Loan players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

fat tony
Team Supported: Darlington

Loan players

Post by fat tony » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Any suggestions as to which loan players we might be getting in? As the squad stands now we probably need at least 3/4 to fill positions and provide cover. Obviously Todd has mentioned talking to the local big 3 but with Boro going down I'd have thought some of their younger lads might be closer to the first team now. Wouldn't surprise me to see some from Hull coming in as well.

There's an interesting story on the BBC about Todd enquiring about Stockdale on loan...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A54320159

DL5

Re: Loan players

Post by DL5 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 pm

fat tony wrote:Any suggestions as to which loan players we might be getting in? As the squad stands now we probably need at least 3/4 to fill positions and provide cover. Obviously Todd has mentioned talking to the local big 3 but with Boro going down I'd have thought some of their younger lads might be closer to the first team now. Wouldn't surprise me to see some from Hull coming in as well.

There's an interesting story on the BBC about Todd enquiring about Stockdale on loan...
Much as I'd love Stockdale back I don't think a keeper is a priority, Knight and Liversedge should have it covered

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:38 pm

DL5 wrote: Much as I'd love Stockdale back I don't think a keeper is a priority, Knight and Liversedge should have it covered
I agree, Im guessing the enquiry was before Knight was confirmed. Goalkeeper looks like one of the few positions we've got wrapped up.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 am

fat tony wrote:Any suggestions as to which loan players we might be getting in? As the squad stands now we probably need at least 3/4 to fill positions and provide cover. Obviously Todd has mentioned talking to the local big 3 but with Boro going down I'd have thought some of their younger lads might be closer to the first team now. Wouldn't surprise me to see some from Hull coming in as well.

That's our old "friend" barmyarmy on a BBC chatboard - making up more rubbish. He must be completely lost now that rivals is no more :lol:

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:17 am

Cant of seen Knight signing to play 2nd fiddle to another keeper, he came to be first choice, with Turnbull going to Chelsea, Knight will of been on bench duties next season for Boro, instead he chose first team football with us, wouldnt mind seeing Stocky back but i cant see it happening

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 am

It's a load of rubbish. Knight has been told by Todd that he has come in as first choice:

"...It’s reassuring to know that I have come in as the first choice and it gives you confidence...”

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 am

Loan move for Martyn Waghorn in the journal...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle- ... -24145116/

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:27 am

would be happy with that, from what i know he'll give us a different dimension to windass and thorpe as he's a smaller nippy lad but also with a decent build on him so he shouldnt be bullied too much by league 2 defences, hopefully he can have an impact like reddy & proctor did in league 2.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 am

Sounds promising.

Given our budget a pool of four strikers: Windass, Thorpe, Main and Waghorn would be pretty good really.

RH79

Post by RH79 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 am

I would take Waghorn - speaking to Sunlan fans at work he is quite highly rated so it might be a good chance for both him and us. Has he had any experiance of first team football away form the SoL?

I still think we need to add loan cover in midfield and defense (perhaps some kind of utility posistion man) and perhaps two (one including Waghorn?) up front

Toddy is going to have to work the system to bring in some decent cover on little or no money!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 am

Waghorn was on loan at Charlton last season
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I'd be pleased to sign Waghorn, the lad has a lot of potential. Would certainly strengthen our striking options.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Yeah would be happy if we get Waghorn in, good record at reserve and youth level. Didnt have a great time at Charlton but he was playing at a higher standard and a poor side.
If Bruce signs Crouch and Bent you would like to think we have a sniff of bringing him in, wages permitting...

cwisstoffhur

Post by cwisstoffhur » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:41 pm

waghorn.....what a name that is
It's Clobberin' Time

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 pm

According to Sunderland fans, it does look like he is on his way here. Should score bagfuls at this level, hope it does get confirmed

Sam
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker