Guardian Season Preview

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MagicBoots
Team Supported: Darlington

Guardian Season Preview

Post by MagicBoots » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ason-guide

They have highlighted Paul Granger as our one to watch???

Can anyone tell me about this guy? Perhaps I'm just being a bit simple...

Darlo_Chris

Re: Guardian Season Preview

Post by Darlo_Chris » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 am

I think he was the 16 year old left winger who played the full 90 minutes at Bradford Park Avenue

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 am

Anyone got more of these? (with links if poss.) - might do a little article rounding up what the media think of our chances.......
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

MagicBoots

Post by MagicBoots » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

I've been away, so haven't heard anything from the Bradford Game.

Did the lad look any good? Enough for a national newspaper to describe hime as "one to watch"?!

TwoSaints

Post by TwoSaints » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:05 am

mikkyx wrote:Anyone got more of these? (with links if poss.) - might do a little article rounding up what the media think of our chances.......
The Times have us going down http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... =24&page=3

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 am

Paul Grainger has only just been picked up for our youth team (from Sunderland) this season. I find it hard to believe he is our 'one to watch' off the back of one appearence at Bradford PA. They've either looked through our team and blindly picked any random player or its complete mis-identity because I think we all know that out of our young players our 'ones to watch' would be Josh Gray/Curtis Main.

What I do believe is that this is yet another case of a national papers' poor mans attempt at previewing the leagues outside the Premiership/Championship! :thumbdown: :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:29 am

Football (or lower-league football at least) is probably the one thing that the tabloids tend to be better at reporting than the broadsheets (other than the latest exploits of Amy Winehouse, Lily Allen, etc). I've now seen both The Times' and the Guardian's efforts at League Two previews and it's easy to see that they've not done their homework. None of us really know anything about this Granger chap and I doubt The Guardian do either. Looks to me as if they've just picked out a random name from our squad. I've not seen any of pre-season, but from what I've read on here it looks as though Gary Smith will be the one to watch this season (or even Windass if he stays fit).

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am

Anyone got more of these? (with links if poss.)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... eason.html
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

herts_darlo

Post by herts_darlo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 am

mikkyx wrote:Anyone got more of these? (with links if poss.) - might do a little article rounding up what the media think of our chances.......

Well, twohundredpercent (who I normally follow with somewhat slavish devotion) have us finishing 24th...

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=1746

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 am

"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

poly12

Post by poly12 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:38 pm

National newspaper reporting on lower league football has been nothing more than a joke for as long as I can remember.

There's no chance we'll go down. If anything I have a feeling that we might be able to sneak the play offs - particularly if we keep the back 4 of Bower, Miller, Foster and Arnison fit. There won't be teams putting many past us with that defence.

Above all, Colin Todd is the best man for the job given the situation the club is in and most importantly, knows how to get the best from a small squad of players.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:25 am

There's more chance of us going down than making the play offs, although I don't believe we will be relegated.

15 or 16 would be my estimate - and I would be quite happy with that.

doc_64

Post by doc_64 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
forgive if im wrong but didnt david preece go to aberdeen years ago, these posh papers know nowt

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 am

He did indeed, many many years ago.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

doc_64 wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:
forgive if im wrong but didnt david preece go to aberdeen years ago, these posh papers know nowt
:lol:

Fantastic journalism! Bravo!

:clap:

connor2k7ovdarlo

Post by connor2k7ovdarlo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Funny to see in one of the links given a comment has been made on Barry Conlon as...' The Best player in the division'
><
X