Question for lo.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Question for lo.

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:24 am

Lo - Haaland's goal last night - high foot or what?

Surely if a defender kicked the ball, away from goal in a similar manner it would be deemed dangerous play.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Re: Question for lo.

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:24 am

Surely if a defender kicked the ball, away from goal in a similar manner it would be deemed dangerous play.
If an attacker put their head there then yes. As it happened the defenders heads were nowhere near.

Having your foot high isn't an offence. If a player challenges and there is no contact it's indirect for dangerous play, if there is glancing contact then it's a yellow for reckless, if there is direct contact it's a red for serious foul play.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:04 am

But....

You can’t put your foot up in Europe,
You can’t show your studs on the ‘nent,
They take a dim view of a slightly raised shoe,
So think on if you’re up against Ghent
Mullet69uk on Twitter

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:48 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

If an attacker put their head there then yes. As it happened the defenders heads were nowhere near.

Having your foot high isn't an offence. If a player challenges and there is no contact it's indirect for dangerous play, if there is glancing contact then it's a yellow for reckless, if there is direct contact it's a red for serious foul play.
Hmm, I see your point, but in a broader view when the occasional spectacular bicycle kick happens, there can sometimes be defenders heads nearby and the forward involved can't see for sure what's happening, meaning it's down to chance if anyone gets hurt.

What I'm trying to say is some of these spectacular goals can be dangerous manoeuvres, yet that seems to be deemed okay.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:17 am

Not trying to score points, or be pernickety, but shouldn't posts like this be in "The Terrraces"?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:02 pm

I was there last night- Haaland is an absolute beast. Dortmund actually played him well until that moment. I don't think Man City play to his strengths as he likes to play on the counter attack, but City dominate the ball. That goal though....it was one of those "I was there" moments.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Mullet69 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:04 am
But....

You can’t put your foot up in Europe,
You can’t show your studs on the ‘nent,
They take a dim view of a slightly raised shoe,
So think on if you’re up against Ghent
:wave: fellow HMHB fan

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Hmm, I see your point, but in a broader view when the occasional spectacular bicycle kick happens, there can sometimes be defenders heads nearby and the forward involved can't see for sure what's happening, meaning it's down to chance if anyone gets hurt.

What I'm trying to say is some of these spectacular goals can be dangerous manoeuvres, yet that seems to be deemed okay.
Can you give an example of a spectacular goal that, in your view, could’ve been ruled out for dangerous play? (Not Haaland from last night as that’s been explained).

The issue isn’t whether the boot is raised, it’s whether it’s a danger to other players.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Can you give an example of a spectacular goal that, in your view, could’ve been ruled out for dangerous play? (Not Haaland from last night as that’s been explained).

The issue isn’t whether the boot is raised, it’s whether it’s a danger to other players.
Well I can certainly give an example of what I'm getting at - Christian Benteke (Man U v Liverpool - Sept 2015)

Here the defender is in danger of getting a boot in the face, and if he'd had gone for the ball with his head (which he could have done and which he was entitled to do) he would have done. As said above, if you're an attacker executing an overhead kick in a congested area, you don't know if you might injure someone.

Q "Surely if a defender kicked the ball, away from goal in a similar manner it would be deemed dangerous play."
A. "If an attacker put their head there then yes."

That's the point I'm trying to make, it's a foul only "if" the opposition player goes for the ball in a legal way.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:35 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Well I can certainly give an example of what I'm getting at - Christian Benteke (Man U v Liverpool - Sept 2015)

Here the defender is in danger of getting a boot in the face, and if he'd had gone for the ball with his head (which he could have done and which he was entitled to do) he would have done. As said above, if you're an attacker executing an overhead kick in a congested area, you don't know if you might injure someone.

Q "Surely if a defender kicked the ball, away from goal in a similar manner it would be deemed dangerous play."
A. "If an attacker put their head there then yes."

That's the point I'm trying to make, it's a foul only "if" the opposition player goes for the ball in a legal way.
As ever though, context is everything. Benteke begins his manoeuvre before the defender closes into a position where he could be caught. I think it would be unreasonable to penalise Benteke when there’s nothing he could do.

Benteke didn’t cause the danger, the defender did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:46 pm
That's the point I'm trying to make, it's a foul only "if" the opposition player goes for the ball in a legal way
Yeh pretty much, the offence is as a result of the detrimental impact on the opponent.

By the same token you could take a kick off by running and jumping 3 feet in the air and lunging into the ball with two feet (if you really wanted) and it wouldn't be a red card. Probably be classed as a double touch though and people would think you are a bit odd.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:26 am

We've actually got someone arguing spectacular goals should be ruled out on the basis it "could" have been dangerous had a defender done something different. The games gone. Every fouls a booking, every strong tackle a sending off, when did football fan's become such wet blankets.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:49 am

DavidCurriesMullet wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:26 am
We've actually got someone arguing spectacular goals should be ruled out on the basis it "could" have been dangerous had a defender done something different. The games gone. Every fouls a booking, every strong tackle a sending off, when did football fan's become such wet blankets.
I'm not "arguing" any such thing - I asked lo (a referee) to explain the rules then pointed out the slightly paradoxical nature of them.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!