Stick yer ESL up yer ass

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Nimrod
Team Supported: Darlington

Stick yer ESL up yer ass

Post by Nimrod » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

The only positive from this shoite idea might be increases in attendances lower down the pyramid. I really hope players and managers at the ‘big six’ clubs step down and go to other clubs. ESL. Stick it up your ass. Load of absolute bobbins

jjljks

Re: Stick yer ESL up yer ass

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:35 am

You are not wrong, Nimrod. The only way to deal with this is for all fans and players to shun the ESL. Don't renew season tickets, don't buy their branded merchandise, don't subscribe to the TV channels or web pages. Avoid products from any team sponsor involved. Sell any shares you have in any 'Big 6' & don't vote for any politician who backs the idea. Just for once, stand by UEFA, FIFA & FA (obviously not the National League board)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:18 am

Apparently some of the 6 English clubs are having second thoughts, probably taken aback by the ferocity of the response from the rest of the football world.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 am

The Germans are well ahead of us on this, all clubs should have at least 51% ownership by the fans to stop power grabs.
We should know, as our club has been destroyed by ruthless owners.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 pm

Let them go and hopefully the Premiershit, EFL, NL get proper management structures in place and the pyramid is fully supported and clubs live within their means like in Germany. And if they later want to rejoin make them start at step2

Jersequaker

Post by Jersequaker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm

Yes, I agree, let them join the super league and ban them from the premier league, fa and league cups and see what they say.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Well, that didn't last long, did it? Four of the original twelve have pulled out within 48 hours of the first announcement. :clap: :roll:

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Stick yer ESL up yer ass

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Warning shot, need control away from the money men.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm
Correct this should be regarded as a massive wake up call for those running football in this country. Control of clubs by foreign super rich owners with no regard to the history and origins of their clubs has led to a massive discord between them and their supporters.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Correct this should be regarded as a massive wake up call for those running football in this country. Control of clubs by foreign super rich owners with no regard to the history and origins of their clubs has led to a massive discord between them and their supporters.
The only way to get them out is to hit them in the pocket by not buying merchandise and not renewing season tickets.
Not many will refuse to renew tickets because once gone they may not be able to get them back because of others wanting them so they will fear missing out on watching after the owners sell.
Second problem, the German situation is never going to happen when clubs are valued in the realms of billions of £'s No fan group on this earth can raise 51% of the money to buy Utd, and even if they did, what new "owner" is going to risk such an amount of money on a totally untried,(this country) idea?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Each one of the "Dirty Dozen" will lose at least £8000,000 - LOL.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:16 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm
Each one of the "Dirty Dozen" will lose at least £8000,000 - LOL.
Hope it is the greedy owners who lose the money.
Forget the fans at your peril, it is an expensive lesson!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 am
Old Git wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
The only way to get them out is to hit them in the pocket by not buying merchandise and not renewing season tickets.
Not many will refuse to renew tickets because once gone they may not be able to get them back because of others wanting them so they will fear missing out on watching after the owners sell.
Second problem, the German situation is never going to happen when clubs are valued in the realms of billions of £'s No fan group on this earth can raise 51% of the money to buy Utd, and even if they did, what new "owner" is going to risk such an amount of money on a totally untried,(this country) idea?
The money from season tickets is chicken sh@t nowadays. Citys wage bill was covered by season ticket sales/ cash at turnstiles about 20 years ago, bet it wouldnt cover one player now.

I was born a mile from Maine Road and have had a season ticket 40 years but I wouldnt have gone again just like many other City fans if this ESW crap fest had gone ahead.

Hoping its a massive wake up call for change but doubt it.

Ps I also have a season ticket for Darlo and am in BTB, proper football....my Mrs goes ape but hey ho.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:40 am
Old Git wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
The money from season tickets is chicken sh@t nowadays. Citys wage bill was covered by season ticket sales/ cash at turnstiles about 20 years ago, bet it wouldnt cover one player now.

I was born a mile from Maine Road and have had a season ticket 40 years but I wouldnt have gone again just like many other City fans if this ESW crap fest had gone ahead.

Hoping its a massive wake up call for change but doubt it.

