Promotion from Step 2

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Promotion from Step 2

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 am

Ollie Bayliss is reporting that it could be back on...

"Following meetings with National League officials, a proposal for a National North & South competition will be tabled.

The combined Step 2 league would result in promotion.

It needs approval from National League clubs, the Alliance Committee (who meet Monday) & the FA Council. https://t.co/fK1xY20zAe"

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 90562?s=19

One of our fans has commented that it is shambolic for promotion to be on the cards if not every team is involved.

They are not the only ones mind BPA, Chester and Brackley fans are suggesting if this were to go through then they will have had something taken away from them - ie the chance of promotion which doesn't currently exist.

Personally I don't think that just because we can't have it nobody else should is a particularly adult response to this.

Surely we wanted the season to be null & void to protect ourselves financially, not to stop other clubs being promoted. If other clubs can afford it then so be it.

The bigger issue is the NL clubs who thought the threat of relegation had been removed...
Last edited by lo36789 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Promotion from Step 2

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 am

Your last sentence sums it up.

All of a sudden Kings Lynn have started to play again after they said they couldn't :o - and Dover will be getting twitchy!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:11 am

What a bonkers idea. I presume this would be regionalised? Hopefully this will not come to fruition & this season will be allowed to just end with no promotion.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:21 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:11 am
What a bonkers idea. I presume this would be regionalised? Hopefully this will not come to fruition & this season will be allowed to just end with no promotion.
Why? Why are we bothered if someone else has a chance at promotion?

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:04 am

I personally have no issues with teams that decide to carry on, but believe it should be a combined league to make it a suitably sized competitive league.

If those teams can afford it, including the extra travelling, it is nothing off our backs surely, we made our decision on the league.

Just my opinion of course, and takes away those moans from some clubs fans about missing out.

Just hope that some of the clubs taking part don't financially ruin themselves for years to come, but there decision.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am

A few suggestions in random order

1. Every club should opt into this league - register team of players - who are fans etc - all volunteers - pay own travel expenses etc. The proposal could not run with 40+ teams taking part in time available!

2. Is this proposal even lawful? Promotion to the NL is only from the NLN/S which have been null and voided. This new "league(s)" cannot be NLS/S as they are voided. Can you change where teams are promoted from in middle of season?

3. Just like with the proposal to Null and void the league- it will possibly need a special resolution for which their have to be 28 ( or is it 21?) days between resolution being published and the vote. This would mean sometime in April before a decision is made

4. If there is to be promotion from this new league, should there not be threat of relegation for sides finishing bottom?

Its a bit like Brexit with losers refusing to accept the results

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:32 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am
A few suggestions in random order

1. Every club should opt into this league - register team of players - who are fans etc - all volunteers - pay own travel expenses etc. The proposal could not run with 40+ teams taking part in time available!

2. Is this proposal even lawful? Promotion to the NL is only from the NLN/S which have been null and voided. This new "league(s)" cannot be NLS/S as they are voided. Can you change where teams are promoted from in middle of season?

3. Just like with the proposal to Null and void the league- it will possibly need a special resolution for which their have to be 28 ( or is it 21?) days between resolution being published and the vote. This would mean sometime in April before a decision is made

4. If there is to be promotion from this new league, should there not be threat of relegation for sides finishing bottom?

Its a bit like Brexit with losers refusing to accept the results
1. Why? To simply spoil a situation for others. Why do other people dislike others having nice things so much?

2. What has the law got to do with it. The law says the NL must abide by its constitution so as long as resolutions are appropriately voted on of course it is lawful. Point me towards the UK legislation which says a football league can't change its format.

3. Yes to be lawful it would. I guess they could start playing and ask for retrospective permission.

4. Why. The terms of promotion and relegation are determined by the resolution which is made. There are already not enough teams at Step 2 so why relegate.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:21 pm

Question four would be answered by the FA restructure of non-league. Plan was always to expand Step 2 to 48 clubs. It’s currently at 43. The suggestion is the FA wants to continue with the restructuring.

So no relegation and you promote five clubs from Step Three. No idea how they decide which five clubs though.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:21 pm
Question four would be answered by the FA restructure of non-league. Plan was always to expand Step 2 to 48 clubs. It’s currently at 43. The suggestion is the FA wants to continue with the restructuring.

So no relegation and you promote five clubs from Step Three. No idea how they decide which five clubs though.
Would most likely become 42 as I'd expect the Macclesfield vacancy to be passed down to the NLN and NLS. Cant remember exactly what the feeder leagues are now. Northern Premier League, Southern Premier League and the Isthmian League? If so, potentially 2 promoted from each of those but as you say no idea how they would be chosen as you can't decide a league on the 10 or so games they'd played up to the point they were stopped.

I would find it interesting to know which teams would play on if there was threat of relegation, would the likes of Concord etc really commit to this league following the N&V vote if there was a potential they be in the Southern League. I say this mainly because there has been so much bleating about the integrity of the league above and how could the FL relegate if the NL wasn't etc that it really should work both ways. If clubs at step 3 were to do the same why shouldn't there be? To me this is just teams looking at a shortcut to success. With teams like Chester and Dulwich not competing its another potential rival out of the picture and a quicker route to the national league for one or two of them.

I see Hungerford Town have today removed themselves from the conversation of a combined NLN and NLS league as they wouldn't be able to make the travelling work. Potentially trips such as Eastbourne to York and Fylde (550 to 600 mill round trips) from the teams still left. Not that I think it would bother York or Fylde that is.

But tbh I feel very live and let live about the situation. If they have the money to do it good luck to them, if spending that money down the road leads to them getting into trouble then likewise they made their beds. Most of all though just glad we're safe and can get prepped for next season, its going to be an important one where we see some good progress on the pitch. Good interview with DJ on the club site talking about preparations will be underway for next season and that the new BTB will be launched in May.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 pm

https://t.co/ZUnrYy4wWt?ssr=true

Somebody has made some guesses.

The proposal made by many clubs was to do it base on PPG over the last two null and voided seasons.

Again it goes back to if the alternative is no promotion for anybody, then who has missed out if there is effectively just a cherry picker.

Darlogramps

Promotion from Step 2

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 pm

lo36789 wrote:https://t.co/ZUnrYy4wWt?ssr=true

Somebody has made some guesses.

The proposal made by many clubs was to do it base on PPG over the last two null and voided seasons.

Again it goes back to if the alternative is no promotion for anybody, then who has missed out if there is effectively just a cherry picker.
Guesses being the operative word. That Google Doc is all over the place.

Can’t see how the leagues could relegate any Step 2 sides who have already voted to null and void the season.

Had the prospect of relegation been on the table, clubs would have voted differently. And that would have needed to be made clear before the vote.

Can’t see any relegation happening from Step 2.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Agreed - they seem to have drawn relegations but in their summary not called any out.

There could be a question of voluntary relegation mind there are a few clubs up and down the pyramid who I believe have asked for it.