Convery

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

StevieMardenboro
Team Supported: Darlington

Convery

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am

I could see him getting a deal at this rate. He along with Gary Smith were the only two players on Saturday to emerge with any credit in my opinion. He didn't look that good but he played with some urgency and hit three or four quality set pieces which we did nothing with.

I brought a few neutrals with me from West Yorks and have to say I was embarassed as hell at how bad we were. The carvery was the only saving grace for the day for them.

Also I have seen enough now of Mor Diop. If we are going to have a small squad next year we cannot have him taking up one of the strikers wages. He is slow, can't win headers and doesn't look to shoot or make runs in behind defenders.

Breedon

Re: Convery

Post by Breedon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 am

The problem with Convery is he doesn't have the pace that a player of his tiny stature needs to have in order to be competitive. He is a decent crosser of the ball but he has mediocre pace and no strength whatsoever. If it were up to me I'd get shot.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:55 am

Convery is an ok player however given we already have 2 wingers under contract for next year (Moore & Gray) I can't see how he would be the next best option for Davey. Surely he can bring someone in with more ability than Convery. At least I hope so.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

I will say one thing about con he works his socks off for the team if he can do it week in week out i would nt like to say,i hope he could....

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm

I think he might have given Davey something to think about. He is the best crosser of a ball we've got, and also takes a far better free kick than either Smith or Dempsey. Didn't just sit on the wing waiting for someone to pass to him. Went looking for the ball, both right and left, and also looked happy in centre. Didn't give it away cheaply either. At least he seemed to want to prove something to the manager. If only Mulligan had the same attitude.

Pity our most creative midfield player can't seem to do it for 90 minutes, hence why he doesn't get a regular game. However, he's no doubt cheap, knows the conference, and may well be seen as a reliable squad player. I know there will be better on the market, I'm just not sure we'll be shopping at Sainsbury's rather than Lidl, and as we have Moore and Gray already, could the budget be better used elsewhere if we already have a reliable backup.

mobi

Post by mobi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Convery needs to be discarded ASAP. There is a reason that Convery sometimes looks decent, that is because this is the WORST team in our history!

Convery was released by York, then released by Cambridge. He is not even good enough for the BSP, so why would a team looking to win the conference want him in the side? Some people have such low standards on here it amazes me.

To find himself at a League 2 club after that makes him a very lucky boy indeed, and its fair to say he wouldn't have got a sniff at Leagure football if we weren't bankrupt and desperate for local players. Convery wouldn't get into any other side in League 2, and has already shown he isn't good enough for the BSP. Even Hodgy said Convery has no end product. He also has no pace, no strength, no power and continually flatters to deceive.

Still, some people though Pavel Abbott was rubbish, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that people are impressed by Convery.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

I didn't say he was Cristiano Ronaldo. The point of my e-mail was that he hadn't done himself any harm. Davey said the players were on trial - he seemed to have at least taken it on board in his last few appearances. Despite everything, he is the best crosser of a ball we have, and takes a better set piece than the rest. I would gladly see us bring in 10 to 15 quality players for next season - that isn't going to happen. All I meant was that he might have done enough to be considered as a reliable squad player, seeing we have Moore/Gray as first choice widemen. Low standards or realistic.

mobi

Post by mobi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:I didn't say he was Cristiano Ronaldo. The point of my e-mail was that he hadn't done himself any harm. Davey said the players were on trial - he seemed to have at least taken it on board in his last few appearances. Despite everything, he is the best crosser of a ball we have, and takes a better set piece than the rest. I would gladly see us bring in 10 to 15 quality players for next season - that isn't going to happen. All I meant was that he might have done enough to be considered as a reliable squad player, seeing we have Moore/Gray as first choice widemen. Low standards or realistic.
I really hope its not realistic, I do. We won't be anywhere near promotion if we hang to players like Convery. He may be better than some we have, but Convery is not a good crosser of a ball and not a good free kick taker. He has not even been good enough to hold down a regular place in the worst side in this club's history.

If Davey keeps Convery then you'll know that the budget is nowhere near as big as Singh is claiming it is, and that promotion would be a long way off.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:57 pm

mobi wrote:Convery needs to be discarded ASAP. There is a reason that Convery sometimes looks decent, that is because this is the WORST team in our history!

Convery was released by York, then released by Cambridge. He is not even good enough for the BSP, so why would a team looking to win the conference want him in the side? Some people have such low standards on here it amazes me.

To find himself at a League 2 club after that makes him a very lucky boy indeed, and its fair to say he wouldn't have got a sniff at Leagure football if we weren't bankrupt and desperate for local players. Convery wouldn't get into any other side in League 2, and has already shown he isn't good enough for the BSP. Even Hodgy said Convery has no end product. He also has no pace, no strength, no power and continually flatters to deceive.

Still, some people though Pavel Abbott was rubbish, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that people are impressed by Convery.
:clap:

Now that chaps, is how you call a spade a spade.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Didn't we sign him after his previous club Newcastle Blue Star went bust? (Of the Unibond Premier, someone corerct me if I'm wrong). My mate's a York City fan and found it hilarious when we signed him after he was shite in the conference for them. Saying all this, he'd be a cracking signing for Newton Aycliffe.

1Superlidds

Post by 1Superlidds » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am

spot on Mobi :clap:
Con is a grafter and doesn't hide on the pitch, but he is not good enough.
God knows how many managers have failed to find a regular starting place for him in the Darlo side over the years, he would survive at Conf level but we need players that will prosper at that level not survive.
As well as Moore and Gray I see McReady possibly being the third option - there is more than enough pace between those three
click on Facebook PIMM Productions for the latest on Darlo Till I Die

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 am

Granted, he may work hard, but what good is that if you don't have the quality? I'd work hard if I played for the club, but I'm fooking useless all the same.