Ps I also have a season ticket for Darlo and am in BTB, proper football....my Mrs goes ape but hey ho.
Totally agree it is chicken feed, but what other way can fans have an effect on the way these people think?
The list to get city season tickets means if you give yours up it will be resold half an hour later, thus little point to the real city fans in giving them up. That leaves merchandise. Where else would you go? Buy your ticket but refuse to go? How many will go along with that?
I am so glad that WHU said from day 1 they would have nothing to do with it. The board get enough flack without getting hit for that.
Going to be a long way back for a few owners.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm
Totally agree it is chicken feed, but what other way can fans have an effect on the way these people think?
Give up your sky and BT sport subscriptions. Go any watch a local non-league side on a Saturday / mid-week. Boycott pubs that are paying for BT and sky subscriptions. Don't support the sponsors who sponsor the clubs / TV. That would be a way for individuals to hit them in their pockets if they want to feel that they are doing something active...

In reality though...activism against those who finance them would actually be more impactful. HSBC have had to about turn on their financing of oil and gas this year due to shareholder revolt, Barclays have had to make new commitments over what they will finance due to activism against their properties. I read that JP Morgan's credit rating has taken a hit as a result of a downgrade on their sustainability following the uproar over this (they were the major backer of the ESL).

If fans groups have their wits about them they would identify which FIs are financing the clubs, and could focus some attention on them.
EDJOHNS wrote:
The list to get city season tickets means if you give yours up it will be resold half an hour later, thus little point to the real city fans in giving them up. That leaves merchandise. Where else would you go? Buy your ticket but refuse to go? How many will go along with that?
Not sure how that would help / work. Are you sure the emptihad is that oversubscribed?
EDJOHNS wrote:
I am so glad that WHU said from day 1 they would have nothing to do with it. The board get enough flack without getting hit for that.
Were West Ham invited?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:27 am

Strange to think so many premier league fans are now shouting about fan ownership. I rarely get to Anfield these days although I do enjoy watching a game now and then last time we ended up in a "tourist section" frustrated at the behaviour of those around us. Such a contrast with a 26,000 swaying kop. I much prefer the proper footie I get with Darlington where I really feel a part of something special and meet up with MCFC and other usual suspects. I cycled out to Manchester this week and we rode past United's Carrington training ground then Trafford's ground -there's the contrast. One weeks wages for one player would probably fund a whole season for Trafford. Maybe fan power can force other changes such as increasing the 56,000 tickets for clubs in the fa cup final but I doubt it.
Last edited by don'tbuythesun on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 am

Yes. Originally 9 English clubs were involved

PS, I have SKY for the rugby league. I watch if WHU are on but don't have any interest in the rest of it and have not had for years.

Darlogramps

Stick yer ESL up yer ass

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:Yes. Originally 9 English clubs were involved

PS, I have SKY for the rugby league. I watch if WHU are on but don't have any interest in the rest of it and have not had for years.
Think you’re getting confused in your old age Edward.

West Ham were never part of the Super League (three UEFA Cup/Europa League appearances in 20 years isn’t exactly on a par with Real Madrid’s record).

West Ham were suggested in Project Big Picture as having enhanced voting rights. And rejected that. I think that’s what you’re referring to.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:44 am

I don’t really enjoy Premier League football anymore. It’s just too sanitised for me. The pitches are always like bowling greens, the players in the main have lost their personalities, the football is spoilt by VAR.

And I object about this latest thing about points deductions for the Big Six (The Big Dix) - it seems no one wants to deduct any points as punishment for their behaviour as it will be unfair to the fans! WTF, It’s never stopped any points deductions before, for any other team throughout the divisions.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 am

The least that should happen is for these "Big 6" to be charged by FA for bringing the game into disrepute, or deeming the owners not to be "fit and proper persons", hence forcing them to relinquish positions. Unfortunately, this just won't happen as the owners have enough spare cash for barristers to drag the sorry mess through the courts & the FA management board is spineless. Am also not expecting Boris & his cronies to make good on his vague promises to do something.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I don’t really enjoy Premier League football anymore. It’s just too sanitised for me. The pitches are always like bowling greens, the players in the main have lost their personalities, the football is spoilt by VAR.

