Fans’ forum

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Fans’ forum

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Really good and impressive presentation from DJ and the team.

Idea of moving back to the Arena has been kiboshed for now (Josh will be happy).

Interesting line from Dave Mills saying the relationship with the rugby club at Blackwell is as good as it’s ever been.

Club in a much-improved financial position, as per the accounts released last week, making a small profit this year.

AA targeting three new additions for next season - another CM, someone else in defence and another goalkeeper.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Re: Fans’ forum

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Very mundane/steady of the road answers.

I write that as a positive as well :thumbup:

I mean sensible answers before anyone questions the above.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm

It's also clear there's been a groundswell of anger from many clubs against the NL governance. DJ expecting changes up top there and legal challenges afoot by some clubs.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:49 pm
Very mundane/steady of the road answers.

I write that as a positive as well :thumbup:

I mean sensible answers before anyone questions the above.
The days of a manager using it to try and implement a takeover are no longer!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm
It's also clear there's been a groundswell of anger from many clubs against the NL governance. DJ expecting changes up top there and legal challenges afoot by some clubs.

Yes - that bit was of particular interest to me.

Because of the League's uselessness we have maybe lost £100K and D.J. said the governance issue had been mentioned 'in the house'. He also said not taking minutes at the crucial meeting was "a schoolboy error". Another another little bit of info concerned the resignation of Mark Ives predecessor. He should have given 6 months notice but was gone in a flash.

None of the people in positions of power should remain after this, D.J. implied the the clubs will take action to have a clear out at the appropriate time.

The sooner the better for me.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 pm

One thing that I picked up on from DJ was more positivity about our future being at Blackwell. He all but ruled out a return to the Arena and stressed the need for us to develop our own stadium. He indicated that some discussion with the Council had taken place regarding possible sites for a stadium without success. When asked about trying to purchase Blackwell he failed to rule it out and mentioned the possibility of developing the open end.
Add to that talk of our relationship with the Rugby Club never being better and I have the impression that our long term future is looking more likely to be at Blackwell than anywhere else.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Yes - that bit was of particular interest to me.

Because of the League's uselessness we have maybe lost £100K and D.J. said the governance issue had been mentioned 'in the house'. He also said not taking minutes at the crucial meeting was "a schoolboy error". Another another little bit of info concerned the resignation of Mark Ives predecessor. He should have given 6 months notice but was gone in a flash.

None of the people in positions of power should remain after this, D.J. implied the the clubs will take action to have a clear out at the appropriate time.

The sooner the better for me.
If you haven't already done so, listen to what the Maidstone guy has said in one of the links. He said we don't need the NL as a level any more really. A restructure of the EFL could lead to the EFL taking over governance of 'League 3' with the bodies below ( Current Step 3) taking charge of North and South. TV money clearly would stand in the way but would be the best all round.

Fat josh

Post by Fat josh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Idea of moving back to the Arena has been kiboshed for now (Josh will be happy).

Interesting line from Dave Mills saying the relationship with the rugby club at Blackwell is as good as it’s ever been.
Not a suprise at all, I knew this was inevitable after the majority of true fans rose up and refused to accept the cursed Arena was viable in any shape or form.

Will never ever happen now
Told you ages ago I was taking care of it

Poor old cold caller double glazing salesman creepy leery serial shagger Pete will be crying into his cornflakes this morning..
My work is done

Farewell :wave:
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:43 am

Fat josh wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Not a suprise at all, I knew this was inevitable after the majority of true fans rose up and refused to accept the cursed Arena was viable in any shape or form.

Poor old cold caller double glazing salesman creepy leery serial shagger Pete will be crying into his cornflakes this morning..
My work is done

Hope that is a final farewell from you. I can put up with your anti Arena bullshit but when you are disrespecting the legend that is Darlo Pete you are beyond the pale my friend. Now go forth and multiply.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Fat josh wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

My work is done

I’m not so sure - for the last 5 years it’s been Arena then Blackwell then swinging between the two. We do seem by Dave Mills to have a much better relationship with DRFC with the new board in place but that can equally change again. Take away Covid we still need £2m or so to develop stadium for next level and I just can’t see club without outside investment every doing this over the short term with 14/15 years left on licence. Great if we can but I still believe we need some serious outside investment to work along the fan owned model which is patently difficult to do. Thats for the long term just looking forward to be back in Blackwell in August.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:27 pm
Fat josh wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

My work is done

I’m not so sure - for the last 5 years it’s been Arena then Blackwell then swinging between the two. We do seem by Dave Mills to have a much better relationship with DRFC with the new DRFC board in place but that can equally change again. Take away Covid we still need £2m or so to develop stadium for next level and I just can’t see club without outside investment every doing this over the short term with 14/15 years left on licence. Great if we can but I still believe we need some serious outside investment to work along the fan owned model which is patently difficult to do. Thats for the long term just looking forward to be back in Blackwell in August.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:34 pm

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:09 am

quakersfan wrote:
We do seem by Dave Mills to have a much better relationship with DRFC with the new board in place but that can equally change again.
I don't know how likely this is to be honest. The new board at the rugby club was effectively a takeover from Mike Wilkinson.

I doubt that he is ever returning and in reality, as was mentioned but disputed by many, it was never the "rugby club" collectively that was the problem it was generally the behaviour of one individual.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am

quakersfan wrote:
Fat josh wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

My work is done

I’m not so sure - for the last 5 years it’s been Arena then Blackwell then swinging between the two. We do seem by Dave Mills to have a much better relationship with DRFC with the new board in place but that can equally change again. Take away Covid we still need £2m or so to develop stadium for next level and I just can’t see club without outside investment every doing this over the short term with 14/15 years left on licence. Great if we can but I still believe we need some serious outside investment to work along the fan owned model which is patently difficult to do. Thats for the long term just looking forward to be back in Blackwell in August.
2 million? Where have you pulled that figure from? Or do you mean the football league?

For the national, we just need to add 700 to existing capacity. A decent depth terrace at the open end would be enough (we might need some extra turnstiles also). The whole groundwork done so far wasn't 2 million quid!

I'm happy to stay at Blackwell in the short to medium term. We need to get to the next level and establish ourselves there before we even think about football league level. The arena isn't a viable option for doing that, imo, and I'm glad it's being ruled out.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:20 pm

Great effort by participants (virtual audience included) and came away with a sense of inclusion. Ray S did his bit by pushing through questions and getting concise answers. Would not swap DJ & Co for any multimillionaire owner or NL Board member.