them I just wasn't sure what they actually were as the same articles on DarloUncovered.com didn't have a date against them, so I left them off for now, but I will print the dates against the articles for sure.

The functionality for comments is alredy done in the background, we just haven't added an article with it working yet, bit more testing and that'll be up shortly.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:30 am

mikkyx wrote:
Hilly wrote:Is it just me or is the text size and the spacing between the list of posts getting bigger?

Looks wrong to me.
Some line heights are going a little odd, yep. The joys of the cascade in style sheets. :(

Will take a proper look at 'em when I'm at home tonight.
That's better :)

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 am

Is there any way of adding a quick reply box to the bottom of threads?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 pm

Just a little niggle - I only have a max 800 x 600 display so I have to scroll a little left and right. Can you possibly make it a little more liquid?

I can just zoom my browser out and get it all in, but my eyes ain't as good as they used to be and things start getting a bit hard to read if I do that.

Other than that - nice job. I like the bbcode editor.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:40 pm

These new l o n g articles are great but could we have some navigation at the bottom of the page?

Top of Page or a Main Menu would do.

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Not sure if its the same for anyone else but the Top links on the bottom left of posts aren't working for me.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Shieldsy wrote:Not sure if its the same for anyone else but the Top links on the bottom left of posts aren't working for me.
Hmm..... good spot! I think I must've taken the element in question out when I was making the theme. I'm not in a position to fix that now but I'll take of it soon. :)

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 am

Slightly trivial this one but I've just posted a comment to Quakersam's article. In the index the latest post is timed correctly (BST) but the tagged post at the bottom of the article is timed in GMT an hour behind.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:41 pm

The layout of the Port Vale Match Photos could do with a bit of a tweak.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm having problems logging in on firefox. As soon as I log in and click on the 'return to previous screen' link, I'm logged out again.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

dfc1883

Post by dfc1883 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Spyman wrote:I'm having problems logging in on firefox. As soon as I log in and click on the 'return to previous screen' link, I'm logged out again.
I'll let Mike (milkyx) deal with this one, he's a firefox fanboy too ;)

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:28 pm

dfc1883 wrote:
Spyman wrote:I'm having problems logging in on firefox. As soon as I log in and click on the 'return to previous screen' link, I'm logged out again.
I know, I know. Fancy preferring a superior browser. :roll:

Spyman, clearly you managed to stay logged in long enough to post that (or you had to revert to another browser temporarily.....) - have you installed any new extensions / AV or firewall software which may be blocking cookies?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 pm

mikkyx wrote:
dfc1883 wrote:

Spyman, clearly you managed to stay logged in long enough to post that (or you had to revert to another browser temporarily.....) - have you installed any new extensions / AV or firewall software which may be blocking cookies?
Nope, have reverted to ie to get in to uncovered. Its only started happening today and I've not installed anything new to my knowledge. I do keep getting prompted to install the new firefox though, so maybe that will fix it.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Having problems with the drop down menu on the site. Running latest version of Firefox on the mac. Seems to be pushed to the left and under the main content rather than in the right side of the main menu. Pic included...

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm also getting this - Firefox and Windows

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I had that as well - a quick Ctrl + F5 (force refresh without cache) sorted it for me, although the select box is a little large on the forum. Dave's already asked me to have a look at that, which I'm doing now :)

divas

Post by divas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Spyman wrote:
mikkyx wrote:
dfc1883 wrote:

Nope, have reverted to ie to get in to uncovered. Its only started happening today and I've not installed anything new to my knowledge. I do keep getting prompted to install the new firefox though, so maybe that will fix it.
did you rectify this? just had the same problem myself and think its caused by importing cookies from IE to Firefox.

if you clear the darlo fc cookie in tools->options->privacy and log back in, it should work

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Divas - you little beauty. That has done the job.

I knew the old Quakerz trick of deleting cookies would not fail me.

DC