And I object about this latest thing about points deductions for the Big Six (The Big Dix) - it seems no one wants to deduct any points as punishment for their behaviour as it will be unfair to the fans! WTF, It’s never stopped any points deductions before, for any other team throughout the divisions.
I seem to recall the PL using a similar line during the West Ham Tevez affair all those years ago saying it was too late in the season to deduct points. Didn’t stop them hammering the Boro a few years earlier though did it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:07 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I don’t really enjoy Premier League football anymore. It’s just too sanitised for me. The pitches are always like bowling greens, the players in the main have lost their personalities, the football is spoilt by VAR.

I seem to recall the PL using a similar line during the West Ham Tevez affair all those years ago saying it was too late in the season to deduct points. Didn’t stop them hammering the Boro a few years earlier though did it ?

Wow, talk about lumping 2 totally different subjects together to prove your point

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:31 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:07 am
Quaker85 wrote:

Wow, talk about lumping 2 totally different subjects together to prove your point

I think Quaker85 is referring to the point that points deductions are a popular punishment for the smaller clubs, not the bigger ones. That's the way I read it anyway.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:31 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

I think Quaker85 is referring to the point that points deductions are a popular punishment for the smaller clubs, not the bigger ones. That's the way I read it anyway.
Had to smile at that. Just a few comments up a certain someone suggests WHU are NOT a big club yet you are saying they are.
Don't you just love how we all turn things people say to whatever we want them to be?

Ps, does that make me a WHU Massive? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:57 am

I don’t think WHU were a big club back then compared to the Boro in terms of fan base and revenue but benefitted enormously from being based in London.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:20 am

But didn't they win the World Cup in '66?!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:31 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

Had to smile at that. Just a few comments up a certain someone suggests WHU are NOT a big club yet you are saying they are.
Don't you just love how we all turn things people say to whatever we want them to be?

Ps, does that make me a WHU Massive? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I didn’t say anything about how big a club West Ham are.

I was just correcting you, after you made up the idea West Ham were invited into the Super League.

And pointed out West Ham’s lack of European exploits would reinforce that idea.

You’re the one seeing things through Claret and Blue-tinted glasses Ted.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am

To the original point that I made about points - West Ham are a "big club"

So to repeat myself, the football authorities love dishing out points deductions, fines and stuff to lower level clubs but as soon as it is implied or suggested that Chelsea/Man Utd and other foreign owned big cheeses are to suffer a similar fate, then it's deemed to be "unfair to the fans" as it's not "their fans or their teams fault". Darlo going into admin was not the team or fans fault X3 :thumbdown:

To me it's unfair to Dover fans that their team is now fighting a 40K fine for something that isn't even their Chairman's fault - other teams apply.

Shearer had a suggestion last night on MOTD that the Big Six should get big fines and this money should be passed down the leagues. A nice thought but it won't happen.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am

So to repeat myself, the football authorities love dishing out points deductions, fines and stuff to lower level clubs but as soon as it is implied or suggested that Chelsea/Man Utd and other foreign owned big cheeses are to suffer a similar fate, then it's deemed to be "unfair to the fans" as it's not "their fans or their teams fault". Darlo going into admin was not the team or fans fault X3 :thumbdown:

To me it's unfair to Dover fans that their team is now fighting a 40K fine for something that isn't even their Chairman's fault - other teams apply.

Shearer had a suggestion last night on MOTD that the Big Six should get big fines and this money should be passed down the leagues. A nice thought but it won't happen.
Same thing applies to how rule transgressions are dealt with in the FA Cup. You can almost guarantee that a non-league club will be expelled for fielding an illegible player. Leagues 1&2, again almost certain to be expelled. But didn't Tottenham get let off with a fine and a slap on the wrist when they did it? I can't recall the details tbh.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:41 am

Quaker85 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am

Same thing applies to how rule transgressions are dealt with in the FA Cup. You can almost guarantee that a non-league club will be expelled for fielding an illegible player. Leagues 1&2, again almost certain to be expelled. But didn't Tottenham get let off with a fine and a slap on the wrist when they did it? I can't recall the details tbh.
In fairness, it’s very easy to claim Big Team Bias, but actually it’s a bit more nuanced than that.

Remember in our NPL-winning season. We fielded an ineligible player and got away with a fine, when realistically we could have got a 12pt deduction.

I do believe the FA looks at cases on its merits. We’ve both been hit by that, and benefited from it too.