Defender on trial

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

d5rlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Defender on trial

Post by d5rlo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Darlo are having a look at centre-back James Taylor, released by Newcastle and recommended a few weeks back by divas on this messageboard!

He's also been on trial with Inverness under Terry Butcher in the last couple of weeks.

DarloOnTheUp

Re: Defender on trial

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:25 pm

At least Davey is starting early with looking at new players. Sounds like a decent prospect, but why is he no longer on trial at Inverness? Not good enough?

divas

Post by divas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I noticed that the other lad i mentioned from Newcastle reserves Darren Lough played for Hartlepool reserves the other week.

d5rlo

Post by d5rlo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I believe Inverness is still a possibility for him, he'll just be keeping his options open. It's not unusual for players to be on trial with two or three clubs at once.

Also, Inverness are an SPL side next year so even if he's not good enough for them, doesn't necessarily mean he won't cut it in the Blue Square.

Santino

Post by Santino » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 pm

See I would have thought the prospect of playing against Rangers and Celtic would be a bigger draw than playing against Gateshead and the like.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Scotland, premier league or not, is a dead end country to play in. Unless you are playing for Rangers or Celtic its to be avoided at all costs. A player can end up wasting years of his career up there totally forgotten about.

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm

d5rlo wrote:Darlo are having a look at centre-back James Taylor, released by Newcastle and recommended a few weeks back by divas on this messageboard!

You just call.... out my name...

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Scotland, premier league or not, is a dead end country to play in. Unless you are playing for Rangers or Celtic its to be avoided at all costs. A player can end up wasting years of his career up there totally forgotten about.
Whereas playing for a team halfway up the conference, his name will be on everyone's lips. Why would a year or two in the SPL be wasting your career, compared to a couple of years with us?

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:Scotland, premier league or not, is a dead end country to play in. Unless you are playing for Rangers or Celtic its to be avoided at all costs. A player can end up wasting years of his career up there totally forgotten about.
Whereas playing for a team halfway up the conference, his name will be on everyone's lips. Why would a year or two in the SPL be wasting your career, compared to a couple of years with us?
a) we won't be halfway up the conference, we will be in the top 6
b) the BSP gets better media coverage & scouting than the SPL

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 am

Robbie Painter wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
a) we won't be halfway up the conference, we will be in the top 6
b) the BSP gets better media coverage & scouting than the SPL
I'd appreciate it if you could tell me where this media coverage is for the BSP that's better than the SPL

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 am

In England, apart from Rangers & Celtic, you never see decent coverage of the other teams. A young player doing well for a leading BSP team will generate far more buzz than one playing for a struggling SPL team.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 am

I find it very strange the perception that some people have of the SPL down here.

I'm due to move to Edinburgh soon, but have spent a fair bit of time up there already so have adopted Hearts as my second team now.

There seems to be a view that other than maybe the top 6 in the SPL, the rest of the teams are no better than mid table league 2 teams.

We can debate the quality of teams all day long, but if anyone was to spend enough time in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen they'd soon understand just how much coverage the SPL gets up there.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am

I am sure the SPL is very big in Scotland, as it would in such an insular country, but outside of Scotland it is totally irrelavant.

Santino

Post by Santino » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 am

Robbie Painter wrote:In England, apart from Rangers & Celtic, you never see decent coverage of the other teams. A young player doing well for a leading BSP team will generate far more buzz than one playing for a struggling SPL team.
Not really. Look at James McCarthy who was at Hamilton and ended up joining Wigan after being courted by Premiership/Championship sides. A BSP player isn't going to attract that level of interest.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 am

Robbie Painter wrote:In England, apart from Rangers & Celtic, you never see decent coverage of the other teams. A young player doing well for a leading BSP team will generate far more buzz than one playing for a struggling SPL team.
but at least the SPL has live televised games and highlights in the UK - the BSP has none, so not quite sure how, apart from scouting at games, players will be picked up, or that the BSP has better coverage. Oh of course there's that widely subscribed non league paper.

the SPL has 30 live games next year, the BSP has zero, so im not quite sure where you're getting more media coverage for the BSP - care to share?

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 am

The SPL is a crock of shite, no debate there. But let's face it, it's of a clearly higher standard than the BSP, and attracts far more coverage both north and south of the border!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am

This is all irrelevant. Unless he's still going to be here in 5 years time we shouldn't waste our time looking at him.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Santino

Post by Santino » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 am

Spyman wrote:This is all irrelevant. Unless he's still going to be here in 5 years time we shouldn't waste our time looking at him.
I think you've made your point :lol:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 pm

other north east lads rumoured to be being released

Gary Martin - Darlington born striker on Boro's books - spent time on loan in Hungary this season
Nathan Luscombe - Sunderland left sided midfielder
Michael Liddle - Irish U21 defender with Sunderland

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

We can't afford to take a chance on too many young lads though mate, two or three ok, but wee need to spend the majority of the budget on big rough house lads who can get us out of the league

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:big rough house lads
I think you're looking on the wrong board mate :lol:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:We can't afford to take a chance on too many young lads though mate, two or three ok, but wee need to spend the majority of the budget on big rough house lads who can get us out of the league
yep completely agree!

BishopQuaker

Post by BishopQuaker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:30 pm

I knew my James Taylor reference would be wasted in this thread.

Bugger

divas

Post by divas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:40 pm

i got it, i just didnt think it warranted a response, sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:We can't afford to take a chance on too many young lads though mate, two or three ok, but wee need to spend the majority of the budget on big rough house lads who can get us out of the league
Agreed - we now have the makings of a very inexperienced midfield. Miller only has one full season of first team football under his belt and he needs an experienced partner like White alongside him. I'd happily see another youngster brought in as cover, but what about Byrne? He looked decent in the Chesterfield game (pre-OG).
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC