It is no wonder this site is

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Footifanreturns
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:46 am

The usage on this site appears to have drastically diminished over recent times, certainly compared to recent years.

I am not talking about the out of season drop off that usually happens.

I know I used to be on here several times a day reading comments about Darlo & associated topics. I would chip in with occasional posts if a I felt a response was needed or I had the information requested.
It was usually pretty well contributed to by lots of different users, even regular choker fans would be tolerated even if just for the sport.
Lots of information regarding what was going on, news updates, obviously lots of debates often with differing views, which is very healthy & often fun to take part in or just sit back & watch.
I know a few still endeavour to do that & it is appreciated ... well until it is jumped on by some warrior.

Now it appears to be at a low ebb, it seems every time I log on, see a subject of interest, I click on it ... low & hold it has been hijacked by petty arguments that often have relationship to the original subjects. A nastiness has surfaced for having an opinion not concurred with, a lot of it totally uncalled for insults, more than likely would not be dared to said to a persons face. That is not banter, that is malicious point scoring.
It is not a matter of being thin skinned,I can grapple with the best of them.

Quite frankly it is tiresome to the extreme, I am all for opinion & debate but this just just becoming boring, maybe others have drifted away thinking the same.
I post this because I genuinely love this club & have tried to support in anyway I could over the years. I am now getting to the point of wondering if I should bother. The fun is going out if it.

Those that know me know how to get it touch if they need to get in touch.
I will not respond further to this post. I am sure those that want to will, I know it won't make a difference but it had to be said.

QUAKERMAN2

Re: It is no wonder this site is

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am

Totally see your point Chris, this message board has lost quite a few names over the years for whatever reasons.It is all about opinions, you can agree or disagree, but some of the replies are uncalled for and as you say these develop into lengthy, over the top arguments.For that reason I have refrained from giving an honest opinion on many occasions, happy to accept any alternative views, but some of the stuff posted on here gets too personal.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:44 am

Good post , I agree to some of your points, this to me is still a go to place for any news or or comments about all things Darlo, but you are right threads just get hi jacked and become childish point scoring, it’s only a few posters on here, but you can almost guarantee every thread ends up that way.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Quite a few people have drifted on to Tin Shed and Twitter.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:05 pm

I do find it ironic footifanreturns, who is more than happy to indulge in name calling, bickering, point-scoring and petty arguments, is now decrying those very things.

The hypocritical, holier-than-thou act won’t wash I’m afraid. You’re as bad as anyone else.

FWIW, I don’t actually think the board’s in bad shape. There are still plenty of active topics despite little going on in the close season.

Plus I think Facebook and Twitter have taken a more prominent role ahead of forums when it comes to debate. But this board is doing all right in my view, and I think Scott and Mikkyx do a great job. Compare this place to somewhere like NonLeagueZone, which is practically dead now, Uncovered is doing fine.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

Darlo Uncovered has been instrumental in helping to keep our club alive, and like all good things it shouldn't be taken for granted.

The sharing of info, money raising and letting us get together to communicate, it's all good stuff and better than many other clubs have, even higher level clubs.

It will be quiet here for a while but like our football team - it will be back.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

I agree with Gramps on this. The fruity free speech you sometimes read seems inevitable given how strongly people feel about the club and gentleman's disagreements should be part of a lively site. I like the threads because you also get plenty of abrasive wit and because of the seasoned commentary from people who remember and value players like Terry Fleming and Lance Robson. In an extended close season knocked off course by Covid you will get flat patches but compared to other threads I know such as York City or Notts County, Darlo Uncovered looks pretty good.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 pm

As I don't live in or anywhere nearly darlo this is usually my go to point for information... Generally speaking its OK but I do find at times it's an embarrassing read for anyone looking on for the 1st time and certainly wouldn't encourage new uses to come on regular.. Quite often threads do get high jacked by stupid childish arguments throwing "opinions" back and forth but not actually going anywhere and ending way off topic.. If threads stay on track then this site is still valuable to exiled and away fans.. If not it becomes cringe worthy at times.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 pm

I think some people take things too personal on here, although you do need to be thick skinned at times. Perhaps I should reprieve the ROH, that generated a bit of banter on here. :lol:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:55 pm

I don't think it's too bad, and the tinshed (on facebook) was far worse. I don't use facebook anymore anyway and i'm a lurker on twitter (work account) so I stick with here. To be honest,the big reason it's quiet now is because there's nowt to talk about really. I think we're all sick of covid, it's hard to speculate what will happen with the squad... so what else do we have to talk about? Memories and the stadium. That's about it. My posting is way down and I won't be the only one. It'll change.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:49 am

Whilst I agree that some threads become tedious the vast majority of the board posts are decent and good humoured. It's quite normal for things to slow down in the close season and there's very little to discuss. It feels quite reassuring not to be in crisis as we have been so often in the past. I lump myself in with the "exiles" but have no links with Darlington other than the team and this forum has been a great source of information and banter for me over the years.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Not sure why the decline of this message board should have the original poster considering whether to continue to support the club or not.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Having left TIn Shed site a couple of years ago this board is fine, yes you can get into ridiculous arguments but unfortunately that’s football, what I would say is every poster is passionate and cares about the club, Football is worse than politics about who is right, so long live Uncovered.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:23 am

Arguements and name-calling on uncovered are nothing new. It's been that was for the 20+ years I've used this forum. What I would say is that the rise of Twitter and Social Media, and general divisions in, shall we say, political opinion, now seem to have emboldened people to stick the knife in online more than they used to.

There's definitely less traffic than there was, but like plenty of others have pointed out, Facebook and Twitter provide an alternative place for discussion and they are more mainstream than this site will ever be.

Uncovered has been instrumental in keeping the club going, keeping people informed and involved wherever they are in the world. I'm sure it still has a part to play and just needs to adapt to the way people use the internet. It basically picked up the role of the fanzine into the internet age and allowed lots of people a voice.

I've made plenty of friends via uncovered who I wouldn't have otherwise met being an exile for the last 19 years and those friendships have encouraged me to travel to more games than I otherwise would have and in turn kept me more interested in the football.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Feethams 1965

Post by Feethams 1965 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:17 pm

I get fed up of the point scoring too which is why I visit the site les and less.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:17 pm

How I miss the good old days on the rivals board.

The ROH, KingKev, J0O1 and his cool and sombre 4-0 victories, blue_stripes, toothless (RIP) et al and who could forget the Ted Forster saga? Now all we have left is two feuding old codgers, where did it all go wrong?

What ever happened to the good old days when Andy Park tried to sign Guylain Ndumbu Nsungu? Or when Darlo_Cockney called for Quakerz to be banned before asserting with some confidence Darlo would be playing at the Arena next season - FACT! And what ever happened to Jazz Maverick? He livened the place up with his tantrums and insults.

I think this place is just a burger van thread or a sponsored walk away from being reignited and as for the TinShed facebook page I also left as there was just too many wet wipes and cry babies and you dared not speak ill of a certain former player.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Since "Seatgate" and all the bother with Gray there hasn't been a great deal of controversy surrounding Darlo, and we more or less sing from the same hymn sheet these days.

When the club is run in a sensible way there's less to chew over - even less when none of us have seen a game for over a year.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PolamLane

Post by PolamLane » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:05 pm

As an exile of many years standing i find this site by far the best resource to keep in touch with whats going on...FB might be more of the instant type reactions but the more coherent debates are on here. I dont post very often at all but i regard it as a Darlo lifeline....obviously quiet at the moment but still massive traffic compared to my local non-league team site........

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:06 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Since "Seatgate" and all the bother with Gray there hasn't been a great deal of controversy surrounding Darlo
https://twitter.com/Official_Darlo/stat ... 40258?s=20

Spoke too soon!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:55 am

I found a pm I hadn't noticed from March at 7.45. There were 202 guests looking at the site. I don't always log in so maybe it's livelier than it appears even in this quiet time.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:41 am

TBF, it is the "null & void" season which has extended the close season. DJ & AA waiting to see what finances are like for next season after all the options for season ticket refunds, voucher schemes and ludicrous fines by NL, so speculation on targets in transfer market is nil. Nice to share memories about the old days, but lots of contributors to this forum were not born then so can't chip in. Yes, there is some playground-like pointscoring & occasional abuse which spoils things, but in the main Virtual Forum keeps fans interested & involved in our club even though they may be locked-down or exiled. The future of our club requires us to build support, not just on the faithful through the turnstiles, but also this wider audience. Mission Impossible was the pre-WWW forerunner of Uncovered and this Forum has to keep the spirit alive.